S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    I think she's stunningly beautiful. And that could be their main focus...
    COULD be??

JUst real quick on the issue of equating the previous role she played with vala's role - I did not really think of it that way, vala never really came to mind (she trneds not to come to mind as she is meaningless in the land of Stargate except that she's like that little gnat you have to keep swatting until until you finaly get the opportunity to squash it) - mine was more a reaction that oh well - she's played a prostitute before (and I understand from others who have seen it that is was respectful and dignified but I doubt we will see that for this character in SG1 with these PRTS) so of course they wanted her, because in my opinion, they want to play up her assets.
    Last edited by binkpmmc; 03 May 2006, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantisrocks
      I say we send TPTB to Antarctica in one of Vala's outfits.
      It can be a day trip (granted, one that they will hopefully never return from)

Vala and Mitchell will go, plus TPTB 'cause they'll be sad without Vala.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
        Does anyone know how old Mitchell is in comparison to Sam and the rest of the gang? I know Teal'c is like ninety, but I'm not sure about everyone else.
        teal'c was going to turn 102 47 days after 'the light' which was in s4 so he's 108 -109 about now

daniel was 4 1/2 in 1969 - do the math

jack was '40' in brief candle, yet was shown to be born in 1952 on his id card in fragile balance

sam, well we know that she flew in the gulf war, which was 91 and she had to be early 20's then, so again do the math

Cam, someone already kinda did the math on that one and have him as YOUNGER than sam. which, in one way, does make sense since it's a brutal reality that females have to work harder than males to recive the same promotions and such, thus, unfortunately, it makes sense that sam, even though she's tons more smart and 'better' than cam is also older than him and in the same rank as him

sexism prevails and persists
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
          It can be a day trip (granted, one that they will hopefully never return from)

Vala and Mitchell will go, plus TPTB 'cause they'll be sad without Vala.
          how about a 3 hour tour?????

vala can be ginger since her wardrobe is the largest on the show and cam can be mary ann

sigpic

Comment

*MPH giggle her
            Spoiler:
            ASS
            ets?
            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              teal'c was going to turn 102 47 days after 'the light' which was in s4 so he's 108 -109 about now

daniel was 4 1/2 in 1969 - do the math

jack was '40' in brief candle, yet was shown to be born in 1952 on his id card in fragile balance

sam, well we know that she flew in the gulf war, which was 91 and she had to be early 20's then, so again do the math

Cam, someone already kinda did the math on that one and have him as YOUNGER than sam. which, in one way, does make sense since it's a brutal reality that females have to work harder than males to recive the same promotions and such, thus, unfortunately, it makes sense that sam, even though she's tons more smart and 'better' than cam is also older than him and in the same rank as him

sexism prevails and persists
              Daniel's birthday is July 8th. Going by '1969', he was born in 1965.

If the 'Entity' date is accurate, Sam was born on December 29th 1968. (Could have been 1969, but it looks more like an 8) She can't have been long out of the Air Force Academy when she flew in the Gulf War.

Jack was apparently born on the 20th October 1952 (which means that he was knocking five years off his age in 'Brief Candle')

Cam was ten when his father was injured and wasn't much older when he watched the space launch thing (granted, it might have been meant to be a while afterwards) so he was ten or eleven in 1981.

Edited To Add: I wonder if Cameron being so much younger than the rest of the team even though Ben Browder is actually nearly three years older than the next SG-1 actor in age to him and a full eight years older than the youngest is another way of "subtly" emphasizing how great he is, that he's managed to get to Lieutenant Colonel and to lead the team at so young an age or some such rubbish.
              Last edited by ReganX; 27 April 2006, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                COULD be??

JUst real quick on the issue of equating the previous role she played with vala's role - I did not really think of it that way, vala never really came to mind (she trneds not to come to mind as she is meaningless in the land of Stargate except that she's like that little gnat you have to keep swatting until until you finaly get the opportunity to squash it) - mine was more a reaction that oh well - she's played a prostitute before (and I understand from others who have seen it that is was respectful and dignified but I doubt we will see that for this character in SG1 with these IIC) so of course they wanted her, because in my opinion, they want to play up her assets.
                I so wanted to green you-but since i have to spread the love-...
                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  While I'm happy for you, Lexx, and happy for her, personally I tend to get iffy when my favorite actors appear in something that is absolute dreck. Yes, I love to see them working and getting paid and I know that not every role can be perfect... but I'd still prefer to see them in something I can actually stomach watching- and roles where I can feel confidence that they'll be using their acting abilities as opposed to being there just to look hot and spout trite lines.

I love certain actors, but I still draw the line at what I'm willing to watch just to see them.
                  I agree!

Comment

Edited To Add: I wonder if Cameron being so much younger than the rest of the team even though Ben Browder is actually nearly three years older than the next SG-1 actor in age to him and a full eight years older than the youngest is another way of "subtly" emphasizing how great he is, that he's managed to get to Lieutenant Colonel and to lead the team at so young an age or some such rubbish.
                    i'm thinking it's more along the line of the idiots at skiffy declaring that they must have a 'bright YOUNG star/character to revitalize the tired old show and lead the way to getting rid of those tired old characters/actors

and someone probably read research somewhere that suggested that a younger demo would gravitate towards a younger character...then made thier 'male lead must be the boss' and didn't realize that the two edicts were contradictory

sigpic

Comment

i'm thinking it's more along the line of the idiots at skiffy declaring that they must have a 'bright YOUNG star/character to revitalize the tired old show and lead the way to getting rid of those tired old characters/actors
                      Their bright young character certainly did a bang up job of revitalizing the show. When exactly did 'revitalize' become a symonym for 'wreck'?

and someone probably read research somewhere that suggested that a younger demo would gravitate towards a younger character...then made thier 'male lead must be the boss' and didn't realize that the two edicts were contradictory
                      And I'm sure a younger demo would respond to a younger character if he or she was decently written and planned and if they were given a role that fit with being a young character - a green lieutenant or captain assigned to the flagship team.

Comment

Their bright young character certainly did a bang up job of revitalizing the show. When exactly did 'revitalize' become a symonym for 'wreck'?

And I'm sure a younger demo would respond to a younger character if he or she was decently written and planned and if they were given a role that fit with being a young character - a green lieutenant or captain assigned to the flagship team.
                        which is what they needed to do, imho

I think back to jonas. to me, he revitalized the show and brought in that 'sense of wonder'....but since he was IN the team not ON the team, it worked - for me at least.

cam was, apparantly, originally conceived to bea major and they shoud have left him that way. making him a lt colonel just to satisify their sexist 'man must be the boss' propoganda is the greaest disservice to the character and one of the largest reasons that he'll never be anything but a flop

eta, i meant to say that jonas was IN the team not in charge of the team. fingers going faster than my brain, sorry.
                        Last edited by Skydiver; 27 April 2006, 09:06 AM.

sigpic

Comment

I think back to jonas. to me, he revitalized the show and brought in that 'sense of wonder'....but since he was IN the team not ON the team, it worked - for me at least.
                          Jonas worked much better than Mitchell.

For me, having Mitchell be in command of the team has blocked any hope thathe would ever be a part of it.

cam was, apparantly, originally conceived to bea major and they shoud have left him that way. making him a lt colonel just to satisify their sexist 'man must be the boss' propoganda is the greaest disservice to the character and one of the largest reasons that he'll never be anything but a flop
                          As a matter of curiousity, does anybody know whether the character of Major Cameron Mitchell was conceived before or after Ben Browder was signed on?

It would be interesting to know whether it was the writers, the show execs, the Sci-Fi Channel execs, Ben Browder's agent, RCC or a combination of the above who were insisting on Ben Browder being the star and, to justify this, the leader of SG-1.

Comment

eta, i meant to say that jonas was IN the team not in charge of the team. fingers going faster than my brain, sorry.
                            One of the reasons that Jonas was interesting was the fact that he annoyed O'Neill and had to work to be accepted. He also had a skill that brought something special to the team.
                            I would have loved to see some conflict with Mitchell and his appointment to SG-1, a la Makepiece in Shades of Grey.
                            sigpic
                            Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                            My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                              I would have loved to see some conflict with Mitchell and his appointment to SG-1, a la Makepiece in Shades of Grey.
                              Me too, but sadly that would never have been allowed to happen.

If TPTB's determination to pimp Mitchell as the greatest hewo of all time is any indication, they would not have wanted anything less than total acceptance of his position as leader.

The last thing they would have wanted is to have a character (a) raise the question of why Sam wasn't back in command when she returned or (b) express doubts in Mitchell as a leader, for fear of putting ideas into the viewers' heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                                One of the reasons that Jonas was interesting was the fact that he annoyed O'Neill and had to work to be accepted. He also had a skill that brought something special to the team.
                                at least it would have been something. this show is so notorious for not having any consequences or follow ups-General Jack went off the radar-no mention of Jacob or Janet.

some emotional response to something would have been nice

Comment

Working...
                                X