S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    The old baggage of Sam, Teal'c and Daniel (not Jackson). I still say Anubis did something to him before he came back... (wish I could use my nickname )
    That would've been great. Daniel trapped as an Ascended and Anubis taking over for him. Tie it in to Anubis signaling the Ori and you've got a way better plot than what we got.
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
      cough
      Click at your own risk.

What four were wallpaper? I know of two that were. Sam and Teal'c.

suse
      Those four with wallpaper. Landy, Vala, Cam, Jackson and as wallpaper Sam and Teal'c.
      Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
        Not really. It would've been a natural evolution of SG-1 and it would've shown that Earth is taking its place in the universe, going from a mostly military team to a team of explorers and diplomats.
        Oh, nice! Natural evolution of the series.

You're right, it might really depend on your views of it. Imo, they could be saved but they would've had to be written very differently. The whole Jihad thing was a bit pointless and made them boring. Had they actually shown Ori appear and spreading miracles and such instead of being flames, they would've been far more menacing. They have potential but it was wasted by one dimensional writing.
        I think they were going for the equally menacing man behind the curtain.

Seriously, jms did this sooo much better with the Shadows.
        Just consider how they would've been if they appeared and started sharing so tech and subtlely manipulating planets into worshipping them and loathing the ancients, causing an all-out war between them. It would be far more devious and menacing.
        Find of a cross between Ancients and Aschen? Much more diabolical. Especially if it puts the teams that see the problem on the outs with the government. Would then make sense to have mostly aliens on the team.

Rogue SG-1 would sure be different. I'd have enjoyed.

suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Those four with wallpaper. Landy, Vala, Cam, Jackson and as wallpaper Sam and Teal'c.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Oh, nice! Natural evolution of the series.
            Thank you. It would make far more sense seeing as that Earth's the most powerful force in the galaxy at the end of S8.

I think they were going for the equally menacing man behind the curtain.

Seriously, jms did this sooo much better with the Shadows.
            That's an understatement. The whole Vorlon-Shadow stuff was great. Both sides were equally manipulative and actually had representatives that did a good job.

Mr. Morden was way better than the whole prior/doci mess. You could agree with him based on what he said and how he promoted it. You have a problem and he offers to help you. A goal? No problem, he'll help you.

And what about the Psi Corps, manipulating Earth's government behind the screens? Bester was a perfect representative. You might hate the guy, but you had to admit he was cultured and had class.

The priors and Doci just bored me to death. While Mr. Morden was charming and could convince you the Ori reps. were boring and pathetic. No manipulation, just lame death threats. I've read children's books with more depth to the characters.

Find of a cross between Ancients and Aschen? Much more diabolical. Especially if it puts the teams that see the problem on the outs with the government. Would then make sense to have mostly aliens on the team.

Rogue SG-1 would sure be different. I'd have enjoyed.
            Exactly. On the one side the Ori manipulating the galaxy, on the other the Ancients, another side would be the Nox wanting to prevent war, also the Asgard who don't want their hopes for the future lost, and finally the remaining System Lords gathered under the old Ba'al trying to convince everyone to join him.
            Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Well, you can't send the exec producer to the "how come?" room so we get the Ori. Like the ascended, they were more interesting when we only saw them once or twice. Once they started making it a main storyline the mystery was gone and so also any interest I had in them.

I agree that the Vorlons & Shadows were waay more interesting. And they stayed interesting even as we learned more about them.

I know TPTB said that with the Goau'ld basically defeated they needed a new enemy. I also know there were remarks on commentaries that the Goa'uld were over the top bad guys and somewhat laughable. I think their *outfits* were sometimes laughable and as I think Daniel said they were "posturing egomaniacs" but bottom line, they were ruthless bad guys. Ba'al at his prime in Abyss was downright chilling.

Actually the chaos caused by the fall of the System Lords could have given rise to any number of enemies in the galaxy. Who fills the power vacuum? Lucien Alliance? Renegade Jaffa? They tried those a bit, but I think more could have been done and would have been more interesting. Also they would have been enemies SG1 could have battled without "magic" solutions.

What if it was Teal'c calling on SG1 to re-form to help him with the Jaffa situation at the start of S9? You can bet Sam and Daniel would come to his aid any time, any place.
              Last edited by jckfan55; 28 May 2009, 10:22 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thank you. It would make far more sense seeing as that Earth's the most powerful force in the galaxy at the end of S8.

That's an understatement. The whole Vorlon-Shadow stuff was great. Both sides were equally manipulative and actually had representatives that did a good job.
                Mr. Morden was way better than the whole prior/doci mess. You could agree with him based on what he said and how he promoted it. You have a problem and he offers to help you. A goal? No problem, he'll help you.

And what about the Psi Corps, manipulating Earth's government behind the screens? Bester was a perfect representative. You might hate the guy, but you had to admit he was cultured and had class.

The priors and Doci just bored me to death. While Mr. Morden was charming and could convince you the Ori reps. were boring and pathetic. No manipulation, just lame death threats. I've read children's books with more depth to the characters.

Exactly. On the one side the Ori manipulating the galaxy, on the other the Ancients, another side would be the Nox wanting to prevent war, also the Asgard who don't want their hopes for the future lost, and finally the remaining System Lords gathered under the old Ba'al trying to convince everyone to join him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, people will do what you want if you can convince them, not force them. And then we have the Ori.

Oh yeah, I'd have watched and enjoyed that last paragraph. Assuming Mitchell wasn't leading and Vala was a real, toned down character.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                  It was like being on a roller coaster. At times I thought, "ok, she's going to be ok" and then it was back to "fun." You know, given her back story--freed by the Tok'ra but then punished by the people for the deeds of Quetesh, on the run etc., there was a lot they could have done with her. I know her fans say her behavior was a defense mechanism but if so, let's see that point actually developed.

And as with Mitchell, if you're going to add her to the *team* let's actually see her relationship with the *team* not just one member of it. Integrate the newbie into the team you've got. Don't try to "make room" for the original team around the new "fun" character.
                  Amazing how fun the new fun characters... weren't.

I never objected to humor in Stargate earlier. I wouldn't have objected later on if humor had been the result of solid writing, not character assassination.
                  sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                  May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                    Amazing how fun the new fun characters... weren't.

I never objected to humor in Stargate earlier. I wouldn't have objected later on if humor had been the result of solid writing, not character assassination.
                    You're right. The earlier humor was intelligent, in S9&10 we got base sexual humor, teammates sniping at eachother and Cam running around without his pants. What are we, 5th graders? I take that back, even my 5th grader isn't amused by that stuff.
                    sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
                      You're right. The earlier humor was intelligent, in S9&10 we got base sexual humor, teammates sniping at eachother and Cam running around without his pants. What are we, 5th graders? I take that back, even my 5th grader isn't amused by that stuff.
                      You mean they simulated a real life 4chan or internet forum?
                      Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

It took me awhile to get that.
                        sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Agreed. It went from making fun of the situation, to making fun of people. I think I only ever laughed at Vala once, and it was a joke made at Daniel's expense. Most of the time I just felt uncomfortable.

Not really. It would've been a natural evolution of SG-1 and it would've shown that Earth is taking its place in the universe, going from a mostly military team to a team of explorers and diplomats.
                          I don't know that I would have liked this scenario.

The stargate on earth was always a military operation and one of my favorite aspects of the show was the dichotomy between military and civilian, the basic idealogical differences between Jack and Daniel, or Sam and Daniel.

I always thought the contradictory qualities between these characters was what made the show work so well.
                          Originally posted by Callista
                          Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                          Originally posted by HPMom
                          She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

I'd have certainly liked it better than what we got.
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Well, that's true.

A root canal would have been better than what we got.
                              Originally posted by Callista
                              Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                              Originally posted by HPMom
                              She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

It took me awhile to get that.
                                I'm still missing something. 4chan?
                                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Working...
                                X