S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kazzyk
    I do not know to much about this but IMO they will air S9 reruns even with less than stellar ratings as they gear up for S10.
    Plus there have been many Fridays with no SG S9.
    I'd say so. Regardless of how dismal the ratings are, they'll want to scrape together as many new viewers as possible for Season Ten - and after Season Nine, they need to.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
      Seems I recall reading many times at how many millions and millions of dollars shows like Roseanne, Seinfeld and Friends, etc., garnered in syndication. Seems like big bucks pass through someones hands when it comes to syndication.
      Yep. The syndication market is huge. And the Stargate franchise must be distributed in a way that requires money to change hands from the beginning, I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        That just further proves bink's point, you know. If Stargate SG-1 only appears in Sci Fi's top ten ONCE, and it's a toss up between Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (old Stargate) and Friday nights (new Stargate), that just goes to show ya that the odds of a six-year-old episode - on its umpteenth airing - making it into the top ten are about as good as a rerun of brand!new!sg-1 eps.

I don't quite see how that's proving anything different than what bink was saying. It certainly isn't good for season nine. In fact, it's very telling. It certainly isn't good for season nine. In fact, it's very telling.
        What you are missing is that you don't know if in 2004 whether repeats of Season 7 were appearing on the top ten list either. Or in 2005, if season 8 reruns were appearing on the top ten list ahead of the Monday reruns.

So, there's no way of saying whether Season 9 is doing any better or worse on Fridays than Season 8, 7, or as far back as Stargate has been on SciFi.

So, I don't know why Season 9 is getting singled out as being different when there is no data to know either way.

Comment

oh the info is there...but we'll never see it.

it's not beneficial for skiffy to be honest and open about the ratings.

they want to sell to their advertisors 'a show that has been in our top ten consistently for years' not 'well, this season did good, but this one sucked, but this one is much better'

spin doctoring, the one way to sell what you want to sell

That's just like other tv promotions. networks do it all the time. ''tv's highest rated new drama'...yeah, well the show might also be the ONLY new drama, but they don't say that. they dont' lie, they just creatively interpret the truth
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            Seems I recall reading many times at how many millions and millions of dollars shows like Roseanne, Seinfeld and Friends, etc., garnered in syndication. Seems like big bucks pass through someones hands when it comes to syndication.
            There are two types of syndication: cash and barter.

In cash syndication, the stations do pay for the program and they got all of the advertising inventory. Stargate reruns as sold to SciFi is a cash syndication deal.

In barter syndication, the stations pay nothing to the syndicator but they give up half the commercial inventory to the syndicator. The syndicator earns money on the show by selling the advertising inventory they retain to national advertisers. Thus, the income is based on how strong the ad market is and what the show can get the advertisers to pay based on ratings.

The Stargate that runs on local stations is barter syndication. They get money from the advertisers, not from the stations. I pointed this out because the original note referred to the "syndie price":

Maybe they will wake up especially if the lousy ratings for first run S9, coupled with the even lousier repeat ratings for S9, affect the syndie price.
            If and when Season 9 enters syndication, what advertisers are willing to pay will be driven by the ratings Season 8 got the previous syndication season and the general trends in the industy. SG-1's syndication ratings have been going down each season anyway. Season 8 syndication ratings are running 18-20% behind Season 7, despite the fact that Season 8 had higher ratings on SciFi than Season 7. Season 9 is bound to get worse ratings than Season 8 when it comes into broadcast syndication next year, but whether it has any relationship to its performance on SciFi is questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
              What you are missing is that you don't know if in 2004 whether repeats of Season 7 were appearing on the top ten list either. Or in 2005, if season 8 reruns were appearing on the top ten list ahead of the Monday reruns.

So, there's no way of saying whether Season 9 is doing any better or worse on Fridays than Season 8, 7, or as far back as Stargate has been on SciFi.

So, I don't know why Season 9 is getting singled out as being different when there is no data to know either way.
              I see what you're saying, but there's really no disputing the first run difference between a 2.1 and a 1.7. It's not even just about singling reruns. This season failed to meet their expectations. And, to be fair, evidently all three of the series failed to meet their expectations.

But only one was seriously hyped to maximum capacity prior to this season, and it was Stargate SG-1. And only one of the three series had huge changes this season, and that was Stargate SG-1. And only one of the three series will continue to see changes in the upcoming season. That is SG-1.

The reruns issue is just one of many. Many people, including yourself, keep attributing it to steeper competition. But when we disregard the idea that, hey, maybe the show just doesn't have the same quality it's had in the past, that means that those in charge are able to get away with NOT taking responsibility for the huge changes they made.

Ratings decline can never be attributed to one factor. But the changes to the show and the expectations of the success of this season, coupled with a ratings decline, all suggest that the two are related.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                SG-1's syndication ratings have been going down each season anyway. Season 8 syndication ratings are running 18-20% behind Season 7, despite the fact that Season 8 had higher ratings on SciFi than Season 7.
                Why is that? Just not as many people watching it in syndication? And how does that affect production of future seasons, if demand in syndication is falling?

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  Why is that? Just not as many people watching it in syndication? And how does that affect production of future seasons, if demand in syndication is falling?

Perhaps the DVD sales have something to do with it. Who knows.

My fantasy for S10 is for Jack to ream out Mitchell for his antics - kind of like he did with Elliott in "Proving Ground." Alas, it's not meant to be as TPTB have decided to stick Jack in Atlantis for 3 eps.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                    Perhaps the DVD sales have something to do with it. Who knows.
                    Maybe. I know that I don't watch TV repeats any more since I got all eight DVD box sets - they don't have ads and I can pause them if I want a snack.

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                    My fantasy for S10 is for Jack to ream out Mitchell for his antics - kind of like he did with Elliott in "Proving Ground." Alas, it's not meant to be as TPTB have decided to stick Jack in Atlantis for 3 eps.
                    That's what I see the Jack I know and love doing. After some of the things Mitchell's done, Jack should, at minimum, give him his unvarnished opinion of his poor performance to date and preferably tell him that he's not suited to command an SG team and "suggest" that he step down as leader.

I'm dreading the thought that Jack will be used to try to endorse Mitchell. Hopefully, RDA won't allow that.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      That's what I see the Jack I know and love doing. After some of the things Mitchell's done, Jack should, at minimum, give him his unvarnished opinion of his poor performance to date and preferably tell him that he's not suited to command an SG team and "suggest" that he step down as leader.

I'm dreading the thought that Jack will be used to try to endorse Mitchell. Hopefully, RDA won't allow that.

Just my thoughts, but I would suspect RDA probably didn't watch much of S9, if any, and has no clue regarding any of Mitchell's behavior, nor any idea how fans feel about the character. I would just guess RDA would do what the writers wanted him to do and if it is to endorse Mitchell, he wouldn't have any reason not to, what with him (probably) being out of the loop and all.

Comment

rda, and the other actors, also have a perspective that we'll never have

they know ben, they know just how much skiffy/sony interferance there is, they know how the directors are doing things and what ehy mean
                        they also rarely see the finished product. all the actors know is the script and what's in the scripts sometimes is a lot different from the finished product

take the AU Sam and Cam moments that PdL stuck into ripple effect. those moments came directly from the director saying 'hey, play this up' and interpreting the writer's words...in this case in a way that the writers didn't intend
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

You know when ever I read PDL, all I can think of is that scene in Wormhole X-treme where he keeps saying "Bigger, bigger" Well aparently they are listening to him now
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                            You know when ever I read PDL, all I can think of is that scene in Wormhole X-treme where he keeps saying "Bigger, bigger" Well aparently they are listening to him now
                            i think he needs to change one of those buttons on his remote to "better, better"
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

I bought Peter DeLuise Capt Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Pooypants because of his potty humor (how many times can one person mention colans in commentaries?). But I ithnk I'll exchange it with Capt. Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets in honor of the Ori. Still potty humor even.

Suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                                I bought Peter DeLuise Capt Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Pooypants because of his potty humor (how many times can one person mention colans in commentaries?). But I ithnk I'll exchange it with Capt. Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets in honor of the Ori. Still potty humor even.

Suse
                                Let me know which DVD this is on so I won't waste my money on it
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X