S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan
    The entire Mitchell thing reeks of a political appointment. If they wrote THAT into the show I would buy it. But without that it is just lame, lame, lame writing.
    If it was a case of somebody pulling every string they could get their hands on to get Mitchell in command of SG-1, including arranging for Sam's transfer, either because they wanted to have their pawn in that position or because Mitchell asked his powerful uncle/godfather/similar to intercede on his behalf, it would at least make some sense.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

This is exactly it. Hammond LEAD the mission that covered SG-1... where is his CMOH?

SG-1 actually saved the world.... where are their CMOH?

Hell, Jonas gave up the ability to live on his own homeworld to bring us a mineral that helped us build the Promethus which Hammond lead to help cover SG-1 to save the world.... where is his medal? In fact, he actually helped save the world once before joining SG-1 in Redemption... I didnt hear a lot of people going ooohhh jonas we soooo ooooowwwwweeee youuuuuuu. No, he did what he had to do and then he moved on. He grudgingly got the respect of SG-1.
      Jack, Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, Hammond and Jonas are all heroes as opposed to hewoes.

They don't need CMOHs to validate their existences or to justify their places at the SGC.

Comment

I pasted the below from a characterization of Mitchell from GW.

but the Colonel had difficulty finding anyone worthy of joining his team. He appealed to the former members of SG-1 to return, but was turned down.

Mitchell is a highly competent and enthusiastic leader, dedicated to military service and excited to be a part of the team he has until now only watched from the outside.

I find it ironic that he couldn't find anyone worthy of joining SG-1 when in fact he wasn't worthy of leading SG-1. And how much knowledge did Mitchell have of SG-1? I thought this was a top secrect facility, on a need to know bases. If he did read mission reports why did he have access to them?

I am not even going to comment on him being a competent leader.
        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
          but the Colonel had difficulty finding anyone worthy of joining his team. He appealed to the former members of SG-1 to return, but was turned down.
          I actually consider his actions rather childish. If Sam, Daniel and Teal'c chose to leave the SGC, he should have respected their choices rather than badgering them to rejoin. Did he honestly expect that the chance to serve under his command would be enough to convince Sam to give up a command position at Area 51, Daniel to give up his chance to go to Atlantis and Teal'c to leave his people when they needed him?

He had more than enough people to choose from. His time would have been better spent choosing three of them than bothering, and in Sam's case guilt-tripping, the original members of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            Jack, Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, Hammond and Jonas are all heroes as opposed to hewoes.

They don't need CMOHs to validate their existences or to justify their places at the SGC.
            Wow, that’s really it in a nutshell isn’t it? Just as they did not have to pimp any of these actors to make the show successful for 8 years, they never had to pimp the characters either. It just shows how weak they apparently thought the character would be… or just how weak their writing is.

snip but the Colonel had difficulty finding anyone worthy of joining his team. He appealed to the former members of SG-1 to return, but was turned down. snip
            I wouldnt want to be a member of his team either. He is not even a good enough leader to get competent people to come interview for him. All the competent people are now applying for SG-2 and above. SG-1 needed to come back to save their teams reputation more then anything else. To bad is a losing cause.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Wow, that’s really it in a nutshell isn’t it? Just as they did not have to pimp any of these actors to make the show successful for 8 years, they never had to pimp the characters either. It just shows how weak they apparently thought the character would be… or just how weak their writing is.
              The character, in my opinion anyway, is written as a green newbie, a captain or major at the very highest; somebody who means well, and idolizes SG-1 but whose inexperience shows.

The changed his rank, added a CMOH and a ridiculously contrived "hewo getting the band back together" storyline but they didn't change the character to match his record.

I wouldnt want to be a member of his team either. He is not even a good enough leader to get competent people to come interview for him. All the competent people are now applying for SG-2 and above. SG-1 needed to come back to save their teams reputation more then anything else. To bad is a losing cause.
              It's only a losing cause while Mitchell's there. Get rid of him and there'll be a mile long queue of people wanting to take the fourth slot on SG-1.

Comment

Mitchell is a highly competent and enthusiastic leader, dedicated to military service and excited to be a part of the team he has until now only watched from the outside.
                that's insanely stupid (yes, i'm mixing insults, live with it). i mean, how much more self-centered can you get? i don't freakin CARE if you're excited to be on the team? you have any IDEA how many compotent and qualified officers dream about being on that team? why the frink should i CARE that your excited to be on the team? should i be SYMPITHETIC that you had to watch it from the outside? damn, i can't even figure out how to write how annoyed this makes me. give me a break, FCOL!

you know, i've actually tried, and i can't pick a single airman under me i'd want to serve under Mitchell. i can pick a few that would do a darn good job shoving him into line though.

question: why the h*ll should i CARE that its mitchell's 200th trip through the gate!?! he's ONE freakin officer at the SGC. this is supposed to be the episode celebrating the 200th EPISODE, in season TEN and the amazing characters, actors, and crew that got them there, NOT "ooh, look at our new shiny lead that's been around for a whole TWO seasons!!! isn't he so shiny?!!"
                sigpic
                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                  this is supposed to be the episode celebrating the 200th EPISODE, in season TEN and the amazing characters, actors, and crew that got them there, NOT "ooh, look at our new shiny lead that's been around for a whole TWO seasons!!! isn't he so shiny?!!"
                  Technically, Mitchell will have one and a quarter seasons done by episode 200.

You're absolutely right that it should be about the characters, actors and crew that brought them this far, not just about those who joined up towards the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                    Technically, Mitchell will have one and a quarter seasons done by episode 200.
                    less than i quarter, right? i though it was like ep 9.04? isn't that a fifth?
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

less than i quarter, right? i though it was like ep 9.04? isn't that a fifth?
                      I thought that 200 would be the sixth episode of Season Ten. The first seven seasons had 22 episodes and the eight and ninth 20 each, right?

Comment

question: why the h*ll should i CARE that its mitchell's 200th trip through the gate!?! he's ONE freakin officer at the SGC. this is supposed to be the episode celebrating the 200th EPISODE, in season TEN and the amazing characters, actors, and crew that got them there, NOT "ooh, look at our new shiny lead that's been around for a whole TWO seasons!!! isn't he so shiny?!!"
                        Dude.

I read the GW article on Uninvited & 200 and immediately stomped over to this thread. (Actually, first i stopped at the article thread and chuckled as people tried to figure out the 200th trip thing, THEN i stomped over here). Ya know, people keep saying that it's an over-reaction to claim that Mitchell has taken over the show, but if one doesn't see the hewo-centricism in 200's premise (assuming we're interpreting the meaning of "200th trip" correctly), one is very likely blind.
                        Last edited by DEM; 05 July 2006, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                          Dude.

I read the GW article on Uninvited & 200 and immediately stomped over to this thread. (Actually, first i stopped at the article thread and chuckled as people tried to figure out the 200th trip thing, THEN i stomped over here). Ya know, people keep saying that it's an over-reaction to claim that Mitchell has taken over the show, but if one doesn't see the hewo-centricism in 200's premise (assuming we're interpreting the meaning of "200th trip" correctly), one is very likely blind.
                          I have read that sentence several times. Its very poorly written. It kinda makes it sound like Cam 200th trip, but I don't think he has been on the team that long. And I am sure Sam, Teal'c and Daniel have been thru the gate more than 200 times. It would make more sense if was SG-1 200th mission.

Anyway if Cam is the center focus of this ep, I am going to puke.
                          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

I have read that sentence several times. Its very poorly written. It kinda makes it sound like Cam 200th trip, but I don't think he has been on the team that long. And I am sure Sam, Teal'c and Daniel have been thru the gate more than 200 times. It would make more sense if was SG-1 200th mission.

Anyway if Cam is the center focus of this ep, I am going to puke.
                            Maybe I should keep a bucket close by, just in case.

Comment

I have read that sentence several times. Its very poorly written. It kinda makes it sound like Cam 200th trip, but I don't think he has been on the team that long.
                              Yes, the sentence is atrociously written. I do, however, think that the "Cam's 200th" interpretation is correct.

Assume each mission involves 2 trips through the event horizon:

200/2 = 100 missions.

Episode 200 is 10.6, which would be approx. 58 weeks for Mitchell. Let's round down to one year, assuming leave time.

100 missions/52 weeks = 1.9 missions per week.

That amount of activity would be in keeping with series history, I think. Moreover, Mitchell's actual average is most likely lower than 1.9 because many missions involve more than 2 trips thru the stargate.

... then again, I wouldn't be surprised if there is dialogue in 200 that explains that Mitchell has accomplished his 200th trip In Record-Breaking Time!

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                                Yes, the sentence is atrociously written. I do, however, think that the "Cam's 200th" interpretation is correct.

Assume each mission involves 2 trips through the event horizon:

200/2 = 100 missions.

Episode 200 is 10.6, which would be approx. 58 weeks for Mitchell. Let's round down to one year, assuming leave time.

100 missions/52 weeks = 1.9 missions per week.

That amount of activity would be in keeping with series history, I think. Moreover, Mitchell's actual average is most likely lower than 1.9 because many missions involve more than 2 trips thru the stargate.

... then again, I wouldn't be surprised if there is dialogue in 200 that explains that Mitchell has accomplished his 200th trip In Record-Breaking Time!
                                No doubt. Super Cam does everything bigger and better then everyone else. Hell hes even from Kansas so now he gets to be Dorthy, the STAR of the show. Too bad the show was waaayyy better for the 8 years he wasnt on it.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X