S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    well, i would imagine, when they were drawn into the interview, they expected it to be about them and their characters...not some aspect of the show that they have no real knowledge of (other than ben who has watched the eps, we have no idea if claudia has or not)

it'd be kinda like interveiwing amanda and asking her about plots on macgyver
    It sucks to be in that position, I'm sure. To me, you could kinda see where both actors were trying to maintain the candidness of an unrehearsed soundbyte, yet were trying to say something that actually made sense. In reality, asking them the question in the first place didn't make sense!

Oh well, it's just Sci Fi trying to have their cake and eat it too. The network hasn't mentioned Sam/Jack ship in an interview setting in a whole year, yet they want/need/have to have the input of CB and BB in every broadcast, so they construct these questions for two people who, as you said, would be much more comfortable hearing questions about the characters they've been nurturing. Of course, as we all know, that would be impossible, considering there won't be an episode for Stargate Mondays that features Vala until this fall, and there won't be episodes featuring Cameron for another year after that. Whatever.

I'm still excited about the interviews, though. It's a nice way to see what ALL of the actors have to say about certain aspects of the series - including BB and CB, which I don't mind ALL that much - and, for the network, it's a continual reminder of what's to come. Whoo.

Comment

putting her ahead of AT and CJ is a HUGE insult to them. Massive insult. But you have to know that she is thier new golden child and the only character that tptb seem to care about, so they're not gonna bury her name, lest we all forget that she's on the show

THe thing is, it was logical for Amanda to lead off on the 'ship' topic on last night's stack interviews. I didn't see anybody else ahead of her in the mini interviews. CB was in between BB and CJ, and I liked the progression of different opinions of ship. The 'interviews' can be taken any which way the fans want to take them. Shippers can jump up and down, and those who aren't in to the heavy-duty romance stuff can take solace in CB's very logical discourse on why you don't resolve UST.

i do think that the credits will be re-edited and will again skew heavily ben with some ben and claudia tossed in....with a token shot of the other three a piece.

They'll re-edit because CB is joining the cast. It won't be anything earth-shattering and each actor and their agent and publicist, etc., will jockey for position

I think that's why i like Atlantis' credits. Everyone is treated equally in them (with the exception of rod's 'and david hewlett')

Actually, David Hewlett has a GOOD credit. The end credits are negotiated just as much as the beginning ones. He's in a good spot.

Comment

putting her ahead of AT and CJ is a HUGE insult to them. Massive insult. But you have to know that she is thier new golden child and the only character that tptb seem to care about, so they're not gonna bury her name, lest we all forget that she's on the show

THe thing is, it was logical for Amanda to lead off on the 'ship' topic on last night's stack interviews. I didn't see anybody else ahead of her in the mini interviews. CB was in between BB and CJ, and I liked the progression of different opinions of ship. The 'interviews' can be taken any which way the fans want to take them. Shippers can jump up and down, and those who aren't in to the heavy-duty romance stuff can take solace in CB's very logical discourse on why you don't resolve UST.
        That was referring to the credits, I think.

i do think that the credits will be re-edited and will again skew heavily ben with some ben and claudia tossed in....with a token shot of the other three a piece.

They'll re-edit because CB is joining the cast. It won't be anything earth-shattering and each actor and their agent and publicist, etc., will jockey for position
        That's the thing. I honestly don't think CB or her posse would "jockey" too much in the grand scheme of things. I'm pretty sure she has no desire to overstep her bounds. It's a question of whether or not the network is willing to give CB a choice - a position many actors would love to be in, but a position that is more detrimental to the character (and the actor) in the long-run, in this case. Unfortunately.

I think that's why i like Atlantis' credits. Everyone is treated equally in them (with the exception of rod's 'and david hewlett')

Actually, David Hewlett has a GOOD credit. The end credits are negotiated just as much as the beginning ones. He's in a good spot.
        Exactly. He's treated on a slightly higher level than everyone else.

Though you wouldn't know it, with the way they all interact.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
          That was referring to the credits, I think.
          it was

That's the thing. I honestly don't think CB or her posse would "jockey" too much in the grand scheme of things. I'm pretty sure she has no desire to overstep her bounds. It's a question of whether or not the network is willing to give CB a choice - a position many actors would love to be in, but a position that is more detrimental to the character (and the actor) in the long-run, in this case. Unfortunately.

i agree. I don't think any 'divaism' is coming from the two new actors, but i do think it'll come from the network. Someon at skiffy is in love with CB and BB and apparantly will do anything and everything to get them and keep them on the show....the other three actors be danged

given the connection that those two actors have and the fanaticism i've seen from more than one scaper, i personally feel that someone at skiffy is bound and determined to recreate the show, regardless if they have to pillage an existing one to do so.

and before you say 'but it's not farscape, watch the wonderfulness that is farscape' let me remind you that these are the same folks that believed that fans would be too stupid to tell the difference between shanks and browder so had shanks grow his peach fuzz. skiffy sees fans with utter contempt and seems to believe that we are complete and total idiots.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

However nice the actors themselves may be, they can't really do much about the fact that everybody has put them up on golden pedestals.

Comment

Just to be clear I have never said anything personally against or disparaging of BB or CB (I have expressed my opinion that BBs acting does not impress me as I see him as wooden however that, IMO, is perfectly acceptable as it is one of the many reasons, not the least of which is the horrendous writing of the character, I do not care one whit about mitchell - my disgust is with TPTB and thier constant insinuation and pimping of the new characters (and for that they need to use BB and CB) into every aspect of Stargate and by including them in the Monday night thing it just serves to remind me of the utter dreck we were served in S9 while I watch some of the real, and classic SG1 - I do not need to be reminded, at every turn, of the downfall of the show and I resent it and having it forced upon me makes me resent the new characters more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I bet there WILL be. The die hard "come hell or high water I'm watching the damn show NO MATTER WHAT" attitude far outweighs the "enough is enough" and "this time they've gone too far" attitudes. There's still money to be made with Stargate and there are still those who will fork over any amount for it. No matter what.
                You maybe right but I do not think there is enough of them to warrant the cost unless S11 is finaly the "new show" TPTB wanted.
                That IMO would be the only way there would be a S11. Or actually a S1 or would it be S2.

Now I have confused myself..............

Comment

It is not about whatever theme Mondays have nor do I blame the actors for doing the job handed to them.
                  I simply dont want to see them on the one and only night left that is pure Stargate.

See--I think Stargate is in trouble--hence RDA's return and what will be over kill promotion of the golden couple.

S10 will either be the end or it will tie up some loose ends and we will see the end of long time characters and it will be on to the "new" show.
                  However--because of how mis-handled S9 was--I am not so sure that even a new show with new people (no matter how many farscape fans) will now make it unless S10 does well and I really have serious doubts about that. This of course is simply my opinion only.

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
                    It is not about whatever theme Mondays have nor do I blame the actors for doing the job handed to them.
                    I simply dont want to see them on the one and only night left that is pure Stargate.

See--I think Stargate is in trouble--hence RDA's return and what will be over kill promotion of the golden couple.

S10 will either be the end or it will tie up some loose ends and we will see the end of long time characters and it will be on to the "new" show.
                    However--because of how mis-handled S9 was--I am not so sure that even a new show with new people (no matter how many farscape fans) will now make it unless S10 does well and I really have serious doubts about that. This of course is simply my opinion only.
                    The premiere is going to tell us a whole heckuvalot about what's in store. In that one episode, we should know exactly what S10 has in store. It could be cool, or it could be ugly. We'll see.

Comment

The premiere is going to tell us a whole heckuvalot about what's in store. In that one episode, we should know exactly what S10 has in store. It could be cool, or it could be ugly. We'll see.
                      it will be wearing diapers however.

so take that as you will
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        it will be wearing diapers however.

so take that as you will
                        Intergalactic Pampers. Greaaaat.

At least it potty trains fast. Goes right from cute, helpless and slightly evil to angsty, megalomaniacal and short-sighted in twenty minutes flat. Pre-Teens are so wonderful.

Comment

Oh but didn't you know? You aren't allowed to judge a season based on a couple of eps. You can't POSSIBLY know how good or bad a season is until you've seen the whole thing.

And if you have and you still hate it, well, that's because you're a stupid liar.

Comment

Oh but didn't you know? You aren't allowed to judge a season based on a couple of eps. You can't POSSIBLY know how good or bad a season is until you've seen the whole thing.

And if you have and you still hate it, well, that's because you're a stupid liar.
                            Or just stark raving mad. If you can't see quality writing when it's staring you in the face, then you can just find another show. They don't need our viewership anyway. We don't represent the entire fanbase.

And when ratings even decline? Well, that's just because of the heavy competition over the broadcast networks. It has nothing to do with us. Nothing at all.

I'm so glad I'm not going into PR. I'd suck at it.

Comment

[sarcasm] No, no, it has nothing to do with lying. It's just because you're stupid. [/sarcasm]

*sigh*

The whole Dahok baby arc (oops, wrong demonic baby father) has me dreading the first part of the season. They dug that hole a long time ago, and I don't think they can pull themselves out of it. Oddly, I'm feeling slightly more optimistic about later episodes. Which is not to say I'm hopeful, but I'll grant the possibility that there might be some good writing at some point, because I do think the return of RDA signals some recognition of the fact that maybe, just maybe, they went astray somewhere in season 9, and they're hoping to get back on track. Of course, that might be wishful thinking... but the thought is still there.

My LJ

Comment

The whole Dahok baby arc (oops, wrong demonic baby father) has me dreading the first part of the season. They dug that hole a long time ago, and I don't think they can pull themselves out of it. Oddly, I'm feeling slightly more optimistic about later episodes. Which is not to say I'm hopeful, but I'll grant the possibility that there might be some good writing at some point, because I do think the return of RDA signals some recognition of the fact that maybe, just maybe, they went astray somewhere in season 9, and they're hoping to get back on track. Of course, that might be wishful thinking... but the thought is still there.
                                You took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly where I am right now. Part of me has the feeling that all that hope is about to be thoroughly dashed - can these people turn things around even if they wanted to? The cynic in me doubts it. But, for now, I'm kind of wishing for the best.

Albion
                                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X