Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
    Exactly what is that supposed to mean?
    That you are off on the wrong tangent. Nobody said anything about Atlantis, actually Kat was talking about RCC wanting to do Stargate Command and Skiffy not letting him. And there is a lot of evidence from interviews to support what Kat said.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      That you are off on the wrong tangent. Nobody said anything about Atlantis, actually Kat was talking about RCC wanting to do Stargate Command and Skiffy not letting him. And there is a lot of evidence from interviews to support what Kat said.
      Well, you're right... I assumed "new show" meant Atlantis, since I didn't see anything to imply otherwise. So apparently I am confused. And now, I don't even understand the original comment. I don't see how a possible name change to "Stargate Command" would imply that they weren't interested in SG-1 or their characters. But I'm assuming this is just going to be a point where we have to agree to disagree.
      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

/Me is relieved. I thought I missed someone. It wouldn't be the first time.

This oughta answer a few questions...
        Coop in Avalon commentary:
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26733
        Spoiler:

RC: …even though he’s got a name, says: “Welcome to Stargate Command.”
        This was supposed to be the pilot for a new show. And quite frankly, it doesn’t really matter.

AM: Yeah, it’s still a wonderful thing.

RC: An opportunity to reinvent the show.
        We spent a lot of energy creating Stargate Atlantis… and in the process of that realized that we were really tired of trying to end SG-1. If no one else was gonna notice that we had ended it three years in the row and we were gonna stop doing that. And so we decided with what felt like the end of the chapter with, you know… Richard Dean Anderson essentially leaving the show… it was an opportunity to reinvent the series. The Goa’uld had been defeated, the Replicators had been defeated. So we needed to start fresh.

Later
        Spoiler:
        :
        RC: And it also, essentially, saved us from having to create what could have been a contrived or phoney situation in which Mitchell comes in in the first episode and does something incredibly heroic that makes you think: “Oh, isn’t he a great hero?” Well, he’s already done that thing. That’s why he’s here. We’re just gonna flashback to it and show you the natural progression that led to this moment, which is, everybody knows, Colonel Mitchell is – He did something special. The mystery in this episode is what was that special thing that he did.

Dude! He crashed his jet! Others were just as/more brave. Mostly just dead. Hammond was going to use the Prometheus to blow up the mothership! That was bravery.

suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Well, you're right... I assumed "new show" meant Atlantis, since I didn't see anything to imply otherwise. So apparently I am confused. And now, I don't even understand the original comment. I don't see how a possible name change to "Stargate Command" would imply that they weren't interested in SG-1 or their characters. But I'm assuming this is just going to be a point where we have to agree to disagree.
          It wasn't about a name change - Stargate Command was going to be a different show. Maybe you should go and find out a bit more about what occurred between seasons 8 & 9 and what TPTB had originally planned to do and then jump back into the discussion.

Of course I'm also willing to just
          -

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            /Me is relieved. I thought I missed someone. It wouldn't be the first time.

This oughta answer a few questions...
            Coop in Avalon commentary:
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26733
            Spoiler:

Later
            Spoiler:
            :

Dude! He crashed his jet! Others were just as/more brave. Mostly just dead. Hammond was going to use the Prometheus to blow up the mothership! That was bravery.

suse
            No! No! Suse! No RCC quotes!! The blood pressure!!!!

Amongst the many things that RCC didn't appear to get is that it is actually a bad thing to try and make the inexperienced and unqualified newbie into a bigger hero than the ones you already have ESPECIALLY by trying to steal the real heroes thunder

MOH - do NOT get me started!!!
            -

Comment

Amongst the many things that RCC didn't appear to get is that it is actually a bad thing to try and make the inexperienced and unqualified newbie into a bigger hero than the ones you already have ESPECIALLY by trying to steal the real heroes thunder

I didn't even mention it! <<headdesk>>

suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Like RoX said, it wasn't going to be just a change in name. TPTB knowingly decided to end Stargate: SG-1 at the end of Season 8. During hiatus, they started to draw up plans to start a brand new spin-off called "Stargate Command" b/c they had enjoyed the freshness of doing SGA the year before and had to make changes to accommodate RDA leaving and AT's maternity leave. With the spin-off, they planned to keep the same crew, same sets, many of the same characters and actors, and bring in some new actors to replace the ones that were no longer going to be around.

The only two main characters that they were going to keep were Daniel and Teal'c b/c RDA was leaving and AT was having a baby. They wanted to bring in CB and BB from the start to supposedly replace RDA and AT. Sci-Fi Channel objected b/c they wanted to keep the "SG-1" name going and they objected to CB joining full-time b/c they thought it would be weird to have both lead actors from Farscape on the same show. So instead of coming up with a completely new show, they revamped the old one. I have no idea what was supposed to happen with Sam/AT, but apparently they didn't originally intend to have her in the spin-off - at least not full-time.

It seems to me that TPTB were tired with some of the elements of the SG-1 show and were very happy and excited about the idea of starting something new.

By the way, all of this came right from TPTB and actors in interviews and the Illustrated Companion for Season 9. I am not speculating here. I am finding the Season 9 Companion to be a baffling but disturbingly fascinating read right now.

Comment

It wasn't about a name change - Stargate Command was going to be a different show. Maybe you should go and find out a bit more about what occurred between seasons 8 & 9 and what TPTB had originally planned to do and then jump back into the discussion.

Of course I'm also willing to just
                  I sincerely apologize to Kat for misunderstanding her comment, and to the thread in general for causing some confusion.

I do know about the plans for Stargate Command (for the record, I've been in this fandom since before season 8 premiered), but I clearly have a different interpretation of the comments that have been cited from TPTB. So, with my apologies made, I'll leave you to continue your discussion.
                  Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                  Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                    Like RoX said, it wasn't going to be just a change in name. ..
                    The only two main characters that they were going to keep were Daniel and Teal'c b/c RDA was leaving and AT was having a baby. They wanted to bring in CB and BB from the start to supposedly replace RDA and AT. Sci-Fi Channel objected b/c they wanted to keep the "SG-1" name going and they objected to CB joining full-time b/c they thought it would be weird to have both lead actors from Farscape on the same show. So instead of coming up with a completely new show, they revamped the old one. I have no idea what was supposed to happen with Sam/AT, but apparently they didn't originally intend to have her in the spin-off - at least not full-time.

It seems to me that TPTB were tired with some of the elements of the SG-1 show and were very happy and excited about the idea of starting something new.

By the way, all of this came right from TPTB and actors in interviews and the Illustrated Companion for Season 9. I am not speculating here. I am finding the Season 9 Companion to be a baffling but disturbingly fascinating read right now.
                    Right. It seems to have been a weird compromise. They kept SG1 going as SciFi (and much of the audience wanted) but tried to change things to as much like Stargate Command as they could.

Comment

I don't understand this point of view at all. How did Mitchell's background of doing something heroic to save SG-1 in one particular moment in time steal the thunder from the original SG-1 team members? I don't get that at all. SG-1 has had millions of moments to shine and be recognized for being great. Why is it that when Mitchell's good deed is mentioned, he's stealing the thunder from others.

Isn't it likely that a lot of people were recognized for doing something heroic in that battle, but we only heard about Mitchell becuase he was the focus at the moment in that ep at the beginning of Season 9? That's how I understood it.

And I have no idea how he was made into a bigger hero at all. He was just a hero, same as SG-1 has been heros many times in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
                        I don't understand this point of view at all. How did Mitchell's background of doing something heroic to save SG-1 in one particular moment in time steal the thunder from the original SG-1 team members? I don't get that at all. SG-1 has had millions of moments to shine and be recognized for being great. Why is it that when Mitchell's good deed is mentioned, he's stealing the thunder from others.

Isn't it likely that a lot of people were recognized for doing something heroic in that battle, but we only heard about Mitchell becuase he was the focus at the moment in that ep at the beginning of Season 9? That's how I understood it.

And I have no idea how he was made into a bigger hero at all. He was just a hero, same as SG-1 has been heros many times in the show.
                        For starters - MOH
                        For seconds - SG-1 & Hammond saved the day not Mitchell and yet we're now supposed to believe that the inexperienced and unqualified noob is really the one who saved the day (by getting shot down no less)

No Mitchell isn't a hero - he's a reckless idiot who doesn't deserve to wear the uniform.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post

Sorry RoX....

Congressional Medal of Honor. No one else was mentioned as getting one; excepting the Civil War awards they aren't handed out like candy. Now perhaps SG-1 (with the exception of O'Neill - I'd call getting his head stuffed worthy, knowing it would likely kill him) weren't "heroic" enough - though as it's a military medal only Sam and O'Neill would be eligible - but a strong case could be made for Hammond when he tried to ram the Goa'uld ship.

Mitchell? Dude flew a jet. One of dozens who did - and got shot down. Heroic? Sure, but not enough to promise him any spot at the SGC. As soon as Hammond ordered "Protect SG-1 at all costs"(one would assume that includes with your life) the CMoH went out the window.

IIRC SG-1 were last recognized for being great in Family. Other than that they got a "good job" and they went on. Mitchell suffered from "Hey! Isn't he a great character!!"!-itis. Show me (and not is the team loving him and shoehorn!him!in! flashbacks), don't tell me. Except what they showed me in S9 (and somewhat in S10) wasn't a hero, it was a man who couldn't control his emotions under pressure.

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            Sorry RoX....
                            iz Ok, I kinda mentioned it first
                            -

Comment

Did you know that the MOH the medal that shall not be named comes with several special entitlements?

Each awardee is entitled to:
                              • receive the special pension of $1069.00 per month.

• special entitlements to air transportation under the provisions of DOD Regulation 4515.13-R.

• an identification card, commissary and exchange privileges for recipients and their eligible dependents.

• The children of recipients are eligible for admission to the U.S. Service Academies without regard to the quota requirements.

• a ten percent increase in retired pay under Title 10, USC 3991, subject to the 75% limit on total retired pay.

I had no idea that so much came with this award. I guess it just goes to show how important an honor it is.

Comment

For starters - MOH
                                For seconds - SG-1 & Hammond saved the day not Mitchell and yet we're now supposed to believe that the inexperienced and unqualified noob is really the one who saved the day (by getting shot down no less)

No Mitchell isn't a hero - he's a reckless idiot who doesn't deserve to wear the uniform.
                                Okay, first of all, don't call him an idiot. That's disrespectful and against forum rools. Also, I find the term "noob" to be disrespectful as well. He's a lt. colonel. The very fact that he has that title means he's not a green soldier who never commanded before. The title automatically means he has experience. Does he have the specific gate experience that the rest of the team has? No, obviously not. But that doesn't mean he's an idiot or a noob (whatever that means -- I assume it's a gaming term that means newbie).

Secondly, whoever said Mitchell "saved the day"? I don't remember hearing that on the show. I think you're jumping to conclusions here. I just remember that Mitchell did something heroic, but the specifics weren't mentioned. I found the battle way too confusing and vague to understand exactly what Mitchell did in that battle. Since everyone on SG-1 thanked him for the job he did and since Jack offered him any position he wanted, I think it's safe to assume that he did something pretty darn heroic.

Though I agree that the medal of honor was over the top. It's not anymore over the top than the praise that Carter has gotten over the years.

Comment

Working...
                                X