S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogue
    I watched Real World last night. Even though I enjoyed seeing RDA, they could have gotten anyone to do that part. I really don't see the logic with using him in throw away eps. To me it seems like TPTB threw away the opportunity to bring back fans.
    They (TPTB) have no one to blame but themselves for their downfall. Too many opportunities squandered.
    sigpic
    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      isnt' joss weadon kinda looked the same way? i seem to recall folks swearing off every watching one of his productions ever again because of how he treats the fans. same with bellisario
      I think the swearing off is the result of him killing off fan favorite characters without warning.
      Unlike TPTB here Joss Whedon doesn't make promises (or tease about things) he doesn't intend to keep. He just does what he thinks makes a good story, and he's been quite open about the fact he is doing what he thinks is best. Which will always upset a few fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
        They (TPTB) have no one to blame but themselves for their downfall. Too many opportunities squandered.
        S10 is better than S9, but I don't know if that is saying much. Both my husband and I were disappointed that in Memento Mori
        Spoiler:
        Vala got her memory back. And I guess I missed the reason for making her a full member of SG-1. I saw nothing in that ep or the previous eps where she earned that right.
        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
          You mean Atlantis got a 1.6 for the finale, even with Jack? Ouch.
          Was Jack in Atlantis? Didn't know.

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot
          Ouch! Is right. If SG-1 is up slightly that would be placing them at 1.6 tied with Atlantis again.

That means their going to have to stop blaming us Jack fans for the shows ratings fall. Crap!
          Actually, SG-1 beat Atlantis by a tenth. So, SG-1 got higher ratings without Jack than Atlantis got with Jack.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
          Ah, for the days when 1.8-1.9 was normal, now we seem stuck in this 1.5-1.6 rut. And I don't see ratings improving significantly during the second half either.
          Probably not.

I don't think SG1 could continue to air on the new MGM channel, since the contract with SciFi appears to forbid it. Likewise, if MGM merely renames SG1 as "Stargate Command", keeps the characters/baddie, and airs it on its own channel then I think it's close enough to SG1 that SciFi could sue or something.
          I thought discussions of "MGM" channels were for the non-U.S. market. In the U.S., even if they got one up and running, it would take years to do and for them to have the household penetration to justify producing new series for it.

No, I think if any new Stargate material airs on the MGM channel it's definitely not going to be SG1 or even a retooled Stargate Command. It's going to be a third series, different and hopefully better than SG1.
          The precedent would be Voyager as the show that launced UPN.

I don't see any network, US or international, picking up SG1 as it is. I don't think networks are interested in ten year old shows with falling ratings. Just not profitable.
          More importantly, I don't even think MGM is interested in continuing it as a series under its current cost structure. No network can buy the series, if MGM isn't selling it. This is a point fans trying to get the show "saved" are missing.

The movies make sense, though. Each movie is negotiated seperately from the series contract with each castmember. As Babylon 5 demonstrated with their four movies produced for TNT, you don't need to have every castmember in every movie and that keeps costs down. (Of course, some of those movies weren't particularly good, but that's beside the business strategy of it).

Ouch! Is right. If SG-1 is up slightly that would be placing them at 1.6 tied with Atlantis again.

That means their going to have to stop blaming us Jack fans for the shows ratings fall. Crap!
          Last edited by MediaSavant; 02 October 2006, 10:57 AM.

Comment

i've seen up until the Quest part 1 and can tell you there's nothing bad whatsoever about season 10. The only absolute BOL***KS is that theyve postponed airing until March...

So basically the TW**S have left us on a cliffhanger for about 5-6 months.

That's my two cents

Sorry two cliffhangers.. Same story with Atlantis. Loving series 3!!
            Spoiler:
            But are the guys that came back to atlantis that they rescued in deep space really ancients??

Comment

S10 is better than S9, but I don't know if that is saying much. Both my husband and I were disappointed that in Memento Mori
              Spoiler:
              Vala got her memory back. And I guess I missed the reason for making her a full member of SG-1. I saw nothing in that ep or the previous eps where she earned that right.
              Spoiler:
              She didn't shoot Daniel at the end there...

I guess that is enough to make her a member of SG-1? But that's just my guess, haven't seen anything else that should make the team trust her or anything. She is more of a danger for the team in some eps IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                I think the swearing off is the result of him killing off fan favorite characters without warning.
                Unlike TPTB here Joss Whedon doesn't make promises (or tease about things) he doesn't intend to keep. He just does what he thinks makes a good story, and he's been quite open about the fact he is doing what he thinks is best. Which will always upset a few fans.
                ah, that works then

personally? i think that's whatmakes bsg so interesting...ron moore will totally fubar the characters. and that will fit within the story. there is no 'eh, he won't die, his name is in the credits' or 'bleh, they don't have the cajones to kill that guest off, he'll be fine' with bsg.

in fact, moore seems to delight in doing the last thing fans expect. THat's part of what makes it interesting. it's unpredictible

teh stargate writers on the other hand....dude, i usuallyhave the ending pegged about 20 minutes in and there was ONE whole bit in s9 that actually surprised me...and i don't go surfing for every spoiler out there too.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm......

I went over to the news thread and saw MGM is looking at launching its own cable network.

Am I the only one that’s thinking MGM wouldn’t lower it fees to Sci Fi for another season, talk of them possibly making the next two movies in the series, and launch of this future cable network is interesting? I wonder if MGM has plans to remove the middle men and literally reboot the franchise based off of the movie series?

Two movies, launching of a cable network, rebooting the series with characters from the original movie—The time table is about right if you start adding it up.
                  Didnt really work for UPN and ENT is a pariha on the Star Trek universe as it destroys so much continuity. Re-tool stargate the series to be like the movies and you have the same situation.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Hmmmm, I just say a Stargate S9 DVD advertisement on ANOTHER CHANNEL (ie not scifi). Dont remember ever seeing that for other season DVDs. But then I never saw the prices this cheap, or this many extras either. Maybe this is where the advertising budget went. Or maybe the advertise the same this year as in every other year, I just never noticed advertisements on other channels previously.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      ah, that works then

personally? i think that's whatmakes bsg so interesting...ron moore will totally fubar the characters. and that will fit within the story. there is no 'eh, he won't die, his name is in the credits' or 'bleh, they don't have the cajones to kill that guest off, he'll be fine' with bsg.

in fact, moore seems to delight in doing the last thing fans expect. THat's part of what makes it interesting. it's unpredictible

teh stargate writers on the other hand....dude, i usuallyhave the ending pegged about 20 minutes in and there was ONE whole bit in s9 that actually surprised me...and i don't go surfing for every spoiler out there too.
                      I actually dont want characters scrwed in eps. I just like good, interesting, fun action adventure eps that they make you suspend belief long enough during the show that you actually think for a second something bad may happen (even know you should really know it wont). Kinda like Classic SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                        Hmmmm, I just say a Stargate S9 DVD advertisement on ANOTHER CHANNEL (ie not scifi). Dont remember ever seeing that for other season DVDs. But then I never saw the prices this cheap, or this many extras either. Maybe this is where the advertising budget went. Or maybe the advertise the same this year as in every other year, I just never noticed advertisements on other channels previously.
                        Was it advertised within the syndicated SG-1 or Atlantis? That would make sense and it would be "another channel".

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                          Was it advertised within the syndicated SG-1 or Atlantis? That would make sense and it would be "another channel".
                          Nope... "World's Widest Police Videos".... yes I watch that crp... com'mon its 6PM, I just get home from work, nothing else is on.... Whats a few stupid criminals between friends? Hey maybe thats the tie in. Worlds Wildest Police Videos meets STARGATE GONE WILD... get it today on DVD!!!!

EDIT: Now excuse me while I go play "Need for Speed Most wanted" and teach those dang dirty cops how to drive..... Wait there it is again during CSI : Crime Scene Investigation. Wow two stargate commercials on a station that is not sci fi 2 hours in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                            Wouldn't the clause about them not being able to air the show on any US channel without the Sci-Fi channel's permission still apply?
                            That's what I thought...I guess people thought they could find a way around that somehow (not that I'm sure it could happen...).

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Spoiler:
                              I missed it as well. And I thought it was just so strange when Sam actually said she earned it. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone or something.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM
                                That's what I thought...I guess people thought they could find a way around that somehow (not that I'm sure it could happen...).
                                I wonder how long the Sci-Fi channel hold the right to decide who can air the show and if it applies to anything with the name "Stargate: SG-", including TV movies and mini-series - if it's a year, it may be possible that MGM would make whatever it is they want to make, air it abroad first and then in the US when they are allowed.

One thing I'm curious about is if the Sci-Fi channel have any rights over the creative stuff - for example Mitchell and Vala were both introduced while the Sci-Fi channel was footing part of the bill, so would they have any kind of copyright or a share of it? Theoretically, even a 1% stake in a character could let them prevent anyone else using them.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X