Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
    Spoiler:
    I'm never quite sure why people are so impressed with Qe'Tesh. She's pretty much a bog standard goa'uld as far as I can tell. There's no real acting required more than any other cliché backstabbing badguy roll. What do people find impressive about it?

Qe'tesh:
    Spoiler:

Actually, I think a lot of why I loved Qe'tesh was that she was very much a backstabbing, ruthless Goa'uld. It was a nice change from the Ori and Lucian Alliance as villians, and Ba'al to an extent, which had disappointed me in S9-10.

The LA and Ba'al were often played for laughs as opposed to being credible villains, and the Ori just fell flat for me in many ways. With Qe'tesh, and Ba'al in Contiuum, I felt like Stargate had gotten back to taking its villains seriously again.

sigpic

Comment

I think a lot of my enjoyment of Qe'tesh came from my delight at having CB in a role that allowed her to do more than crack jokes and harass Daniel. I thought her performace was very subtle. She was menacing without ever raising her voice, seductive without being overly sexualized.

I enjoyed her immensly.
      Originally posted by Callista
      Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
      Originally posted by HPMom
      She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
        I think a lot of my enjoyment of Qe'tesh came from my delight at having CB in a role that allowed her to do more than crack jokes and harass Daniel. I thought her performace was very subtle. She was menacing without ever raising her voice, seductive without being overly sexualized.

I enjoyed her immensly.
        I thought CB was very good playing a baddy. I especially agree with the bolded!!!! (I'd green you but I'm out of it)
        "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should... With all its sham,drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Baltimore, 1692

Comment

yeah, a wonderful performance that was a pleasant change from her cliched quipster of the prior season

I think my only quibble with qetesh was that horrible costume that they had the poor woman wear. the bodice looked so poorly fit that i felt sorry for her having to wear it. Like, are straps illegal or something????

I know part of the cut was to drape to hide baby bump, but the whole strapless bit wasn't flattering, so i really felt sorry for claudia having to spend hours in something that looked so uncomfortable to wear
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Anywho.... if you could change one thing to make S9/S10 more palatable to you, what would it be?

I'm just catching up, sorry for lateness (is that a word?)

Well, it's hard to pick just one thing since I disliked so many changes/new things. But I guess if they stuck to continuity instead of inventing new canon I wouldn't have been so put out. Continuity wouldn't allow for giving Mitchell command/taking it from Sam, would erase such horrible creations like "Family Ties" altogether (Jasek would never have been trusted/brought to Earth so the episode wouldn't have happened), would appease Jack fans etc.

The second thing -but closely tied with the first - I would have changed is humour. If TPTB went back to seasons 1-8 mood, with serious dilemmas/characters/bad guys/events and 1-2 humorous episodes per season the show would have been much better. Maybe then I could have bought Luscien Alliance as the villains instead of one huge joke and slapstick humour contained in 1-2 eps would have been much easier to avoid. Beisdes without it Vala would have to be more serious, which is always a good thing.

So the answer is:continuity and humour.
            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
            sigpic
            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Have you guys seen the bloopers posted on the mgm site? Lots of S9 &10 ones. I have to say, though i may not like Landry, B. Bridges did seem to have a good sense of humor and get along well with the main cast. I can see why they were hopeful he would work out. Unfortunately he was working with material most of us here found a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                The second thing -but closely tied with the first - I would have changed is humour. If TPTB went back to seasons 1-8 mood, with serious dilemmas/characters/bad guys/events and 1-2 humorous episodes per season the show would have been much better. Maybe then I could have bought Luscien Alliance as the villains instead of one huge joke and slapstick humour contained in 1-2 eps would have been much easier to avoid. Beisdes without it Vala would have to be more serious, which is always a good thing.

So the answer is:continuity and humour.
                I think in the early seasons the humor was more along the lines of a few wry remarks interspersed in the episode. it felt like the humor came from the characters' personalities and the situations.

For example:

I think it was Serpent's lair at the start of S2, when they find themselves on apophis' ship and find the sarcophagus. Jack says something like "oh, great--more snakeheads. Any idea who's in here?"

Or in Cor'ai when Teal'c tells them the Goau'ld "harvest" hosts there, Daniel says something like "can you not say that? It sounds like brussel sprouts."

In 9 & 10 it felt like they were trying to write funny lines.

and I don't think the writers took the show seriously anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                  Have you guys seen the bloopers posted on the mgm site? Lots of S9 &10 ones. I have to say, though i may not like Landry, B. Bridges did seem to have a good sense of humor and get along well with the main cast. I can see why they were hopeful he would work out. Unfortunately he was working with material most of us here found a problem.
                  Yeah. I watched a few but just wasn't interested in the season 10 stuff.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I liked the one with Sam and Jack where RDA was going on about holes and cheese and not talking anymore becuase he got yelled at. Plus, AT looked lovely.
                    Originally posted by Callista
                    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                    Originally posted by HPMom
                    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Ywah, I kinda skimmed the S10 stuff. Some was funny, but others just fell flat. Still annoyed at S9/S10 apparently.

We really need the earlier seasons on the bloopers. Assuming they can get permission. it's been long enough that RDA's prior reasoning might no longer be valid.

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                        In 9 & 10 it felt like they were trying to write funny lines.
                        Oi! Word.

Why did they think that packing as many (bad) jokes and quips as possible in 40 minutes was a good idea, I'll never know. Every time someone did a gag or chipped in with a 'humorous' line, I wanted to yell YOU'RE TRYING TOO HARD. STOP IT. It was just so cringe-worthy. And fell way flat.

(The Mitchell baby daddy scene from 200 comes to mind. I swear I heard *crickets* in the pauses between diff character lines. HOW SO BAD, WRITERS!)
                        you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          it's been long enough that RDA's prior reasoning might no longer be valid.
                          Help a clueless girl out. What was his reasoning?
                          you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

i'm not sure if it was rick or brad taht weren't fond of bloopers in that it made the show less serious and all that

I think, as the show went on, there was also a practical aspect to not pulling them out. We got to see Rainmaker one time and they literally got a dozen or so tapes a day from the studio. it'd take several people a day's shift just to cull out bloopers each day.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              i'm not sure if it was rick or brad taht weren't fond of bloopers in that it made the show less serious and all that.
                              Well, that reasoning went out the window with S9 airing. /grump

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                                Well, that reasoning went out the window with S9 airing. /grump

Thanks for the info!
                                Quite, quite true.

I wish they had added some bloopers to the CotG recut. *That* would have been fun - and more motivation to buy.
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X