S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arga View Post
    Today, I received what was my hardest ebay purchase...
    The second season of Stargate Command, (or SG1 season 10 as the editor wrote on the packaging).

Yes, I didn't like this season, but I still bought it on DVD. It was hard, but I had to, because I've been collecting these special editions made in France, from season 1 of SG-1, where the boxset has the shape of a stargate.
    photo:
    Spoiler:

It would have been too bad if I had 9 boxsets and not the 10th.
    I delayed the purchased, to get it at a lower price, but they didn't have it anymore in any shops! (they had the standard rectangular boxset). So my last hope was ebay, and I found one, starting from 1 euro, I "won" and paid 40 euros it total..

I need to recover from the trauma now... Just had to share with you guys...
    It's okay, you don't actually have to watch it just because you own it. No need to add insult to injury.

Comment

Cute box. Well some of the episodes are ok... or parts of episodes...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        Cute box. Well some of the episodes are ok... or parts of episodes...
        ok, some have moments where it doesn't suck so much.
        Maybe this will give me a chance to rewatch them, with the audio commentaries on, if they're bearable to hear.

Has anyone viewed those episodes with the commentaries?

Comment

Maybe this will give me a chance to rewatch them, with the audio commentaries on, if they're bearable to hear.

Yes, but not in a while. I had to turn off the RCC ones. shudder.

Comment

Yes, but not in a while. I had to turn off the RCC ones. shudder.
            That bolded sentence : it was exactely what I was afraid of!

Comment

I haven't listened to the commentaries, but I enjoyed reading transcripts of the LITS, Road Not Taken, and Unending ones with AT. She seemed so sad about the Asgard dying in Unending.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                I haven't listened to the commentaries, but I enjoyed reading transcripts of the LITS, Road Not Taken, and Unending ones with AT. She seemed so sad about the Asgard dying in Unending.
                She's not the only one

I guess they had to come up with some ridiculous reason to give the SGC ALL THE WEAPONS AND TECH THEY COULD EVER WANT, without working for it

*still makes me shake my head at the things they did in S9 and 10*

And no, I haven't bought s9 or 10 DVD's, nor would I ever want to
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I have given up being completist (if that's a word... ) quite a few years ago, when the Trek books took a nosedive in quality.

There's no way I'd give TPTB money for S9/S10. No way.

I'm glad you got the type of box you wanted though. Seriously. One day I do want to see some of the commentaries, but even though it's years later I don't want to get mad again. Not good for the blood pressure.

Poor guys. They tried so hard (and think they succeeded). Sure the production values such as sets, stunts and effects stayed high (with some rather painful departures), but for me, most of the grand writing/plot ideas were FAIL.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                    It's okay, you don't actually have to watch it just because you own it. No need to add insult to injury.
                    I own them all. I only re-watch the episodes Jack is in from Season's 9 and 10. LOL!
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      the broader a show's focus, the broader its appeal.

i feel, why was SG1 so popular for years? there were sam stories, and jack stories and daniel stories and teal'c stories, and jack/daniel friendship, jack/sam friendship, sam/teal'c friendship, sam/daniel friendship...there were character stories, adventure stories, jaffa stories, tok'ra stories, goa'uld stories, earth stories....there was a smattering of everything during the course of a season.

and every character/actor got thier moment in the sun.

the show had a broad focus and it enabled fans to pull from it different bits and pieces over the course of 22 episodes.

but, by the time we got to s10, by and large, the show was The Adventures of Action Jackson, his sidekick and comic relief Vala with the backup singers of Cam, Sam and Teal'c.

If you loved the Vala/Daniel dynamic, you had it made. if you didn't....well there might be 1-2 episodes in there focused on something else.

I drew a parallel between Stargate production and Gateworld moderation..
                      about merging or not individual threads to the main general episode threads.
                      I think if Skydiver was a mod in the Stargate production, the show "Stargate Command" wouldn't have been merged to the show "Stargate SG-1" !

Comment

I see "Ark of Truth" is on today. Sort of the last episode of S9&10. I won't be watching.

Comment

There is a season 9 and 10? Damn.
                          Signed,

Gregorius
                          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                            There is a season 9 and 10? Damn.

Nope, though the did make a show called Stargate Command. It lasted 2 seasons before they pulled the plug. They ignored a lot of canon to make it work. Not worth watching.

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I'm watching S10 for another thread, glutton for punishment that I am.
                              Just watched Morpheus. Another one that isn't bad in concept, but kind of so-so in the final result.

Comment

I'm watching S10 for another thread, glutton for punishment that I am.
                                Just watched Morpheus. Another one that isn't bad in concept, but kind of so-so in the final result.
                                It seems like a lot of S10 (and S9) were like that, interesting concepts that lacked good execution. Like in Morpheus, Vala having to prove she's fit to be a member of the SGC could have been interesting, but it was played for laughs instead.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X