S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    Although given the way they dropped the whole Jolinar angle, it seems awfully convenient for that to come back. And the people who might have been new viewers wouldn't know that. Apparently they also cut a scene where Sam and Martouf talk about her having killed him. That might have set up the being overwhelmed by Jolinar's feelings idea better.
    Yeah, it's much more likely that the writers never intended that to be a reference to Jolinar, but thank goodness for wishful thinking.

Originally posted by Callista View Post
    Anyway, after ten years and oodles of writers and producers and directors and several cast changes and a change of networks, there were many canon things that were changed or forgotten along the line. Heck! Many canon things got changed or forgotten after just a few years.
    While I agree canon is bound to get changed or forgotten after so long (ala Jacob's 4 years in Threads or the 3 shots for a zat), I don't think that really applies to the Sam/Martouf scene from Ripple Effect. A running theme in that episode was all the references as to who Sam was with in the AUs, and a running theme that season seemed to be trying to ship Sam with as many guys as possible (Barrett, Orlin, Martouf, and kinda Mitchell).

So I think even if the writers remembered how Sam and Martouf relationship was actually shown as, it probably wouldn't have stopped them from writing that scene.

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
    You know, you're absolutely right. Both ATs and AUs always have a divergence point, making them basically the same thing.

Then again, maybe not all AUs have a divergence point as much as a fundamental difference in the laws of physics, or something. That's the one truly solid difference I can think of.

ATs and AUs are basically the same, but only ATs are created and sustained within our reality, if that makes any sense.
    According to multiverse theory, AUs and ATs are essentially the same, since when a person goes back or forward in time they are actually going to a parallel universe. It's basically how you can theoretically get around the grandfather paradox. So everytime SG-1 travelled through time, they ended up in a parallel universe that was either almost identical to their own (1969, 2010) or with small differences (Moebius, Continuum).

sigpic

Comment

It would be an alternate timeline, not an alternate universe.
      Originally posted by KatG View Post
      But really what is an alternate universe, but and alternate timeline?
      You know, you're absolutely right. Both ATs and AUs always have a divergence point, making them basically the same thing.

Then again, maybe not all AUs have a divergence point as much as a fundamental difference in the laws of physics, or something. That's the one truly solid difference I can think of.

ATs and AUs are basically the same, but only ATs are created and sustained within our reality, if that makes any sense.
      I thought AT was Amanda Tapping. You mean there is more than one of her? and who is this AU person anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
        According to multiverse theory, AUs and ATs are essentially the same, since when a person goes back or forward in time they are actually going to a parallel universe. It's basically how you can theoretically get around the grandfather paradox. So everytime SG-1 travelled through time, they ended up in a parallel universe that was either almost identical to their own (1969, 2010) or with small differences (Moebius, Continuum).
        That's kind of what I thougt. Thanks.

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
        I thought AT was Amanda Tapping. You mean there is more than one of her? and who is this AU person anyway?

Glad I'm not the only one picturing multiple Amanda Tappings.
        sigpic

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one picturing multiple Amanda Tappings.
          Look no further than this scene in "Ripple Effect"...
          Spoiler:
          sigpic
          Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

But really what is an alternate universe, but and alternate timeline?
            In the theory, and particularly the way they are used in Stargate, they are interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
              Hey, that works for me! And you know what? In Continuum they changed it back again, conveniently placing S9 & s10 out of our current timeline, forever. That totally explains the giant gaping hole in my DVD collection- like Vala and Teal'c, once the timeline changed, they vanished.
              hey, that works for me. Or we've been following an AU SG1 in S9 &10. In the "real" one, Sam's in command, Mitchell's a major, Vala either never existed or at least never came into the contact with SG1, Daniel never had the weird personality change...you get the idea. [and Harriman was seen no more than in the early seasons]

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                Hey, that works for me! And you know what? In Continuum they changed it back again, conveniently placing S9 & s10 out of our current timeline, forever. That totally explains the giant gaping hole in my DVD collection- like Vala and Teal'c, once the timeline changed, they vanished.
                Mine too. My DVD collection ends with S8, skips S9/S10 and Ark of Truth, and picks back up with Continuum.

hey, that works for me. Or we've been following an AU SG1 in S9 &10. In the "real" one, Sam's in command, Mitchell's a major, Vala either never existed or at least never came into the contact with SG1, Daniel never had the weird personality change...you get the idea. [and Harriman was seen no more than in the early seasons]
                I'm liking the "real" timeline very much.
                sigpic

Comment

I like this idea A LOT! Although I could see Vala in a few episodes here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    I like this idea A LOT! Although I could see Vala in a few episodes here and there.

As long as everyone wasn't written out of character to accomodate her presence, I could enjoy her used sparingly as well.
                    Originally posted by Callista
                    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                    Originally posted by HPMom
                    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Mine too. My DVD collection ends with S8, skips S9/S10 and Ark of Truth, and picks back up with Continuum.

I'm liking the "real" timeline very much.
                      <<eyeballs KatG suspiciously>> CopyKatG!

I've always assumed that S9/S10 were AUs anyway. As "our" SG-1 was killed in Ancient Egypt. As soon as there was a fish iin Jack's pond it was over.

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Interchangable brains again.

I still can't believe how annoyed I get when I see him. All because the actor did a few too many commentaries that had nearly nothing to do with the eps.

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          <<eyeballs KatG suspiciously>> CopyKatG!
                          suse
                          I would green you for that, but the fridge is empty at the moment.
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe we shoud start a new thread, for all those who aren't in love with Walter?

It's strange though, I can't stand Walter but I have nothing against Siler. Probably because he was never so front and center.

I watched Babylon tonight. I didn't remember it at all, so I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to refresh my memory..what can I say, it wasn't.

Are there really people out there who think there was a "team" in season 9?
                            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                            sigpic
                            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                              Maybe we shoud start a new thread, for all those who aren't in love with Walter?

It's strange though, I can't stand Walter but I have nothing against Siler. Probably because he was never so front and center.

I watched Babylon tonight. I didn't remember it at all, so I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to refresh my memory..what can I say, it wasn't.

Can't remember what happened. Is sure it was painful to watch. 'Nuff said.

Team? What is this of which you speak?

I like Siler too.

I had enough of Walter counting chevron's quite a while back. More story please!

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Which one was that? I haven't been able to make myself re-watch S9 or S10. You're a brave soul for giving it a shot.

TWT?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X