S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    I wonder if there are any Season Nine fanfics where SG-1 consists of Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and Jonas. Might try my hand at one myself if I can't find one, once I learn to write Jonas.

jonas really isn't all that hard to write. in fact, until very recently, he was tons easier than daniel. I never could wrap my brain around daniel. never really 'got him'

jack is easy
    sam is easy
    teal'c i had to work on but now love him
    jonas is easy

daniel...was really, really hard for me. In fact, i had to make myself write him after i'd realized that i had not written a daniel focused fic.

i think part of my problem is i see daniel differently from many of his fans. I dont' see him as weak, pathetic or a hesitant soul.

he's confident, intelligent, a bit pissy at times, eager, enthusiastic and very sarcastic
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

That combination (in slashes) sounds like it'd hurt.

Suse

Originally posted by Skydiver
      there are a few sam/jack/daniel/jonas/teal'c fic out there

not many, but a few
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I wonder how many of the "Bring Daniel back, we hate Jonas" faction would have had a problem with Jonas if Sam, for example, had been the one to die/Ascend. How many hated Jonas for himself rather than as a replacement for Daniel?
        there were definitly people that really didn't like jonas. but the majority, at least from what i read, hated him as a replacement for daniel. i think you'd be able to find a certain irony in the number of daniel fans that would be happy if jonas replaced sam. i know i know a few. i don't mean to slight daniel fans, because there are a lot they do like sam and did like jonas, and didn't take part in any of this.
        Originally posted by Sky
        i think part of my problem is i see daniel differently from many of his fans. I dont' see him as weak, pathetic or a hesitant soul.

he's confident, intelligent, a bit pissy at times, eager, enthusiastic and very sarcastic
        eek, how many flames did that getcha? never did understand the "pathetic" daniel angle. course, with what happened to him in s9, i guess i don't really understand him at all. <trots off to Emerald City>
        sigpic
        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

jonas really isn't all that hard to write. in fact, until very recently, he was tons easier than daniel. I never could wrap my brain around daniel. never really 'got him'

jack is easy
          sam is easy

teal'c i had to work on but now love him
          jonas is easy

daniel...was really, really hard for me. In fact, i had to make myself write him after i'd realized that i had not written a daniel focused fic.

It's a good thing my wasn't drinking when I read this. Oy. My minds in the gutter tonight.

Suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

lol

you bad girl you

i'm sure there are multiple pairing orgy fic out there...somewhere

and if it hurts, well then they're not doing it right

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse
              It's a good thing my wasn't drinking when I read this. Oy. My minds in the gutter tonight.

Suse
              yes, it is. soundly in the gutter.

move over, it's 85 degrees outside and i want to paddle around

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                eek, how many flames did that getcha? never did understand the "pathetic" daniel angle. course, with what happened to him in s9, i guess i don't really understand him at all. <trots off to Emerald City>
                LOL

you want to write a fic that no one reads???? write a daniel centric fic and not be a member of the HC/slash crowd. I've noticed, if i write a fic and i put DAniel's name in the synopsis or state that it's about him, fewer people read it than if i write a sam or sam/jack or sam/teal'c fic.

I think characterization was part of my issue with daniel in the beginning. I see him as a worldly man, certainly as well traveled as jack if not better. intelligent, savvy and, yes, a bit high maintenance. He's used to being on his own or working soliatary and isn't used to a tight rein and discipline

many daniel fans like to accentuate his innocence, his naivete. they like to make him selfless, caring, sweet and adored. he's the guy that carries extra tampons for sam in his vest (yes, i've read that in fic...now honestly, don't you think that sam would DIE before she has daniel carry tampons for her????)

since much of the fic i was reading had this idealized daniel in it, i could never connect with him. My daniel is always darker than they like. He has an edge to him. and while he may not be as much 'glass is half empty' as jack is, daniel is a rather practical man whose main failing is looking short term instead of the long term ramifications of his actions

sigpic

Comment

yes, it is. soundly in the gutter.

move over, it's 85 degrees outside and i want to paddle around
                  We had a gorgeous upper-80's day with comparatively little humidity. Don't even need ac tonight. Let's hope for this next weeekend in Baltimore (and of course July 4).

You've paddled here plenty.

Where is this gutter mind coming from tonight?!?
                  Maybe it's prep of the con. Gutter minds certainly abound there.

Suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I don't get how Daniel can be seen as weak, pathetic or hesitant. Aside from the fact that somebody like that would have no business being on a frontline team exploring the galaxy and battling aliens, it doesn't fit with what I've seen if him, even in the film.

We're talking about somebody who took a lot of ridicule for his theories when others would have taken the easy route and stuck with more acceptable theories yet despite this ridicule, he has been so passionate about researching his ideas and about sharing them that he has brought himself to Catherine's attention. I didn't see much by way of hesitation when he tackled the translation, or when he convinced General West and Jack to allow him to be on the first team to travel to an alien planet about which they knew nothing. Out of all the team, he is the one who seems most comfortable among the Abydonians.

Aside from the shot of Little Orphan Daniel standing in the rain with his meager belongings, nothing about him came across as weak or pathetic.

In "Children of the Gods", he adds his own name to SG-1, cutting off General Hammond (does anybody else wonder who the other two members of SG-1 were going to be?) and insisting that he needs to be on the team.

If Daniel was weak, pathetic and hesitant, then I would be saying that he should be removed from SG-1 and given a desk job because he would not be somebody I would want to see sent into a combat situation.

Now that sounds more like Daniel.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

LOL

you want to write a fic that no one reads???? write a daniel centric fic and not be a member of the HC/slash crowd. I've noticed, if i write a fic and i put DAniel's name in the synopsis or state that it's about him, fewer people read it than if i write a sam or sam/jack or sam/teal'c fic.

I think characterization was part of my issue with daniel in the beginning. I see him as a worldly man, certainly as well traveled as jack if not better. intelligent, savvy and, yes, a bit high maintenance. He's used to being on his own or working soliatary and isn't used to a tight rein and discipline

many daniel fans like to accentuate his innocence, his naivete. they like to make him selfless, caring, sweet and adored. he's the guy that carries extra tampons for sam in his vest (yes, i've read that in fic...now honestly, don't you think that sam would DIE before she has daniel carry tampons for her????)

since much of the fic i was reading had this idealized daniel in it, i could never connect with him. My daniel is always darker than they like. He has an edge to him. and while he may not be as much 'glass is half empty' as jack is, daniel is a rather practical man whose main failing is looking short term instead of the long term ramifications of his actions
                      Bolded part is absolutely disgusting. Unless they are secretly married. It's bad enough some have then gicving her chocolate at that time. At least that's self-preservation.

Daniel could not possibly be that naive. Idealistic, ready to believe the best, sure. But I think I like your idea of him better. It's so much more real. end fangirl moment But I franlkly don't find much Daniel-centric fic intersting. I even had to fight thru yours. Fairly even distribution of team is fine. Too much Daniel = snack time. :-/

On that note: That's why I had problems with S9. I didn't like what was done to Daniel eps 1-5, and 19. I found it unrealistic. And demeaning. And sexual harassment.

Suse
                      Last edited by suse; 01 July 2006, 09:39 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

he's the guy that carries extra tampons for sam in his vest (yes, i've read that in fic...now honestly, don't you think that sam would DIE before she has daniel carry tampons for her????)
                        Wouldn't it also be pretty disturbing for poor Sam to realize that one of her teammates apparently pays enough attention to her cycle to know when these tampons will be needed? Or does Daniel carry them around all the time to be on the safe side, just in case Sam forgets?

By the way, does anybody know where the idea of Daniel as an abused child came from? Is it purely a fanon idea? I don't remember any suggestion on the show.

Comment

i think you'd be able to find a certain irony in the number of daniel fans that would be happy if jonas replaced sam. i know i know a few.
                          So between Jonas and Sam, Jonas is the lesser evil?

Comment

So between Jonas and Sam, Jonas is the lesser evil?
                            i think its more like Jonas isn't evil unless he's replacing Daniel.
                            Originally posted by Sky
                            LOL

<snort> because people know your daniel, or because you're a sam fan? [quote=Sky]I think characterization was part of my issue with daniel in the beginning. I see him as a worldly man, certainly as well traveled as jack if not better. intelligent, savvy and, yes, a bit high maintenance. He's used to being on his own or working soliatary and isn't used to a tight rein and discipline

Originally posted by Sly
                            yeeeah, i've read that one too. slash is even worse. but what i really can't stand are the daniel's The Most Caring Man In the Universe, and sam's a total B*tch.
                            Originally posted by Sky
                            when i first started reading fanfic, daniel's characterization really threw me. it was confusing, actually turned me off the canon character for a while.
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)

Comment

i think its more like Jonas isn't evil unless he's replacing Daniel.
                              So Jonas himself isn't a problem, just the fact that he was there when Daniel wasn't?

but what i really can't stand are the daniel's The Most Caring Man In the Universe, and sam's a total B*tch.
                              Is this that thing about Jack not being allowed to be close to more than one person and Sam being villified because of Jack caring about her? Is Sam seen as such a threat that she has to be recast as "The B|tch"?

I don't get that.

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                                Bolded part is absolutely disgusting. Unless they are secretly married. It's bad enough some have then gicving her chocolate at that time. At least that's self-preservation.
                                the chocolate ones really amuse me. personally, i'd be much worse if my teammates tried to do that to me. i'd go from embarrassed to pissed "reg, i will not hit them, i will not him them, there's a reg, there MUST be a reg, i will not hit them" VERY quickly.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X