S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    even with her seeing marty...did they TOUCH on 'wow, i killed you you know'????

no, they played happy families with sam and paired her up with anyone and everyone with the right anatomy

think of teh angst, marty and janet both realizing that they were dead and then finding out how they died. marty could have forgiven sam for killing his au self - and no one seemed concerned that he could have been zaytarc'd either

very, very sloppy, but what i've come to expect from writers that seem determined to banish any and all bits of the past of thier characters
    What a waste of a great opportunity. But then that's the mantra of S9/S10. Here's hoping it's not the mantra of the movies also. But I'm not holding my breath.

Suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I just found this rather interesting article about NBC over on Yahoo. There’s also a big write-up about this in the Wall Street Journal. Explains a lot of what Sci Fi’s been saying about cost and expenses.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20061019/116125962000.html
      Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
        Alot of the improvement suggestions seem to lean alot toward 'girl power' fluff/stuff. A suggestion that would lose likely Gates entire male audience. Someone suggested bringing back Haley from episode whatever as Sam's protege and part of the team.
        i doubt the show would have even madeout Season 9 if that had happened.
        The show aint Desperate Housewives ya now.

Bringing back Sam old boyfriends, dead or alive. The horrible Landry/Lam father/daughter conflict, the sexual jokes.

You could have fooled me.
        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

even with her seeing marty...did they TOUCH on 'wow, i killed you you know'????

no, they played happy families with sam and paired her up with anyone and everyone with the right anatomy

think of teh angst, marty and janet both realizing that they were dead and then finding out how they died. marty could have forgiven sam for killing his au self - and no one seemed concerned that he could have been zaytarc'd either

very, very sloppy, but what i've come to expect from writers that seem determined to banish any and all bits of the past of thier characters
          Yeah Ripple Effect was very disappointing, it seemed to focus on everything that wasn't important. I really don't care what AU Sams are doing with their lives and the Martouf thing came out of the blue. They seem obsessed with showing that Sam is with Jack in every universe but this one. Of course the references were so vague that she could have been married to anyone. Just pick one.
          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

but as long as coop and the boys seem obsessed with sam and her love life, she doesnt' stand much hope does she????

even vala is victim to it. are tehy concentrating on 'mommy of the doom of the world???' angle?

no, it's Vaniel, all Vaniel all the time

vala isn't really much of anything if she's not propping up Daniel

so, let's say that there's the next movie and MS decides not to be in it, what will they do then? cause Vaniel won't exist, thus most of vala's reason to be there wont' exist

then again, i don't think these writers really care. all they want to do is ship the women. ship them with anyone, but it seems, as far as females are concerned, if they're not half of ____&_____ then they really don't have a reason to exist
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

but as long as coop and the boys seem obsessed with sam and her love life, she doesnt' stand much hope does she????

even vala is victim to it. are tehy concentrating on 'mommy of the doom of the world???' angle?

no, it's Vaniel, all Vaniel all the time

vala isn't really much of anything if she's not propping up Daniel

so, let's say that there's the next movie and MS decides not to be in it, what will they do then? cause Vaniel won't exist, thus most of vala's reason to be there wont' exist

then again, i don't think these writers really care. all they want to do is ship the women. ship them with anyone, but it seems, as far as females are concerned, if they're not half of ____&_____ then they really don't have a reason to exist
              Yep, Jack is gone, Jacob is gone, then suddenly they don't know what to do with Sam. So all they can think of is to bring back old bf for her to interact with? Then of course there is Rodney too.

Rogue

Comment

but, but, but it's a SAM storyline. surely that's good enough for ya?????

after all, didn't memento mori, that was a focus on vala enough to keep her fans happy???? see how much air time and how many lines she got????

come on!!!!!

wake up and get over it. we're giving you your actor and how DARE you not appreciate it and get all grumpy and want your favorite character to have a meaningful episode

quantity not quality, remember that <sarcasm off>

sigpic

Comment

to be fair to joe, he probably thought everything was great and fantastic. and i do have to admit that s10 is better than the craptacular mess that s9 was...but also, joe loves anime and comics....and what does a lot of s9 and 10 resemble???? the OTT silliness of comics and anime

thus a lot of it was likely to his taste

too bad his taste isn't an accurate reflection of the majority of the viewing public
                  If that is so--then what might he have thought of the yrs prior to S9-S10?
                  When the show had good ratings etc....?

Comment

well, i know that he thought revisions was a fantastic episode (the one with the people linked to the puter that kept erasing people as the shield failed) but i personally found it dull and predicitible and at no point in time did i worry about the team's safety cause they could jsut put on thier suits and go home

That's an eps that i would merged with Orpheus, since teal'c's tantrum came outta nowhere

had teal'c hurt at the beginning of revisions, had the team on on the mission without him, then, just as things are getting sticky with the pod people, get word that teal'c ran off to save ryac and bratac and hasn't been heard from since

then there'd have been some drama and tension cause they'd need to fix one problem before they could go and save one of thier own

I've learned that if joe is singing an eps praises, i'm probably not gonna like it because his 'good' and my 'good' are not the same thing

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot View Post
                      I just found this rather interesting article about NBC over on Yahoo. There’s also a big write-up about this in the Wall Street Journal. Explains a lot of what Sci Fi’s been saying about cost and expenses.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20061019/116125962000.html
                      "Jeff Zucker, chief executive of NBC Universal's television group, said he'll focus on cheaper programming."
                      Just about says it all!
                      sigpic
                      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

but, but, but it's a SAM storyline. surely that's good enough for ya?????

after all, didn't memento mori, that was a focus on vala enough to keep her fans happy???? see how much air time and how many lines she got????

come on!!!!!

wake up and get over it. we're giving you your actor and how DARE you not appreciate it and get all grumpy and want your favorite character to have a meaningful episode

quantity not quality, remember that <sarcasm off>
                        I don't know about everybody else, but I'd rather have had one decent episode (preferably Sam-centered) than Season Nine.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                          I don't know about everybody else, but I'd rather have had one decent episode (preferably Sam-centered) than Season Nine.
                          What? And miss out on all of Vala's oh so pithy dialogue and not get to have seen the defying of gravity that was her vinyl dress? Shut your mouth!

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
                            What? And miss out on all of Vala's oh so pithy dialogue and not get to have seen the defying of gravity that was her vinyl dress? Shut your mouth!
                            Somehow, I think I could have lived without it.

Though, in fairness, Vala doesn't come close to being my chief problem with Season Nine.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                              "Jeff Zucker, chief executive of NBC Universal's television group, said he'll focus on cheaper programming."
                              Just about says it all!
                              and there goes thier ratings

for me? you know what sunday night football does for me?

ok, i like cold case, sometimes the movie on cbs, desperate housewives on abc and then crossing jordan, criminal intent and whatever else was on on nbc

if cbs' football ran late, i'd tape cold case and watch nbc/abc
                              but now that nbc has football and cbs runs late a lot, i don't watch nbc at all, tape desperate housewives and only watch it live if cbs is on time, if not i watch cbs all night

so, i know i don't count cause i don't have a neilson box, but this stupidity of sunday night football has not only cost them a viewer, it's cost abc one too

go for the 'cheaper' stuff, whihc you know is all that reality crap. I'll just watch cbs or abc or fox or i'll just toss in a dvd

cheap yourselves outta ratings. no skin off my nose

sigpic

Comment

*feels self getting pulled back into the drudges of anti...*

I haven't come here in a while, because I've been quietly melancholy about the fact that the show's gonna end in a little over eight months. I figured I'd look at the positives before the show ended on a whimper (again). Since it looks like the fate of the series is still rather sketchy, I'll give into my anti-roots for a bit.

First of all, I think the Vaniel thing works both ways. They've managed to make Daniel very much attached to Vala, so I think they'll want MS and CB involved in the telefilm, just because they probably don't know what to do with Daniel anymore.

And what's sad is there are HUNDREDS of ways you could take that character, just like there are HUNDREDS of ways you could take Sam, and HUNDREDS (OK, like 30 ) ways you could take Teal'c. And there are also LOADS of ways you could take Vala and Cameron, if you felt so inclined. But, for some reason, probably because there are (a) too many cooks in the kitchen, yet (b) not enough people to pick up the slack in the areas of accountability, they don't seem to have the ability to take these characters on a risky route and follow it through.
                                And when it comes to the women, as Sky and others have said, their imaginations are incredibly limited to the same stock characters (mommy persona, sexy alien chick, etc.). When it comes to the men, they can't seem to break away from that same, every man's man-sexy geek-rogue dude combo (see Jack/Cam/Shep-Daniel/McKay-Teal'c/Ronon).

To be fair, these elements are OK when talking about a series that goes on for, say, eight years. But it's not so cool when you're talking about that same series duplicating its own formula in both a spin-off AND the new-and-improved version of itself.

That's why I kinda laughed when Mallozzi kinda expressed his frustration with the cancellation, saying they're not all "tapped out" of creative ideas.

Really? Are ya sure? Because the way I see it, the writers take characters in one "risky" or "potentially awesome" direction, and they do one of two things: Leave it hanging for all eternity, or wrap it up with a neat bow before the credits roll.

Neither option is satisfying for me as a viewer, so I can't imagine how it must be for the showcased actor, especially considering the process these guys probably go through to bring 110% to the role they're playing. It's like a supreme waste of talent.

I'd say that every actor on both SG-1 and Atlantis does wonderfully with what they're given. And they tend to be the reason why I stick with the show, even when TPTB are doing stupid things (i.e. The Tower and 5/6 of S9). But sometimes I look at it, and I do wonder if it's not a waste of these guys' talents. That sounds really harsh, but as much as I love Stargate, I think these actors could do tons more with their characters if they were given quality stuff to work with in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X