S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
    RDA was real good at telling them when they were doing something he didn't like, agree with, or would lower the believability of a scene/episode.
    The killjoy!

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

Oops, my bad. I think I was confusing that reference in Chimera to something I read in a fic about Sam post ITLOD.
    No problems. I can be a pain that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      The killjoy!

That seems to have been the implication in some S9 interviews of some people.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
        That seems to have been the implication in some S9 interviews of some people.

suse
        I've read those interviews and I lost a little more respect I had for those people when I did.

RDA may have been a harda$$ as far as that went but at least it was for the believable betterment of the show.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

IMHO, it was a bit of a slap in the face to him to have them saying - on the record - how much fun it was without him.

ok, yeah, they may have been having fun, but, in this case, fun didn't equal what many deemed quality. it's like they were a bunch of kids, enjoying things while mom and dad went on vacation, and were so busy having fun that they couldn't see that they were burning down the house while they were partying
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            IMHO, it was a bit of a slap in the face to him to have them saying - on the record - how much fun it was without him.

ok, yeah, they may have been having fun, but, in this case, fun didn't equal what many deemed quality. it's like they were a bunch of kids, enjoying things while mom and dad went on vacation, and were so busy having fun that they couldn't see that they were burning down the house while they were partying
            Not to excuse them, because there clearly were some pretty tactless things said, but we also have to remember that the journalist or interviewer is also after juicy copy, as is his editor.
            The interviewees could have spoken for hours about how much they liked and respected RDA and it can end up edited out in favour of a soundbite or line which is more controversial or more in keeping with the editor's brief. Very few news sites are with out their own bias or slant, ditto the interviewer and editor.
            All of which means that all media should be viewed in context of its inherent bias and the original intent of the interviewee might not be accurately conveyed.

FF
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
              Not to excuse them, because there clearly were some pretty tactless things said, but we also have to remember that the journalist or interviewer is also after juicy copy, as is his editor.
              The interviewees could have spoken for hours about how much they liked and respected RDA and it can end up edited out in favour of a soundbite or line which is more controversial or more in keeping with the editor's brief. Very few news sites are with out their own bias or slant, ditto the interviewer and editor.
              All of which means that all media should be viewed in context of its inherent bias and the original intent of the interviewee might not be accurately conveyed.

FF
              While this is true, when it's the same thing being repeated again and again, you get the impression that those being interviewed know exactly what they're saying.

I actually consider those interviews to be more unintentional thoughtlessness on the part of the interviewee than I do deliberately hurtful. I'm sure none of them sat down and said "Right, let us insult RDA today" but there is a level common sense not being used that is a bit silly for seasoned, professional actors.

They know how the media works, know that the journalist is just looking for the story, slipping up once is understandable, repeating the same phrase over and over again is deliberate. IMO.
              Originally posted by Callista
              Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
              Originally posted by HPMom
              She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                While this is true, when it's the same thing being repeated again and again, you get the impression that those being interviewed know exactly what they're saying.

I actually consider those interviews to be more unintentional thoughtlessness on the part of the interviewee than I do deliberately hurtful. I'm sure none of them sat down and said "Right, let us insult RDA today" but there is a level common sense not being used that is a bit silly for seasoned, professional actors.

They know how the media works, know that the journalist is just looking for the story, slipping up once is understandable, repeating the same phrase over and over again is deliberate. IMO.
                Ack! I just know I'm going to regret this, but trainwrecks and all that... Can a girl get a link?
                you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Agreed.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                    Ack! I just know I'm going to regret this, but trainwrecks and all that... Can a girl get a link?
                    Here are links to a book preface written by RDA where he acknowledges, and defends, his former castmates remarks, and Cliff Simon/CJ interviews that I posted when we last discussed this issue. The CJ interview irks me.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=16994

I stopped looking when I started getting flustered on RDA's behalf.

Comment

Here are links to a book preface written by RDA where he acknowledges, and defends, his former castmates remarks, and Cliff Simon/CJ interviews that I posted when we last discussed this issue. The CJ interview irks me.

I stopped looking when I started getting flustered on RDA's behalf.
                      Thanks, darling!

Though, as I suspected, I could have quite happily lived without reading that. I just can't ever help myself.

Just one thing -- both links lead to the same post (Cliff Simon and RDA's preface; no CJ interview). And though I'm probably better off not reading the latter*, just wanted to give you a heads-up.

*And yet I cannot stop myself from perusing GW in search for it. This makes me uneasy!
                      you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                        Thanks, darling!

Though, as I suspected, I could have quite happily lived without reading that. I just can't ever help myself.

Just one thing -- both links lead to the same post (Cliff Simon and RDA's preface; no CJ interview). And though I'm probably better off not reading the latter*, just wanted to give you a heads-up.

*And yet I cannot stop myself from perusing GW in search for it. This makes me uneasy!

I are smrt. Here ya go.

Originally posted by CJ
                        Certainly, certainly. Well, you know, for as much as it was said to be a team it was always "Rick and the other three mooks." You know what I mean? Well, it was. I mean, truly. And then in the last couple of years then it became "the three guys and Rick when he's here."

Now it really is a true team.
                        Originally posted by GW
                        So Teal'c's not going to get pushed into the background again? Become "wallpaper?"
                        Originally posted by CJ
                        I don't think so! I don't think so. And I think because Ben is so determined that it's not going to happen. <snip>

It's almost like remembering how to act again, because there is that general air of spontaneity. Anything can happen at any time. It's such a breath of fresh air. It's just so reinvigorating. It really is. I'm sure everyone said it's like starting a new show, but it really is like this. That sense of excitement, and not just for the actors -- I mean from the writers, from the directors, the crew, from top to bottom. Craft service is especially good this year!

People are happy to be here and excited about it. We laugh all day. Why be here if it's not this much fun? And the fun factor is off the meter. It really is.
                        http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/judgement_day.shtml
                        Christopher Judge interview.

Comment

if it had just been one person, no biggie, but it was more than one in more than one place

and yeah, the biggest thing was that Rick heard and seemed hurt by it.

feel what you want, but folks in s9 and 10 took a while to learn how to phrase things in public. There were several tactless comments made by several members of the cast/crew

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            if it had just been one person, no biggie, but it was more than one in more than one place

and yeah, the biggest thing was that Rick heard and seemed hurt by it.

feel what you want, but folks in s9 and 10 took a while to learn how to phrase things in public. There were several tactless comments made by several members of the cast/crew
                            Indeed there were, no argument there.
                            One wonders if there was a studio line they were toeing (not an excuse, in my mind)? The same lines seem to come up in different interviews.

FF
                            sigpic

Comment

I are smrt. Here ya go.
                              Cheers!

But, ow! WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?

Originally Posted by CJ
                              Certainly, certainly. Well, you know, for as much as it was said to be a team it was always "Rick and the other three mooks." You know what I mean? Well, it was. I mean, truly. And then in the last couple of years then it became "the three guys and Rick when he's here."
                              HOW SO CONTRADICTIVE TO YOURSELF IN THREE SENTENCES OR LESS, CJ? HOW?

Now it really is a true team.
                              Wut? Have I blinked and missed this development?

Originally Posted by GW
                              So Teal'c's not going to get pushed into the background again? Become "wallpaper?"
                              Originally Posted by CJ
                              I don't think so! I don't think so. And I think because Ben is so determined that it's not going to happen. <snip>
                              Well, that kinda didn't work out. I mean, it's not just me, right; Teal'c has neverever been more two-dimensional than in those last two seasons. I don't know if this enthusiasm is solely because it's needed when dealing with the press and essentially promoting your project, or are people really that oblivious when too close to their work. IDEK.

This makes me want to cuddle The Rick even more and in a different manner than I usually do.

Comment

to me, teal'c's epiphany season was six. that's when he did the most and was at the pinnacle of his development.

then from s7 to 8 he kinda got backgrounded, by seasons 9 and 10 he was just there to be a foil to vala, pair up with cam or get tortured

personally, the jonas/teal'c 'refugee aliens' dynamic was wonderful. Teal'c got to stop being the token alien and became a mentor to Jonas. He got to be big brother instead of jack's straight man.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X