S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MediaSavant
    Frankly, even some of the criticism that is here is a little bit, shall I say, trivial, for lack of a better word. For example:

Spoiler:
    I've been a casual viewer of this show for years and I never realized "For crying out loud" is supposed to be a catch phrase for Jack. It's something I'd guess that 90% of Americans say on a semi-regular basis. If it was intended to be a "catch phrase", shame on the writers who thought that back when it started. It's pretty weak.

Secondly, with apologies to those who were seriously bothered by this aspect of the episode, is this the kind of feedback that's supposed to improve the show? "Stop having this character say the common phrase "for crying out loud?" and the show will be much better.

There were far worse things wrong with the show than this.
    i think the feedback was supposed to be read "start respecting the show's past and keeping your promises". to a casual viewer i would not expect this to come through, and i mean no offence, but to TPTB i think it should have. it's a symptom. yeah maybe it's a rather trivial one, but that doesn't make the problem which has huge been around since Alavon so. personally, i've always seen FCOL as really being connected to Jack. yeah, i guess a lot of people said it, but they've had plenty of people on the show, why was it his "replacement" not that he actually replaced him or any such nonsense that did? in RL, it could happen, but in a show, since it adds to the problem, it shouldn't, and it's not that hard to cut out. also, i've always thought of it as a chiefly Minnesotan thing, not really Kansas, but apparently Sky disagrees, so i guess not.
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Okay RoX, I have a bone to pick with you

because of your post, I expected to see....

Spoiler:
      When SG1 got to the cave entrance, I was expecting to see the Killer Bunny, thanks for spoiling such an intense, meaningful moment. JK
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I personally think that they found out sometime before filming season ten that it was going to be their last season. If they let the actors know, one can't be sure. All that talk about this being icing on the cake so gave it away. However, I would think that if Claudia or Ben found out that they were going to get canceled this year that they may have not signed on for another season. I personally don't think it would have been worth it to Claudia to drag her home life into the spot light by doing those episodes where she was still pregnant. I wouldn't be surprised if TPTB told them that they expected to run to season fifteen or something like that. Unless promises of making a movie have kept them all involved.

Comment

for me, 'for cryin out loud', yes it is jack's catch phrase. so is d'oh, just like 'indeed' is teal'c's and 'theoretically' is sam's

but i just can't lose sleep over someone else saying it. Sure, if they wanted to they could have had 'for pete's sake' or some other such exclamation of frustration. and it is a midwestern thing (although so many of cam's quirks aren't really midwestern, the rantings about grandma and her grits and baptist church and the such...that's southern. Not midwestern.

bout the only place you're gonna get grits around here is Cracker Barrel)

cam strikes me as a southern boy, alabama or the like. not midwestern. first of all his twang is wrong, so are his cultural references and the such

but hey, i guess anywhere is the south to the fine folks at bridge...seeing as they're in canada and all

so while i can see how 'for cryin out loud' could bug some, to me it pales in comparison to vala the clown, adria's costume and that oh so impressive cgi at the end of the episode. FCOL is nothing compared to that cheese and lame attempts at humor
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I've been a casual viewer of this show for years and I never realized "For crying out loud" is supposed to be a catch phrase for Jack. It's something I'd guess that 90% of Americans say on a semi-regular basis. If it was intended to be a "catch phrase", shame on the writers who thought that back when it started. It's pretty weak.
            Well, please forgive me for not being an American and realizing this salient fact. All this viewer knows is that the phrase was used by Jack over eight seasons of the show and the fact that it was pinned to Jack over eight seasons of the show was highlighted often by guest characters using it after spending time with Jack – usually to the amusement/surprise of Jack or another member of SG1. Hmmmmmm. You know, that kind of sounds like a phrase pinned to Jack, to me.

Secondly, with apologies to those who were seriously bothered by this aspect of the episode, is this the kind of feedback that's supposed to improve the show? "Stop having this character say the common phrase "for crying out loud?" and the show will be much better.
            I don't believe I said in my post that my aim was to improve the show.

Sometimes, I could care less about offering up constructive criticism to TPTB. Sometimes, I'm not intent on improving the show. Frankly, I'm rarely intent on improving the show. Because by this point I believe that it's beyond saving or redemption, no matter what they did to it. Sometimes, I just want to vent without any real purpose to it other than to register that something irked me. <shrug> I don't see anything that obliges me to always ensure that what irks me is BIG and IMPORTANT. Have I missed a rule?

Yes, of course there are many huge things wrong with the show. And I've complained about them often and bitterly and will continue to. But there are sometimes just small things that bug the hell out of you, also, and if they do, then by god I'm going to vent about them here, too. Just like I do with the huge, important ones. Because I don't read anything in the title of this thread which states 'for venting/misgivings about THE IMPORTANT BITS OF SG1 only'. I figure since the intent of the thread is to complain about anything and everything which bugs you on S10, this is the place I'll vent about anything and everything which bugs me. Large or small. Hugely important, trivial or all things inbetween. Certainly, I have no intention of always making sure my venting here is linked to the big picture and the grand scheme of things.

There were far worse things wrong with the show than this.
            Yup. Doesn't mean they always have to be the focus of discussion. Or that the trivial can't be commented on.

Albion
            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
              Well, please forgive me for not being an American and realizing this salient fact. All this viewer knows is that the phrase was used by Jack over eight seasons of the show and the fact that it was pinned to Jack over eight seasons of the show was highlighted often by guest characters using it after spending time with Jack – usually to the amusement/surprise of Jack or another member of SG1. Hmmmmmm. You know, that kind of sounds like a phrase pinned to Jack, to me.

snip for space

Albion
              Thats because its not a fact. 90% of americans may have heard the phrase before but very few use it. Stuff like that tends to be regional. Like here in ohio we say "cool beans" and the term "please" when we mean "excuse me". I lived in Indiana and never heard anyone ever use any of these terms. I lived in Texas and never heard them. I lived in Colorado and rarely heard them (I was in the military so there were some different groups of people so sometimes you heard them). I lived in NY and NH. Everyone has their own little regional things. FCOL is just not in that great of use... but TV and movies can give phrases more use then they had prior to whatever TV or movie existed. I have heard FCOL more nowadays then I did in the past, but mostly only from my fellow Gaters.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
                I personally think that they found out sometime before filming season ten that it was going to be their last season. If they let the actors know, one can't be sure. All that talk about this being icing on the cake so gave it away. However, I would think that if Claudia or Ben found out that they were going to get canceled this year that they may have not signed on for another season. I personally don't think it would have been worth it to Claudia to drag her home life into the spot light by doing those episodes where she was still pregnant. I wouldn't be surprised if TPTB told them that they expected to run to season fifteen or something like that. Unless promises of making a movie have kept them all involved.
                I'm sure that they intended to run past the end of Season Ten when they brought BB, Beau Bridges and CB onboard for Season Nine - I think that Vala was all but guaranteed as a regular - otherwise, why bring on three big name actors instead of saving a few pennies and hiring unknown actors for at least two of those roles?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                  Thats because its not a fact. 90% of americans may have heard the phrase before but very few use it. Stuff like that tends to be regional. Like here in ohio we say "cool beans" and the term "please" when we mean "excuse me". I lived in Indiana and never heard anyone ever use any of these terms. I lived in Texas and never heard them. I lived in Colorado and rarely heard them (I was in the military so there were some different groups of people so sometimes you heard them). I lived in NY and NH. Everyone has their own little regional things. FCOL is just not in that great of use... but TV and movies can give phrases more use then they had prior to whatever TV or movie existed. I have heard FCOL more nowadays then I did in the past, but mostly only from my fellow Gaters.
                  I agree. I grew up in a small town about 15 miles from where RDA lived. 'Fer cryin' out loud was used by everyone — that Jack used it so much made me laugh. (Aw, Crap was big there as well.) While living in Connecticut I never heard *anyone* use that phrase and I've only heard a few people use it in Colorado (and they were transplants from the midwest). It *is* a small thing, but it's definitely Jack for me and I just don't like Mr. Grits using that expression. Which, of course, doesn't mean there aren't other bigger issues with the show, IMO. It's just the little things that bug one sometimes.

Like Vala's freaking pigtails. I can't express how stupid I think they are. Are they going for cute with her? I'm surprised they haven't painted little freckles across her nose and cheeks to complete the look. Vala, in this episode, was the worst she's ever been, IMO.
                  Spoiler:
                  The writers apparently think it's funny to have her bring her hair dryer along to another planet? What ever happened to subtle humor?

Comment

these boys wouldn't know subtle if it hit them over the head

I can understand how FCOL bugs some. Just like vala's pigtails bug some (read me)

I guess my issue with it boils down to this. I remember s6 when spoilers for shadowplay were leaked and it was said that jonas was an orphan. some ardent fans of daniel's were in an uproar because 'being an orphan was daniel's schtick. making jonas an orphan is just more mimickry'

when in reality, we know nothing about jack's parents, teal'c' dad was dead, nothing known about his mother and only sam had a living parent...being an orpahn was not unique to daniel, in fact it's a common part of the hero archetype
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble
                      I agree. I grew up in a small town about 15 miles from where RDA lived. 'Fer cryin' out loud was used by everyone — that Jack used it so much made me laugh. (Aw, Crap was big there as well.) While living in Connecticut I never heard *anyone* use that phrase and I've only heard a few people use it in Colorado (and they were transplants from the midwest). It *is* a small thing, but it's definitely Jack for me and I just don't like Mr. Grits using that expression.
                      Some people I know here use it. Its not exactly very "common" but people do say it more than most think.

Like Vala's freaking pigtails. I can't express how stupid I think they are. Are they going for cute with her? I'm surprised they haven't painted little freckles across her nose and cheeks to complete the look.
                      Ugh, I agree its way too cutesy, they drive me insane. Why can't she just have her hair the way it was in TPTB...
                      sigpic
                      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                        Ugh, I agree its way too cutesy, they drive me insane. Why can't she just have her hair the way it was in TPTB...
                        I think you mean "Prometheus unbound" ? Anyway, the answer is still simple: Before S9 there was nothing, so thou shalst not mention anything from before S9. Furthermore Vala is now their "Mary Sue" character, so she needs to be cute just like TPTB think they and their show are.
                        Signed,

Gregorius
                        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius
                          I think you mean "Prometheus unbound" ?
                          No, I meant "The Powers That Be".

But remember Valas a simple minded child now apparently so lets make her look like one, its sooo funny.
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                            No, I meant "The Powers That Be".

But remember Valas a simple minded child now apparently so lets make her look like one, its sooo funny.
                            Well yes! That more mature look might scare the new demographic, children aged 4 ~ 10 away, so they did what you said: They turned Vala into a child as well, so those children get the idea "See! We're always helping the adults solve their mess! Yay us!". Of course this is also the reason Cambo exists.
                            Signed,

Gregorius
                            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                              Okay RoX, I have a bone to pick with you

because of your post, I expected to see....

Spoiler:
                              When SG1 got to the cave entrance, I was expecting to see the Killer Bunny, thanks for spoiling such an intense, meaningful moment. JK
                              <SNERK>

I honestly was expecting to be able to "Python" the show but alas all we got instead of tripe was blancmange. Damn but this was one bland ep but it wasn't quite as bad as last season's midway two parter.

I was so seriously bored that it was when Daniel was doing his fire pondering that I noticed that Ben had a bit of wardrobe trouble when he stood up. He started to stand up and stopped suddenly and moved his gun from between his legs and then finished standing up - naturally I went back for a second look Actually I think his P90 or whatever got hooked on his sidearm holster. This however lead me to notice that he left his pack behind - very careless continuity people.

Now this season rather than bag Lt Col Greenie and sloppy production etc etc all I was worried about initially was if Ben might of hurt himself and all this was happening while Daniel was "wrestling" with the meaning of the last virtue I'd actually forgotten about the "action" while my attention was diverted elsewhere.

This ep was definitely nowhere as near bad as I thought it could have been but I sure wouldn't be bragging about it if it were mine.
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                these boys wouldn't know subtle if it hit them over the head

I can understand how FCOL bugs some. Just like vala's pigtails bug some (read me)

I guess my issue with it boils down to this. I remember s6 when spoilers for shadowplay were leaked and it was said that jonas was an orphan. some ardent fans of daniel's were in an uproar because 'being an orphan was daniel's schtick. making jonas an orphan is just more mimickry'

when in reality, we know nothing about jack's parents, teal'c' dad was dead, nothing known about his mother and only sam had a living parent...being an orpahn was not unique to daniel, in fact it's a common part of the hero archetype
                                Wow no wonder why they stayed clear of Jonas's past. The last couple of days I've heard stuff like how he wasn't well developed because they never went into his background. Now I know why. Awe! Poor Jonas! Sorry, I love the underdogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X