S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Racingtime
    This might be a stupid question but does the ratings system only go up to 2?
    I could see why you could get that impression from Season Ten's ratings performance but I think that, in theory, the maximum rating a show could get would be 100.0.

Ratings are measured as a percentage of the number of viewers who watched a show out of the total number who could have watched it.

To use "Company of Thieves" as an example, out of everybody who could have watched the show, only 1.5% of them did watch.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Ah yes, I've decided I'm definitely watching Monty Python and The Holy Grail BEFORE The Quest Part 1

I'm sure they'll have a better grip on things

The Quest is given - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4tWBILtrSU
      On Second thought let's not go to Cam-Alot tis a silly place!!

The inspiration for Cam "saving" Teal'c from yet another torture session in Stronghold - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JPL-rEuc9o
      "Hey!"

Killer bunnies - The Real inspiration for the tree ferrets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
      "Run Away!! Run Away!!"
      -

Comment

Thanks for the ratings explanation. I'm getting it now.

Also having read the longer description on Solutions for The Quest Part 1:

Spoiler:
        The Parchment tells them what virtues they need (in order to access the Sangreal): prudence, wisdom, charity, kindness, and faith. So do people speculate that this is going to be all Daniel or is each person on the team supposed to represent one of those virtues? Also I wonder if the dream that Vala has leading them to the location is put in her mind by Adria or if it's some buried memory from Qetesh (sp?) similar to how Jolinar's memory led Sam and the others to the Tok'ra.

Did anyone see Joe Mallozzi's description of it in TV Zone: "It's sort of an epic tale along the lines of Dungeons and Dragons. If you ever played that or enjoy fantasy-type stories then this is the one for you."

Comment

Thanks for the ratings explanation. I'm getting it now.

Spoiler:
          The Parchment tells them what virtues they need (in order to access the Sangreal): prudence, wisdom, charity, kindness, and faith. So do people speculate that this is going to be all Daniel or is each person on the team supposed to represent one of those virtues? Also I wonder if the dream that Vala has leading them to the location is put in her mind by Adria or if it's some buried memory from Qetesh (sp?) similar to how Jolinar's memory led Sam and the others to the Tok'ra.

Did anyone see Joe Mallozzi's description of it in TV Zone: "It's sort of an epic tale along the lines of Dungeons and Dragons. If you ever played that or enjoy fantasy-type stories then this is the one for you."
          With regard to the virtues :
          Individually -
          Count out the two newbies (my first reaction was <SNORT> Ya mean Cambo & The Bimbo?)
          Count out Daniel - especially post S8 Daniel and I've never associated the first one with him anyway.
          Teal'c - no
          Sam - maybe if ya stretch it

Collectively - the BIG3 yeah but not the newbies

With regard to the second bit - I've given up reading anything by TPTB - it wasn't doing my blood pressure any good

Oh, man! I hadn't seen those spoilers before and I think it's gonna be worse than I thought - I mean just think about it
          Spoiler:
          M&M does D&D
          BARF

Where's those Killer Bunnies???
          -

Comment

D'oh! Sorry, Albion! I forgot that when one quotes all the quoted material disappears, so you wouldn't be able to see what I'd done. d'oh d'oh d'oh! i can't believe i did that!
            LOL - no worries, Dem, thanks for the info.

Now, for my own bang head on desk moment , I was about to say that that's exactly what I'm doing, the codes I'm putting in, but it doesn't work for me...

...only now I'm fairly convinced that I've been putting in SPOILER and not SPOILERS.

Which would tend to explain quite a bit.

Yup, just tested it and working fine now.

Albion
            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Spoiler:
              You know, I love dragons. Can't get enough of them. But, somehow, I'm just not getting the feeling that I'm going to like this one at all.

Go figure.

Albion
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                I think it's actually a slight drop. I'm fairly sure that "Memento Mori" managed to garner a 1.6. I wonder what's to blame for the low ratings this week - competition, bad weather, good weather, not enough advertising....
                Trust me “Men in Trees” which was the only original programming for the night was NO competition and explanation for the ratings drop.

Geesh....

How many times do I need to remind you people: Blame the Jack fans! We WANT credit! ;>

How they do tonight should be interesting with RDA’s return on Atlantis and the fact that tonight starts all the new prime time original programming.
                Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

D&D?? Oh dear god..... We ARE trapped in Ren Fair h*ll!

I was never a fantasy Sci Fi fan so D&D never really appealed to me. No offense to any D&D fans we might have lurking.
                  Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                    Rant away - that would have really made it interesting.
                    I think the Arthurian legend was TPTB misjudging their audience again.
                    Goes to show you how much I trusted TPTB for keeping their word but...

When they started talking about how Jack would be mentioned on screen in season 9 and this whole big quest deal. I honestly thought they’d past the torch by Daniel discovering that the Jack trapped in the past was in fact Merlin and he was the one that hid the weapon. So even if Jack wasn’t on screen his presence would still be felt.

I gave them WAY too much credit for them keeping their promises and originality.

Comment

Are we sure that Cam's not playing dress up with his dad's - or his beloved godfather General Magwitch's - ribbons?
                      My biggest problem with Mitchell and the career path they gave him is that it doesn’t fit in the context of today’s military.

Jack you had a lot more wiggle room with the whole Spec Ops and fighter pilot thing because of his age. Jack’s old enough to have bounced back and forth BEFORE Special Ops Command was formed back in the 80’s military revamp. I Air Force flew a lot of missions for the CIA before towards the end ‘Nam and before AF Spec Ops Command was officially created in 1982.

Mitchell... You don’t have that type of wiggle room. To be a squadron leader it’s a pretty damned set career path. So NO I’d highly doubt Mitchell has any other training.

Why the heck they didn’t make T the new team pilot? And let Mitchell have some solid ground experience?

Comment

I wonder what's to blame for the low ratings this week - competition, bad weather, good weather, not enough advertising...
                        I think TPTB should put Adrian Monk and Shawn Spencer on the case
                        Signed,

Gregorius
                        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Another thing which really bugs me about the whole Arthurian thing. If they really wanted to cast their net and their attention on the UK, there's a whole wonderfully interesting realm of Celtic myth and Celtic gods they could have plundered for some intriguing and original plots, long before they got to the tired old, cliched Arthurian myth. What a wasted opportunity.

Albion

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I just made the mistake of looking at the summaries of the remaining S10 episodes. Dear God. <shudder> This is what we have to 'look forward' to. (Yes, I use the term advisedly).

Now I'm beginning to get rather fond of the dragon. It might NOT actually be the worst thing to happen to Stargate!

Albion

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot
                              Goes to show you how much I trusted TPTB for keeping their word but...

When they started talking about how Jack would be mentioned on screen in season 9 and this whole big quest deal. I honestly thought they’d past the torch by Daniel discovering that the Jack trapped in the past was in fact Merlin and he was the one that hid the weapon. So even if Jack wasn’t on screen his presence would still be felt.

I gave them WAY too much credit for them keeping their promises and originality.
                              wait-where have i heard that before-oh yeah-on B5 when Sinclair was trapped in the past and became Valen. Makes sense to me.

(walks off muttering to herself)
                              Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot
                                My biggest problem with Mitchell and the career path they gave him is that it doesn’t fit in the context of today’s military.

Jack you had a lot more wiggle room with the whole Spec Ops and fighter pilot thing because of his age. Jack’s old enough to have bounced back and forth BEFORE Special Ops Command was formed back in the 80’s military revamp. I Air Force flew a lot of missions for the CIA before towards the end ‘Nam and before AF Spec Ops Command was officially created in 1982.

Mitchell... You don’t have that type of wiggle room. To be a squadron leader it’s a pretty damned set career path. So NO I’d highly doubt Mitchell has any other training.

Why the heck they didn’t make T the new team pilot? And let Mitchell have some solid ground experience?
                                they severely pushed the envelope here. i wish that they had brought him in as a Major under Sam's command-he could have been the by the book soldier (airman, marine, sailor-whatever) and could have learned from being with the others and we could have watch him unfold. but-*sigh-the good old boy network is alive and well in the Stargate Universe and the untried male is given control over the tried, trained and true female .
                                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Working...
                                X