S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    Clearly the mechanic's son should not have been allowed next or near the Memphis Belle without the supervision of a mature adult.
    but if said young mechinic is the son of the base commander and thus is immune from the rules, what can you do????

that's the image they created with cam in s9. Mister young and enthusiastic...who also just HAD to be in charge and were too stupid to relize that 'youthful enthusiasm' and 'responsible leader' are mutually exclusive

then wondered why no one could really get behind him
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot
      Possibly. Though there were a couple of episodes I remember that he did do more than phone in. You have to agree it says something about the writing staff in general when a guest star has to bring a script to Brad and point out that losing a United States General is rather tough thing to do and would make characters SGA characters look completely incompetent too if you don’t handle it right.

I miss RDA calling writers on these things more than I miss seeing him on screen.

If we don’t see RDA in guest shots next year because of this I won’t be completely heart broken. Like someone said..... That’s not Jack. That’s some General that RDA is playing.
      Sometimes, you can't go back. I think RDA just got a reminder why he left.

IMO, TPTB have moved on. They aren't interested in the Jack character anymore. So far they have given him non-interesting parts that any no-name actor could have done and probably at a cheaper price. RDA himself said he was disappointed in the division of his time between SGA and SG-1. I don't expect him to come back.
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
        Slightly OT here but...

anybody seen the poll on GW where they ask about Season 11 and if you would do the on line download thing???

Well to whom do i ask to add this to the poll??

Possibly-but only if they don't show the same cr*p we have had the last 2 years.

Harsh-maybe so-but lets face it TPTB have yet to face the other reasons, other than money, that this show has lost fan support.

I have yet to hear them say, you know-we really did screw some things up and it didn't help our cause.
        why the hell would i download?

first of all if its gonna be more valagate, i don't care

i also am personally sick and tired of the whole frakking world going on like everyone in it is on speedy dsl. we're not. and as a resident of a rural state, dsl isn't even available for a good portion of our state

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
          Sometimes, you can't go back. I think RDA just got a reminder why he left.

IMO, TPTB have moved on. They aren't interested in the Jack character anymore. So far they have given him non-interesting parts that any no-name actor could have done and probably at a cheaper price. RDA himself said he was disappointed in the division of his time between SGA and SG-1. I don't expect him to come back.
          i can see him coming back for the series finale. but that's it. IMHO, they dissed him when he left and have contiued to diss him by using him as stunt casting ever since.

like he said 'i expected to come back to my family, not someone else's'

and i agree with the others that have speculated that they're afraid to hacve jack too close to cameron for fear of illustrating cameron's weaknesses

I feel had rick not left the show and still been an exec producer, a lot of the crap we've been getting never woulda been taped. He'd have put the kibash on Vala the Vulgar. Cam woulda been put on ritalin from the getgo and a lot of the more stupid things woulda died on the writers' computers

I think he was more quality control than they wanted, and kept them from being too silly. something coop and the boys resented (as evidenced by MS' comment along the line of 'we're having so much more fun now that he's gone') yet rick's 'control' is what kept the quality in teh show. and coop and the boys, in thier obsession with having fun, have killed the show

but they won't see it, refuse to admit it and will continue to blame everything from magnets to sun spots to avoid the possibility that thier cruddy writing and storytelling along with some very mediocre characters killed the show

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            i can see him coming back for the series finale. but that's it. IMHO, they dissed him when he left and have contiued to diss him by using him as stunt casting ever since.

like he said 'i expected to come back to my family, not someone else's'

and i agree with the others that have speculated that they're afraid to hacve jack too close to cameron for fear of illustrating cameron's weaknesses

I feel had rick not left the show and still been an exec producer, a lot of the crap we've been getting never woulda been taped. He'd have put the kibash on Vala the Vulgar. Cam woulda been put on ritalin from the getgo and a lot of the more stupid things woulda died on the writers' computers

I think he was more quality control than they wanted, and kept them from being too silly. something coop and the boys resented (as evidenced by MS' comment along the line of 'we're having so much more fun now that he's gone') yet rick's 'control' is what kept the quality in teh show. and coop and the boys, in thier obsession with having fun, have killed the show

but they won't see it, refuse to admit it and will continue to blame everything from magnets to sun spots to avoid the possibility that thier cruddy writing and storytelling along with some very mediocre characters killed the show
            He might come back for the finale if they ask him. This time I am sure he will have his lawyer specify SG-1. Just like the fans, I think he learned the hard way that you can't trust these guys.

IMO they didn't want him on SG-1 because
            1) He would show up Cam
            2) They didn't want him close to Sam.
            3) Didn't want a guest star challenging their script.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Yep, they are all having so much fun in the unemployment line

The immaturity of these grown men is a shame it ruined the show, but they are too busy saying "na uh, it wasn't me " Grow up boys before you run Atlantis off the air
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

but if said young mechinic is the son of the base commander and thus is immune from the rules, what can you do????
                Give the mechanic and the base commander to the Ba'als for their birthday?

that's the image they created with cam in s9. Mister young and enthusiastic...who also just HAD to be in charge and were too stupid to relize that 'youthful enthusiasm' and 'responsible leader' are mutually exclusive

then wondered why no one could really get behind him
                The sad thing is that a young and enthusiastic Major Mitchell or a serious, responsible full colonel Mitchell could have been great characters. Trying to blend the two has resulted in a character who holds no appeal for me.

There are reasons why one should never try to mate a hyena with an ostrich. The result is unlikely to be pretty.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
                  He might come back for the finale if they ask him. This time I am sure he will have his lawyer specify SG-1. Just like the fans, I think he learned the hard way that you can't trust these guys.

IMO they didn't want him on SG-1 because
                  1) He would show up Cam
                  2) They didn't want him close to Sam.
                  3) Didn't want a guest star challenging their script.
                  I think the first one is their chief reason, with a good dose of the third - I wouldn't put it past them to promote ship for the ratings and ruin it with abysmal writing that even RDA and AT couldn't salvage.

Maybe the cast and crew are having the time of their lives working with the new actors and maybe the writers love writing them, but in my opinion Mitchell, Vala and Landry have not been integrated half as well as they could have been with a little care. I don't have a fraction of the esteem for Landry that I had for Hammond, Jack or Weir (he ranks slightly ahead of Bauer, though) and while Mitchell and Vala may be on SG-1, I don't see them ever truly being a part of the team, or a part of the bond that Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c share.

Jack's presence would highlight this.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                    Give the mechanic and the base commander to the Ba'als for their birthday?

The sad thing is that a young and enthusiastic Major Mitchell or a serious, responsible full colonel Mitchell could have been great characters. Trying to blend the two has resulted in a character who holds no appeal for me.

There are reasons why one should never try to mate a hyena with an ostrich. The result is unlikely to be pretty.
                    i agree. although they woulda had to make cameron older than ben to pull off mister fullbird mitchell (there are time in grade which = minimum age for ranks)

I'm still and will always wish they'd done Major Mitchell who was in command then had to step down. think of the angst, he gets the band back together but realizes that in getting the band back together he has to relinquish command of the team.

greater good over your personal desires...which has always been the theme of teh show

sigpic

Comment

i think putting rda in atlantis is nothing more than a desperate bid to boost the ratings for that show and save it for at least one other season...and save their own jobs.

see that's the saddest irony, the writers havent' written themselves out of a job, they'll just move over to atlantis while it's the actors and some of the crew that'll get teh boot

IMHO, rda always had that in mind. I personally think that's why he stayed as long as he did. scifi wouldn't sign off on another season until he signed, so he kept signing, and kept finding ways to balance family adn job to try and do both for as long as he could.

I think this coudl also be why the writers got themselves made producers, they made themselves immune to getting canned to a certain extent. if the boys' club calls the shots, well then the boys club is pretty immune aren't they???

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                        Actually, SG-1 beat Atlantis by a tenth. So, SG-1 got higher ratings without Jack than Atlantis got with Jack.
                        Ouch.

That must be terribly discouraging to TPTB.

Although, I wonder if many people knew that RDA was going to be on Atlantis that week.

My LJ

Comment

it was in all the promos, iirc.

i don't watch much scifi beyond scififriday, but the promo i saw the previous week touted jack being on atlantis

sigpic

Comment

RDA being on Atlantis wasn't as in your face with the promos like it was with him being in 200 and TRW.
                            sigpic
                            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

i agree. although they woulda had to make cameron older than ben to pull off mister fullbird mitchell (there are time in grade which = minimum age for ranks)
                              They would have had to stick with BB's year of birth rather than making the character he played nearly eight years younger.

I'm still and will always wish they'd done Major Mitchell who was in command then had to step down. think of the angst, he gets the band back together but realizes that in getting the band back together he has to relinquish command of the team.

greater good over your personal desires...which has always been the theme of teh show
                              And there's a better than fair chance that the show wouldn't have been cancelled or, if it still was, that it would be leaving with its head held high and its ratings decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                                RDA being on Atlantis wasn't as in your face with the promos like it was with him being in 200 and TRW.
                                I still believe this was to be the year of Jack Who?

Sky and Rogue have been quite right in their assertions that
                                Joe Nobody could have played the parts he played
                                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Working...
                                X