S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VSS View Post
    That was in the commentary? I didn't know that, but I don't have the DVDs.
    TPTB must have gotten a lot of flak about it since JM actually went on record saying that's not the way the relationship was intended to be portrayed. I would think it's rare to contradict what an actor says- on the other hand, in such a case, the writer's take on it is what I go by.
    I never saw anything between S/T but friendship, either.

Considering this is the writer that said Mitchell and Sam were co-leads, I wouldn't necessarily put much stock in what writers say...

They didn't intend Sam/Cam in Ripple Effect, but that's what the directors saw...

It's not like it was overt. And even if it does, so what? I'd imagine AT and CJ were just making things entertaining. Heaven knows they typically had little enough to do.
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
      Considering this is the writer that said Mitchell and Sam were co-leads, I wouldn't necessarily put much stock in what writers say...
      Their stories do seem to change over the years, just like the actors do. What one said years ago about a particular something may not be the party line they're towing now.
      sigpic
      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

They didn't intend Sam/Cam in Ripple Effect, but that's what the directors saw...
        Well, that never made it to the screen, either, because the writers are in charge of the overall story arc. That's their main job. The director translates the story to the screen. Now, if PDL had gotten his way I'd think differently, but that is ultimately not what happened.

It's not like it was overt. And even if it does, so what? I'd imagine AT and CJ were just making things entertaining. Heaven knows they typically had little enough to do.
        Yes, I'd imagine that's exactly what they were doing. I'd be bored, too.

Comment

Well, that never made it to the screen, either, because the writers are in charge of the overall story arc. That's their main job. The director translates the story to the screen. Now, if PDL had gotten his way I'd think differently, but that is ultimately not what happened.
          I had some moments - one of which was Sam/Cam related... of coarse the number of those moments boggles after a while <sigh>

Much is left open to interpretation, even the directors have leeway if something is not specified. I really doubt PDL would have not gone with the writer's idea if it were specified.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
            Their stories do seem to change over the years, just like the actors do. What one said years ago about a particular something may not be the party line they're towing now.
            That's certainly true! I have a question- does Stargate have/had a "bible" to keep track of all these things? And if they do, do stories count? That is, how do they keep track of story arcs over a ten-year history when writers come and go? I find it very interesting that there are coherent stories at all, considering the turnover on this show. Although it seemed like the bible got tossed in Season 9 & 10, if it ever existed it all.

I had some moments - one of which was Sam/Cam related... of coarse the number of those moments boggles after a while <sigh>

Much is left open to interpretation, even the directors have leeway if something is not specified. I really doubt PDL would have not gone with the writer's idea if it were specified.

suse
            Yes, very true. But there again, it's ultimately the writer's responsibility to clear up a misinterpretation so the director can do his job, especially if it's crappy writing that misled the director in the first place, which may very well be what happened with TRE.!
            Last edited by VSS; 30 June 2009, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I remember really liking The Shroud but that may have been because I was excited that Jack was back. I'll have to go take another look and see if I notice what people are talking about re-Daniel.
              I remember really liking it too, but I have to agree that it might have been a "Woohoo! Jack!" moment where anyone that wasn't RDA faded into the background as unimportant.

Though, I remember being irked at Vala sitting on his lap going on about "the great plan for escape she was planning to plan should the need to plan one arise" when I was hoping for some Daniel/Sam or Daniel/Teal'c interactions, since they were so few.
              Originally posted by Callista
              Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
              Originally posted by HPMom
              She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                I remember really liking it too, but I have to agree that it might have been a "Woohoo! Jack!" moment where anyone that wasn't RDA faded into the background as unimportant.

Though, I remember being irked at Vala sitting on his lap going on about "the great plan for escape she was planning to plan should the need to plan one arise" when I was hoping for some Daniel/Sam or Daniel/Teal'c interactions, since they were so few.
                This is the single moment that defined Season 10 for me, since I watched the eps out of order. I saw this, thought WTF?, and never bothered to buy the DVDs.

Comment

Origiial team? You have *got* to be kidding.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Origiial team? You have *got* to be kidding.

suse

It was a pipe dream, but alas, I had hope...

Then I had a margarita and it all seemed better

Comment

This is the single moment that defined Season 10 for me, since I watched the eps out of order. I saw this, thought WTF?, and never bothered to buy the DVDs.
                      Haha, seconded! After giving up on the new 'team' after the first few episodes of S9, I too watched the eps in random order - The Shroud being pretty high on the S10 list simply because it had Jack. In retrospect, I should have known better. I have been conned yet again with the (here so grossly underused) power of RDA.

Well played, writers. Well played.

I think the real issue in Entity is the fact that the intelligence picked out Sam deliberately thinking Jack wouldn't hurt her.
                      This as well, yes ('I've been watching you' line, yes?) -- which was the point of my ill-conceived comment at ridiculous AM. To in the end show us how the entity was wrong and just because Jack loves her liek whoa! cares about her lalala, you know the drill, he still has his priorities straight.
                      Last edited by slurredspeech; 30 June 2009, 01:11 PM. Reason: I fail at life, universe and everything.
                      you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

It's known to do that, a margarita. Imagine what five'll do!

*passes drinks to all*
                        you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Maybe the network asked them to 'sex it up' those last two seasons and that's why the dominatrix thief was given so much to do?

It was a pipe dream, but alas, I had hope...

It took far more than one for me!
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                            Haha, seconded! After giving up on the new 'team' after the first few episodes of S9, I too watched the eps in random order - The Shroud being pretty high on the S10 list simply because it had Jack. In retrospect, I should have known better. I have been conned yet again with the (here so grossly underused) power of RDA.

Well played, writers. Well played.
                            I have to admit, just mention RDA in anything Stargate related and you've got my attention. I mean, I tuned into Atlantis when he was on it and I absolutely hated that show.

He's also why I saw Continuum, where he was also underused, though to be fair, BW did say that was all he could get RDA for. They're just lucky I liked the movie anyway. What RDA lacked in screentime though, he totally made up for in looking very, very sexy in the desert BDUs. Very.

Maybe the network asked them to 'sex it up' those last two seasons and that's why the dominatrix thief was given so much to do?
                            That must be it.

It took far more than one for me!
                            Tequila is not my friend. One margarita and I'm giggling stupidly and confusing cats for kangaroos (true story).

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                              This as well, yes ('I've been watching you' line, yes?) -- which was the point of my ill-conceived comment at ridiculous AM. To in the end show us how the entity was wrong and just because Jack loves her liek whoa! cares about her lalala, you know the drill, he still has his priorities straight.
                              With Entity, I don't quite see how a computer virus could pick up or understand human emotions like that, in the limited time it was in the SGC, unless Jack and Sam were doing something obvious to display their feelings.

From what I remember from the episode, it saw Sam talking with Hammond and Jack in the control room, read her file, saw that she was their technical expert and perhaps reasoned that she was the most likely person on base to stop it. Then it saw her use the keyboard and realized that was how it could jump into her.

sigpic

Comment

Agreed.

Though I don't think the adjustments would be allowing a known thief/con artist - one who stole a *ship* and at that time *and* later held a team member for ransom - on a team, trusting her with the computers, people's lives and a gun.

I also don't think they would allow someone untrained for the job to be the flagship team leader (even if he led somewhere else) - especially when all but the earliest recruits were sent thru training. Stargate Commands uniqueness would make that a bad idea.

suse
                                you ever hear of Wernher Von Braun? the so-called "father of the us space program" was a Nazi who used Jews as slave labor in his work for the Nazis. He and other rocket scientists from germany were brought to the us and even given citizenship because of what they knew....who cared about the Nazi ties, atleast they weren't commies! the US military has a history of ignoring who/what a person did in order to take advantage of what they knew. vala as a former host, then mother of the orici would ahve been considered another Von Braun by the us military.

Comment

Working...
                                X