S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    I'm just being nosy, ... but am wondering why you think Season 7 is "Carter heavy"? There were 5 episodes that were more focussed on her than the other team members. The rest were either team focussed or split between Jack, Daniel or Teal'c (Teal'c, as usual, had the least focus of anyone). Did I miss something?
    I haven't counted them up, but it did seem like there were a number of Carter episodes. Not that I mind Carter episodes--but trying to be objective. But then again maybe it was just that they spent more time on character X episodes than in the past? Or they were just split up more? or I'm nuts? (wait don't answer that )

Comment

@ Skydiver:

While I didn't really care for the Sheppard/McKay/Keller dynamic being so centerfold later into SGA's run, didn't SGA's ratings technically rebound some in the last couple of seasons compared to the third?
      If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Tomorian View Post
        Nothing in the Stargate franchise can beat the original SG-1. Nothing.

When it comes to season 9 & 10, the episodes are aging very well. My first impression of SG-1 without Jack was negative. As we get further and further away, I began to appreciate all the EPIC story telling in season ten. I can watch season ten on a wide screen tv, and walk away as if I just watched a film. They did a great job in theatrics.

"Pegasus Project" was the best episode ever!
        I actually ended up watching the series in "reverse." My very first SG1 episode was Origin and I went forward from there. Afterwards, I ended up watching SG1 reruns on Syfy and Hulu. No doubt the original SG1 is the best but Seasons 9 & 10 had their own appeal which was distinctly SG1 but not.

Pegasus Project was one of their best. They threw together the best of what SG1 and Atlantis had to offer and the result was great.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, I do have to say that "The Pegasus Project" was probably my favorite S9-S10 episode (except for maybe "200", so it shouldn't have been a surprise that Brad Wright was the one who wrote it. (Of the head PTB, he seems to have his head on the straightest.)

As for sidelines, it's my theory that "Talion" was a lame attempt at giving at giving Teal'c a storyline (or at least an episode focused on him) after the Jaffa were free. And to turn him into a Jack Baueresque torturer...

On that note, what did everyone think about the Jaffa nation becoming a democracy in a single episode? Me, I think that a culture that hasn't had any experience with democratic government shouldn't have it thrust upon them and/or go cold turkey... between that decision and the torture in Talion I sometimes wonder if Cheney didn't ghostwrite some of those scripts (not to get into politics, but still...)

Comment

I think the idea that the Jaffa might want a more representative gov't after rule by the goa'uld makes some sense, but it also makes sense that they'd wind up trending toward a more monarchical system which is what they're used to.

I didn't like Tailon for a number of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
              Well if it works why 'fix; it? Ahh, the old team. Arguably the best of them all.
              And why do they think the fans wanted anything but that? I'll never understand it. They really ignored Sam And Teal'c in the last 2 seasons which was such a mistake. Also, they made Daniel a completely different character and I barely recognized him.
              sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
                And why do they think the fans wanted anything but that? I'll never understand it. They really ignored Sam And Teal'c in the last 2 seasons which was such a mistake. Also, they made Daniel a completely different character and I barely recognized him.

Well, they wanted a new show 'Stargate Command' and the network wanted a new season of SG-1. So - they did what they had to do. I think SG-1 suffered the most because they were running two shows concurrently by then and from comments Brad has made, he knows it. And they didn't want to make that mistake with SGA and SGU.

Unfortunately, the show just changed too much to keep many of those who'd followed from the beginning.

I really like Brad a lot (would love to meet the man) and am encouraged that he has written and wants so badly to make the next SG-1 movie.
                sigpic
                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                  I really like Brad a lot (would love to meet the man) and am encouraged that he has written and wants so badly to make the next SG-1 movie.
                  Oh me too. Mostly, I'd just like to give him a high-5 and tell him not to let the Atlantis fans get him down.
                  Originally posted by Callista
                  Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                  Originally posted by HPMom
                  She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    It's fine with show creators to put forth their preferences. But, if they want to keep doing it and keep the show going, they need to have a feel for what viewers in general will like.
                    are you kidding? the viewers had NO SAY what so ever in the movies and the first couple seasons if not all yet we enjoyed and followed the story line, what makes u think since they have watched it for x amount of yrs they have a say now? the writers, write the stories not the viewers... wow im just so surprised you even said that but i spose you cant please everyone now can you and there will always be critics.

Comment

i never said 'the writers should poll viewers and cater to them'

my comment is, the writers have to have some idea of the general kinds of stories, etc that your random, average tv viewer will tune into, and that's what they make.

they don't cater to 'fans' but 'viewers', which are two separate groups.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        i never said 'the writers should poll viewers and cater to them'

my comment is, the writers have to have some idea of the general kinds of stories, etc that your random, average tv viewer will tune into, and that's what they make.

they don't cater to 'fans' but 'viewers', which are two separate groups.
                        True, if you cater to only 2 characters most of the time, you will lose viewers who like the other characters. There should be a balance of showing all the team members.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

the broader a show's focus, the broader its appeal.

i feel, why was SG1 so popular for years? there were sam stories, and jack stories and daniel stories and teal'c stories, and jack/daniel friendship, jack/sam friendship, sam/teal'c friendship, sam/daniel friendship...there were character stories, adventure stories, jaffa stories, tok'ra stories, goa'uld stories, earth stories....there was a smattering of everything during the course of a season.

and every character/actor got thier moment in the sun.

the show had a broad focus and it enabled fans to pull from it different bits and pieces over the course of 22 episodes.

but, by the time we got to s10, by and large, the show was The Adventures of Action Jackson, his sidekick and comic relief Vala with the backup singers of Cam, Sam and Teal'c.

If you loved the Vala/Daniel dynamic, you had it made. if you didn't....well there might be 1-2 episodes in there focused on something else.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

^all the while proclaiming what a team they were or "family"
                            Seems to me that in the early seasons they just behaved as a team and we knew it without being *told*. I think the first time there was a reference in dialog was in S6 "We were a *team,* Teal'c" by Sam when mourning for Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                              ^all the while proclaiming what a team they were or "family"
                              Seems to me that in the early seasons they just behaved as a team and we knew it without being *told*. I think the first time there was a reference in dialog was in S6 "We were a *team,* Teal'c" by Sam when mourning for Daniel.
                              And about *all* we heard in S9 was hoo-ha about "getting the band back together", "that's what I'm talking about". Well, they were together in theory I suppose, but it ... . Characters who were teammates/friends for years barely spoke to one another. Just with a new character.

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                                And about *all* we heard in S9 was hoo-ha about "getting the band back together", "that's what I'm talking about". Well, they were together in theory I suppose, but it ... . Characters who were teammates/friends for years barely spoke to one another. Just with a new character.

suse
                                I guess it could open up fanfic story possibilities:

Unbeknownst to Sam and Teal'c, Daniel has remnants of Anubis in him which explain his odd behavior. But since he was acting like such a jerk Sam and Teal'c refuse to deal with him except under orders. Eventually, Daniel gets so out of hand that Sam and Teal'c figure out what's wrong with him. No one else believes them so enlist Jack to helpy kidnap Anubis-Daniel & deprogram him.
                                Now *that's* a team.

Comment

Working...
                                X