S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I thought it was kind of sweet. I think in the commentary AT said CB just did it. Sam was a bit taken aback. LOL on Vala picking Sam's pocket--good point. Of course, the hug would have made a lot more sense if we had any inkling that Sam & Vala had ever even *talked* before. I mean they had next to zero interaction most of the season.

Yeah, that was retch worthy all right. Talk about forced. My eyes were rolling so much I thought they'd roll out of my head.
    I didn't mind the hug I thought it was appropriate since Sam was missing but Daniel hugging her would have been better (was Daniel gone by then?) Shopping, well I thought AT looked great don't get me started on Bounty though.

All the team moments and aww stuff just stopped even the cabin (forget the episode) poker game looked like a bunch of strangers playing it. They tried to hard to force relationships and chemistry.
    sigpic
    Thanks to lil ferrett for the picture

Comment

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I thought it was kind of sweet. I think in the commentary AT said CB just did it. Sam was a bit taken aback. LOL on Vala picking Sam's pocket--good point. Of course, the hug would have made a lot more sense if we had any inkling that Sam & Vala had ever even *talked* before. I mean they had next to zero interaction most of the season.
      That's what made it so hard to believe. Suddenly Carter and Vala have a deep best friend relationship out of nowhere! Maybe if tptb had more scenes where Vala and Sam interacted...instead of Vala hanging off Daniel;'s arm and Sam stuck babysitting Cammie...it would have come across better.

Originally posted by atfan View Post

The worst part they took the natural chemistry of AT and MS and ruined it in favor of D/V ship
      . I am not an D/S shipper but the science twins were fun to watch bouncing ideas off each other both incredibly smart and yet they were in tune with each other in ways even S/J weren't. Granted some liked the over the top flirting and sexual inuendos but to me it was worse than nails on a chalkboard.
      Nailed it right there! Sam and Daniel had nearly 8 years of idea bouncing and bonding. Heck, even Jonas contributed to the chemistry in season 6. But come season 10...everything was D/V.

Did RDA have control over Atlantis as well?

I'm not sure to what extent but Gekko was still running the show in season 8 of SG-1.

I recall RDA mentioning in an interview that he wanted to see the new show, SGA off to a good start. He sounded like he had a personal invested interest in SGA as well.

I didn't mind the hug I thought it was appropriate since Sam was missing but Daniel hugging her would have been better (was Daniel gone by then?) Shopping, well I thought AT looked great don't get me started on Bounty though.

All the team moments and aww stuff just stopped even the cabin (forget the episode) poker game looked like a bunch of strangers playing it. They tried to hard to force relationships and chemistry.
      Oooh, the cabin...gawd that was bad...wasn't it?

Beau Bridges reduced to playing a putz. The only entertaining part was a bird calls beau did.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I liked some of the Vala moments in Family Ties the shopping scene was cute and didn't seemed forced plus it was in character for Sam who took Cassie shopping with Janet.

I think they tried too hard to make Vala not a serious thief when in reality she stole the Prometheus hello not a minor pick-pocket more like a Mafia type if you ask me. We are supposed to feel sorry for her because of Quetesh but she left the Tokr'a she didn't stay to fight the Goa'uld she just left. She managed to trick Daniel again and then because of one thing, her sacrefice in Beachead we are supposed to love her. I would have rather they kept her a little edgy maybe defensive instead of making her into Daniels playmate in season ten yuck and did I mention yuck talk about no chemistry on screen heck BB and CB had better chemistry and made more sense IMHO.

The worst part they took the natural chemistry of AT and MS and ruined it in favor of D/V ship. I am not an D/S shipper but the science twins were fun to watch bouncing ideas off each other both incredibly smart and yet they were in tune with each other in ways even S/J weren't. Granted some liked the over the top flirting and sexual inuendos but to me it was worse than nails on a chalkboard.
        I don't think it was in character for Sam to parade around the base like she's on a fashion runway. Vala yas, Sam NO!
        sigpic

Comment

Who needs character when you've got teh hawtness?

(For the uninitiated, that's Silver's sarcasm.)
          Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
          http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

I though the Sam and Mitchell friendship was forced as well. IMO TPTB should change things up and not have Sam get along with everyone right off the bat. TPTB should also Let Mitchell go with Daniel once in a while and not have Sam and Mitchell pair off. IMO TPTB missed the boat by not having some tension with Sam Daniel and Teal'c with Mitchell joinging the team.

Comment

I think Gekko was long gone before Season 8. Too bad. IMO That was when the show was at it's best. i doubt very much we would have seen characters like Mitchell and Vala. Maybe as guest stars only.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                The forced bonding between Vala and Sam made me want to vomit. In all honesty, I saw more bonding between the two actresses than the characters.

The biggest mistake next to a boring bad guy was brining in CB as Vala. The best thing tptb could have done to keep cb full time was cast her as a different character all together.

Why bring her back as a character that you need to drasitcally retool in order to fit. Might as well just make a new character up that would wokr better.

After all tptb were counting on CB to attack fans and not Vala...if they were counting on Vala to attract fans they wouldn't have changed her so much.

They were determined to put CB on the team. At the same time, toptb were determined to put Mitchell on the team but not have them share much screen time due to their farscape days. Next major mistake. Take away one of the reasons people would watch the show...to see BB and CB in scenes together. CB and BB...even as different characters...still act like a little old married couple.

If tptb wanted CB to play a fun, carefree addition to the team they should have cast her as such...from season 9. Then have the character go missing and return later with a bit more maturity.

Moving Sam to SGA in season 9 would have made season 4 more acceptable for many fans, for Carter would have already been there. Maybe have Sam there as Rodney's boss and actually given Sam real bonding time with Wier. I would have liked to have seen Sam and Wier work together...might even have helped keep Wier.

If Sam was on SGA with a few Jack specials and the Daniel special it would have help boost the spin of series, given Sam a firmer footing and helped really pass the torch IMO.
                My understanding is there were contractual reasons they couldn't use Sam in SGA the way they thought they might in S9/S3. i have my own opinion about the reasons. And about the rightness both for the show and Amanda. But on GW isn't the place to air them.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

No RDA did not have any control over SGA. No Gekko. I'd think he'd want the show to get off to a good start because it was created by friends and co-workers.

I won't even touch the can of worms that brought RDA/Jack to SGA for 3 eps and SG-1 for 2 in S10.

It's painfully obvious exactly when Gekko had no more to do with SG-1.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

gekko lessened its presence from s7 through 8 and dropped totally s9 and 10

and, for those of a level of preference, the departure of gekko is directly related to an increase in stuff we didn't like.

less gekko = less 'good' stuff (bearing in mind that good is relative)
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

and, for those of a level of preference, the departure of gekko is directly related to an increase in stuff we didn't like.

i liked all the S8 arc stories. Mostly the 2 parters, though I need to rewatch (notice how I *can* rewatch S8 ) Moebius so I can see if I remember the Meh-ness right. Though some parts were fun.

Suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                        I though the Sam and Mitchell friendship was forced as well. IMO TPTB should change things up and not have Sam get along with everyone right off the bat. TPTB should also Let Mitchell go with Daniel once in a while and not have Sam and Mitchell pair off. IMO TPTB missed the boat by not having some tension with Sam Daniel and Teal'c with Mitchell joinging the team.
                        Every relation ship seemed forced on screen. The actors actually seemed to get along better OFF screen in the specials. It was like a half hearted attempt to bring tension to the show but failed miserably.

Originally posted by suse View Post
                        My understanding is there were contractual reasons they couldn't use Sam in SGA the way they thought they might in S9/S3. i have my own opinion about the reasons. And about the rightness both for the show and Amanda. But on GW isn't the place to air them.

suse
                        I seem to recall JM talking about bouncing AT between both shows. Not sure why it didn't happen...perhaps is was a contract issue but on the same token...that would make no sense either considering tptb are in charge of of both shows.

If SGA was produced by another company...then I can see such issues.

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                        I think Gekko was long gone before Season 8. Too bad. IMO That was when the show was at it's best. i doubt very much we would have seen characters like Mitchell and Vala. Maybe as guest stars only.

Thanks for clearing it up sky. I thought they were there till season 8 to some degree.

Originally posted by suse View Post
                        i liked all the S8 arc stories. Mostly the 2 parters, though I need to rewatch (notice how I *can* rewatch S8 ) Moebius so I can see if I remember the Meh-ness right. Though some parts were fun.

Suse
                        Mobius was a pain in the butt. Yes, it was fun to see Sam and Daniel dressed as nerds again, but the plot over all was very polar. It left me with a wtf feeling. Also screwed with the time line between the two shows.

Why go back in time, purposely make it so you would find the ZED before going back and then try to return to the moment that you left. (That's when the Jaffa found the ship and they were stuck). Still made no sense.

I'm not that fond of time travel stories in general because you already know the outcome. It's very predictable. There are few time travel series I ever liked. Quantum Leap could do time travel well. The suspense was always there. Sam didn't always succeed. The outcome wasn't always predictable. Al would tell Sam what he changed in the end. The stories turned around an individual's life and not around national security...which makes it personal.

When stargate does time travel...1969 was the only decent one they did because it was with a young hammond and involved personal lives of people. Mobius just didn't really accomplish that. You could have gotten the same effect...Nerdy Daniel and Carter in ripple effect. Another ep of lost potential.

Comment

Thanks for clearing it up sky. I thought they were there till season 8 to some degree.
                          they were there, but as 'jack' was less and less involved, so was gekko. I'm not sure when Greenburg totally cut all ties, but as you could see jack taking more and more time off, as rick's schedule became - i think - monday - noon thursday, he had less and less time to EP and input, and without that level of - in my opinion - rational input, things got sillier and sillier.

When you're in a sitation like that, you get more and more tired of fighting it. Life's too short and you get tired of fighting a battle every day, so you just shake your head and walk away and let it be
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

they were there, but as 'jack' was less and less involved, so was gekko. I'm not sure when Greenburg totally cut all ties, but as you could see jack taking more and more time off, as rick's schedule became - i think - monday - noon thursday, he had less and less time to EP and input, and without that level of - in my opinion - rational input, things got sillier and sillier.

When you're in a sitation like that, you get more and more tired of fighting it. Life's too short and you get tired of fighting a battle every day, so you just shake your head and walk away and let it be
                            I got the impression that Greenburg was the quality control guy--maybe the guy in PDL's "How Come? Room."

Comment

I got the impression that Greenburg was the quality control guy--maybe the guy in PDL's "How Come? Room."
                              QC...something tptb are painfully lacking.

Comment

Jackie I'm not following. The only tension I saw was between Daniel and Vala. I never saw great chemistry. I saw great chemistry between Sam Jack Daniel and Teal'c from the get go. I though welcoming Mitchell as a hero was a huge mistake and Sam Daniel and Teal'c should have had more trouble adjusting to Mitchell. Especially after Jack.

Comment

Working...
                                X