No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very well said. IMO TPTB did a horrible job with Season 9 and 10. From the first few seconds of the first episode of Season 9 I could tell it was not going to work. It did not feel like anything close to SG-1 or good SciFi.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie_Kreek View Post
      Amen! It will be nice to see a little more RDA. It is kind of sad Vala is going to be absent but if we get some more old skool SG1 interaction then I'm happy. Plus I'd really like to see Carter kick butt again. I was impressed with the writing of Carter's character in Continuum. She seemed to lose something in the later seasons of SG1 and then I watched her a couple of times in SGA but she still seemed off. I think having the old team back together for a little longer will give the writers the opportunity to kick start the team again.
      Well with Carter and Teal'c they are Brad's characters; the latter seasons of Sg1 RCC was taking control of the show while BW was working on Atlantis. IMO I like Brad's Carter, better than how RCC had her written.
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        Well with Carter and Teal'c they are Brad's characters; the latter seasons of Sg1 RCC was taking control of the show while BW was working on Atlantis. IMO I like Brad's Carter, better than how RCC had her written.
        So do I. With BW we got the Jolinar arc and the Jacob arc. With RCC we got the Pete arc and "Sam written out as SG1 leader" arc.

Mike

Comment

It's a tough choice but I'm going to have to go with the Jolinar and Jacob arc. Let me be serious now. BW wins hands down IMO. BW and Gekko were the good days of SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by mapsc View Post
            So do I. With BW we got the Jolinar arc and the Jacob arc. With RCC we got the Pete arc and "Sam written out as SG1 leader" arc.

Mike
            Well that explains things. I'll admit that I don't really know anything about what goes on behind the scenes. I suppose the Pete arc was necessary for Carter to grow so I was ok with that story. Then when I realised she wasn't going to be leading SG1 I got a little miffed and not because I'm some bra burning feminist. I was annoyed because I felt she earned it. Someone I know argued that it was because she was a scientist first and a soldier second.... hmm... everyone knows that you are a soldier first and scientist (or chef or lorry driver) second. then the cheek to argue that she didn't have enough combat experience, i'm not even going there! Would it have hurt to give her a chance *sobbing and setting bra on fire*
            "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should... With all its sham,drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Baltimore, 1692

Comment

Well that explains things. I'll admit that I don't really know anything about what goes on behind the scenes. I suppose the Pete arc was necessary for Carter to grow so I was ok with that story. Then when I realised she wasn't going to be leading SG1 I got a little miffed and not because I'm some bra burning feminist. I was annoyed because I felt she earned it. Someone I know argued that it was because she was a scientist first and a soldier second.... hmm... everyone knows that you are a soldier first and scientist (or chef or lorry driver) second. then the cheek to argue that she didn't have enough combat experience, i'm not even going there! Would it have hurt to give her a chance *sobbing and setting bra on fire*
              I was more than a little miffed about them taking Sam's command. Remember she was *in command* in S8. Particularly the way they did it--for a reckless, inexperienced (on an SG team) equally ranked guy. (Breathes deeply before head explodes) I would have been equally ticked off if it had been *Samuel* Carter's command being taken away in similar circumstances. (Of course we know that wouldn't have happened. )

As for Pete--I was fine with him for the first 1/2 of the first ep he was in--a chance for Sam to have some fun away from the SGC with a guy who likes her. Then he got overly demanding & p****. To make matters worse, they had him *keep coming back* & they made Sam all indecisive & had that awful Jack or PEte thing going. (shudder) IMHO, Sam should have dropped Pete like a hot potato after his behavior in Chimera.

The one good thing about S9 &10 for Sam was they dropped that whole storyline. TPTB don't do "romance" well, imho.

Comment

Sam should have been in command in Season 9. TPTB could have made simple little changes that would have made the show continue to be successful. You have Sam in command and bring in Haley or bring back Jonas with some more Jack mention and no Ori and the show had a great chance to work. I'm a Sam/Jack shipper but I have to agree about the TPTB not doing romance well. TPTB dragged it out way to long. You either decide early in the Show to put them together or decide early in the show they will not be a couple. Hollywood has to stop handling these romances like this just because of what happened on Moonlighting.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                  I was more than a little miffed about them taking Sam's command. Remember she was *in command* in S8. Particularly the way they did it--for a reckless, inexperienced (on an SG team) equally ranked guy. (Breathes deeply before head explodes) I would have been equally ticked off if it had been *Samuel* Carter's command being taken away in similar circumstances. (Of course we know that wouldn't have happened. )

As for Pete--I was fine with him for the first 1/2 of the first ep he was in--a chance for Sam to have some fun away from the SGC with a guy who likes her. Then he got overly demanding & p****. To make matters worse, they had him *keep coming back* & they made Sam all indecisive & had that awful Jack or PEte thing going. (shudder) IMHO, Sam should have dropped Pete like a hot potato after his behavior in Chimera.

The one good thing about S9 &10 for Sam was they dropped that whole storyline. TPTB don't do "romance" well, imho.
                  I think it is a shame that Sam didn't get command as they missed out on an opportunity to get the balance between old and new right. I think Sam in command of SG1 inviting Mitchell to the team would have worked a lot better. I guess one of the big problems with S9 -10 was that there was too much new stuff being hurled at us and we didn't really have time to digest it.

Although I didn't mind the Pete storyline I have to admit I thought that after all her problems with Jonas trying to control her Carter would not have been happy for Pete to do a background check. I know how I'd feel if someone I had been dating for a short time did a background check on me! I think for her to go back to him after that and eventually agree to marry him was the start of Bad Carter.
                  "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should... With all its sham,drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Baltimore, 1692

Comment

I think it is a shame that Sam didn't get command as they missed out on an opportunity to get the balance between old and new right. I think Sam in command of SG1 inviting Mitchell to the team would have worked a lot better. I guess one of the big problems with S9 -10 was that there was too much new stuff being hurled at us and we didn't really have time to digest it.
                    Yeah, I'd have been a lot less harsh on them if Sam had retained lead. But as soon as they had a full time Ben!Browder!Our!New!STARRING!!LEADING!!!MAN!!!!!! they yanked the person who N. John Smith said "they treated as the lead when RDA wasn't there." And it looks as if as soon as theey had a full time male lead... <<sigh>>
                    T'was offensive. IS offensive.

And then we have Vala. I has assumed and you know what happens when you do that they would redo the character to make her work a bit better than she did in PU, which was definitely a one-shot/sparingly recurring character. I had no thoughts that she would be worse. Opps. Silly me.

/bitter

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

This is not meant as a knock on BB but was Farscape that big that BB had to be the star on SG-1? To this day I do not understand TPTB thought process for Season 9 and 10. Maybe I just do not understand Hollywood. I guess few people do.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                        Yeah, I'd have been a lot less harsh on them if Sam had retained lead. But as soon as they had a full time Ben!Browder!Our!New!STARRING!!LEADING!!!MAN!!!!!! they yanked the person who N. John Smith said "they treated as the lead when RDA wasn't there." And it looks as if as soon as theey had a full time male lead... <<sigh>>
                        T'was offensive. IS offensive.

And then we have Vala. I has assumed and you know what happens when you do that they would redo the character to make her work a bit better than she did in PU, which was definitely a one-shot/sparingly recurring character. I had no thoughts that she would be worse. Opps. Silly me.

/bitter

suse
                        I think it was a real one-two punch for the grown-up female fans of Stargate when not only did they take the command away from Sam, they bring on Vala. It's as if they were saying loud and clear that they much preferred the sterotypical space babe and leading man combo. I really expected much better considering the previous eight seasons.

Comment

It was a one-two puch for this male fan as well. I have yet to recover from the punch.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                            It was a one-two puch for this male fan as well. I have yet to recover from the punch.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                              I think it was a real one-two punch for the grown-up female fans of Stargate when not only did they take the command away from Sam, they bring on Vala. It's as if they were saying loud and clear that they much preferred the sterotypical space babe and leading man combo. I really expected much better considering the previous eight seasons.
                              In the end I view them as two separate shows, because that's what it ended up being. They forgot that there were 8 previous seasons and decided to invent a whole new franchise. That's what it felt like.

They seemed to forget we went through 8 seasons loving the show and the characters, to completely rewrite the established ones and have them massively overshadowed by the new ones, was just kicking your fan base where it hurts.

What hurts more is if you think what could have been with Sam in command and the whole Ori storyline canned.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                                I totally agree with you. I was about 17 when Stargate started here in the UK and I loved the moment Carter walked in and tells them what's what from the get go. Then for the next 7-8 seasons Carter really holds her own against some of the stronger male characters and really establishes herself as an important part of Stargate. It was so nice to have a female role that doesn't go gooey eyed every time she sees a poodle (hmm... not sure there are many of those in stargate) or a kid or shake with fear at the first sign of trouble. It is an absolute shame that TPTB couldn't see that those qualities appealed not only to women but to men as well. I'm sure if Carter had been passed over for Mitchell in the real life military there would be someone who'd have something to say about it and I'd guess the first person would be Carter.

Truth be told I was horrified when I heard that CB and BB had been cast because I thought they are too easily identified with Farscape. I'm not saying I hate them or anything but it was just too easy when they were on screen to think 'Oh look John and Aeryn.'

sry about the rant

Comment

Working...
                                X