No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did the writers feel the need to give characters gratuitous lines praising post-Janet doctors?

In "Babylon", some one (can't remember who) says that Lam saved Volnek's life, and that he's only alive because she's so "good".

In "Uninvited", Dr. Redden is doing an autopsy of that beast thing and says "She appears to be quite knowledgeable".

Are they seriously attempting to win over fans reeling from the loss of Janet with these frankly embarrassing lines of dialogue?

Thank God there wasn't a line like this for Dr. Brightman. She had even less personality than Lam!
    sigpic
    Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
      Why did the writers feel the need to give characters gratuitous lines praising post-Janet doctors?

In "Babylon", some one (can't remember who) says that Lam saved Volnek's life, and that he's only alive because she's so "good".

In "Uninvited", Dr. Redden is doing an autopsy of that beast thing and says "She appears to be quite knowledgeable".

Are they seriously attempting to win over fans reeling from the loss of Janet with these frankly embarrassing lines of dialogue?

Thank God there wasn't a line like this for Dr. Brightman. She had even less personality than Lam!
      I think it was a case of tell not show, which was something they did with all the new characters, not just the doctors. They never showed us on screen that these new additions were great, but they wanted us to believe it so what better way than to have characters we love sing thier praises?
      Originally posted by Callista
      Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
      Originally posted by HPMom
      She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
        I think it was a case of tell not show, which was something they did with all the new characters, not just the doctors. They never showed us on screen that these new additions were great, but they wanted us to believe it so what better way than to have characters we love sing thier praises?
        There was a lot of that going on in S9 & S10. My favorite was when they had Sam tell Vala she "earned" her place on the team. If Sam says it, the viewers will buy it. The Sam of S1-S8 would of told her she earned a place in the brig after PU.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mapsc View Post
          There was a lot of that going on in S9 & S10. My favorite was when they had Sam tell Vala she "earned" her place on the team. If Sam says it, the viewers will buy it. The Sam of S1-S8 would of told her she earned a place in the brig after PU.

Mike
          *cough* Sam would have thrown her in the Brig
          -

Comment

There was a lot of that in S9 and 10. I remember RDA saying something about not talking down to the viewers or bring production down to the lowest common denominator and that's exactly what S9 and 10 did. As if by having a beloved character say it was ok, would make it believable. (Sam re-Vala, Landry via Jack re-Mitchell), the Lam stuff I hadn't noticed before . . . though she wasn't in it enough for me to care one way or another what they did with her character. Lexa is hella talented but the character development for Lam just wasn't there.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
              Lexa is hella talented but the character development for Lam just wasn't there.
              Completely OT, but as soon as I read that I was like "Oh. Another Californian." I don't think I've ever heard some one say "hella" that hasn't lived in CA at some point in their life or is friends with some one who did.

Comment

I'm not much of a Sanctuary fan, but it's nice to know that the show has talented writers to go with it's talented cast. If Mr. McCullough had had more of a hand in stargate I think I might have liked those final 2 seasons better, because no matter what I may think about the characters they portrayed, the cast was excellent. But not even CB, an amazing actress with charm and charisma to spare, can make shoddy writing and poor character development work.
                I disagree. Sorry to burst your bubble but other credits of Mr McCullough include Stronghold and Off the grid in season 9 - my two most hated episodes - and Insiders and Company of Thieves in season 10 - again, the lowpoints. And Sam wasn't written well in these episodes either, not to mention Mitchell.. so persoanlly I'm thankful that his involvement wasn't bigger.

Indeed. So while they may be of the same rank, Mitchell still commands and excerts power over her, QED, a relationship between Sam and Mitchell is just as off limits as Sam and Jack. Like we've all said before, proper military protocal was thrown out the window in seasons 9 and 10.

Honestly, the only time I see fraternazation rules come it to play is when it is being used to discuss why Sam and Jack shouldn't be together, but other than those two specific characters it never gets brought up.
                Thank you for saying this. I was starting to think I'm crazy when every time I brought it up (not on this thread) people either ignored me or were like "it's different but I don't need to explain why"
                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                  I disagree. Sorry to burst your bubble but other credits of Mr McCullough include Stronghold and Off the grid in season 9 - my two most hated episodes - and Insiders and Company of Thieves in season 10 - again, the lowpoints. And Sam wasn't written well in these episodes either, not to mention Mitchell.. so persoanlly I'm thankful that his involvement wasn't bigger.
                  Consider it burst. Perhaps I should have taken a better look at that list, as I was really only checking the few Vala episodes that I liked/tolerated her in. Insiders makes me want to harm some one.

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                  Thank you for saying this. I was starting to think I'm crazy when every time I brought it up (not on this thread) people either ignored me or were like "it's different but I don't need to explain why"
                  I generally find that when people dont want to explain something they ususally can't, but in any event, you're not crazy. At least, not any crazier than I am since we agree on this point.

Mitchell was Sam's superior officer, there was no "joint command," and there is no reason that either relationship should be held up to different standards, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                    Manipulating rules (in this case, those upheld by the Air Force) just to fit your characters and draw out drama annoys me.
                    As far as Sam and Jack are concerned, I interpreted it as adhering to the rules rather than manipulating them. I thought it added to the verisimilitude of the show.

I know they didn't explore their relationship in seasons 9 and 10, nor do I think they should have, but it would have been nice had Jack been mentioned every once in a while.
                    sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                    May we all be so well loved.

Comment

I'm not a J/S shipper but the hypocrisy and double standards infuriate me.

But I see no way they can drag rules and regulations into it anymore. Sam isn't in Jack's direct chain of command anymore.
                      I'm afraid she is. Jack's pretty far up the chain but he's still there. If Landry suddenly died for example, he'd pick the next SGC commander. (after he picked Landry and he Lam according to season 9)

So he does still have the power to be a unfair advantage for Sam's Career.

Although when she assumes commands of the 304 Hammond possibly not. THey've been a bit fuzzy on who ultimately controls them: Homeworld Security or the IOA itself.
                      sigpic
                      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                        I'm afraid she is. Jack's pretty far up the chain but he's still there. If Landry suddenly died for example, he'd pick the next SGC commander. (after he picked Landry and he Lam according to season 9)

So he does still have the power to be a unfair advantage for Sam's Career.

Although when she assumes commands of the 304 Hammond possibly not. THey've been a bit fuzzy on who ultimately controls them: Homeworld Security or the IOA itself.
                        I don't know.

We know that Sam is getting command of the Hammond, and we also know from Universe spoilers that Jack
                        Spoiler:
                        has been promoted to Lt. General which means he's no longer in charge of HWS,
                        so I personally don't think she is in his chain of command anymore. They've always been a stickler about AF rules where J/S is concerned, I don't know why they'd change now.

I could be wrong though.

Comment

Ashizuri, I don't follow that logic.

Spoiler:
                          Why does Jack being promote necessarily mean a change is position? If Jack's not in HWS why would he have contract with the universe kids?
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                            Ashizuri, I don't follow that logic.

Spoiler:
                            Why does Jack being promote necessarily mean a change is position? If Jack's not in HWS why would he have contract with the universe kids?
                            Spoiler:
                            Lt. general is a rank you can only reach when you're put in a position that requires it. So if Jack has been the head of HWS as a major general it would mean that the promotion comes with a new position that requires his new rank. I have absolutely no idea what that position might be though.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Considering the exceptional seniority the position of HWS would be. (Isn't it a cabinet position?) I'd consider it more likely that Jack was supposed to be a three star general from the out set; they just weren't allowed to promote him twice so rapidly so regulations mandated a gap. Plus the idea that running the SGC and running HWS are about the same rank of responsibility seems a little off
                              sigpic
                              Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                                As far as Sam and Jack are concerned, I interpreted it as adhering to the rules rather than manipulating them. I thought it added to the verisimilitude of the show.
                                Oh, I agree with you regarding Jack and Sam. I was talking about Sam and any potential Mitchell relationship in S9 and 10.

I know they didn't explore their relationship in seasons 9 and 10, nor do I think they should have, but it would have been nice had Jack been mentioned every once in a while.

This was a mistake on TPTB's part. They way he was never mentioned made me think they just wanted the viewers to forget about him. SO never gonna happen.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X