S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan
    So when will Atlantis (or stargate SG-whatever) be shuffled off of Friday night in the typical timeslot shuffle before cancellation?

I expect if Eureka is any good at all then it will be moved to scifi friday. And if Dr Who did any good at all, they may want to keep that. Then you got that BSG spinnoff they probably want to put near its parent. So I can see Scifi Friday shaping up with (7) Dr who (8)Eureka (9) BSG2 (10) BSG.
    Course BSG is premeiring later in the year (sad that stargate cant even stand competition on the same network) so maybe they will do a midseason break thing. Start with Dr who, Stargate, Atlantis, BSG rerun. Then Dr who, Stargate rerun, Ereka, BSG premier. Maybe see what gets the best ratings and Stargate and Atlantis get shuffled for the second half of the year.

Also what happened to the Starwars series, wasnt that supposed to be on scifi?

Odd that Eureka is premiering on a Monday. considering the aforementioned "consistancey" and the heavier network competition (aka football). Maybe they think that show actually can pull people away from shows like staking with the network washups..
    But I was so looking forward to skating with the network washups starring Whatshisname
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      I just wonder if the ratings for the s1-8 RERUNS are higher than the ratings for S9?
      That would be sooo telling, but they wouldn't understand it anyway 2+2=7
      I have been watching the ratings returns for S9 reruns on skiffy for the past several weeks and it does not make the Top 10 consistently from week to week as it did in previous seasons (and if it does crack the top 10 it is usually at No. 10) plus it has been weeks since I have seen it above 0.9 (when it has not cracked the Top 10 sometimes the 10th spot has a 0.9 or a 0.8 meaning that Stargate SG1 has been below 0.9 and/or 0.8 because they usually post ties as well. These repeat ratings are definitely lower than previous first run reruns of the present season on skiffy. Maybe they will wake up especially if the lousy ratings for first run S9, coupled with the even lousier repeat ratings for S9, affect the syndie price. TPRTS cannot be THAT blind -can they???

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
        I have been watching the ratings returns for S9 reruns on skiffy for the past several weeks and it does not make the Top 10 consistently from week to week as it did in previous seasons (and if it does crack the top 10 it is usually at No. 10) plus it has been weeks since I have seen it above 0.9 (when it has not cracked the Top 10 sometimes the 10th spot has a 0.9 or a 0.8 meaning that Stargate SG1 has been below 0.9 and/or 0.8 because they usually post ties as well. These repeat ratings are definitely lower than previous first run reruns of the present season on skiffy. Maybe they will wake up especially if the lousy ratings for first run S9, coupled with the even lousier repeat ratings for S9, affect the syndie price. TPRTS cannot be THAT blind -can they???
        Well seeing as they took Atlantis off of the Monday schedule and put SG1 back on, they must be seeing something
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
          Well seeing as they took Atlantis off of the Monday schedule and put SG1 back on, they must be seeing something
          yeah they may be seeing that SGA cannot really stand on it's own ergo the cross-over push for S10 (especially the 3 eps with RDA). Desperation has a distinct smell in TV land. Perhaps what they also see is that ORIGINAL SG1 repeats (that have been repeated to death over the past 5 years) fare better than a shiny new show in only it's third season. I would love to know how the Monday repeats stack up in ratings against the S9 repeats on Fridays - it would be a hoot (and a kick-in-the-head) if the Monday repeats of the original SG1 (for me one and only SG1) gets similar, or better, ratings than the S9 repeats on Fridays - I don't know at 0.9 and 0.8 and less for the Friday repeats it seems the Monday night stacks have a good chance of getting similar ratings even after umpteen years of repeats. SG1 does tend to beat SGA in syndie ratings too. HHmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by suse
            Unfortunately I agree with that bolded part exactly.

I really think with Rick gone (I now think all the fans underestimate how much decision making he did behind the scenes) Sony and Sci Fi felt they had/could put their hands into the pot. Wright and Cooper just don't have enough Hollywood clout. Rick did. And W&C did not stand up to the suits. Plus I think Rick managed to soften some...excitable, boyish...tendencies the B@B (love that abbreviation SIMH!) have. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. ::shrug::

Suse
            If some of the interviews by CJ and MS are to be believed--RDA behind the scenes was considerable.
            The actors went on and on about their hands not being tied anymore now that RDA is gone (of course this was at the beginning of S9).

This whole movie/3rd show thing is baffling but I really think TPTB thought S9 would be "great" and now everything is riding on S10. If interest is not improved--I am not so sure we see the 3rd show--maybe a movie but not a show.

TPTB made 3 fatal errors......
            1. they underestimated the fans--big time.
            2. they relied far to much on the popularity of Farscape.
            3. Last but not least--they forgot that universal law--"If it isnt broke--dont fix it".

Comment

don't get me wrong, i enjoy atlantis. i do like the stories and it's a show that i just watch. i'm not into the fandom at all

but you know, the characters all have the depth of a mud puddle. I"m not attached to any of them in any way. When i watch an eps, i'm not intrigued or enticed...i just watch.

i have zero emotional attachment to it, so i can take it or leave it.

shep is your cliched wisecracking hewo
              liz is the maternal figure (who soooo needs to stand up to shep but is really ntohing more than his 'yes girl')
              ronon is the noble alien (just with issues)
              teyla is the eyecandy
              rod is the annoying genius
              ford - imho - is far more intersting now that he's been compromised. let's see if they deal with it or ignore it
              zelenka is fun
              lorne is adorable and about the only 'real' character on the show
              carson is the token 'different nationality' and moralistic one

i think the only one i'd be upset if he got killed off is lorne. (course, that's also cause i know the rest are safe. nothing will happen to them, their names are in the credits)

with no emotional attachment, i really don't care about the show so i'mnot enticed to tune in

that will be atlantis' failing. not the plot or set or sfx, the fact that the characters are bland to the core
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Very interesting info about the poor ratings for the repeats. TPTB may have convinced themselves that all of the negative comments are coming from a handful of disgruntled fans, but numbers are very difficult to argue with.

Mathematically, if a million people used to watch the show in Season Eight (I know it was more than that, but bear with me) and another hundred thousand started watching the show because of the casting changes in Season Nine, yet the viewer number dropped to nine hundred thousand, it means that two hundred thousand stopped watching.

Is it worthwhile to gain a hundred thousand viewers if in the process you lose two old viewers for every new viewer?

Any kind of dip in viewer numbers would be worrying, but according to the figures posted on GateWorld, the first run of Season Nine averaged ratings of 1.8, compared with Season Eight's score of 2.1. That translates to a loss of 402,000 viewers. Even a .2 difference means a loss of 268,000 viewers. The number of new viewers who started watching in Season Nine hould be added to this to get an accurate picture of the total number of viewers lost.

All in all, it does not look good, especially combined with low repeat ratings. In TPTB's shoes, I'd be preparing excuses for cancellation too.

(By the way, what does TPRTS stand for?)

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                  Odd that Eureka is premiering on a Monday. considering the aforementioned "consistancey" and the heavier network competition (aka football). Maybe they think that show actually can pull people away from shows like staking with the network washups..
                  Oy. I didn't understand this at first. I got visions of Buffy running arouns staking people...

SUse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

For those of you that like fanfic, this is what I'd like to see happen in S10
                    Repercussions
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                      I am really interested in this aspect because this is where the money is and tells the tale.
                      Anything else you find--please share
                      Wont let me green you!

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
                        Thanks for the info!
                        I am really interested in this aspect because this is where the money is and tells the tale.
                        Anything else you find--please share
                        Wont let me green you!
                        It will also be interesting to see how the DVD sales fare for Season Nine.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

You haven't been watching the ratings returns for S9 reruns. The way they do their top ten list, they list only the highest rated episode of a series if that series is on more than once a week. Thus, we don't know if the rating shown for Stargate SG-1 is the Friday rating, one of the Monday ratings, or one of the stripped 6PM ratings. We don't know if one airing got that rating or several did. They just label it "Stargate SG-1" not "Friday's Stargate SG-1".

For the past ratings for previous seasons you don't know if you were seeing a Friday rating or a Monday rating either. So, there's no way to come to the conclusions you have come to from the information you have.

As for the "syndie price", there is no syndie price. The show is distributed on a barter basis. The stations don't pay anything and never have.

One thing that is true is that SciFi programs based on the ratings. They pulled Atlantis fast based on poor ratings performance. If SG-1's Season 9 ratings were doing that badly, they'd put something else on that could do better.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                            You haven't been watching the ratings returns for S9 reruns. The way they do their top ten list, they list only the highest rated episode of a series if that series is on more than once a week. Thus, we don't know if the rating shown for Stargate SG-1 is the Friday rating, one of the Monday ratings, or one of the stripped 6PM ratings. We don't know if one airing got that rating or several did. They just label it "Stargate SG-1" not "Friday's Stargate SG-1".

For the past ratings for previous seasons you don't know if you were seeing a Friday rating or a Monday rating either. So, there's no way to come to the conclusions you have come to from the information you have.
                            That just further proves bink's point, you know. If Stargate SG-1 only appears in Sci Fi's top ten ONCE, and it's a toss up between Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (old Stargate) and Friday nights (new Stargate), that just goes to show ya that the odds of a six-year-old episode - on its umpteenth airing - making it into the top ten are about as good as a rerun of brand!new!sg-1 eps.

I don't quite see how that's proving anything different than what bink was saying. It certainly isn't good for season nine. In fact, it's very telling.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant

As for the "syndie price", there is no syndie price. The show is distributed on a barter basis. The stations don't pay anything and never have.

One thing that is true is that SciFi programs based on the ratings. They pulled Atlantis fast based on poor ratings performance. If SG-1's Season 9 ratings were doing that badly, they'd put something else on that could do better.
                              Well that would prove even worse for the S9 repeats IMO if the Monday stacks or the 6 p.m. repeats are beating the S9 repeats with sub-standard 0.9s and lower (I guess I just assumed that S9 repeats would get higher ratings than the repeats of earlier seasons that have been shown umpteen times (even if it is 0.9s and lower) - alas silly me especially when I look back at how bad S9 actually turned out to be. My assumption though does go to your point about sci-fi pulling shows that do not perform well in the ratings and if SG1 is not making the top 10 each week in S9 repeats then it would stand to reason that they would likely pull it so I guess my assumption that even though the ratings numbers are pretty low they are for S9 could still stand.

Seems I recall reading many times at how many millions and millions of dollars shows like Roseanne, Seinfeld and Friends, etc., garnered in syndication. Seems like big bucks pass through someones hands when it comes to syndication.

Comment

Well that would prove even worse for the S9 repeats IMO if the Monday stacks or the 6 p.m. repeats are beating the S9 repeats with sub-standard 0.9s and lower (I guess I just assumed that S9 repeats would get higher ratings than the repeats of earlier seasons that have been shown umpteen times (even if it is 0.9s and lower) - alas silly me especially when I look back at how bad S9 actually turned out to be. My assumption though does go to your point about sci-fi pulling shows that do not perform well in the ratings and if SG1 is not making the top 10 each week in S9 repeats then it would stand to reason that they would likely pull it so I guess my assumption that even though the ratings numbers are pretty low they are for S9 could still stand.

Seems I recall reading many times at how many millions and millions of dollars shows like Roseanne, Seinfeld and Friends, etc., garnered in syndication. Seems like big bucks pass through someones hands when it comes to syndication.
                                I do not know to much about this but IMO they will air S9 reruns even with less than stellar ratings as they gear up for S10.
                                Plus there have been many Fridays with no SG S9.

Comment

Working...
                                X