S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    And I thought this was a thread with the word Anti in it, which I thought was to be totally ignored

And I thought also, unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
      Somebody please inform AGateFan (Ignore list in my case) that there's something called "PRIVATE LIFE". Michael Shanks took the time off for two episodes when his wife gave birth to their second child late March and for the second time for another two episodes when his oldest daughter came to Vancouver to spend some time with her dad during summer holidays. This "poor guy" asked for the free time himself and wasn't written out deliberately.
      for someone who hates the very existence of this thread, you sure spend a lot of time lurking on it.

If peopel are on your ignore list, why are you reading their posts? kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it????

now the topic is the anti- s10 thread. So let's keep things on topic. If there's no aspect of s10 that people don't like, then they are likely better placed playing in the pro threads
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

oh, and while i'm at it. Dislike their jobs all you want, but do not call tptb names. dont' call the actors names.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          yes. bingo.

why is it so many once great tv shows end with a fizzle? there are VERY few that go out just as good as they came.

sally
          *M*A*S*H* was among the longest running TV series in history. The Korean War ended and the MASH Unit broke down camp and shipped home to the States. A touching and dignified ending. Many original characters were still members of the cast! When key characters left the show, a new character was rotated in their place as is the case with the military. The new characters EARNED their place among the leads.

BTW the *M*A*S*H* exterior scenes were shot in the remote (at the time) areas of Malibu, California.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
            *M*A*S*H* was among the longest running TV series in history. The Korean War ended and the MASH Unit broke down camp and shipped home to the States. A touching and dignified ending. Many original characters were still members of the cast! When key characters left the show, a new character was rotated in their place as is the case with the military. The new characters EARNED their place among the leads.

BTW the *M*A*S*H* exterior scenes were shot in the remote (at the time) areas of Malibu, California.
            I guess here it comes down to a matter of opinion again. I thought the finale of MASH was overwrought and the show started to go down the overly-preachy road once Frank left; I loved the beginning with Trapper and Henry Blake.

I still thought it was ok with BJ, who wasn't nearly as much fun as Trapper, and Col. Potter who wasn't nearly as goofy as Henry, but you still had Frank and the cross dressing Klinger. Once Frank left and Klinger went straight, I thought the show became very one note, obviously anti-war, as opposed to the subversive early anti-war humor.

I can't think of one well received, Emmy winning show that didn't lose quality over the years: Cheers, Frasier, MASH, The Xfiles. I honestly think the creative juices start to run dry, and why wouldn't they? 7, 8, 9, 10 years is a long, long time for writers and actors, viewers and a premise. Characters that previously had some depth (Sam Malone, for example) can spiral into caricature.

Yet, I can't help but wonder why Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Atlantis, two much newer shows that aren't suffering from age and possible creative burn out, aren't doing much better in the ratings department.

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524 View Post
              I guess here it comes down to a matter of opinion again. I thought the finale of MASH was overwrought and the show started to go down the overly-preachy road once Frank left; I loved the beginning with Trapper and Henry Blake.

I still thought it was ok with BJ, who wasn't nearly as much fun as Trapper, and Col. Potter who wasn't nearly as goofy as Henry, but you still had Frank and the cross dressing Klinger. Once Frank left and Klinger went straight, I thought the show became very one note, obviously anti-war, as opposed to the subversive early anti-war humor.

I can't think of one well received, Emmy winning show that didn't lose quality over the years: Cheers, Frasier, MASH, The Xfiles. I honestly think the creative juices start to run dry, and why wouldn't they? 7, 8, 9, 10 years is a long, long time for writers and actors, viewers and a premise. Characters that previously had some depth (Sam Malone, for example) can spiral into caricature.

Yet, I can't help but wonder why Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Atlantis, two much newer shows that aren't suffering from age and possible creative burn out, aren't doing much better in the ratings department.
              You have good points. My main point is that when the Korean War ended, the MASH show ended. Now I've come to believe that SG-1 should have ended at the defeat of the Goa'uld. That would be at the end of Season 8.
              sigpic

Comment

You have good points. My main point is that when the Korean War ended, the MASH show ended. Now I've come to believe that SG-1 should have ended at the defeat of the Goa'uld. That would be at the end of Season 8.
                I agree, they would have ended on high ratings, which may have meant that the movies they had always wanted to make could have been released on the big screen, not straight to DVD's
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I think you're right. There would have been still a galaxy filled of interesting stories and maybe some wannabes trying to fill the void left by the Goa'ulds. This might have made a few years worth of mini series or movies. As for the Ori - you heard Nancy Reagan 'Just say NO!'
                  sigpic
                  Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                  My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

I agree, they would have ended on high ratings, which may have meant that the movies they had always wanted to make could have been released on the big screen, not straight to DVD's
                    Or that they would have been in a better position as far as making another spin-off goes - if you were controlling the purse strings, which would you be more likely to put more money into; a spin-off based on a show averaging 2.1 in the ratings, or one averaging 1.5?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I agree with that. TBH I was actually looking forward to the show going into it's 9th season, but good gosh do I regret that feeling now . In a way with the show just falling in ratings and popularity, I too think the ship has sailed along way for them to actually do that, so very wanted, big screen movie. Had they ended in S7 or maybe 8, a big movie would have been on the cards and would have been more talked about from both fans and media. I belive it would have flopped at the movies if they made one right now, destroying even more the decent reputation that SG1 had before S9 came around.

In a way, I'm wondering if even a new spin-off will be successful. Have SG1 gone on for too long so that the fans aren't so excited about a new show, like they were when SG1 was still on a high and Atlantis came around?

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
                        I agree with that. TBH I was actually looking forward to the show going into it's 9th season, but good gosh do I regret that feeling now . In a way with the show just falling in ratings and popularity, I too think the ship has sailed along way for them to actually do that, so very wanted, big screen movie. Had they ended in S7 or maybe 8, a big movie would have been on the cards and would have been more talked about from both fans and media. I belive it would have flopped at the movies if they made one right now, destroying even more the decent reputation that SG1 had before S9 came around.

In a way, I'm wondering if even a new spin-off will be successful. Have SG1 gone on for too long so that the fans aren't so excited about a new show, like they were when SG1 was still on a high and Atlantis came around?
                        Let's face it they only wanted a record (which they didn't get it in my book 'cause "Dr. Who" is the longest sci-fi series)

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
                          Depends on the backstory of the spin-off and how it is handled. If TPTB decided to go ahead and make "Stargate Command" with Mitchell, Vala, Landry and a couple of new characters, I don't see it succeeding. It will be too much like the current direction for some and not enough like it for others. I don't see the new characters being able to carry a series.

Something like Sam commanding a ship, with a completely new crew could do well - provided, of course, that the writing and direction was at least halfway decent.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

At this point if they do a new show they need to start with ALL new characters. Preferably unknown actors. The Big 4 can come in for an ep or so along with Hammond or Davis... you know the characters people knew for 8years. Maybe you can point out where they are in charge and what they are doing, but even then you would only want them there a bit just for the old-timers and then focus on the new people. Kinda like Atlantis was going to do before they started panicking and started all the crossovers.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

i agree. they need to start fresh.

and they need to cast, not for names and fan bases, but for actor ability and chemistry

stunt cast with weak stories and it'll die. cause, believe it or not, we are smart enough to see right through it.

but write good stories with good actors, they will build and develop a fan base adn the show will be all the stronger for it (as in SG1 from its inception. With the exception of RDA, all the others were cast for thier abilities and skills...not fan bases)

Good chemistry behind the camera, leads to good chemistry on camera

'big' names spouting lines, eh, ya got talking heads. kinda like the nightly news, tv by the numbers

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
                                Somebody please inform AGateFan (Ignore list in my case) that there's something called "PRIVATE LIFE". Michael Shanks took the time off for two episodes when his wife gave birth to their second child late March and for the second time for another two episodes when his oldest daughter came to Vancouver to spend some time with her dad during summer holidays. This "poor guy" asked for the free time himself and wasn't written out deliberately.
                                Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                                Why you are not on my ignore list so no one needs to tell me.
                                Somehow I thought not. Some things are just too entertaining to be ignored. It would be a shame to miss out

Comment

Working...
                                X