S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    Let's just say there's a reason many of us call them the Bori.
    I can't say I find the Ori that interesting. As Alan says,
    The Goa'uld had big, interesting personalities.
    They plotted their own schemes and there was a lot of variation. The Ori seem to send someone to a planet to convert the population and if they don't convert they get killed. Gets a bit boring...

Don't get me started. I understand that characters grow and change. Not that they get complete personality transplants. Certainly his manhandling of Vala etc was nothing like the Daniel I knew. I wish I remembered who (too lazy to look) first posited that descended Daniel was really Anubis. or Danubis as I like to call him.
    And as for Daniel... well that really did confuse me! I can't say I was a devout viewer but I caught an episode here and there (I'm watching them now tho) and I have to admit Daniel is pretty rough with Vala. He seems also to become super sarcastic and I know he had his moments in the past but he seems to be giving a sarcastic answer to anything he is asked. Sometimes it's just childish. Plus I'm still really upset that CB wasn't used well.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should... With all its sham,drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Baltimore, 1692

Comment

Originally posted by Allie_Kreek View Post
      How do you people feel about the Ori storyline?
      It's boring and badly written.

What it boils down to is "Damn, we made our protagonists powerful, lets create a ridiculously overpowered enemy to have them fight against and add some socio-political commentary while we're doing it."

And even excluding that, the Ori were a wasted opportunity. There are many things you can do with godlike beings, but instead they did the most predictable things. Had they picked the option of SG-1 sacrificing itself by destroying the gate and being stuck in the Ori Galaxy, it would've been much more fun and they could've left behind a lot of canon because they'd be in a new galaxy.

Anyway, the most idiotic thing about the entire storyline was the senseless destruction of the Asgard as a mere plotdevice to have the heroes get cool laser beams...
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

not having Sam lead SG1 was a hugely bitter pill to swallow, and made the start of S9 really hard. it was also hard, if you were a big fan of Sam's like me, to like Cameron simply because of that reason. so he had a really big uphill battle in that regard. it probably took me all of S9 to warm to him. but actually it was his relationship with sam that helped. i really liked that as the season went on, they had a pretty much equal relationship, and that cam's presence gave us a chance to see a bit more of the scientist side of sam.

plus wow the finale for that season was amazing. the big super gate and sam floating there - i've never felt something more insignificant, alone or lost as that image. it was a seat of the edge moment that I hadn't had since season 3 when apophis was revealed as still being alive.

the ori were a pretty boring enemy all told, however we didn't have to suffer them too much and the individuals that we did get were definitely worth the screen time. Tomin was one of the strongest regular characters to appear on the series. Definitely up there with Ba'al and Major Davis in my books. The guy was such a good actor, to be able to portray a complex character like that, one with an attitude or point of view that is, quite frankly, utterly alien and incomprehensible to our own but he was still a good person at heart. I was quite blown away by that and able to forgive my pet hate (which is the use of any sort of medieval references at all) for him, and for the amazingly powerful scene in which Vala is burned. I didn't know CB as an actress before SG1 as I didn't watch Farscape, and so until that moment I couldn't see why people kept saying that she was a fantastic actress. Vala had just seemed a two dimensional character. But that all changed for me after the season opener, and I have to say I'm a Vala fan now.

as for Daniel's handling of her - well that's because he thinks she's being rather cruel with him. he has feelings for her, and he's already lost Sha're and then janet (yes, I do see Janet and Daniel ship) and then she just treats his feelings as if they're rubbish. once though, in the final episode, he sees that actually she's not faking it, his attitude towards her completely changes. that's my opinion!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Allie_Kreek View Post
          Most of the time boring. For the new season, the writers needed an enemy that was more powerful then the Goa'uld and the Replicators, otherwise it would seem redundant. So in came the Ori. Now those were too powerful. How do you kill something that you can't reach? But even saying that I didn't feel the Ori to be a huge threat. Not even with "TFH" scenario. Some of the scenes (for the Ori in general during the last two season) were very slow and boring, and in others you blink and you miss it. Like when they mention that Jonas' home world is destroyed, but no one asks about Jonas, you know the guy that saved their lives a few times and was a team member for a year. So the whole point in mentioning those lost planets, the impact that should have been delivered in showing just how close the Ori are (at least that's what I think the writers were aiming for) was lost to me.

And the final blow for the whole story arc was the way it ended. Two magic machines that the Ancients have conveniently designed but never used, just lying there, waiting for SG1 to find them. What happened to the good old days when they used shuttles to defend Earth and threw grenades at mother ships? I understand that the goal of the SGC is to find new races and technologies, so a progress is normal thing to expect, but some things are just too much. Especially if used too often.

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
          not having Sam lead SG1 was a hugely bitter pill to swallow, and made the start of S9 really hard. it was also hard, if you were a big fan of Sam's like me, to like Cameron simply because of that reason. so he had a really big uphill battle in that regard. it probably took me all of S9 to warm to him. but actually it was his relationship with sam that helped. i really liked that as the season went on, they had a pretty much equal relationship, and that cam's presence gave us a chance to see a bit more of the scientist side of sam.
          I was the exact opposite of you. That was what bugged me. The whole Mitchell saved everyone, they all owe him, and they're all his buddies didn't sit well with me. It felt forced. I wanted to see a growing relationship between the old and the new characters. To let the viewers get to know the new characters at the same time the bonds were forming within the team, watch them as they try to cope with the new dynamics and adding to the already existing interactions from the previous seasons.

plus wow the finale for that season was amazing. the big super gate and sam floating there - i've never felt something more insignificant, alone or lost as that image. it was a seat of the edge moment that I hadn't had since season 3 when apophis was revealed as still being alive.
          It was a good finale. I will even say that I enjoyed the last 15-20 min of it. But I gotta admit the thing that was going through my mind was mostly Martin Wood running around and yelling BOOM and a ship explodes.

the ori were a pretty boring enemy all told, however we didn't have to suffer them too much and the individuals that we did get were definitely worth the screen time. Tomin was one of the strongest regular characters to appear on the series. Definitely up there with Ba'al and Major Davis in my books. The guy was such a good actor, to be able to portray a complex character like that, one with an attitude or point of view that is, quite frankly, utterly alien and incomprehensible to our own but he was still a good person at heart. I was quite blown away by that and able to forgive my pet hate (which is the use of any sort of medieval references at all) for him, and for the amazingly powerful scene in which Vala is burned. I didn't know CB as an actress before SG1 as I didn't watch Farscape, and so until that moment I couldn't see why people kept saying that she was a fantastic actress. Vala had just seemed a two dimensional character. But that all changed for me after the season opener, and I have to say I'm a Vala fan now.
          I'm a HUGE Farscape fan. I watched few season of SG when it first came out, there were no airings for few years, and then I was playing catch up, but in the mean time I saw FS. And Ben and Claudia simply blew me away with their performances. So I was bouncing off the walls when I heard that they've joined SG1 in a more permanent basis. And sadly I think that was what caused a lot of my disappointment in their new characters. Vala did grew a little bit on me, after the character was toned down in S10, but I could never get that with Mitchell (especially not after the Marry Poppins comment and getting his team captured and tortured).

as for Daniel's handling of her - well that's because he thinks she's being rather cruel with him. he has feelings for her, and he's already lost Sha're and then janet (yes, I do see Janet and Daniel ship) and then she just treats his feelings as if they're rubbish. once though, in the final episode, he sees that actually she's not faking it, his attitude towards her completely changes. that's my opinion!
          There were several times when I was stunned by Daniel's behavior, from one side I understand that after everything he's been through he's a little bitter and cynical, but on the other side it felt like to much. Like they were desperately trying to put the geeky archeologist behind and show a "new Daniel". IMO it could have been done in a more subtle way.

All in all, S10 was an improvement to S9, and there are scenes, even entire episodes I can look back on without cringing...too much. However the old bridges were already burned and you can't build new ones over night.
          The things that I loved about Stargate, what drew me in since I was 10: the characters (both regular and recurring), the relationships and interactions between them, the dry wit and the snark people (especially Jack) kept tossing around, the bad guys, the fact that the only weapons Earth had were only the ones that existed in reality at that time, was gone.

The only reason I kept watching was because I was too much of an Amanda fangurl not to see something she's in. It's the only thing that would make me watch Universe...I really hope I'm safe from that happening.

I could add more things to this subject but for now it's enough, the post is already long and a lot of those things have been covered in the previous few posts.
          sigpic

Comment

Catching up with some very good posts

Originally Posted by Allie_Kreek
            The Ori, I found as others have said, boring. They had no personality, how could they, they were only seen as fire The Goa'uld were more interesting, because not only were they evil, but each had their own personalities (Apophis may have been my first, but I loved Yu ) Not only that, they were formidable, but beatable. The Ori were omnipotent, there wasn't a chance in Netu they could be defeated, which is why they had to come up with the 'magic gun' . SG1 used to be about the good guys fighting thier best with what they had (some stolen weapons, like staff weapons and zats) against superior forces, but not impossible ones. Because of the Ori, SG1 became more of treasure hunters looking for that one great weapon It just wasn't SG1.

Originally Posted by GateGipsy

First off let me say that I have always believed CB to be a great actress, I first saw her in Pitch Black and have also seen her in Farscape, so there is no doubt in my mind to her talent My problem was with the character she portrayed and the way Vala was written. Bare with me, as I have only seen most eps once. Vala's introduction in S8, was interesting, she was the villian, and for that part ok. She was a very strong character in PU. Coming back in S9, I really didn't like how they handled her. She came in dressed as a dominatrix and kidnapped Daniel (putting those cuffs on him was testamount to kidnapping in my book.) I did find the scenes she did with Tomin were her best, she actually showed character growth. With Daniel, she seemed to be the 'childish little girl', which to me was not endearing. I can't understand with her history how they could have trusted her yet alone make her part of the team I know it was a powerful scene with her burning alive and then later taking the ship to 'plug the whole'...but was it really self-sacrifice or was it Vala, not wanting the Ori to come to this galaxy and her risk going through that again? I just can't buy Vala turned 'good' because her history works against it. As a villian like Maybourne I think would have worked better, and would have been more believable
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
              I was the exact opposite of you. That was what bugged me. The whole Mitchell saved everyone, they all owe him, and they're all his buddies didn't sit well with me. It felt forced. I wanted to see a growing relationship between the old and the new characters. To let the viewers get to know the new characters at the same time the bonds were forming within the team, watch them as they try to cope with the new dynamics and adding to the already existing interactions from the previous seasons.

I know TPTB said "but we did that already when we introduced Jonas." But imho since MItchell was a completely different character it didn't have to be the same. I kept waiting for the backstory on how Sam and Cam knew each other. We were left to speculate. I don't need it *all* filled in, but soemthing would be nice. If Sam knew him, maybe Daniel & Teal'c could quiz her on who's this new guy? or something.

I also found it hard to believe that Daniel and Teal'c would just accept someone else in command after Sam had been their team leader. The Daniel I remember stuck up for Sam when Makepeace replaced Jack. I never bought the "she left for Area 51 so it's not her team anymore" excuse.

At least give us something plausible to hang our hats on.

Comment

Stupid multiquote isn't working....
                GateGipsy said:

JasminaGo said:I was the exact opposite of you. That was what bugged me. The whole Mitchell saved everyone, they all owe him, and they're all his buddies didn't sit well with me. It felt forced. I wanted to see a growing relationship between the old and the new characters. To let the viewers get to know the new characters at the same time the bonds were forming within the team, watch them as they try to cope with the new dynamics and adding to the already existing interactions from the previous seasons.
                I agree with Jasmina. I'd have liked him (indeed there were early moments that I did like him) if he'd have not - unneccessarily imo - been put in command of the team. "Pretty much equal" in execution, maybe, but in the end HE was the leader.
                GateGipsy said:
                Missed it. After thoroughly that was fun!mocking Camelot The Muddy Village with Harry Potter and Monty Python & the Holy Grail jokes, I got a phone call and paused the DVD. By the time I got back, it had turned off and i wasn't interested enough to turn it back on. Only found out later the - apparently - best part of the ep was the last 10 minutes .Flesh and Blood was decent though. A good Vala piece, even though there was too much Hero!Cam.
                GateGipsy said:
                Loved Tomin. Vala was at her best (most faceted) with him. I despised the joinedatthehipwithDaniel Vala. She wasn't bad when Daniel wasn't there, but with him around it felt like she was an attention-seeking puppy.

Most of the time boring. For the new season, the writers needed an enemy that was more powerful then the Goa'uld and the Replicators, otherwise it would seem redundant. So in came the Ori. Now those were too powerful. How do you kill something that you can't reach? But even saying that I didn't feel the Ori to be a huge threat. Not even with "TFH" scenario. Some of the scenes (for the Ori in general during the last two season) were very slow and boring, and in others you blink and you miss it. Like when they mention that Jonas' home world is destroyed, but no one asks about Jonas, you know the guy that saved their lives a few times and was a team member for a year. So the whole point in mentioning those lost planets, the impact that should have been delivered in showing just how close the Ori are (at least that's what I think the writers were aiming for) was lost to me.

And the final blow for the whole story arc was the way it ended. Two magic machines that the Ancients have conveniently designed but never used, just lying there, waiting for SG1 to find them. What happened to the good old days when they used shuttles to defend Earth and threw grenades at mother ships? I understand that the goal of the SGC is to find new races and technologies, so a progress is normal thing to expect, but some things are just too much. Especially if used too often.
                Agreed. But the series was way to far gone for me to really care by then.

JasminaGo said: I'm a HUGE Farscape fan. I watched few season of SG when it first came out, there were no airings for few years, and then I was playing catch up, but in the mean time I saw FS. And Ben and Claudia simply blew me away with their performances. So I was bouncing off the walls when I heard that they've joined SG1 in a more permanent basis. And sadly I think that was what caused a lot of my disappointment in their new characters. Vala did grew a little bit on me, after the character was toned down in S10, but I could never get that with Mitchell (especially not after the Marry Poppins comment and getting his team captured and tortured).
                Yup. While i was never a huge Farscape fan (the humor - apparently of the later seasons - was a crass/vulger <<--- just my opinion!!for my tastes) I certainly had nothing against Ben coming over and assumed ( always dangerous) that Vala would be toned down. I had absolutely no problem with RDA leaving to raise his daughter - good for him!!

Jasmina said:
                All in all, S10 was an improvement to S9, and there are scenes, even entire episodes I can look back on without cringing...too much. However the old bridges were already burned and you can't build new ones over night.
                The things that I loved about Stargate, what drew me in since I was 10: the characters (both regular and recurring), the relationships and interactions between them, the dry wit and the snark people (especially Jack) kept tossing around, the bad guys, the fact that the only weapons Earth had were only the ones that existed in reality at that time, was gone.
                Agree with this too.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I didn't like the ori. They were a bit too close to current stuff for my tastes.

That being said, I probably could have stomached them if the new cast members had been introduced in a palatable (to me) way.

The again it's been years since I watched anything to do with the (B)Ori. So perhaps I'm just not remembering all I disliked about them.

suse

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                    Anyway, the most idiotic thing about the entire storyline was the senseless destruction of the Asgard as a mere plotdevice to have the heroes get cool laser beams...
                    I completely agree.

Woohoo!! Uber tech. That permeated into SGA.
                    I think that was one of the few things I liked about him...his what seemed like genuine friendship with Carter.

Granted it came out of nowhere, and we were just supposed to accept that they had known each other before he showed up at the SGC, but AT and BB managed to sell me on it.

Though I guess you are talking more about their working relationship, which I found to be ok I guess because yeah Sam did get to continue on in the position she had been in all those years...scientist/soldier...but Mitchell seemed to lack a backbone as leader. So here is Carter not officially in command, yet she is almost having to baby sit this guy because she is the one with the experience and the level head. I rarely saw any kind of decisive leadership from him like you had with Jack. The only instance that stands out for me is in Continuum when
                    Spoiler:
                    he made the decision to leave Daniel behind.

Agreed and agreed.

That scene with Vala is a great one. One of the best in the series, imo.
                    I'm a HUGE Farscape fan. I watched few season of SG when it first came out, there were no airings for few years, and then I was playing catch up, but in the mean time I saw FS. And Ben and Claudia simply blew me away with their performances. So I was bouncing off the walls when I heard that they've joined SG1 in a more permanent basis. And sadly I think that was what caused a lot of my disappointment in their new characters. Vala did grew a little bit on me, after the character was toned down in S10, but I could never get that with Mitchell (especially not after the Marry Poppins comment and getting his team captured and tortured).
                    Same here.

I can't express how much I loathed Vala in Season 8's Prometheus Unbound. I was all excited that CB was going to be in that episode, and then it turned out to be complete garbage for me to the point that I was rather embarrassed that CB was given that terrible character.

And then to learn that Vala would be back in S9. I so was not looking forward to that.

Though I do have to admit that after seeing S9 a second time, I came to actually see Vala as the highlight of that season (which I think is the worst season of SG-1) when she was in her more serious mode (like in The Powers That Be and Beachhead and of course at the end of Avalon 2) rather than playing up the sex angle and hanging all over Daniel.

Then in S10, that's why I hated Family Ties. A big disservice was done to the character with that horrible episode.

CB did a great job though in both seasons as Vala was nothing like Aeryn. Course the characters are complete polar opposites. BB on the other hand...eh sometimes it was like watching crazy Crichton in a military uniform. All we needed was Harvey in a Hawaiian shirt.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

i hugely disliked S8, and i'm not sure i even watched Prometheus Unbound. i may have - at the time i was with a group of fans who got together every week to watch Stargate - but i just didn't really pay much attention to it. i may even have left the room to cook dinner; that happened a lot in S8. So effectively I'd had a break by the time S9 and S10 came around, and really it was just a lot easier to watch it as a different show, Stargate Command, than SG1, and that made a big difference. So I can't really comment on Vala's introduction in the show. All I know is that she worked really well for me as a character from the time we met her in S9, and even better in S10. She was a multifaceted character - Daniel never realised that she was 'different' around him than she was when he wasn't there, as of course he was never there to see that. Her experiences, in her childhood and as a host, had made her build such a hard persona around her core, and that showed really well in CB's portrayel.

However, it was Daniel and Sam that made S10 for me because they were always my favourite characters. My hubs only really liked Jack, so he didn't watch those seasons.

Those are interesting comments about Cam's introduction though, as I never really paid much attention to the character at the start, I'd have to watch those early S9 episodes again. I really can't remember a lot about the bringing back together of the team, as I was really trying very hard not to pay attention to Landry, since I'm not a fan of the actor. Also, those first couple of epsiodes in S9 had a LOT of exposition in them, which I find boring. That was a definite improvement in S10 - they stopped 'explaining' everything, and did a lot more 'showing' instead. I hate exposition for three reasons a) it stops the action b) it doesn't expect any intelligence from the viewer and c) they always make Sam do it, poor thing. Can't be much fun for Amanda as an actor.
                      sigpic

Comment

However, it was Daniel and Sam that made S10 for me because they were always my favourite characters. My hubs only really liked Jack, so he didn't watch those seasons.
                        And I was happy that Jack was gone, even though he was once my favorite character. He was one of the main problems that I had with S7 and S8. I was perfectly happy to see RDA move on with his life, which is why I was quite looking forward to S9.

I didn't particularly like what they did with Daniel in those later seasons. I guess you could chalk it up to character growth/change as I wouldn't expect him to remain static, but meh he wasn't really the Daniel I enjoyed anymore. He was too much soldier, imo. And I sometimes I didn't like the way MS portrayed him. Every now and then he would reappear like in The Pegasus Project or Quest 2.

And I can't complain about Carter because at least the focus was no longer on her personal life. That was another thing I really disliked about S7 and S8. So it was back to the Carter I liked, but Carter was never a favorite character for me anyway.

Those are interesting comments about Cam's introduction though, as I never really paid much attention to the character at the start, I'd have to watch those early S9 episodes again. I really can't remember a lot about the bringing back together of the team, as I was really trying very hard not to pay attention to Landry, since I'm not a fan of the actor. Also, those first couple of epsiodes in S9 had a LOT of exposition in them, which I find boring. That was a definite improvement in S10 - they stopped 'explaining' everything, and did a lot more 'showing' instead. I hate exposition for three reasons a) it stops the action b) it doesn't expect any intelligence from the viewer and c) they always make Sam do it, poor thing. Can't be much fun for Amanda as an actor.
                        Interesting assessment. And probably one of the main things tptb did wrong when kicking off S9.

And I was no fan of Landry either. I guess it did have a lot to do with the way the actor portrayed him, but also with that lame side story about his relationship with his daughter in S9. I guess that was supposed to humanize him or something but I didn't care! It had the opposite effect on me and made me dislike him even more along with the doc. I actually liked the AU Laundry in Continuum though. lol.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                          And I was happy that Jack was gone, even though he was once my favorite character. He was one of the main problems that I had with S7 and S8. I was perfectly happy to see RDA move on with his life, which is why I was quite looking forward to S9.
                          I can't say I was *happy* that Jack was gone, but I was prepared for it and ready to accept it. They had been easing him out for some time (and he had too often become "dumb Jack" to me ). And Like you, I was fine with RDA changing his priorities. The guy didn't owe us anything.

And I was no fan of Landry either. I guess it did have a lot to do with the way the actor portrayed him, but also with that lame side story about his relationship with his daughter in S9. I guess that was supposed to humanize him or something but I didn't care! It had the opposite effect on me and made me dislike him even more along with the doc. I actually liked the AU Laundry in Continuum though. lol.
                          I was open minded about Landry--I had no strong feelings one way or the other about Beau Bridges. I agree about the father-daughter storyline.
                          BB had a tough job filling the shoes of DSD and RDA as commanders. I don't think the writers served him particularly well.

Comment

I can't say I was *happy* that Jack was gone, but I was prepared for it and ready to accept it. They had been easing him out for some time (and he had too often become "dumb Jack" to me ). And Like you, I was fine with RDA changing his priorities. The guy didn't owe us anything.
                            I was ultimately sad as well that he was leaving, but it was very painful to watch "dumb Jack" because that was not the Jack I enjoyed, and that was not who Jack was. So instead of doing further damage to the character, I was happy to see RDA move on. And thus willing to move on with someone new.

I was open minded about Landry--I had no strong feelings one way or the other about Beau Bridges. I agree about the father-daughter storyline.
                            BB had a tough job filling the shoes of DSD and RDA as commanders. I don't think the writers served him particularly well.
                            I completely agree. Though some of my problem was with the way the actor portrayed him (though maybe some of that had to do with directions given him by tptb) even though I really don't have a problem with BB in other things I've seen him in. *shrug* But I really hated that whole father/daughter conflict. It felt contrived...like a number of other things in that 9th season.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post

I didn't particularly like what they did with Daniel in those later seasons. I guess you could chalk it up to character growth/change as I wouldn't expect him to remain static, but meh he wasn't really the Daniel I enjoyed anymore. He was too much soldier, imo. And I sometimes I didn't like the way MS portrayed him. Every now and then he would reappear like in The Pegasus Project or Quest 2.

And I can't complain about Carter because at least the focus was no longer on her personal life. That was another thing I really disliked about S7 and S8. So it was back to the Carter I liked, but Carter was never a favorite character for me anyway.

Interesting assessment. And probably one of the main things tptb did wrong when kicking off S9.

No fan of Jack, Carter, Daniel, Landry - just who did you like?

I understood what they were doing with Landry and his daughter, but it annoyed me at the time. It wasn't like they weren't going to patch things up eventually and for some reason I always got an ex-wife/loser husband vibe from the two of them instead of father/daughter.

Not to mention that Hammond had been there for 7 yrs full time, and yet we seldom delved into his personal life. S8's Zero Hour is one of my favourite eps, yet we never really got an ep like that with Hammond.

I thought during s6/7 with the whole split shifts (or whatever they called it back then with RDA's schedule) they actually handled it somewhat better than his total absence later on. I did have some grumbles at the time coz I thought some of the eps had been written as if they weren't sure who was going to be in it (some of Carter's lines seemed like they were written for O'Neill) but that is a minor issue.

Suddenly in s9 RDA is gone without explanation (unless you look on the internet), then when he comes back he doesn't even seem like the same character.

Landry's character was a bit of a dilemma for TPTW by the looks of things - they had to make it sufficiently interesting and with enough drama and dialogue to attract someone of BB's calibre, yet he was still supposed to be a background character. I always thought they did a better job of writing him as 'the general/hardass' in SGA than they did in SG1.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                                No fan of Jack, Carter, Daniel, Landry - just who did you like?
                                Umm...none of them. I didn't have a favorite character those last 2 seasons.

Jack was my fav when the series started and then in season 6 he began his drift into the Jack I disliked. So he was sort of replaced by Daniel in S7/8 who I then didn't particularly care for in 9 and 10. I really disliked Carter in S7/8. Went back to liking her in 9 and 10 but she was never a fav to begin with. Never liked Landry. Sort of warmed to Mitchell in season 10. And liked Vala when she was being more serious and not hanging all over Daniel.

I suppose Teal'c was the only one that I never had a shift in feelings for. I always liked him. But I wouldn't say he was a favorite character. I appreciated his journey through the series though.
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X