S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
    Very true, Vala's history does go against her trustworthiness, but they seemed to make such a deal of her being accepted onto SG-1 in the previous episode,
    Yes, well I suppose the writers had to make a big deal out of the team supposedly trusting her because she sure as hell hadn't done anything to earn her place. If fact most of her appearances previously had shown why she shouldn't be acceptable and should be in the brig.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      Yes, well I suppose the writers had to make a big deal out of the team supposedly trusting her because she sure as hell hadn't done anything to earn her place. If fact most of her appearances previously had shown why she shouldn't be acceptable and should be in the brig.
      Con artist work their prey into trusting them before they go in for the kill. I find it stupid that the SGC would even for one moment think they could trust her.

I would have found her character more interesting if she wasn't accepted by the team. She was more of an necessary evil, someone they had to have to accomplish their goal, but never trusted. A Maybourne type character.
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by suse;9616829
        Mitchell also showed his.. less than cool under pressure ... command abilities in Stronghold. [SIZE="1"
        Stronghold and Off The Grid were the end of me even trying to like the character.[/SIZE] He joined the team the one SAM was leading rescuing Teal'c and decided he - the guy who had never been on a Goauld ship before - would be the one to rescue Teal'c.

suse
        That majorly irked me. I mean did he even have the briefing on SAM's plan before he joined them. IIRC he comes into the gateroom at the last second.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          That majorly irked me. I mean did he even have the briefing on SAM's plan before he joined them. IIRC he comes into the gateroom at the last second.
          Yea, to me that's the writers trying to show what a hero he is supposed to be, but it doesn't ring true. I know they said in S9 that SG1 was just a bunch of screw-ups...maybe Cam was showing that aspect?

Makes me miss the days when they would actually plan things and follow plans (even if it was plan B ) Jack would never have allowed anyone to do that under his commmand. It also seems like they gave up on the way they tried to show the characters as 'real' AF officers, and they used to listen to the AF advisors. I don't think they listened much in S9 and 10
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            Yea, to me that's the writers trying to show what a hero he is supposed to be, but it doesn't ring true. I know they said in S9 that SG1 was just a bunch of screw-ups...maybe Cam was showing that aspect?

Makes me miss the days when they would actually plan things and follow plans (even if it was plan B ) Jack would never have allowed anyone to do that under his commmand. It also seems like they gave up on the way they tried to show the characters as 'real' AF officers, and they used to listen to the AF advisors. I don't think they listened much in S9 and 10
            Who referred to SG-1 as a bunch of screw-ups?? Isn't the team suppose to be the best of the best?

I've only just recently begun lurking on this thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

sigpic

Comment

While I agree with you guys that Mitchell acted very badly in much of season 9, especially the examples of Stronghold and Off the Grid that have been brought up, I'm not so sure I agree that Jack wouldn't have let someone under his commmand get away with behavior like that. I seem to recall several occasions of both Daniel and Teal'c running off and doing what they wanted when they knew darn well Jack wouldn't want them to....or even flat out told them not to and he didn't kick either one of them off the team. And, actually, Jack has been known to go against direct orders himself on several occasions and Hammond does little more than glare at him when he gets back.

So, I think there's a bit of a history at the SGC of letting people have much more leeway than they should with little or no consequences.
              Last edited by Callista; 22 January 2009, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Who referred to SG-1 as a bunch of screw-ups?? Isn't the team suppose to be the best of the best?

I've only just recently begun lurking on this thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.
                In season 9 when they interviewed RCC, he said that stargate was actually a comedy and SG1 were a bunch of screw-ups, (or something very close to that, if I didn't get the exact quote.)
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
                  While I agree with you guys that Mitchell acted very badly in much of season 9, especially the examples of Stronghold and Off the Grid that have been brought up, I'm not so sure I agree that Jack wouldn't have let someone under his commmand get away with behavior like that. I seem to recall several occasions of both Daniel and Teal'c running off and doing what they wanted when they knew darn well Jack wouldn't want them too....or even flat out told them not to and he didn't kick either one of them off the team. And, actually, Jack has been known to go against direct orders himself on several occasions and Hammond does little more than glare at him when he gets back.

So, I think there's a bit of a history at the SGC of letting people have much more leeway than they should with little or no consequences.
                  There was also the episode Rules of Engagement in S3, where the fake SG Captain was going to go running into the line of fire. Jack grabbed him and told him if he tried that again he'd shoot him himself. As Daneil and Teal'c are not AF they may have been given more leeway. But Cam is an AF officer and should know better.
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

In season 9 when they interviewed RCC, he said that stargate was actually a comedy and SG1 were a bunch of screw-ups, (or something very close to that, if I didn't get the exact quote.)
                    Wow, I really hope he was just joking. The show does have a definite comedic element, but I felt its basis was as an action/adventure show. And I definitely would not have thought of the 'heroes' of the show as screw-ups.

sigpic

Comment

Wow, I really hope he was just joking. The show does have a definite comedic element, but I felt its basis was as an action/adventure show. And I definitely would not have thought of the 'heroes' of the show as screw-ups.
                      Neither did I until Season 9 and the introduction of Cam and Vala.
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

There was also the episode Rules of Engagement in S3, where the fake SG Captain was going to go running into the line of fire. Jack grabbed him and told him if he tried that again he'd shoot him himself. As Daneil and Teal'c are not AF they may have been given more leeway. But Cam is an AF officer and should know better.
                        They may not be Air Force, but they're just as capable of getting their team-mates killed as an officer would be. I'm thinking in particular of Teal'c not seeming to care at all if Jack got killed along with him as long as he could take his revenge on Tanith. Teal'c's not an Air Force officer but he certainly was the equivalent of a high-ranking officer in the Jaffa so he should have known better, too.

Anyway, like I said, I do agree that Cam is quite hot-headed and too eager to prove himself the hero in season 9 but I think he realized that and changed by season 10. I can see where that's too late for a lot of viewers, but personally, I can accept it considering that all the characters let their emotions get the better of them on occasion in the early days (with the possible exception of Sam...I can't think of her doing it off the top of my head).

Comment

Also, take note that Daniel and Teal'c were not in charge of the team. Mitchell was. As team leader it was supposed to be his job to be that voice of reason, to put the safety of the mission first. He's the one team member who doesn't get to go off half-cocked, regardless of the circumstances. But he was always shown to be the first guy acting without thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
                            Anyway, like I said, I do agree that Cam is quite hot-headed and too eager to prove himself the hero in season 9 but I think he realized that and changed by season 10. I can see where that's too late for a lot of viewers, but personally, I can accept it considering that all the characters let their emotions get the better of them on occasion in the early days (with the possible exception of Sam...I can't think of her doing it off the top of my head).
                            Singularity is the first episode that comes to mind for Sam. It may not have been as extreme as Mitchell in Stronghold, but I think it was definitely a case of Sam letting her emotions get the better of her with regards to Cassie.

I did warm up to Mitchell in season 10, but in season 9 I was left with an impression of a bit too much recklessness that wasn't offset enough by the restraint and competence I would expect of someone of his rank. The other SG-1 members did have their hot-headed moments, but it felt like they were exceptions to their normal behavior rather than a regular trait.

sigpic

Comment

Singularity is the first episode that comes to mind for Sam. It may not have been as extreme as Mitchell in Stronghold, but I think it was definitely a case of Sam letting her emotions get the better of her with regards to Cassie.
                              And Jack's response in that situation to Captain (as in, younger and inexperienced) Carter was "I'll take it from here Captain." He knew it was his responsibility to make sure Cassie was left down in that hole to die. He also knew that he had to look out for the well being of those under him, in this instance Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2 View Post
                                And Jack's response in that situation to Captain (as in, younger and inexperienced) Carter was "I'll take it from here Captain." He knew it was his responsibility to make sure Cassie was left down in that hole to die. He also knew that he had to look out for the well being of those under him, in this instance Sam.
                                Oh yes, I very much agree. I was just pointing out that scene as a moment when Sam let her emotions get the better of her, because she insisted on taking Cassie down herself when it really should have been Jack's responsibility. But I did love the scenes that followed between Sam and Cassie and Sam in the elevator.

I think I could have accepted Mitchell's moments of impulsiveness a bit more if his more experienced teammates had called him out on his actions a bit more, instead of just seeming resigned to him doing what he wanted to do.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X