S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogue
    I guess their handy work just isn't limited to SG-1.

IMO, shipping on this show is a lost cause. I shipped for Sam/Jack for years, got nothing but grief to show for it.
    Yup. Sad to say because I was enjoying Atlantis more than SG-1, but I guess Atlantis is getting some casualties too.

I agree as far as shipping is concerned. In my case, I knew I was never going to see my pairing onscreen so I just stopped looking for any hints and learned to enjoy the friendships between everyone. Those seem to be very few and far between now, at least in the past two seasons.

Comment

Hmmm...no ratings news for the finales yet. That's rarely a good thing. I know it's a moot point with SG1, but Atlantis needs to keep its numbers up.

Originally posted by JessM
      I agree as far as shipping is concerned. In my case, I knew I was never going to see my pairing onscreen so I just stopped looking for any hints and learned to enjoy the friendships between everyone. Those seem to be very few and far between now, at least in the past two seasons.
      Yeah, I'm still having a hard time seeing TEAM this season. I see little interactions here and there, but I still can't sit back and see a meshed unit or a bunch of people that care about each other like with the original 4. Not to mention the recent eps where everyone seems lackluster about what's going on, like they're pod people or something.

I'll readily admit that this season has been better than the last, but neither 9 nor 10 come close to the early seasons of SG1 in terms of enthusiasm and camaraderie.

Comment

i would agree with that assessment. as much as i HATE the whole ori thing, s10 is more paletable to me than the travesty that was s9

but it is not nor will it ever be my favorite season

i would go
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          i would agree with that assessment. as much as i HATE the whole ori thing, s10 is more paletable to me than the travesty that was s9
          but it is not nor will it ever be my favorite season

i would go
          True, but I can't get the bad taste of S9 out of my mouth to be able to enjoy S10 with those 2 characters still on the show
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerbud
            I don't feel any sense of urgency or worry because I think the Atlantis crew has done more harm than good to the Pegasus galaxy and would be considered war criminals/imperialists by a lot of people. They basically came to the Pegasus galaxy to scrounge for Ancient technology and will pretty much do anything to get it. That's not very heroic. So, the writers have to create complex characters with a lot of depth if they want to deal with the moral questions at the heart of the show. Unfortunately, characterization became weaker and more inconsistent through Season 2. Even loyal audiences start to give up.
            It’s the same writing problem that is reflected in the seasons 7-10 of SG-1 too.

Like Sky pointed out the writers are backing themselves in to a corner were either we push the button to commit genocide or we get someone else to do the dirty work for us with this Ori storyline. Add in top Earth’s been as lousy of allies as a whole and IMHO. The Jaffa do have every right to be a little annoyed with at us. We let loose the Ori on this galaxy and what the heck have we done to help our allies they’ve attacked? If you start thinking about it exactly how much good has Earth done the last couple of season?

Characters USED to bring up the important questions. They used to dare voice the issues on whether or not we were doing the right thing. Menace would be one good example. To this day the fandom still argues on whether or not who’s approach was right in that instance: Jack or Daniel’s.

There was a time where the writers didn’t shy away from having the characters ask themselves the tough questions. It’s been sadly lacking for the last couple of years. We trudge through the galaxy these days looting and grave robbing, letting loose Ori on innocent people and no one’s showing the least bit of remorse about it. No one’s pushing the urgency to help the people suffering under their rule. Heck we didn't even give our allies the least bit of warning we might have screwed up and showed the Ori the way here. Whoops!

It's getting tougher and tougher to cheer for these ‘heroes’.

Now that I'm thinking about it. I'm cheering for the Wraith
            Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              True, but I can't get the bad taste of S9 out of my mouth to be able to enjoy S10 with those 2 characters still on the show
              Yeah, I am in this boat with you.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot
                It’s the same writing problem that is reflected in the seasons 7-10 of SG-1 too.

Like Sky pointed out the writers are backing themselves in to a corner were either we push the button to commit genocide or we get someone else to do the dirty work for us with this Ori storyline. Add in top Earth’s been as lousy of allies as a whole and IMHO. The Jaffa do have every right to be a little annoyed with at us. We let loose the Ori on this galaxy and what the heck have we done to help our allies they’ve attacked? If you start thinking about it exactly how much good has Earth done the last couple of season?

Characters USED to bring up the important questions. They used to dare voice the issues on whether or not we were doing the right thing. Menace would be one good example. To this day the fandom still argues on whether or not who’s approach was right in that instance: Jack or Daniel’s.

There was a time where the writers didn’t shy away from having the characters ask themselves the tough questions. It’s been sadly lacking for the last couple of years. We trudge through the galaxy these days looting and grave robbing, letting loose Ori on innocent people and no one’s showing the least bit of remorse about it. No one’s pushing the urgency to help the people suffering under their rule. Heck we didn't even give our allies the least bit of warning we might have screwed up and showed the Ori the way here. Whoops!

It's getting tougher and tougher to cheer for these ‘heroes’.

Now that I'm thinking about it. I'm cheering for the Wraith
                In at least two instances they made the wraith a more sympathic character then the humans.

Michael got royally screwed over by SGA. At least in the second instance they didnt screw the wraith over, which gives me a little hope that the characters still have some morals. But how can they ever make up for scrwing over everyone else they meet in Pegasus.

I miss the old SG-1 when earth was a shining beacon of hope and although we had crpy people among us the good people were able to over come them time and time again. Now we are not even trying. Now its like farscape where the writers opinions of humanity was less then complementary (while the slave owning, genocidal aliens were held up as good examples... That show was better before their TPTB let those opinions in just as SG-1 was).

EDIT: Note that one of the biggest problems with BSG is that they Cylons are better "people" then the humans. If all the humans in that show die I would not shed a tear, but on a couple of occassions I have felt ill when they killed off one of the Cylons.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                  Hmmm...no ratings news for the finales yet. That's rarely a good thing. I know it's a moot point with SG1, but Atlantis needs to keep its numbers up.
                  Nope I don't see that as a good thing either. I am a tad worried about Atlantis also. With their not-so-much-better ratings, it almost seems like SG-1 is an altbatross hanging around SGA's neck.

Yeah, I'm still having a hard time seeing TEAM this season. I see little interactions here and there, but I still can't sit back and see a meshed unit or a bunch of people that care about each other like with the original 4. Not to mention the recent eps where everyone seems lackluster about what's going on, like they're pod people or something.

I'll readily admit that this season has been better than the last, but neither 9 nor 10 come close to the early seasons of SG1 in terms of enthusiasm and camaraderie.
                  Yeah, the formula is without question different from that which we saw between the original 4. At times it's like they're just a bunch of people showing up for work. They don't really want to be there, but they have to in order to collect a paycheck (is that a little too bitter? I am talking about the characters here, NOT the actors so we're clear).

Comment

I was led to believe the very finale episode was to be called "Flogging A Dead Horse". Now I'm told it's callled "Unending". What gives?

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
                      I was led to believe the very finale episode was to be called "Flogging A Dead Horse". Now I'm told it's callled "Unending". What gives?
                      Actually it's "The Unending Flogging A Dead Horse."
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i thought it was Vala's unending quest to get in daniel's pants?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                          I could see why you could get that impression from Season Ten's ratings performance but I think that, in theory, the maximum rating a show could get would be 100.0.

Ratings are measured as a percentage of the number of viewers who watched a show out of the total number who could have watched it.

To use "Company of Thieves" as an example, out of everybody who could have watched the show, only 1.5% of them did watch.

OK silly question here but just so I can understand this whole ratings thing.....
                          What for example would be the average for say LOST? Or American Idol? I don't need exact numbers - and I do know ones cable and the others are network which I assume make a difference?

Comment

Lost and American Idol are likely a LOT bigger. they're on the broadcast networks, which have a wider distribution and so usuallly always get much larger ratings.

i THINK for a network show to be considered a 'hit' it gets 20%+

there are also two kinds of ratings. one kind that considers x number of tv's in the area, % of which are watching a specific show vs x number of tv's ON that are watching a show

can't recall which is called which

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              Lost and American Idol are likely a LOT bigger. they're on the broadcast networks, which have a wider distribution and so usuallly always get much larger ratings.

i THINK for a network show to be considered a 'hit' it gets 20%+

there are also two kinds of ratings. one kind that considers x number of tv's in the area, % of which are watching a specific show vs x number of tv's ON that are watching a show

can't recall which is called which
                              Yes, but it seems to me when SG1 and SGA ratings fall even a tad everyone gets all excited. I mean 1.6 - 1.8 - 2 it doesn't seem that significant to me.

Plus I would assume at least 50-60% of the people with boxes(Neilson that is) would tune in to a popular show. Or am I way off here?

Comment

ratings don't count for people in general. they only count for neilson families. Last i knew there were about 5000 of them

there are also metered markets - big cities - where they can pull over nights

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X