S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
    Objectively, anything can be good. That being said, things are only as objective as you yourself can be, which as humans, is not very objective at all. Humans are predisposed to be subjective, our personal feelings, prejudices, and interpretations are always going to come in to play.

Metaphysics and philosophy make my brain hurt.
    "There are no facts, only interpretations." Nietzsche
    The situation seemed to call for Nietzche.
    sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
      I know it's not technically objective, but what I mean is that it's an outside observer with no experience in Stargate SG-1 before the final two seasons giving them praise. We're both more biased, so to speak.
      A sample of one.

Comment

I know it's not technically objective, but what I mean is that it's an outside observer with no experience in Stargate SG-1 before the final two seasons giving them praise. We're both more biased, so to speak.
        Oh my. I agree with you. And the sky hasn't fallen.
        Had I never seen previous seasons and not known the continuity/canonical errors, shortcuts and mistakes the TPTB were making I might have liked the show. It's doubtful, but possible.

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
        "There are no facts, only interpretations." Nietzsche
        The situation seemed to call for Nietzche.
        Seriously, Nietzche's On the Genealogy of Morality made me want to kill myself in college.
        Originally posted by Callista
        Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
        Originally posted by HPMom
        She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Who can argue with that? Doesn't that somewhat objectively prove that 9 and 10 were good?

Just not as good as the other seasons to you, I guess.
          Nope, it doesn't. As you just said, good is a subjective term.

What I meant to say is I can see *others* enjoying it. Me? I think the EarlyS9 Vala character would have put me off in any case.

Not knowing Sam had lead the team would have helped.

I forgot allaobut the Ori. No, enjoy is too strong a word. WAYYYYY too strong.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth (and that's probably all it's worth), but I think it could be just as likely that somebody who only came into Stargate at Season 9 and hadn't seen any previous seasons wouldn't like the series. It works both ways. There are those that would like it and those that wouldn't. It's all in the eye of the beholder ... so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              Just throwing in my 2 cents worth (and that's probably all it's worth), but I think it could be just as likely that somebody who only came into Stargate at Season 9 and hadn't seen any previous seasons wouldn't like the series. It works both ways. There are those that would like it and those that wouldn't. It's all in the eye of the beholder ... so to speak.
              Which is completely the reason that philosophical/metaphysical/objective/subjetive arguments get you exactly no where (and make your head hurt).

Might be why I could never get into the Oma Desala character. Every time she talked, all I heard was: There is no spoon.
              Originally posted by Callista
              Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
              Originally posted by HPMom
              She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Which is completely the reason that philosophical/metaphysical/objective/subjetive arguments get you exactly no where (and make your head hurt).

Might be why I could never get into the Oma Desala character. Every time she talked, all I heard was: There is no spoon.

<<GIGGLESNORT>>

She was more confusing than Kosh. At least his answers made sense by the time the series (Babyon 5) ended.

And there I was hoping that her character wrestling with Anubis would be the end of the Milky Way ascended beings.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  <<GIGGLESNORT>>

She was more confusing than Kosh. At least his answers made sense by the time the series (Babyon 5) ended.

suse
                  I watched the first disc of season 1 of Babylon 5. I didn't really like it, it seemed too stiff to me. I didn't like the commander. The only character I really liked in those first few episodes was Garibaldi. Did it get better? I'm always looking for more good scifi to watch. Maybe I gave up on it too soon.

Comment

I watched the first disc of season 1 of Babylon 5. I didn't really like it, it seemed too stiff to me. I didn't like the commander. The only character I really liked in those first few episodes was Garibaldi. Did it get better? I'm always looking for more good scifi to watch. Maybe I gave up on it too soon.
                    OT (GUSHING ALERT!):

Spoiler:
                    OMG! Some of the first season is pretty stiff. You need to watch all of it because what you think it a throw away ep comes back and bited them in their collective butts. It gets better. By the time S2 starts... Wow.

My favorite characters are G'Kar and Londo.

Heartwrending.

The man can't do romance. Just ignore it and concentrate on the story. Wow. Just... wow.

yes, I am a Babylon-oholic. And proud of it!

Odd. The enemy (one of many) on B5 doesn't show up as much as the Ori. Yet the enemy is totally menacing/chilling. Unlike said priors.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I never understood that part in Stargate, or the Matrix.

"There is no spoon." *Elevator explodes underneath them for no reason at all.*

Something like "If you don't know how long the candle was burning, the meal was cooked a long time ago." Which is really funny if you think about it.

Comment

Yeah, personally I think you gave up too soon. OT :
                        Spoiler:
                        It was a 5 year story with intertwining stories and sub themes. First season did a lot of setup, my personal favourite seasons are 3 and 4, 5 stunk, Season 2 was good and Season 1 showed a lot promise. B5 is my all time fave sci-fi series so far.

Like suse I think that B5 pulled off the imposing and powerful enemy that Stargate didn't manage with the Ori. One of the reasons I think that happened is because under the dubious leadership of Coop attention to detail and canon was thrown out the window and trite, superficial, not well thought out plots were used instead.
                        -

Comment

Oh you definitely need to keep watching. S1 sets up a lot of what happens later, and boy does a lot happen later. It was quite possibly one of the best scifi series ever made.

And to make this OT: S9/S10 could have taken lessons from Straczinsky on how to make a menacing villain.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                            Yeah, personally I think you gave up too soon. OT :
                            Spoiler:
                            It was a 5 year story with intertwining stories and sub themes. First season did a lot of setup, my personal favourite seasons are 3 and 4, 5 stunk, Season 2 was good and Season 1 showed a lot promise. B5 is my all time fave sci-fi series so far.

Like suse I think that B5 pulled off the imposing and powerful enemy that Stargate didn't manage with the Ori. One of the reasons I think that happened is because under the dubious leadership of Coop attention to detail and canon was thrown out the window and trite, superficial, not well thought out plots were used instead.
                            I agree with RoX except:
                            Spoiler:
                            I like B5 S2 & S3 the best. S3 was the strongest, for sure.

Especially about the lack of attention to details and canon. And superficiality. Oh. And the not well-thought out plots.

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                              Oh you definitely need to keep watching. S1 sets up a lot of what happens later, and boy does a lot happen later. It was quite possibly one of the best scifi series ever made.

And to make this OT: S9/S10 could have taken lessons from Straczinsky on how to make a menacing villain.
                              Oh, yeah! (And on other stuff too.)

<<wanders off mumbling about keeping the characters true to themselves>>

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                                I agree with RoX except:
                                Spoiler:
                                I like B5 S2 & S3 the best. S3 was the strongest, for sure.
                                OT :
                                Spoiler:
                                Yeah, I agree. S3 was the best

Especially about the lack of attention to details and canon. And superficiality. Oh. And the not well-thought out plots.
                                Oh! And I forgot to add - making the characters act out of character or lose 100 IQ points to make a stupid plot point work
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X