No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which character could you see saying how much everything ROXER!! even when the film is obviously crud?

Actually, don't answer that. Stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      It's a double ploy: It forces fans of the characters to tune in to Atlantis, and it forces Atlantis fans to put up with this SG-1 crap on THEIR show.

Everyone gets royally fracked over. Again. How unsurprising.
      I admit I'm not a huge Atlantis fan. My kid is and I watch through osmosis most friday nights. I'm sure it's a good show, but I just wasn't interested in getting all wrapped up in another show when Atlantis came on the scene. But you know they pulled me in, hook, line and sinker with LFP simply because I knew Amanda would be guest staring on the show and I sat through the entire episode for that 5sec guest appearance.

It really bothers me that they are doing it again this season with RDA, MS and possibly AT.
      And more than likely, being the shmuck that I am, I will tune in to see them.
      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 28 April 2006, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        which just goes to further 'prove' that jack's return is nothing more than a ratings stunt and that they don't care about the show

and if the general feeling that s10 has already been stated to be 'it'....going by brad's comments in his interview you COULD interpret it to mean that they nkow the show is over, then they're gonna just let SG slide and turn their attention to atlantis.

and moving, even temporarily, sam and jack to atlantis will boost its ratings.

it is very possible that Stargate has alredy been cancellled, so there's nothing they can do about or for it now but just ride it out. but atlantis' fate could still be up in the air so it makes sense for them to work on what can be saved rather than wasting effort on the 'walking dead'
        That is exactly what I thought as I read the news regarding RDA. That actually means he is really in only one SG1 episode as one of the remaining two is the 200th which I do not think counts as a whole in regards to S10s story arc.

For the record--I think we will soon hear news that Stargate has been cancelled. What remains to be seen is if we see all of S10 run.

" If anyone can screw up Jack's return, it's these guys.... It's like leaving it in the hands of the Three Stooges."

That is an insult to the 3 stooges! LOL I am sure they would have done better than the knotheads we have now!
        Last edited by kazzyk; 29 April 2006, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SimilarCadence
          I certainly agree with you there. It wouldn't surprise me at all if TPTB went out of their way to make sure the Original Four had very few scenes together. Their chemistry would outshine that of the newbies at SGC.

Look what happened with Ripple Effect: Sam and Janet had minimal scenes together despite the fact that their close friendship was an ongoing theme throughout seasons 1-7. Those two had great chemistry together but it wasn't allowed to surface thanks to the writing in RE. TPTB's mission seems to be to wipe out all memories of pre-season 9 camaraderie and chemistry so that season 9 (and 10) won't be held up for comparison. Of course, that hasn't worked. The difference between pre-season 9 and post-season 8 is painfully obvious.
          I would say that TPTB were making a conscious effort to downplay everything about the first eight seasons in Season Nine and that there is a better than fair chance that they will continue to do so in Season Ten.

Aside from 'Avalon, Part 1', how many references were there to Sam having led SG-1 before her extremely convenient departure to Area 51? This is something that, at the very least, should have come up in 'Beachhead' and in whatever episode that Cam was skipping around passing out SG-1 patches.

Why didn't it? Perhaps because it might have led some of the new fans, and not just the ones who followed Ben Browder to the show, to question why Mitchell should be in charge?

Jack was barely mentioned. I don't remember any references to Sam, Daniel and Teal'c meeting up with him, or even having much communication with him at any point, though it was made clear that they socialize with Mitchell outside of the SGC. Apparently, when Jack left the SGC, his team and the people who had been his friends for eight years forgot all about him.

Why? Could it be because TPTB didn't want to remind people of the beautiful friendship and deep bonds between a group of characters that didn't include Mitchell?

Originally posted by SimilarCadence
          I'll be very happy to see Jack again, but I have a certain amount of uneasiness due to the substandard writing of this past season. If anyone can screw up Jack's return, it's these guys.... It's like leaving it in the hands of the Three Stooges.
          Perhaps they should ask a group of kindergarten kids to write for the show.

They could hardly do worse.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            I would say that TPTB were making a conscious effort to downplay everything about the first eight seasons in Season Nine and that there is a better than fair chance that they will continue to do so in Season Ten.

Aside from 'Avalon, Part 1', how many references were there to Sam having led SG-1 before her extremely convenient departure to Area 51? This is something that, at the very least, should have come up in 'Beachhead' and in whatever episode that Cam was skipping around passing out SG-1 patches.

Why didn't it? Perhaps because it might have led some of the new fans, and not just the ones who followed Ben Browder to the show, to question why Mitchell should be in charge?

Jack was barely mentioned. I don't remember any references to Sam, Daniel and Teal'c meeting up with him, or even having much communication with him at any point, though it was made clear that they socialize with Mitchell outside of the SGC. Apparently, when Jack left the SGC, his team and the people who had been his friends for eight years forgot all about him.

Why? Could it be because TPTB didn't want to remind people of the beautiful friendship and deep bonds between a group of characters that didn't include Mitchell?
            i know some new "fans" that could care less that Jack even existed. they don't know who he is, they think sam is pointless (which i completely agree with this season and which makes me INSANE), and all they care about is cam. they've seen at the most 6 episodes from before s9, and declare it sucks. (i'm starting to think TPTB fit into this category)
            then u have the REAL fans, that sit down and watch all of farscape! (ok, i didn't do that. and u probably couldn't pay me to, but that's not the point.)
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
              i know some new "fans" that could care less that Jack even existed. they don't know who he is, they think sam is pointless (which i completely agree with this season and which makes me INSANE), and all they care about is cam. they've seen at the most 6 episodes from before s9, and declare it sucks. (i'm starting to think TPTB fit into this category)
              then u have the REAL fans, that sit down and watch all of farscape! (ok, i didn't do that. and u probably couldn't pay me to, but that's not the point.)
              Wanting to bring in new viewers by bringing in new actors with established fan bases wasn't necessarily a bad idea, and obviously there would have to be some changes, but TPTB made a huge, show-killing mistake when they decided to disregard virtually everything about the first eight seasons, including the established characters so that they could remould the show to accomodate their vision for their new characters.

I'm sure that most, if not all of the new viewers who are Ben Browder's fans would still have watched the show even if he had been Major Mitchell and if less of the attention had been focused on him and I'm sure that the same would have been true of the fans Claudia Black brought to the show if Vala had been toned down.

Bringing in new viewers is great, but not if the changes you make to do so lead to you losing even more of the viewers you already have.

Comment

exactly. it's not THAT they brought folks in, it's HOW they brought them in.

the poor writing, uneven characterizations and cheesy plots have only exacerbated the situation
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  probably. it'll be from martin's pov i'm guessing

martin describing his upcoming movie to sg-1, clips of what really happened possibly interspersed with images of how the movie was going to 'rewrite' history

imagine this

yeah, in this episode danning grabs monroe and does this

jack going : umm, danning would neve do that. he's an af officer, y adda, ,yadda

anyone wanna take bets that they'll have the sg1 folks nitpicking martin's movie to pieces as a mockery of the fans that nitpick the show????
                  There is one thing I am absolutely sure of for the WX2 crapfest - it WILL, no doubt in my mind, MOCK those fans that have been critical - let's just hope that those fans who are watching that are part of the MOCKERY will make their criticisms heard as the ratings continue to drop. Don't get me wrong - I do not wish ill or unemployment for most of the peeps there but because TPRTS continue to react in such a vile way to the criticisms of fans and continue their arrogance towards the fans and continue to mock those that criticize (as oposed to being gracious about it like JJ Abrama, Bochco and others who are much, much bigger in the world of NETWORK TV) I hope they get their comepuppance and when the show is cancelled and TPRTS are looking around with that blank-deer-in-the-headlights-experession, pulling their heads out of their a$$es and saying "huh - what happened - it was such a GREAT season" and then blaming everything and everyone but themselves (where the blame truly lies) I will be the one laughing up my sleeve and laying blame exactly where it belongs - at the feet of cooper and his merry band of lemmings.
                  Last edited by binkpmmc; 03 May 2006, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Jack was barely mentioned. I don't remember any references to Sam, Daniel and Teal'c meeting up with him, or even having much communication with him at any point, though it was made clear that they socialize with Mitchell outside of the SGC. Apparently, when Jack left the SGC, his team and the people who had been his friends for eight years forgot all about him..
                    Great post - I snipped it as this one statement caugh my attention.

He was barely mentioned and seems to have been forgotten by 3 of what are probably his best friends but NOW, NOW that things are the crapfest they are and the ratings are eroding they NEED him (as much as that is probably KILLING cooper) so now he's the talk of the town and the big name and the STAR returned to save his show - I don't think it will work - it's to transparent - too desperate, and to waste him in a farce of an ep and then only one additional SG1 I doubt it will pull any fans who left back (at least not for more than the 2 eps he'll be in) and I doubt it will bring in any new fans - I see the erosion cntinuing and I pretty much have written the show off as I really believe S10 is it. I just hope they give the BIG 3 and the show some dignity back before the last ep. What really bothers me about how they are behaving and dealing with this whole RDA thing and S9's debacle is that they are still treating the fans as if they are stupid. These guys will never get it because thier egos are just too big - it's time they get taken down a notch.

Comment

well i honestly felt that they were rewritting the shows history-by backing off on mentions of jack-really they didn't even tell what happened to him and they were gonna do a jack who? for season 10. sure RDA is a ratings stunt-they bit the hand that fed them-and lucky he was gracious enough to come back and help them out-why? I have no idea-but i sure would have liked to be have been a fly on the wall during their conversations.
                      Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

I find it interesting how at the beginning of S9 they almost giddy and talking of seasons to come as endless possibilities and now TPTB speak of S10 as being all gravy dont you know.

When does sci-fi announce their renewals or cancellations?

Check out this article from last week.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/267484_tv21.html

A sneak peek,

"With all that going for it, however, "SG-1" remains relegated to the back of the bus in terms of popularity. Occupying a slot on "best show" lists is a rarity. That glory usually goes to "Battlestar Galactica," which is heading into its third season and already has snagged a Peabody Award."
                        Last edited by kazzyk; 30 April 2006, 05:46 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                          Great post - I snipped it as this one statement caugh my attention.

He was barely mentioned and seems to have been forgotten by 3 of what are probably his best friends but NOW, NOW that things are the crapfest they are and the ratings are eroding they NEED him (as much as that is probably KILLING cooper) so now he's the talk of the town and the big name and the STAR returned to save his show - I don't think it will work - it's to transparent - too desperate, and to waste him in a farce of an ep and then only one additional SG1 I doubt it will pull any fans who left back (at least not for more than the 2 eps he'll be in) and I doubt it will bring in any new fans - I see the erosion cntinuing and I pretty much have written the show off as I really believe S10 is it. I just hope they give the BIG 3 and the show some dignity back before the last ep. What really bothers me about how they are behaving and dealing with this whole RDA thing and S9's debacle is that they are still treating the fans as if they are stupid. These guys will never get it because thier egos are just too big - it's time they get taken down a notch.
                          I think that unless TPTB actually make an effort to recognize and correct the mistakes they made last season, particularly as far as their virtual ignoring of Sam, Daniel and Teal'c's characters in favour of constantly spotlighting Mitchell and Vala goes - which will happen a few weeks after never - Jack's return will, at best, give the ratings a temporary boost.

It could also backfire, if viewers see the difference between the well written, well thought out character that is Jack O'Neill and the poorly written Marty Stu TPTB have been trying to pass off as an acceptable leader for SG-1, it will highlight how the quality of the show has declined.

Comment

It could also backfire, if viewers see the difference between the well written, well thought out character that is Jack O'Neill and the poorly written Marty Stu TPTB have been trying to pass off as an acceptable leader for SG-1, it will highlight how the quality of the show has declined.
                            You assume of course that Jack's part in Season 10 will be well-written or thought out.
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                              You assume of course that Jack's part in Season 10 will be well-written or thought out.
                              don't be silly. who would think that?

that's what adlibs are for.
                              sigpic
                              "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                              Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

don't be silly. who would think that?

that's what adlibs are for.
                                Yep. How mant times has someone said that Rick refused to do something so they had to change it. Hope they still respect him even though he's not an Executive Produce any more.

Suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X