No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that season 8 was mishandled but I think putting Sam command of SG-1 was a mistake because that was not her role on the team in the first place if Sam was just a military character I would feel differently but she is a scientist and all through out the series what her passion was her science and her projects that's why I feel area 51 was a natural progression for the character and she was in command there that is a big deal for women in world of Science believe me as someone who has family in the world of science female family it is a huge deal. I realize it is not as sexy as SG-1 commander but it shouldn't be down played like you say.

At a con - one of the ones in Vancouver - N John Smith said that they treated Amanda as the lead when RDA wasn't there. IIRC, RDA was there 3.5 days a week with all of every 4th week off. So they knew she could handle it. I really do wonder what would have happened if that huge change hadn't happened at the same time of Olivia's birth.

As for Ben Browder being such a star - in Real Life why did I have to explain to so many people exactly who he was and what he had been in before? And this was to SF peeps.

Frankly I wouldn't have minded if Ben had come on as the second. I wouldn't ahve cared if he was billed as the star, though I don;t see how he would have more experience than Amanda - she was female lead for 8 years, he lead for 3.5. Both shows were on cable all the time.

Oh well.
    He may have said that but that is not how they wrote her IMHO both her and Daniel/MS were equals in terms of attention and screen time I think because of this dynamic that's why they had to bring some one else in why they had to bring in a new lead. I realize some of you have animosity toward Michael Shanks and I know some Daniel fans have animosity toward Amanda Tapping.

I think I read an interview once Chris Judge said it was RDA and 3 other people and he was right and I remember reading an interview with RDA in TV guide I think it was when the show first started the reason I had the TV Guide was because Babylon 5 was on the cover and they only had pictures of RDA and a few Jaffa and he didn't even mention his co-stars.

Just because she was the only girl doesn't mean she was a lead Janet was a recurring so she doesn't count in the discussion.
    Last edited by poundpuppy29; 09 April 2012, 10:14 AM.
    sigpic
    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I have to disagree with you because if anything, Sam is military to the core. I definitely think the military comes first for her, otherwise she could have easily resigned and worked at the SGC (and probably even SG-1) as a civilian like Daniel and make a hell of a lot more money. She was a military brat who joined the USAF herself, not to mention she told Dr Carter she couldn't imagine not being military.

Personally I don't know any "Sam fans" who have an animosity towards Daniel, so far I've only encountered a few "Daniel fans" who seem to have an animosity towards Sam here on GW, but overall I don't think there are that many left these days. Of course I could be mistaken. Either way, I really don't see how that has anything to do with whether or not Sam is capable of commanding SG-1.

From what I've read about interviews it seems like everyone from the cast except Amanda Tapping turned on RDA once he was gone, which in my opinion is very unprofessional. And the few things I have read from CJ or even MS I don't particularly enjoy, so I tend not to read those things. After all, for me it's about the show not the actors themselves and I've never really been all that interested in behind the scenes stuff (usually takes the "magic" of a show out of it for me). However, I do think there are certain things that won't be asked, discussed or included in interviews and that can give a distorted view about an actor. Anyway, unlike CJ, MS and all the others working on Stargate post RDA, RDA has never said anything negatively about the show or the other actors, which to me is a lot more professional.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
        I agree that season 8 was mishandled but I think putting Sam command of SG-1 was a mistake because that was not her role on the team in the first place if Sam was just a military character I would feel differently but she is a scientist and all through out the series what her passion was her science and her projects that's why I feel area 51 was a natural progression for the character and she was in command there that is a big deal for women in world of Science believe me as someone who has family in the world of science female family it is a huge deal. I realize it is not as sexy as SG-1 commander but it shouldn't be down played like you say.

He may have said that but that is not how they wrote her IMHO both her and Daniel/MS were equals in terms of attention and screen time I think because of this dynamic that's why they had to bring some one else in why they had to bring in a new lead. I realize some of you have animosity toward Michael Shanks and I know some Daniel fans have animosity toward Amanda Tapping.

I think I read an interview once Chris Judge said it was RDA and 3 other people and he was right and I remember reading an interview with RDA in TV guide I think it was when the show first started the reason I had the TV Guide was because Babylon 5 was on the cover and they only had pictures of RDA and a few Jaffa and he didn't even mention his co-stars.

Just because she was the only girl doesn't mean she was a lead Janet was a recurring so she doesn't count in the discussion.
        Your post would be much easier to read if you used puncuation marks to separate actual sentences. Instead, each paragraph you have here is one long run together sentence that takes a bit to understand. Aside from those at the end of the paragraphs, there are only about two other periods throughout your post.

Comment

Personally I don't know any "Sam fans" who have an animosity towards Daniel, so far I've only encountered a few "Daniel fans" who seem to have an animosity towards Sam here on GW, but overall I don't think there are that many left these days. Of course I could be mistaken. Either way, I really don't see how that has anything to do with whether or not Sam is capable of commanding SG-1.

From what I've read about interviews it seems like everyone from the cast except Amanda Tapping turned on RDA once he was gone, which in my opinion is very unprofessional. And the few things I have read from CJ or even MS I don't particularly enjoy, so I tend not to read those things. After all, for me it's about the show not the actors themselves and I've never really been all that interested in behind the scenes stuff (usually takes the "magic" of a show out of it for me). However, I do think there are certain things that won't be asked, discussed or included in interviews and that can give a distorted view about an actor. Anyway, unlike CJ, MS and all the others working on Stargate post RDA, RDA has never said anything negatively about the show or the other actors, which to me is a lot more professional.
          They exist believe me I have had run-ins with them on this board.

I like Sam I thought she was a good role model but it always seemed to me that her science and her projects were her passion what she was always working on that's why I couldn't see her leading SG-1.

I never heard any bad things said about RDA I came into the fandom late 2006 and I never read anything bad said about him I don't think they all turned on him at all if anything they all said how much they liked him and liked working with him.
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I never heard any bad things said about RDA I came into the fandom late 2006 and I never read anything bad said about him I don't think they all turned on him at all if anything they all said how much they liked him and liked working with him.
            I'm in agreement with fems. I read things said by CJ and MS that weren't all that complimentary to RDA when he left the show. However, it was more some of the producers that were being overly negative about RDA than the actors.

Comment

Well I know they all are friends I found an article that was on this site about MS comments about RDA

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/3...Michael-Shanks

TG: "That's seriously cool. Now, because, as you say, season nine kind of defined a new tone for the show, as has season ten, what's been the biggest change for you, seeing it from day one all the way through?"

MS: "I think, I mean…we…I just think the difference of having Richard
              [Dean Anderson] here, he was such a presence and always has been such
              a presence on the show, having the LACK of him, was something that we
              had to really had to overcome."

"His sense of humor and the way he goes about his work everyday is something that we had to adjust not having. It was always a prevailing attitude around here of, 'Well, you know, we can always fall back on the big guy.' If something's not working, he'd go find a way to make it more interesting than it was and whatever. And we didn't have that, and it was up to us. And that was part of the wonderful challenge for us, was to sort of overcome the missing link. And as much as season nine was a different show
              than the previous eight [seasons], we appreciated the difference."

"It's not the same without Richard, but we wouldn't want it to be. We
              wouldn't want to try duplicating his chemistry, or try to rehash any of the same dynamics that we had that were so unique, and they deserve a special place in the show's history. So having characters that didn't come in to try and replace anybody, that just came in to do a job and find their role and voice on the show. It's on ongoing challenge everyday. Having Richard back [as a guest star] allows us to fall into those old habits, and it's fun to have him around, but we've got to carry on with business as usual for the rest of season nine and season ten."
              I think MS respected him
              sigpic

Comment

Well I know they all are friends I found an article that was on this site about MS comments about RDA

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/3...Michael-Shanks

I think MS respected him
                i'm sure MS and CJ both respect RDA very much. It doesn't mean neither of them ever said a harsh word about him. And one interview with MS saying how much he respects RDA doesn't negate anything else he may have said at other times. In fact, a single interview doesn't prove a thing.

I'm quite sure you have said some negative things about friends of yours at times. Nobody is exempt from such things, and I don't believe for an instant that MS or CJ were completely complimentary about every single second of their time on SG1. As a matter of fact (and at the risk of getting slammed by certain people) MS was quite vocal at times about how he felt about some of the individuals on the show. When he came back from his year off, he was a lot less vocal about anything negative.

And I have no doubt these people are all still friends. Again, it doesn't mean that a mean word never left their mouths about things to do with SG1.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I've never heard a single negative thing from or about Amanda Tapping. It would probably be pretty hard to find such a thing, but it's likely out there from somebody she worked with.

Comment

Oh I'm quite sure it wasn't all sparkly, shiny, happy families where they all danced with daisies and sunshine on the set 100% of the time!.......No-one loves each other like that, not even those "blissfully married" couples who claim to never have said a bad word about each other... ...I love my husband and have for 30 years but sometimes he drives me to distraction and there are many a word I've let slip about him that is far less than complimentary!..

I'm quite happy with what RDA said to me personally at Chevron 7.6, about how much of a pleasure it always was to work with Michael because of his pace and quick wit and how easy it was to work with him and that he said, and I quote from the *ahem* "horse's mouth" , "They didn't write enough for us", I'm happy that any differences they might have had probably didn't do anything to disturb their working relationship or affect their outside-of-work friendship too much....

In fact, going back on topic I'd say that's one of my main "critiques" of S.10...they certainly did NOT write enough for Jack and Daniel.....I'd have liked more of The Shroud please - but it could have gone much darker and lasted longer for me.....and I really feel that SGA got more of RDA than was fair....SG-1 should have had him instead of at least 1 of those SGA episodes imho...

Oh yes, and I could have easily done without that dreadful episode where Teal'c goes "Rambo" and kills the only Cockney Jaffa in the Universe or that awful one with the man who played Vala's father... *shudders*.....get rid of those two and add more RDA and I'd have been a completely satisfied S.10 bunny!..

Deeds xx
                  Last edited by discodiva; 09 April 2012, 12:13 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                  MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

This is getting derailed I don't think Cam was a bad character I don't think he stole anything from Sam. Sam left SG-1 of her own free will, once she left they filled the position with Cam they weren't going to demote Cam just cause Sam decided to rejoin the team that doesn't make sense.
                    sigpic

Comment

This is getting derailed I don't think Cam was a bad character I don't think he stole anything from Sam. Sam left SG-1 of her own free will, once she left they filled the position with Cam they weren't going to demote Cam just cause Sam decided to rejoin the team that doesn't make sense.
                      What doesn't make sense is a pilot who has never even seen the Stargate become the leader of the flagship team over all the other more qualified SGC personnel.
                      sigpic

Comment

He obviously knew about SG-1 he flew 302s so he knew of the SG program. I don't see how he was so wrong for the job
                        sigpic

Comment

He obviously knew about SG-1 he flew 302s so he knew of the SG program. I don't see how he was so wrong for the job
                          I repeat:

What doesn't make sense is a pilot who has never even seen the Stargate become the leader of the flagship team over all the other more qualified SGC personnel.
                          sigpic

Comment

He thought he was going to be part of the team not lead it but they decided to have him lead it. He commanded a group of 302s so he had command experience.
                            sigpic

Comment

Flying 302s and being aware of the SG program does not make one qualified to be an SG team leader. The only reason he got the position was because of his activity in the battle over Antarctica. There's no reason that event should have qualified him for SG1, unless it was as a subordinate to whoever else may have been leader.

And being in charge of a group of 302s doesn't give him the appropriate experience either. We don't know how long he was in charge of that group. It chould have been simply for that mission. It could have been for a month prior to that, or maybe longer. We just don't know.

Comment

I just think you guys wouldn't accept anybody unless he was sub servant to Sam. I really think no one they brought in would please you. I think Cam was a good character because he was so different than Sam & Jack. I think it is a shame that Michael & Ben were given more time to gel they could've been gold
                                Last edited by poundpuppy29; 09 April 2012, 12:29 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X