S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
    I get the feeling Brad was not the biggest season 9-10 fan. I could be wrong.
    That's who we need posting around here.

Edited to add: Hearty second to most comments of late. I've not seen the movie yet, so I'll reserve judgment on that, but overall... I'm itching to bust out season 4 again.
    Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
      Spoiler:
      Mitchell...who never existed in the AU was alive and well. His connection to the gate was his grandpa was the captain of the vessel that transported it through the north Atlantic. Ba'al makes it so the gate never reached it's destination and killed everyone on board. I don't know entire show cannon but I thought Rangers got the gate from the Nazi's. According to the movie the Nazi never had it in the first place and all that happened in 1939. Oye, just a plot device to shoehorn mitchell into canon.
      You're thinking of the DHD. The Gate was brought to the States by Catherine's father who worked on it there; the Nazis never had it.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
        No. Brad said movie 3 will be an O'Neill story. You can read about in Brad's interview. Mitchell was front and center in Continuum. It sounds like Brad wants RDA to be in any future movies as well. I get the feeling Brad was not the biggest season 9-10 fan. I could be wrong.
        <<is relieved>>

I remember how much he was in the movie.

I don't think Brad has said much either way. Which is appropriate for his position (and as a friend) to not dis a man's work in public.

What we infer about what *isn't* said is another thing entirely. And not a topic for this thread. I'm not slapping you down, just reinterating so we don't end up noodled. <<eyes Sky warily>>

suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Spoiler:
          I thought the gate was confiscated by the US Military to keep it out of the hands of the Nazi's and they just had Catherine’s father on the team they assembled to work on it once they put it in a secure facility. So it should have been on a military ship, shouldn’t it? Was it a military ship? Or at least on a civilian ship gaurded by many military.

Who cares, either way they have ruined more stargate to "fit in" a character that was a very crapy character and never had any direction in the actual show.

EDIT: someone felt something I said was a spoiler, but not sure what so I am spoiler tagging everything, just in case.
          Last edited by AGateFan; 03 August 2008, 09:13 AM.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Please remember to use spoiler tags.
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
              Yes and no on Sam's lack of use. The character though under used at least wasn't drastically changed like Daniel was. Though, tptb did dumb her down a bit in Stargate Command.

In some cases it seemed like there was stuff the old (real?) Sam would have been able to figure out right away, but to me it was more like Sam was--I don't know---detached? Instead of being right in there, she was kind of off on the sidelines. Unfortunately the case on much of her Atlantis stint too.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                In some cases it seemed like there was stuff the old (real?) Sam would have been able to figure out right away, but to me it was more like Sam was--I don't know---detached? Instead of being right in there, she was kind of off on the sidelines. Unfortunately the case on much of her Atlantis stint too.
                I totally agree. I think Sam fared far worse than anybody else in the transformation from SG1 to Stargate Command. Written out as SG1 leader in S9, written out as female lead in S10(despite what the credits say), dumbed down, wallpapered and made the butt of digusting jokes(the pedophile joke in FH1).

RCC said Sam had to be "isolated"(read wallpapered) in Aot because of her Atlantis schedule. Funny how BW didn't have that problem in Continuum.

Yes, still bitter. As long as RCC has any say in the SG universe, things won't change for Sam.

Mike

Comment

My thoughts on Continuum,

Spoiler:
                  It did have more of a feel of the old SG1 shows, if you can get past too much Cam Yes AT Jack was more like our old Jack, but Jack had changed in s8 and his snarkiness towards Ba'al, I thought was Jack. Was the comedy a little forced? Perhaps a bit, but I think that's what comes when the comedy is written trying to use old favourtie 'funny lines' I think Sam's reaction to Jack to being killed was right on, but I thought Daniel should have been the one to try and bring her 'out of it'. Cam just seems to me to be pushed in where he doesn't belong. He feels like the kid brother, who hangs around where he's not wanted. And YES there was too much emphasis on him during the 'year' they spent in the AT. Figures, that RCC was the one who suggested snipping Sam's scenes out in favour of Cam angst

I did love seeeing Sam flying her own plane great fighter pilot Sam! And CB as Quetesh was awesome! That's how she should have been written in S9 and 10! Not trying to fit Vala in where she didn't belong, but giving CB a character that fit into cannon of the show!

I even liked Ba'al, back to his evil (non-joke of a character) character. Him trying to convince others he was 'good' like Teal'c, just showed how evil he was. I did like Teal'c as his First Prime, Ba'al used Teal'c's desire to free his people as a way to gain his loyalty. And that desire is what brought him around to helping the SG1 he didn't know, (not sure if you can call them SG1, since they really weren't).

All in all a much better movie than AoT could ever have hoped to be. It is worth a watch to see if you'd like it or not. If it's true that Brad wants more of the old SG1 and less of Cam and Vala, then there maybe hope for future movies, if not, then I guess this will be my last movie.

Back on topic, too bad Brad didn't have more to do with S9 and 10, it may have been better
                  Last edited by Mandysg1; 03 August 2008, 08:01 PM.
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by mapsc View Post

RCC said Sam had to be "isolated"(read wallpapered) in Aot because of her Atlantis schedule. Funny how BW didn't have that problem in Continuum.

Yes, still bitter. As long as RCC has any say in the SG universe, things won't change for Sam.

Mike
                    Sounds like a typical RCC excuse for focusing on his new favorites. (ActionJackson /Danubis included) Bleh.

And yeah, I'm still bitter too, right along with you. Just like his "we don't know what to do with Sam" story when pressed by AT when S9 contracts were being handed out to everyone but her. Supposedly they didn't know if they wanted to split Sam's time between Atlantis & SG1--but the fact they hadn't figured it out by that time says something in itself.

As I recall BW or JM responded to a question about Sam being "replaced" with amazement. Maybe not in *their* minds...

Funny how MS got a big "return" episode when he took paternity leave, & Sam got an offhand comment & loss of command when AT returned from her leave.

As I've said before, as much as I hate Sam losing having command stolen, if they had just dealt with it it would have been so much better. They could have had it be political & have hostility toward Cam, but then he could win the team over. Numerous posters have come up with better scenarios here than we got on the actual show.

Instead we got a hard sell & assumption that Cam& Sam were friends w/ no backstory provided *ever* to support that. Cam did grow on me a bit by s10 but still, talk about disappointing.

RCC makes me crankyjckfan

Trying to think positive, I just think of AT getting a shot at her own show with Sanctuary.

Comment

what i think?????

Amanda is a respected actor and is a producer on a new television show. She's making hte circuit and getting known and noticed, and, personally, even if Sanctuary fails, she'll have no shortage of offers and opportunities.

Coop?????

this time next year coop will be looking for a job writing for some show or trying to get into Universe or the third movie. In other words, while he certainly has talent as a writer - and has written some danged good stuff - he - in my opinion - needs guidance and someone controlling his sillier instincts.

There IS a market for boobs, butts and bombs. Just check out scifi saturday movies. But, you know, there's also an endless market for folks to work at mcdonalds too.

In other words, writers are a dime a dozen. Individuals that have talent, respect and ability...they're a bit rarer.

Coop has pretty much reached the pinnacle of his career. I think amanda has a bit of climbing left. The ultimate irony could be him working for her some day.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        what i think?????

Amanda is a respected actor and is a producer on a new television show. She's making hte circuit and getting known and noticed, and, personally, even if Sanctuary fails, she'll have no shortage of offers and opportunities.

Coop?????

this time next year coop will be looking for a job writing for some show or trying to get into Universe or the third movie. In other words, while he certainly has talent as a writer - and has written some danged good stuff - he - in my opinion - needs guidance and someone controlling his sillier instincts.

There IS a market for boobs, butts and bombs. Just check out scifi saturday movies. But, you know, there's also an endless market for folks to work at mcdonalds too.

In other words, writers are a dime a dozen. Individuals that have talent, respect and ability...they're a bit rarer.

Coop has pretty much reached the pinnacle of his career. I think amanda has a bit of climbing left. The ultimate irony could be him working for her some day.
                        I would soooo love that.

Since you have a reputation as having great prognostic abilities, what do you see as Sam's professional position is future SG1 movies? In the Atlantis universe she's supposed to get some sort of new command position. Will her Atlantis experience be acknowledged in future SG1 movies or will it be totally ignored and she'll continue as Mitchell's 2IC? I think it'll be the latter.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mapsc View Post
                          I totally agree. I think Sam fared far worse than anybody else in the transformation from SG1 to Stargate Command. Written out as SG1 leader in S9, written out as female lead in S10(despite what the credits say), dumbed down, wallpapered and made the butt of digusting jokes(the pedophile joke in FH1).

Mike

Wow, I hadn't heard that. I know RCC tends to wallpaper sam a lot but that's just retarded.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                          Sounds like a typical RCC excuse for focusing on his new favorites. (ActionJackson /Danubis included) Bleh.

And yeah, I'm still bitter too, right along with you. Just like his "we don't know what to do with Sam" story when pressed by AT when S9 contracts were being handed out to everyone but her. Supposedly they didn't know if they wanted to split Sam's time between Atlantis & SG1--but the fact they hadn't figured it out by that time says something in itself.

As I recall BW or JM responded to a question about Sam being "replaced" with amazement. Maybe not in *their* minds...

Funny how MS got a big "return" episode when he took paternity leave, & Sam got an offhand comment & loss of command when AT returned from her leave.

As I've said before, as much as I hate Sam losing having command stolen, if they had just dealt with it it would have been so much better. They could have had it be political & have hostility toward Cam, but then he could win the team over. Numerous posters have come up with better scenarios here than we got on the actual show.

Instead we got a hard sell & assumption that Cam& Sam were friends w/ no backstory provided *ever* to support that. Cam did grow on me a bit by s10 but still, talk about disappointing.

RCC makes me crankyjckfan

Trying to think positive, I just think of AT getting a shot at her own show with Sanctuary.
                          I found how MS got a major arc and AT got sidelined and demoted appalling. The lack of forethought was evident.

I hope Sanctuary out performs Stargate at every angle.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          what i think?????

Coop?????

I get the feeling coop will be turning out stargate for sometime. Sometimes it not what you know but rather who.
                          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I dont think theres that much stargate left to turn out. I think he has successfully sent it to its death. Sure its a slow agonizing fading from existance kind of death but I think in a few years even less people will know what stargate is then do now.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

if they want to make universe to basically be a remake of seasons 9 and 10, fine. do it. not like i can stop it.

but what gave stargate its legs was its uniqueness and originality. unique and original is something that ended when we started focusing on space ships and killer cgi. the show WAS unique, now it's just cookie cutter scifi.

predicible and kinda boring. With an audience, sure. but it's more of a fickle audience that has no shortage of people deluging it with even more template shows.

It's become disposible.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Not as long as MGM is willing to sink money into the "franchise" I'm sure cooper will have a job. Even after stargate finally fade from existence I'm sure he will still have work. There's an awful lot of CEO's that have golden parachutes. I'm fairly sure tptb's parachute is far more golden than the actors.
                                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                                X