S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    Me too, but sadly that would never have been allowed to happen.

If TPTB's determination to pimp Mitchell as the greatest hewo of all time is any indication, they would not have wanted anything less than total acceptance of his position as leader.

The last thing they would have wanted is to have a character (a) raise the question of why Sam wasn't back in command when she returned or (b) express doubts in Mitchell as a leader, for fear of putting ideas into the viewers' heads.
    which is where they messed up

human nature is, when one person is replaced by another, there is an adjustment period. there's a 'but we've always done it this way' 'but that's how he did it' etc, etc.

some adjust better than others.

but with cam it was 139% total acceptance, no disagreements, no issues, no tension...and as such it was horribly unrealistic and smacked of 'we're gonna make those fans love him'
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Daniel's birthday is July 8th. Going by '1969', he was born in 1965.

If the 'Entity' date is accurate, Sam was born on December 29th 1968. (Could have been 1969, but it looks more like an 8) She can't have been long out of the Air Force Academy when she flew in the Gulf War.

Jack was apparently born on the 20th October 1952 (which means that he was knocking five years off his age in 'Brief Candle')

Cam was ten when his father was injured and wasn't much older when he watched the space launch thing (granted, it might have been meant to be a while afterwards) so he was ten or eleven in 1981.

Edited To Add: I wonder if Cameron being so much younger than the rest of the team even though Ben Browder is actually nearly three years older than the next SG-1 actor in age to him and a full eight years older than the youngest is another way of "subtly" emphasizing how great he is, that he's managed to get to Lieutenant Colonel and to lead the team at so young an age or some such rubbish.
      I was born in December of 68 and was already out of and almost recalled to the Air Force for the Gulf War (it turned out to be so short that it was over before my report date). Of course I didnt go to the 4\6 year acadamey... but then I didnt graduate HS early either, which Carter very may well have.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I'm okay with cam

but vala! she makes the show stupid vala should be killed of the show. she really makes the show bad. and with her and cam it looks to much like farscape, even though I have nothing against it

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          Hey Bink, I am/was a huge Firefly fan, and Morena Baccarin's character was one of my favorites on the show. I know it sounds strange, but her character was actually a class act, and I thought her acting was stellar. I reacted to the news that she'd be playing Adria with mixed feelings... predominantly horror, I suppose, that she'd take such a potentially barf-inducing role. But perhaps there was a glimmer of hope in there, also, because if anyone could lift the role out of the realm of dreck, it might be her.

Suffice to say, I really, really like her.
          Well, I trust Strix's judgment, so this gives me quite a bit more hope.

I had never heard of the character either, but I definitely need to watch Firefly... I've been meaning to, but I just can't get into it in the middle. I need the first ep to establish everything for me.

Seriously, this summer, I'm making it a project of mine to catch up on Firefly and Farscape (and watch Serenity). I've heard a lot of good things about both series.

As long as people are able to separate Stargate from Firefly and Farscape (and Andromeda *shudder*), things should be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            Well, I trust Strix's judgment, so this gives me quite a bit more hope.
            Clearly you've forgotten that I was a huge Xena fan, too.

My LJ

Comment

I wouldn't get too hopeful though. You have to remember that Firefly was written by people who had the ability to juggle 8/9 characters and still have a vaguely logical plot.
              This is up against a show where the showrunner has admitted he prefers writing for 4 characters because it is easier (although there's talking the talk and walking the walk as far as S9 went).

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                Clearly you've forgotten that I was a huge Xena fan, too.
                Bahahahaha! I was totally thinking that while I was posting.

Comment

Their bright young character certainly did a bang up job of revitalizing the show. When exactly did 'revitalize' become a symonym for 'wreck'?

And I'm sure a younger demo would respond to a younger character if he or she was decently written and planned and if they were given a role that fit with being a young character - a green lieutenant or captain assigned to the flagship team.
                  I don't know if anyone mentioned this already or not, but the real sad thing about this is that if they want to hit the younger demographic they shouldn't have the show playing on a FRIDAY NIGHT. I'm just finishing up my first year in graduate school, and well I have no life because I'm always doing work or studying. But the MAJORITY of the people in college don't watch TV on FRIDAY NIGHTS. They don't watch it on Thursdays either, most of them are hanging out with their friends, going to parties, drinking and what not. They could care less about what's playing on TV.

Then there is the high school demographic which spends their free time with their friends, playing video games, and going to the movies. I don't think that the average geeky teenage boy really fits into the traditional stereotype anymore. Perhaps since things have changed since tptb went to school, they haven't realized this because they are being sheltered up in Vancouver. I have no idea how Canadian boys spend their time or for most of the parts of the country, but where I'm from, Friday night is the time to go out.

They should really target an older demographic of 30 - 45 year olds that are staying home with their little kids and watching TV once they have gone to bed. Which makes me believe that this demographic, that has little kids, won't really like the idea of the Vala baby turning into an evil brainwashed zombie. It might hit too close to home for some people.

Though I think that tptb have forgotten that a good lot of the show's fans are from the military, and watch the show closely because of that aspect. And I think that they have forgotten that a ton of women watch this show as well... it's really sad that it seems like they are alienating fan groups to bring in others.
                  Last edited by Amanda Eros; 27 April 2006, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Well, I dunno if you can rule out the 18-24 demographic, since so many advertisers care about that audience. Despite the logic of older viewers (and by older, I mean in their thirties and up) having more money, 18-24-year-olds have been targeted by advertisers and networks for many, many years.

And there's some logic in that as well. Children, teens and college students have ever-increasing wallets thanks to less-than-responsible spending habits, and a lot of help from Mommy and Daddy. I'm finishing up my second year in college now, and I'm amazed at how hard students work, yet how incredibly willing they are to spend their earnings, myself included. It must be cathartic or something.

I still think that other viewers are being overlooked in this equation, but young'ns, so to speak, have been a major cash cow for various forms of media - television, film, magazines, music - for years. And it seems like that's still a huge thing even now, with the technology/media age continuing to boom the way that it has.

As for going out on Thursday and Friday, the explosion of TiVo and DVRs has it completely covered, which is why it's a good thing Nielsen is constantly looking into measuring that data (though it's a little disturbing, I must admit).

You'd think that analysts would be able to find a happy medium somewhere, though. You'd think they'd figure out how to target all demographics, instead of marginalizing everyone into categories - especially when it seems like more young people are watching "older" shows like the CSIs and L&Os, and more 30+ viewers are watching "younger" shows like Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, The O.C.. Somehow, everyone's balanced it out, and the advertising and targeting needs to reflect that.

Comment

Amanda Eros I have to agree with you. Even in my era, Friday nights were a time when you went on dates, hung around with you friends, and whatnot.
                      And that's when I was in High School.

When I went to college/uni, I was way too busy with assignments, trying to have a life outside that. And even after that, your busy trying to find a job that majored in.

So, if TPTB are trying to find a target in the above mentioned they have failed. (At least in S9)

Comment

Right. So, apparently RDA agreed to return for five episodes, and in their infinite wisdom, TIIC deigned to send him to Atlantis for three of them. I cannot fathom what on Earth they're thinking at Bridge these days. Just when I thought I couldn't be any more disillusioned with the show, this crap decision comes out. Obviously they're worried about Atlantis, but this is just wrong on so many levels it's not funny. Meh, I'm disgusted.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                          Right. So, apparently RDA agreed to return for five episodes, and in their infinite wisdom, TIIC deigned to send him to Atlantis for three of them. I cannot fathom what on Earth they're thinking at Bridge these days. Just when I thought I couldn't be any more disillusioned with the show, this crap decision comes out. Obviously they're worried about Atlantis, but this is just wrong on so many levels it's not funny. Meh, I'm disgusted.
                          I'm apparently following you around here. Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. Disgust doesn't even begin to describe it.

Whateva. One more nail in the coffin.

Comment

WHAT!!!! You have got to be kidding! One, maybe. But three?? Guess they don't want people comparing O'Neill and Mitchell. Sorry, too late there. Mitchell loses.

Suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

They should be worried about Atlantis. Were I them, I would switch SG-1s and Atlantis's times. All they are getting from me is "I'm so annoyed I can't even watch tv right now" and me stopping the tape - then not bothering to hit play again.

Suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                                They should be worried about Atlantis. Were I them, I would switch SG-1s and Atlantis's times. All they are getting from me is "I'm so annoyed I can't even watch tv right now" and me stopping the tape - then not bothering to hit play again.

Suse
                                I agree.

This is actually good news for me as I do happen to like Jack but hate the current SG-1 and will not watch that crp. My fear is that Marysue and sluttysue will make their way over to Atlantis too. Or that TPTB will focus so much on the displaced SG-1 people as to ruin the Atlantis characters. Or use the Atlantis characters to make the displaced SG-1 charcters look bad... both of which are bad options.Ofcourse there is always the possibility that TPTB will continue with their Kirkification and just ruin Atlantis like they did SG-1 anyway.

I may miss a great deal of atlantis for the same reason you will. I will be on another channel when it comes on and if its a movie or a sporting event Atlantis alone will not be enough to pull me over. SG-1 was what got me in at 8 and kept me until 2 as I never liked BSG but just watched it because it was there with my beloved SG-1 and its baby sister Atlantis. Now the only thing I am slightly interested in is Atlantis and thats at 9 and 12... The 12 is out by default so that leaves only 9 and that may be too much of a pain to get too... I can just wait for those DVDs... I know I will have the money for them since I have money saved from not bying anymore SG-1 DVDs or any other stargate related crp with the suies on it.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X