S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
    Isn't that what SciFi kinda did when they canceled it, saying it was time for it to end?

If they thought it was the timeslot, they coulda changed that--like they probably will for BSG. If they thought it was the promotion, they coulda changed that.

Maybe they aren't making a public statement about where the blame belongs--and they won't--but actions speak louder than words.
    Oh come on! Nobody believes Sci Fi could possibly have a perfectly good reason to can the show. They're evil I tell ya!

Yep they did, but it's not them blaming everything except the possibility that the show just isn't as good, or as interesting to the viewers, any more.

Comment

Ya know, I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode of Atlantis (due in Canada in a few hours) but I can't seem to muster any enthusiam to see the second part of SG-1's cliffhanger. I guess I'm happy waiting till whenever to see it - that is so sad.
      -

Comment

I know the feeling. Tomorrow I will be able to watch new SGA ep, really been looking forward to it! Haven't thought much of the SG1 cliffhanger, I'll watch it when it arrives, but I'm in no hurry to see it really. I used to go nuts on the waiting for new SG1...but times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
          Oh come on! Nobody believes Sci Fi could possibly have a perfectly good reason to can the show. They're evil I tell ya!
          yeah!! it's not like they have the education and experience to know how to do their jobs/protect their interests and its the angry fans, most of whom know little if anything about show business that are wrong. i mean, who would you trust more? scifi wasn't loosing money on a ten-year-old show that was loosing viewers, no way! they're just idiots. i mean, WHY ELSE would they cancel a show if not for stupidity?
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities View Post
            yeah!! it's not like they have the education and experience to know how to do their jobs/protect their interests and its the angry fans, most of whom know little if anything about show business that are wrong. i mean, who would you trust more? scifi wasn't loosing money on a ten-year-old show that was loosing viewers, no way! they're just idiots. i mean, WHY ELSE would they cancel a show if not for stupidity?
            If the show was still making a decent profit for the Sci-Fi channel, then I doubt very much that they would want to cancel the show. They wanted to get ten seasons for their record, yes, but I don't see them being in any way opposed to having an eleventh, twelfth or twentieth season as long as it was worth their while to continue to invest in the show.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
              If the show was still making a decent profit for the Sci-Fi channel, then I doubt very much that they would want to cancel the show. They wanted to get ten seasons for their record, yes, but I don't see them being in any way opposed to having an eleventh, twelfth or twentieth season as long as it was worth their while to continue to invest in the show.
              Therein lies the problem - with a lack of viewship, the program loses advertising dollars while at the same time facing rising production costs (actor, writer, producer, etc. salaries continue to go up). So, profits are down. A newer show like Atlantis has lower production costs so can bear lower advertising revenues.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                Therein lies the problem - with a lack of viewship, the program loses advertising dollars while at the same time facing rising production costs (actor, writer, producer, etc. salaries continue to go up). So, profits are down. A newer show like Atlantis has lower production costs so can bear lower advertising revenues.
                But aren't these the same guys (except for the actors) as SG1? Did they take a pay cut to do the new series
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                  Exactly. With better ratings, the show could still be running.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                    But aren't these the same guys (except for the actors) as SG1? Did they take a pay cut to do the new series
                    The writers, directors and producers would probably still be getting their salaries, but the actors are new, and probably most of the other people involved in making Atlantis. If so, they won't have been working as long as the SG-1 people and may not be getting as high a salary.

Comment

You know I am wondering if part of the problem with their writing of
                      Sam Carter is that they don't believe she is "real"

well let me tell you-she is very real. I know because I am raising one.

My daughter has been a math and science person since her father first taught her to do math in her head. She is in her senior year and applied to Tufts for their School of Engineering. She is taking Multi Variable Calculus because it is fun.

How many of us have daughters that are Samantha Carters?

I wouldn't be surprised to see high numbers. I look at the friends my daughter has in her program in the Math and Science Academy and there are lots involved in Math and or Science in a big way.

Maybe they need to open their eyes.
                      Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
                        You know I am wondering if part of the problem with their writing of Sam Carter is that they don't believe she is "real"
                        I think a big chunk of that criticism comes from the fact not a lot of people have a clue exactly how unrealistic Daniel is written. Lack of graduate degrees I guess and not many people has a clue what Daniel’s fields are really like besides what they see on TV. LOL! I have a couple of really good friends that majored in archeology and had wonderful nights of drinking games—taking a shot for every time Daniel got something wrong.

And yeah there’s Sam’s in real life. The only thing the writers really got wrong about her was the fact they never wrote her with that fine take-no-crap sense when to do some ball breaking.
                        Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                          The writers, directors and producers would probably still be getting their salaries, but the actors are new, and probably most of the other people involved in making Atlantis. If so, they won't have been working as long as the SG-1 people and may not be getting as high a salary.
                          A number (maybe all) of the writers, directors, and producers are being paid for out of both budgets - and possibly all the behind the scenes staff. So same people, but fewer personnel than they would need if they were running each show as a totally separate entity.
                          I'd expect they'll be losing a few people in these departments next year (last in, first out?), but again not as many people will be going as would if the shows were independent of each other.

Comment

Waits patiently, hoping pittsburghgirl will repost her previous post which was unfortunately deleted due to GW crash
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                              Waits patiently, hoping pittsburghgirl will repost her previous post which was unfortunately deleted due to GW crash
                              you mean this one?

You know I am wondering if part of the problem with their writing of
                              Sam Carter is that they don't believe she is "real"

well let me tell you-she is very real. I know because I am raising one.

My daughter has been a math and science person since her father first taught her to do math in her head. She is in her senior year and applied to Tufts for their School of Engineering. She is taking Multi Variable Calculus because it is fun.

How many of us have daughters that are Samantha Carters?

I wouldn't be surprised to see high numbers. I look at the friends my daughter has in her program in the Math and Science Academy and there are lots involved in Math and or Science in a big way.

Maybe they need to open their eyes.

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
                                You know I am wondering if part of the problem with their writing of Sam Carter is that they don't believe she is "real"
                                To be honest, I don't think they write any of the characters like they are "real". None of them have ever struck a "real" chord with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X