S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEM
    If you pass through the magnet field on the way down, you'll lose your memories.

Also, maybe the Van Allen Belt.

Comment

i dunno. is skiffy dictating stories and storytelling technique? is coop having to get skiffy's input and approval on all stories? or is this relatively sudden change in writing style a symptom of an ever decreasing number of writers doing twice the work in the same amount of time, thus leading to cookie cutter shows (and heck, homaging their own freaking stories) in an effort to keep up the desired output?

or is it folks knowing that sg1 is doomed simply letting it coast so that they can turn thier attention to the future - and their chance for continuing employment - and taking care of atlantis while sg1 is just left on its own?
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
        Maybe I'm missing something but I have no desire to see season 9 again. And it's not just my dislike of Val and Cam. I love Daniel, Teal'c and Sam but I can't find them. The dissing of the character of Jack O'Neill is another major rant I will spare you.
        Oh S9's reruns have just started playing here, and if I tune in (by accident) I tune right out. It has nothing to draw me in, I see Cam and this (wretched) feeling comes over me, which can only be cured by changing the channel
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
          Also, maybe the Van Allen Belt.
          Or the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
            If you pass through the magnet field on the way down, you'll lose your memories.
            And your clothes.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              Or not knowing what you've previously written as cannon (and I'm only talking about S9 ) Why could Merlin descend (and Orlin S6) and keep their memories, yet Daniel could not or Orlin (S9) Oy, now I'm getting confused
              Good points!

You forgot that Vala may have the location of Merlin’s super-weapon locked some where in her little brain which would imply that the snake that hijacked her had an inkling of where such an awesome weapon was hidden but never bothered to look for it or use it against the galaxy.

Yup! Sure sound like the peaceful, life respecting snakes I know.

We won’t even get in to when we first met Orlin and how the others were quite prepared to destroy us from keeping us from obtaining that other weapon. But they of course won’t lift a finger this time to prevent us from finding a weapon that by every indication is capable of killing ascended beings.
              Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                or is it folks knowing that sg1 is doomed simply letting it coast so that they can turn thier attention to the future - and their chance for continuing employment - and taking care of atlantis while sg1 is just left on its own?
                The fact that RDA was slotted to guest star on Atlantis for the Mid-season final and not SG-1’s tells me where they were trying to pull fans in.

I think they had a pretty good idea this was most likely going to be SG-1’s last season.
                Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot
                  The fact that RDA was slotted to guest star on Atlantis for the Mid-season final and not SG-1’s tells me where they were trying to pull fans in.

I think they had a pretty good idea this was most likely going to be SG-1’s last season.
                  My thoughts as well. I don't know when TPTB realized that SG1 was finished, but I can't imagine it was as late as the 200th ep party. They might have had a clue as early as the end of s9, but I bet the low numbers for the season premiere sealed the deal.

I just don't buy into the idea that TPTB is some naive group who thought SG1 was going to go on forever and then SciFi suddenly pulled the rug out from under them, complete with evil villain cackling laugh. TPTB knew this was coming, and I imagine they were getting updates from SciFi and prepping for the possible cancellation well before 200.

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot

i agree.

personally i think they went into s10 knowing that they stood maybe a 10% chance of getting renewed, hence the sudden change from 'this show could go on forever' to 'hey, everything since s6 has just been icing on the cake'
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i agree.

personally i think they went into s10 knowing that they stood maybe a 10% chance of getting renewed, hence the sudden change from 'this show could go on forever' to 'hey, everything since s6 has just been icing on the cake'
                      And yet, knowing this was going to be their last season, you would think they would try to write the season so they could set it up for the next incarnation. Whether it be a movie or new series, from what I've seen so far, I don't think I'll be tuning into the show
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                        My thoughts as well. I don't know when TPTB realized that SG1 was finished, but I can't imagine it was as late as the 200th ep party. They might have had a clue as early as the end of s9, but I bet the low numbers for the season premiere sealed the deal.

I just don't buy into the idea that TPTB is some naive group who thought SG1 was going to go on forever and then SciFi suddenly pulled the rug out from under them, complete with evil villain cackling laugh. TPTB knew this was coming, and I imagine they were getting updates from SciFi and prepping for the possible cancellation well before 200.
                        Bruce Woloshyn's post HERE actually confirms they didn't suspect they would be cancelled.
                        T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
                          Bruce Woloshyn's post HERE actually confirms they didn't suspect they would be cancelled.
                          Bruce is not a PTB silly.

He works for Rainmaker their SFX people - Doh!!
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                            At least if it wasn't called Stargate: SG-1, it would just be a crappy spin-off, instead of pretending to be something it wasn't (Stargte: SG-1, a team show, intelligent, unique... pick one).

Granted, "The Craptacular Cam and Vala Show" would be a more appropriate name than anything containing the word 'stargate', but better "Stargate Command" than "Stargate: SG-1".
                            Yep that's true - we'd be able to totally separate it from the show we know and love (well maybe we can all separate it now - but others would be able to as well when we'd tell them we were just fans of Stargate: SG-1 and not the other show).

Comment

i agree.

Same here. I have to wonder whether some of the cast knew it as well, especially MS as he didn't sign on for another season... not saying that that was the only reason why he didn't, but it does make me wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire

I'm sure that the TPTB had to have known this. Does anyone remember Alex Levine's blog as of March 2006 where he does mention problems with
                                ratings. I did and remember posting this in The Stargate Eulogy thread.

ETA: I had to do a little searching for this and found it.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=312
                                Last edited by LaCroix; 29 September 2006, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X