No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He went on to mention that the age of adria is remarkable in that it is the same as the demographic they are targeting
    Oh...gawd. /me drops her head to her desk and begins to sob.

It's the death of all hope.

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

wait, wait, there's still hope. she MIGHT not run around in a cat suit or fall victim to the 'all female villians MUST be slinkily sexy'
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
        He went on to mention that the age of adria is remarkable in that it is the same as the demographic they are targeting.
        He is aware that technically Adria will be less than a year old by season's end, right? I don't see the character maturing emotionally as fast as she will physically and - with any luck - mentally.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
          Oh...gawd. /me drops her head to her desk and begins to sob.

It's the death of all hope.

Albion
          yep

Comment

oh, she may be a year old, but all indications i've read indicate that she's walking, talking, aware and fully cognizant in no time

as to emotions, well i'll leave that up to you to decide, but
            Spoiler:
            from what i've read she's a cold blooded card carrying member of thie Ori who kills and resurrects with little to no emotion or care or morals about what she's doing.

sociopath in the name of religion

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              Actually, it's not Ask Matt. Matt Roush is the top dog, who rarely has anything to say about the SGs, unless he's using them as a segue into his fanboi fawning discussion about teh Wonder that is BSG or the two actors from Farscape. Valid points, sure, but I don't really give a crap about what that guy says most of the time.

Ausiello, otoh, is the one who answered that question. He's cool. If you click on his tab "Ask Ausiello," there's a way for you to check out his weekly archives. He updates every Wednesday, so you'll probably need to go back two or three weeks. Hope that helps!
              Nuts - no wonder I could not find it!! I was starting to think I was crazy. Thanks for clearing this up spaz.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                Spoiler:
                Another take by TIIC on modern day religion I guess

Comment

oh, she may be a year old, but all indications i've read indicate that she's walking, talking, aware and fully cognizant in no time

as to emotions, well i'll leave that up to you to decide, but
                  Spoiler:
                  from what i've read she's a cold blooded card carrying member of thie Ori who kills and resurrects with little to no emotion or care or morals about what she's doing.

If we are lucky she will be like Retu Charlie and have serious health issues.
                  Spoiler:
                  croak
                  sigpic
                  Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                  My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                    If we are lucky she will be like Retu Charlie and have serious health issues.
                    Spoiler:
                    croak
                    probably not until the end of the season...when they need to promote a death to scam ratings

sigpic

Comment

to me, it seems to be a blatant case of 'if i suck up enough maybe i'll get to be on the set' brown nosing
                      When I saw him on the Sci Fi Friday special last summer hamming it up about Stargate SG-1, I about choked. Seriously, it completely rang false, because nearly every one of his SG-1 reviews was negative in some way. Whatever. I guess lame brown-nosers need paychecks, too. I bet TV Guide loved it.

Comment

of course. as far as he was concerned the show sucked....until the farscape gang joined it, then all of a sudden, it was stellar and super and special

very, very transparent

sigpic

Comment

probably not until the end of the season...when they need to promote a death to scam ratings
                          Yeah, except we would actually have to care about her (as with Dr Frasier), and we won't--or I hope we won't anyway....
                          "With all due respect, sir"......we're all due some respect.

Comment

So, reading the Gateworld news article on how the plan for Season 10 is that the Ori force SG-1 'back to square 1', exploring other planets and facing a credible threat rather than the Goa'uld who weren't scary anymore, I found myself getting kind of...angry. And it comes down to this question:

Why aren't, or weren't, the Goa'uld scary?

They had millions of followers, even disregarding the Jaffa, and clearly there were Goa'uld, such as Yu, whose Jaffa would stay loyal to the death, whether they knew them to be a false god or not. They have fifty thousand years of technological accumulation, millennia of knowledge and genetic memory and more experience of battle than the entire US Air Force put together (and it's rubbish to say they hadn't faced a real battle, because they've fought the Asgard).

So why the hell weren't they scary?

Well, they weren't scary because no-one was scared of them. Because the protagonists had stopped being written as scared of them. No-one seems to have seriously worried about the Goa'uld since about Season 6; they just mock them.

The thing is, the Goa'uld always had the technology and the manpower, they just never tried. And they were dumb as rocks and SG-1 got lucky (I'm not sure they really thought their way out of a serious problem from Season 7 onwards). All you would have needed to make the Goa'uld scary was a leader who didn't camp it up in a big cloak, but actually made good plans. Imagine if, in Season 9, Ba'al had been presented as a formidable strategist, using the relicts of Anubis' technological and industrial base to create a small force of advanced ha'taks and kull-armoured Jaffa shock troops who were actually good at what they did. Wouldn't that have been scary? Just imagine it: SG-1 facing Earth's destruction, but there's no superweapon to take out and no exhaust ports to shoot down.

And there are a dozen other ways to make the Goa'uld scarier, none of which involve a superweapon or a mysterious glowing mask. The idea that the Ori are the way to put SG-1 on the back foot again annoyed me because it's so lazy. It's creating the big scary menace by having a man behind the curtain go boogedy-boogedy rather than using what is already there in a different way.

Gah!
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipShape
                              Yeah, except we would actually have to care about her (as with Dr Frasier), and we won't--or I hope we won't anyway....
                              well, that won't matter because they'll likely play the bait and switch. put shark baby injeopardy with vala and make you think that vala gets it....thus whipping the fans into a frenzy 'omg, vala might die!!!!!!!!!!!' and get folks intrigued.

course...you know, for many, the prospect of vala or shark baby getting killed off would be rather....non-angst inspiring

kinda lik CAm, unfortunately.

sigpic

Comment

i agree. the goauld coulda been scary. Ba'al was very evil as he was first presented. he was cold blooded and cruel, and - costuming aside - not campy at all. ANubis on the other hand???? Nuby was a joke.

Replicarter was also a great villian and had potential. HOw do you defeat someone that knows everything you do?

well, they couldn't figure out how so they killed her off. Tehy couldn't figure out how to keep ba'al evil, so they wimped him down and cloned his cute little tush.

Yu, also had potential but he's dead too. so is Nirti - another evil woman.

basically, the only reason the goauld weren't scary is because the writers killed them at the drop of a hat.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X