S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    considering the HUGE and stupid delay????

by the time scifi milks adn airs it, only the non-internet fans will likely have an interest.

most net savvy ones will already know whether or not each eps is worth watching

skiffy is basically shooting themselves in the foot with their lame delay
    In some cases, they'll have seen it for themselves already - I'd lay odds that somebody will offer illegal downloads or post it on someplace like YouTube.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      This does not surprise me in the slightest. Rather a dog in the manger attitude I think - "we don't want it, but dang it, nobody else is gonna have it either!"
      In fairness to SciFi, if somebody else has it, it becomes potential competition.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

considering the HUGE and stupid delay????

by the time scifi milks adn airs it, only the non-internet fans will likely have an interest.

most net savvy ones will already know whether or not each eps is worth watching

skiffy is basically shooting themselves in the foot with their lame delay
        actually, I think they are shooting themselves somewhere north of knees and south of the waist.
        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
          In fairness to SciFi, if somebody else has it, it becomes potential competition.
          I was referring mainly to their option of not allowing MGM to air a seaon 11 on another network (if such could be found). I understand the business rationale, but it still comes off as petty. Although, a season 11 like 9 and 10 is probably better left undone...no, not probably!
          sigpic

Comment

in other words, they don't really want it. are willing to 'ruin' it for everyone else, don't want anyone else to have it

oh, but if you give it to us for FREE, sure we'll take it
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
              Thankfully, in this instance we have the luxury of being able to consign the elements of the package we dislike to the rubbish bin.
              Assuming I'd want to buy the set I wouldn't throw Mitchell away. I'd sell him to the highest bidder in the "Mitchell rocks" fan club. The higher the better.

Suse(themercenary)
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524 View Post
                I can't think of one well received, Emmy winning show that didn't lose quality over the years: Cheers, Frasier, MASH, The Xfiles. I honestly think the creative juices start to run dry, and why wouldn't they? 7, 8, 9, 10 years is a long, long time for writers and actors, viewers and a premise. Characters that previously had some depth (Sam Malone, for example) can spiral into caricature.

Yet, I can't help but wonder why Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Atlantis, two much newer shows that aren't suffering from age and possible creative burn out, aren't doing much better in the ratings department.
                Great points.
                I have wondered why there seems to be a time limit on shows... Nothing new under the sun? Is there really a limit to human creativity? Is it the same writers' neurons firing the same neuronal circuits and thus generating the same ideas? If TPTB "think tank" has stagnant water (images of Finding Nemo's filthy fish tank in the dentist's office), clean the tank, and put fresh water in. Ie new writers, new characters. In the end life's stories often seem the same, but the people different. The differences/ variables in people make possible the huge number of variables in each story. I am astounded at the creative process in general, how do you invent a character, a story, etc... Pretty neat, really, I think there must be some more creative juice out there - more than we've seen in seasons 9 and 10.

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                We see glimpses of the gate...and glimmers of the team of old...but they've lost the "thing"...
                Ditto, agree totally!

to heck with STargate Command

new commander, new cast, new crew. NEW WRITERS

The only thing that crosses over is a few ideas and names.
                I agree, but wouldn't mind the old team a little more often... I just like seeing them

Oh, and one more thing, IMHO, and no offense to anyone, but I personally find the Ori idea way to obvious and predictable, and the whole Merlin thing seems out of place to me - grasping at plot straws. I guess I like the SG1 shows that debate an idea, bring up something brand new, etc.. the same reasons I love reading scifi - new applications of current knowledge, new ways of looking at things, NEW IDEAS!
                Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                  Oh, and one more thing, IMHO, and no offense to anyone, but I personally find the Ori idea way to obvious and predictable, and the whole Merlin thing seems out of place to me - grasping at plot straws. I guess I like the SG1 shows that debate an idea, bring up something brand new, etc.. the same reasons I love reading scifi - new applications of current knowledge, new ways of looking at things, NEW IDEAS!
                  the Ori to me come off as a very lame and half baked 'let's make some social commentary' villian (always a bad way to base a villian) and merlin???? comes off as self-indulgent silliness.

kind of : ooh, merlin. yeah, that'll be cool. swords and armor and everything. we can really have fun with that one!!!!

the key to making social commentary, it's gotta be done with a very light touch. You have to take care with it. Don't just whack it around with a sledge hammer and crow bar and then wonder why there's some collateral damage

I think they tried to put a face on the emotionalless of the Ori with ADria, but then took the low road of making her sexy and scantily clad and pretty, thus putting pandering to the fan boys above making Adria real in any way.

There are so many opportunities in the show, but they just keep mishandling them and every time you think they stumble across something, they drop down to the lowest common denominator (sex and explosions) every single time

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                    I agree, but wouldn't mind the old team a little more often... I just like seeing them
                    I'd love to see them. HEll i'd love to see the team this year, but if the new show is to have any legs and stability, they need to avoid the crutch of 'we need a ratings boost, let's bring back so and so to pump them up a bit'

teh show needs to stand on its own. no stunt casting, no smoke and mirrors, just the solid base of good actors and good writing

which pretty much means teh only people they should keep aroudn are the crew, not the directors, not the actors adn PLEASE not the writers.
                    cut these boys loose and let them get back to their comic books and anime and American Pie

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
                      I'll send you virtual cookies AND virtual chocolate if you write that!
                      I can't pass that up! I'll see what I can do... have a few fanfics running at the moment but I am so inspired to write this one. Will post link (or PM you) when I have it done

Comment

I'd love to see them. HEll i'd love to see the team this year, but if the new show is to have any legs and stability, they need to avoid the crutch of 'we need a ratings boost, let's bring back so and so to pump them up a bit'

teh show needs to stand on its own. no stunt casting, no smoke and mirrors, just the solid base of good actors and good writing

which pretty much means teh only people they should keep aroudn are the crew, not the directors, not the actors adn PLEASE not the writers.
                        cut these boys loose and let them get back to their comic books and anime and American Pie
                        Well and when they do bring a character back, the character is only a shadow of what it use to be. Where is the Baal that tortured Jack to death over and over again? They cloned him into clowns and turned him into a joke.
                        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

but, but, but it's so much more FUN that way!!!!!!!!!!!

rule #1 of Coop's Credo of Craptacular Complacancy

thou must mock everything about yourself, and if you have anything 'good' in the franchise, muck it up as often and quickly as possible to maintian your fine mediocre standards

IE, if there's a piece of fine antique Wedgewood china on the table, please use it as an ashtray. Cause it's so much cooler that way

sigpic

Comment

the Ori to me come off as a very lame and half baked 'let's make some social commentary' villian (always a bad way to base a villian) and merlin???? comes off as self-indulgent silliness.

kind of : ooh, merlin. yeah, that'll be cool. swords and armor and everything. we can really have fun with that one!!!!

the key to making social commentary, it's gotta be done with a very light touch. You have to take care with it. Don't just whack it around with a sledge hammer and crow bar and then wonder why there's some collateral damage

I think they tried to put a face on the emotionalless of the Ori with ADria, but then took the low road of making her sexy and scantily clad and pretty, thus putting pandering to the fan boys above making Adria real in any way.

There are so many opportunities in the show, but they just keep mishandling them and every time you think they stumble across something, they drop down to the lowest common denominator (sex and explosions) every single time
                            Excellent points. I never found the ancients all that interesting in the first place and these "anti-ancients" just don't work for me. And they've made the Ori sooo powerful that any way the writers come up with to have SG1 defeat them has got to come off as totally contrived.

I can see that they wanted to look for a new mythology once the goa'uld were pretty much defeated but Merlin? And ok, even if you took Merlin & the Arthurian legends, (I'm no expert on them) but I think there might be more depth there than what they've used.

I love your point about Adria. Even if you decided to make her young, why does that necessitate scantily clad? And actually most traditional cultures revere the elderly, so they could have had Adria age or appear to age to around 70, so that she'd be seen as a wise elder and therefore have more credibility with the average villager. Wouldn't that have been turning tv convention on its head?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                              Wouldn't that have been turning tv convention on its head?
                              it woulda ruined their stunt casting with morena

don';t get me wrong, she's a lovely lady and i'm sure she's a very nice person, but they took what little depth she could have had and then erased it by making her yet another 'sexy alien babe'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                Excellent points. I never found the ancients all that interesting in the first place and these "anti-ancients" just don't work for me. And they've made the Ori sooo powerful that any way the writers come up with to have SG1 defeat them has got to come off as totally contrived.

I can see that they wanted to look for a new mythology once the goa'uld were pretty much defeated but Merlin? And ok, even if you took Merlin & the Arthurian legends, (I'm no expert on them) but I think there might be more depth there than what they've used.

I love your point about Adria. Even if you decided to make her young, why does that necessitate scantily clad? And actually most traditional cultures revere the elderly, so they could have had Adria age or appear to age to around 70, so that she'd be seen as a wise elder and therefore have more credibility with the average villager. Wouldn't that have been turning tv convention on its head?
                                All those with gray hair (or no hair) are gone!!
                                sigpic
                                Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                                My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Working...
                                X