• Time
  • Show
Clear All

they're well on thier way
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
      On the iditoic statement "key person involved in kind of re-energizing the show..." RE-ENERGIZED - is he kidding (I have to ask again if he, or anyone else at Bridge, ever realizes how stupid he sounds) did he not see the fall in ratings throughout the season - did he not see that they came nowhere near the 2.3s and 2.4s S8 got, did he not see that the last 2 eps of S9 (1.8 and 1.9) did not even bring back the same number of people who watched the first few eps (2.1s), did he not see the continued disappointment and anger about Carter having her sole leadership taken away from her and the screwed-up mess they made there (it is a real problem as it will not die out - the poll now has Carter up to 472 to 193) and it is going strong - people are not forgetting about it, giving up on it or accepting it - the leadership debacle sucks and they know it andit is one of their biggest problems in S9, id he not notcie that many, many people think mitchell is a terrible character who has not earned and does not deserve his co-lead position, did he not notcie that many people think mitchell and his backstory was a contrived mess, etc., etc.

Let him claim he was the key person this way he will take the blame for the downfall and cancellation of this "new" and "re-energized" piece of cr@p.
      Or maybe he DOES see and that is why he's saying that, even if the show tanks in season 10, he won't be too upset because everything is just icing on the cake now.

What he's probably setting himself up to say is that, when the show gets cancelled, it won't be his fault because he tried to "re-energize" a tired, old show (sarcasm again abounds), and it just couldn't be done, it was too far gone...yada yada yada...nausea abounds.
      "With all due respect, sir"......we're all due some respect.

Comment

probably. if it dies, well it was its time. we exceeded our expectations because, you know, for the past 5 years, every season has been a bonus. we set a record adn had a great time doing it and....all's good and light in the world

conveniently forgetting the 'oh, this show coudl go on for 20 years' spin they were doing a couple of years ago

and it could....but someone else needs to be in charge of it

sigpic

Comment

I think I am getting tired of the whole "new show" excuse or explaination--however one wants to see it.

I am not sure how much if any real thought prevailed when RDA left and the chains that bound where lifted. They where kids cut loose in a candy store, left to do whatever they wanted to.

Boy did they do it!

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
            I think I am getting tired of the whole "new show" excuse or explaination--however one wants to see it.

I am not sure how much if any real thought prevailed when RDA left and the chains that bound where lifted. They where kids cut loose in a candy store, left to do whatever they wanted to.

Boy did they do it!
            i dunno i think bull in the china shop is a better analogy.
            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

There is a very good reason that most shows quit while they're ahead. Sure, shows like ST:TNG quit after 7 seasons. They had the rateings to go on but choose to end the show. SG1 was really only designed to go 6 seasons they pushed the story to 8, and were then told to keep going. It's only natural that somethig like this would happen. I still like the show and plan on watching it, but creativity is obviously hit or miss with people. I think that "The ultamate Night of Scifi EVER" did so well for the Network that first year they tried it-that they just can't give it up.
              Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
                i dunno i think bull in the china shop is a better analogy.
                That's an insult to bulls. Even they would have a bit more grace and maturity, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  That's an insult to bulls. Even they would have a bit more grace and maturity, methinks.
                  bows to the wisdom of the Shadow-who knows!

sersiously though-the way they go charging through things with no direction or reason-you wonder what they are thinking right now.
                  i sure voted for the Dallas option for season 10-but -as you can see -=they chose to continue .
                  Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    that's a large part of my issues with the ori

i already live in a world where folks want to kill me simply because i worship the wrong god or dress wrong or talk wrong or act wrong

i don't appreciate having that bit of reality pushed into my entertainment.

I already understand the extremist mindset. they're right, we're wrong, we should die. plain and simple.

There is nothing left to understand with the ori. They're religious extremists tat practice genocide in the name of religion. and coop is right in that, you CAN'T win. so if you can't win, what the hades are we doing portraying them on tv? if our heroes can't win, then why bother???? There's no goal for us to accomplish, it's impossible unless we turn a 180 and murder every single Ori and every one of htier followers

we Can't win, so why waste a whole season dealing with it????

unless he's trying to score some 'bold new move' points with some reviewer, the ori are stupic and they do nothing more than to bring home the sheer futility that all of us live in in a daily basis
                    Thank you! The Ori and their followers as villians are far too real-life for me to enjoy, and I would prefer not to have them invade my few hours of escapism, as well. Seeing them on screen just causes me to be frustrated in the same way I get frustrated every day reading the editorial pages in my local newspaper. And sorry, but being frustrated is not fun. Perhaps it will be a bit cathartic once SG-1 figures out a way to defeat them. But even then, the unreality of whatever defeat they may concoct will be so utterly unbelievable that I dare say it won't be particularly satisfying. There will still be terrorists on earth who want to blow people up, and I will still be living in a world where many people consider homosexuals to be responsible for Hurricane Katrina, etc., etc., etc.

Even as a metaphor, the Ori fail, because whatever means are ultimately used to defeat them on the show, there is no way to defeat their counterparts here on earth. Religious extremism has existed for as long as humanity has worshipped gods, and it isn't going away anytime soon. Unfortunately, the people who might appreciate and understand the metaphor being presented on the show are probably not the people who might benefit from the message presented. TPTB aren't revealing anything new to me, nor, I dare say, to most of their audience. Religious extremists are not likely to be big fans of science fiction and the open-mindedness that is necessary to appreciate it.

Choosing religious extremists as the villians may be topical, but it's not very creative, and I personally don't find it very entertaining.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                      Choosing religious extremists as the villians may be topical, but it's not very creative, and I personally don't find it very entertaining.
                      that and, the only way to defeat them is to become them...ie kill all the beleivers

zealots do not change. We have thousands of years of human history to prove that.

what we could do when we were fighting your garden vareity goauld was keep the moral high ground...we can't do that here. there is no high ground

there is just death, destruction and more death

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        the only way to beat the ori is to become the ori...or to recruit someone to be the ori - ie kill every single one of them

If they're gonna take the 'oh, now we see the light, thank you sg1 for showing us the error of our ways' and have all the followers convert away from the ori....well he knows even less about what he's doing than i though he did.

zealots do NOT change. tis the nature of the beast
                        Maybe that's the contraversial Daniel Arc that they've kept hushed up. Daniel crosses over since he is able to show resistance in having his mind probed by Adria. This way he can gather intel while pretending or while actually becoming a Prior. And finds a way to go to the Orii galaxy to get them to revolt. Vala becomes his replacement on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                          Any they are aware that not everybody who watches the show is a frat boy?
                          Most frat boys wouldn't be watching Stargate on a friday night. They would be too drunk or in the process of finding a potential mate to care about watching the show. They have forgotten their audiance and are writing out their impossible fantacies. Getting with a hot chick in tight leather, being an airforce piolet that is looking for a new chick at every gate address. Sticking it to the popular people by embarrising them, and writing in snark comments to degrade their status. I wonder if RCC realizes that he's not in high school anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            I think re-Energize means to change the batteries in the mechanical parrot that says, "Coop, you're a genius!" "Stargate is better than ever!" "Vala is funny!" and so on and so forth.
                            I bet he has a magic eight ball in his desk that he consults whenever he comes up with a new idea. However the magic eight ball's sole comments are: Fantastic! Brilliant! You're a genius! That works perfectly! Keep up the amazing work! Smart and handsome!

Comment

I guess we're all lucky. Today on General Hospital Tristan Rodgers reprised his role as Robert Scorpio and a few weeks ago Rick Springfield too.

At least RDA hasn't decided to opt for the same thing. not that we know of.

Comment

cool, then they'll tick off the daniel/slash fans as much as they have the shippers

maybe that's the ultimate goal, to se ehow much of the fandom they can alienate at once

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X