S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post
    If they put SG1 on life support they were feeding it poison gas not oxygen. I think it was a lesson in finishing while you're ahead. I mean they tried to 'reinvent' the show (a least I presume that's what they were attempting) instead of letting it go.
    IMHO the show didn't need "re-inventing." If they had brought in Mitchell as a competent but maybe a bit overenthusiastic officer JUNIOR to Carter and brought him in slowly, I think we could have had a something new while *retaining what worked.* Think of all the things they could have done with character development with the remaining original 3 as they dealt with a new threat (too bad it was the Bori) and a new member of the team. Oh, but that was too hard to do.

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
    The binding herself to the team member thing....she was willingly holding him hostage with a threat of death if she didn’t get her way. She KNEW that he had the chance of dieing if he got to far away from her, she just didn’t do enough research to realize that she could die too. How is that any different then any bank robber holding someone at gunpoint?

But then again abandoning a ship full of people on an adrift ship that only really has a chance of being recovered by a race of beings you know will torture and murder them (simply so you can make some money) is not exactly the type of first impression that would warrant one getting a free ticket to earth. Seems to me like the kind of first impression that should have you thrown in jail for a long time. But then I guess if you enslaved an entire race of people of your own free will just to make some cash then leaving an entire ship of people to die in space is just small beans...
    But don't you know how freakin' "hilarious" this stuff is? Especially if we can get her to do this stuff while half coming out of her shirt.

In my mind PU never happened. How could they have dragged the competent and honorable into that mess?

I just wish they had used CB well. They could have made a character very different from Aeryn without going *that* direction.

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    The thing is that Jack would never have tolerated either Vala or Mitchell and he sure as hell wouldn't have pulled Carter off of SG-1 as team leader and put a green, inexperienced, reckless and incompetent officer like Mitchell in
    *wanders away in disgust*
    You said it. Not the *real* Jack anyway. Toward the end the writers seemed to think the character was the sum of his smart aleck remarks and the show was a comedy adventure, not a scifi drama with action (which is what it had been imho).

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      IMHO the show didn't need "re-inventing." If they had brought in Mitchell as a competent but maybe a bit overenthusiastic officer JUNIOR to Carter and brought him in slowly, I think we could have had a something new while *retaining what worked.* Think of all the things they could have done with character development with the remaining original 3 as they dealt with a new threat (too bad it was the Bori) and a new member of the team. Oh, but that was too hard to do.
      I wish they kept Jonas' way of introducing new characters... Here is a guy who is willing to help, wants to prove him self, has the desire but not the experience. He was integrated in the team, slowly... first Teal'c who as an alien run-away was the best person to help Jonas find his place in the SGC and SG-1 (it was also a great character development for Teal'c, to find someone he can relate to, someone to mentor, instead of the punching bag/raging lunatic deal he got in S9 and 10). Then Jonas started to interact with Sam, and last it took Jack an entire season to warm up to the guy. While I wasn't 100% happy with how the whole thing was handled, it was a million times better then the way Mitchell was shoved into the story. And everything that existed before that was torn apart in order to give him a buddy to play with on screen.

In "Paradise Lost" we got that beautiful scene in the locker room between Sam and Teal'c, that wouldn't have worked had it been Jonas instead of Teal'c, it just wouldn't have made any sense. Then in "The Quest" we got Mitchell telling Vala, that "the hardest part of being a member of Sg-1 is to watch your friends risk their lives...bla bla bla". My reaction to that was: "NEW GUY!!! What do you know about being a member of SG1 and losing teammates?" It's a shame really, it is a good line, only to be wasted on a poor delivery.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
        Daniel's thought processes were taking place further south. Not sure why, Vala was a horrible character. She held him hostage (twice!), even CB called her a "whorelette", she enslaved a village for personal gain, she wasn't even a good con artist or she'd have never opened her mouth to *be* burned at the stake... need I go on?
        All through the show Daniel is shown as being very intelligent
        and yes he is still a male with male needs
        but from my impression of the character i thought Daniel would have been intrested in someone who could mentally stimulate him as well as being pleasing on the eye yes sha're was not an educated women by my standareds but she was never shown as immature and self centered or anything else Vala is
        "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
          In "Paradise Lost" we got that beautiful scene in the locker room between Sam and Teal'c, that wouldn't have worked had it been Jonas instead of Teal'c, it just wouldn't have made any sense. Then in "The Quest" we got Mitchell telling Vala, that "the hardest part of being a member of Sg-1 is to watch your friends risk their lives...bla bla bla". My reaction to that was: "NEW GUY!!! What do you know about being a member of SG1 and losing teammates?" It's a shame really, it is a good line, only to be wasted on a poor delivery.
          I had the same reaction!! Isn't that a recycled line anyway. I'm sure O'Neill or Carter have said something long those lines before.

I liked Quest I and II as much as I can like an episode of S10. Mainly for the due to the fact they are 'team' episodes and they also feature the underused Ba'al. I love the interactions between Ba'al, Sam and Teal'c. Probably could have been really great if you didn't have Vala being waaay over the top again and the story wasn't about the Ori.

Not that any of you would probably want to watch it again but did anyone else notice that when they have defeated the dragon and they are all standing there and Ba'al walks up behind and Sam moves suddenly. I'm sure it's just Amanda shifting her weight but I so looks like someone has pinched her on the backside.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the Ori badguys and liked the team episodes that didn't have anything to do with the Ori.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
              Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the Ori badguys and liked the team episodes that didn't have anything to do with the Ori.
              The Ori story line was a BIG mistake, they reminded me of Q from STNG, only Picard knew better than to try to 'beat' them. And the PTB knew better than to make them the enemy... b/c they knew they made it impossible to defeat them...too bad Coop didn't realize that. Which only left him one option...the oh so predictable 'find the only weapon in the universe capable of killing them'
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Wasn't the Ori and Season 9/10 when RCC firmly took over as Exec. Producer? He may have written a few good episodes of SG-1 pre season 9, but I don't think he made a lot of good decisions when he was given the reins and had the power to positively influence the franchise after RDA left.
                sigpic
                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                  Wasn't the Ori and Season 9/10 when RCC firmly took over as Exec. Producer? He may have written a few good episodes of SG-1 pre season 9, but I don't think he made a lot of good decisions when he was given the reins and had the power to positively influence the franchise after RDA left.
                  Yea, you're right, he did take over the reigns, and after Gekko left (RDA and Greenburg), he was the sole showrunner, and wanted a brand new show But didn't get his way, so we were left with his interpretation of the 'new' sg1..a bunch of screw ups, and a comedy I guess he forgot what show he was producing
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                    Yea, you're right, he did take over the reigns, and after Gekko left (RDA and Greenburg), he was the sole showrunner, and wanted a brand new show But didn't get his way, so we were left with his interpretation of the 'new' sg1..a bunch of screw ups, and a comedy I guess he forgot what show he was producing
                    He says RDA had faith in him and he really ran the show since S7 (Brad Wright took a year off).

But seriously, he really didn't til Gekko was gone.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I have the entire collection of 10 seasons and Seasons 1-8 have been very well used, while S9&10 rarely get used, except for a few episodes I rather like. Whenever I'm in a mood to watch SG1, it's always S1-8 rather than the last two.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        I have the entire collection of 10 seasons and Seasons 1-8 have been very well used, while S9&10 rarely get used, except for a few episodes I rather like. Whenever I'm in a mood to watch SG1, it's always S1-8 rather than the last two.
                        I do this too. I don't see how you can ever be in the mood to watch the last two seasons.

I've decided to watch the whole series from the beginning again, but I don't think I'll include S09 & s10....maybe I'll just the eps with Ba'al in it. S09 just comes out of nowhere, totally new show it would seem and S10 has to carry on the silliness.

About the Ori - I may have missed it - but why was there a one eyed prior? If they have these powers, which include powers of healing, then why the one eye? It irritates me...or maybe that's just the entire Ori storyline in general.

Comment

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post
                          I do this too. I don't see how you can ever be in the mood to watch the last two seasons.

I've decided to watch the whole series from the beginning again, but I don't think I'll include S09 & s10....maybe I'll just the eps with Ba'al in it. S09 just comes out of nowhere, totally new show it would seem and S10 has to carry on the silliness.

About the Ori - I may have missed it - but why was there a one eyed prior? If they have these powers, which include powers of healing, then why the one eye? It irritates me...or maybe that's just the entire Ori storyline in general.
                          I don't recall if there was ever an explanation for the one-eyed prior. Yes, you would think Ori powers could heal it for him. Maybe he was a bad boy and that's how they punished him.

I'm about ready to go back and start Season 1 again, with a short trip into Season 9 and 10. I do like "Arthur's Mantle" just for some of the silliness between Cam and Sam, and Sam and Daniel, and them and Dr. Lee. And as silly as it is, I like the "Uninvited", mostly because it has one of my favorite Reynolds lines in it. I don't even recall what the other 2 or 3 episodes are that I sometimes will watch

Comment

Our Space channel in Canada, shows SG1 daily. It has just recently started s1 again but it was a looooong wait, waiting for s9 and 10 to end
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Sky is also showing SG-1 from the beginning again. Even although I have all ten seasons on dvd, I sit down and enjoy these episodes on the telly.
                              Solitudes was on today - "It's my sidearm, I swear" - no matter how often I watch these episodes I still enjoy them. I have only watched the s9 and 10 dvds for the commentaries. (Not the Cooper ones!)
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                                He says RDA had faith in him and he really ran the show since S7 (Brad Wright took a year off).

But seriously, he really didn't til Gekko was gone.

suse
                                He may have run some things day to day, but it wasn't until later that he had the power to forcefeed us his lame*** "vision" of the Bori.

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                                Sky is also showing SG-1 from the beginning again. Even although I have all ten seasons on dvd, I sit down and enjoy these episodes on the telly.
                                Solitudes was on today - "It's my sidearm, I swear" - no matter how often I watch these episodes I still enjoy them. I have only watched the s9 and 10 dvds for the commentaries. (Not the Cooper ones!)
                                Oh, indeed. I still enjoy S1-8. And I generally like the commentaries but RCC's self congratulatory monologues are bad for my health.

Comment

Working...
                                X