S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
    S10 and S9 were horrible. They didn't have to run to the gate or steal a ship, instead Captain Kirk beams them up in the nick of time, and unlike tangent that is boring.

<snip>

I don't care much for people killing of characters but at least make it believable and not some lame plotdevice like exploding tumors, that's an insult to the characters, the actors and the viewers.
    That magic fairy beam is the lamest excuse for a deus ex machina that I've seen in a l-o-n-g time.

The exploding tumor was bad enough, but then they brought him back. The nobody really dies in science fiction is a lousy cliche. It worked for Spock, but I don't think it's worked well since, with the possible exception of "Ripple Effect," an episode rife with other problems.
    sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
    May we all be so well loved.

Comment

I think killing the Asgard off so the humans could have their technology and beat the Ori is on par with the magic beam. There were better alternatives such as the Asgard begging the humans to help them with their problems like downloading the database into O'Neill again and ask him to design a solution to their problems or even forcing O'Neill to download the database because of the rampant virus in the clones. Wait, that would've requires actual character development and raised moral questions.

As for Daniel dying, I haven't cared for it since S5 when he died and ascended. And the Daniel is Anubis/Anubis-clone would've been a far more interesting arc than the Bori. They could've set him up to be the bad guy in S9 and S10, brought Jonas back and make the team face tough decisions as to whether or not kill him.
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

I think killing the Asgard off so the humans could have their technology and beat the Ori is on par with the magic beam. There were better alternatives such as the Asgard begging the humans to help them with their problems like downloading the database into O'Neill again and ask him to design a solution to their problems or even forcing O'Neill to download the database because of the rampant virus in the clones. Wait, that would've requires actual character development and raised moral questions.

As for Daniel dying, I haven't cared for it since S5 when he died and ascended. And the Daniel is Anubis/Anubis-clone would've been a far more interesting arc than the Bori. They could've set him up to be the bad guy in S9 and S10, brought Jonas back and make the team face tough decisions as to whether or not kill him.
        That would have meant using RDA a lot, and Coop doesn't want that...

Comment

Daniel is still eating waffles in the diner.
          Anubis should kill Jack...who goes to the diner. I would have liked to have seen Jack tell the ascended where to crap and how high.

Carter takes out Anubis after he sleeps with Vala...leaving her with sextuplets.

Vala get's her own reality show..."Vala and the demon spawns"

Mitchell gets snaked and becomes the new Ba'al. (actually, that's not a bad idea for mitchell)
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
            Daniel is still eating waffles in the diner.
            Anubis should kill Jack...who goes to the diner. I would have liked to have seen Jack tell the ascended where to crap and how high.

Carter takes out Anubis after he sleeps with Vala...leaving her with sextuplets.

Vala get's her own reality show..."Vala and the demon spawns"

Mitchell gets snaked and becomes the new Ba'al. (actually, that's not a bad idea for mitchell)
            I don't like reality shows but I would definitely see that one.

And a great idea for mitchell, maybe then his character will get something immportant and meaningful to do, and no, high school reunion doesn't count.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
              That would have meant using RDA a lot, and Coop doesn't want that...
              no, he doesn't want anything but Vaniel and the Bori

whatever.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Area 51 has been done to death. So much so that it's a main stay of pop fiction. If they wanted realistic, the ship would have been a recovered Ancient, tollen, asgrad...whatever ship that crashed.

The beam up scotty got a little predictable and really old, really fast.

Maybe a "puffer fish"
                I thought the Area 51 references to pop culture were pretty funny. Not so funny: Building a secret ship there, made from components derived from alien tech? What are the chances of sky satellites missing that? And not just the Russians.

The beam me up scotty stuff: Magic Fairy Beam/Deus Ex Machina.

Though at least in Scourge they had to do something to make the beam work thru the odd atmosphere/natural shielding.

OT (Atlantis stuff):
                Spoiler:
                What I didn't understand was hoe the beaming stuff could work thru the replicator raw material that had been condensed so tightly it was sinking into the *planet's core*.

Poor Beckett. Maybe he should have had an allergic reaction to his turtles.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

ah heck, nevada may be a lot of desert but there's no way in heck the promie could take off even just ONCE and no one sees it.

air line pilots, AF pilots from nellis, weather satellites, spy satellies....teh second that ship was based on earth and lands and takes off regularly they 'jumped the shark' in deniability and even a hint of reality
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    ah heck, nevada may be a lot of desert but there's no way in heck the promie could take off even just ONCE and no one sees it.
                    The spottes and UFO groupies at Area 51 would've had a field day and it would all be over the internet. It's the same as that Goa'uld ship landing uncloaked on Earth (Wasn't it in Kansas?), it made absolutely no sense what so ever.

And on a different note: Gaters against Lucius. Do you dislike, hate, or loath Lucius? Join!
                    Signed,

Gregorius
                    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

air line pilots, AF pilots from nellis, weather satellites, spy satellies....teh second that ship was based on earth and lands and takes off regularly they 'jumped the shark' in deniability and even a hint of reality
                      If the time setting was further back...say the 30's, early 40's and the launch was at night tptb might have been able to present the Promie with a realistic feel...providing it was a crashed asgard ship.

As far as a ship the size of the Prmoie, ect even getting off the ground. Well, that's science fiction for ya. It just has to have good special effects, not make sense.

The spottes and UFO groupies at Area 51 would've had a field day and it would all be over the internet. It's the same as that Goa'uld ship landing uncloaked on Earth (Wasn't it in Kansas?), it made absolutely no sense what so ever.

And on a different note: Gaters against Lucius. Do you dislike, hate, or loath Lucius? Join!
                      Haven't you heard? Area 51 has basically been abandoned (too much radioactive waste). The new area 51 is Micheal's AFB in Colorado.

There is also rumors of another secret base underground...the green river complex in Utah.

So much for secret bases! LOL.

Lucius?

another character that tptb thought we would all just love. reflects just how out of touch tptb are with their own fan base.

Comment

There is also rumors of another secret base underground...the green river complex in Utah.
                        No kidding? Sweet! It's even closer to home. Good fishing thereabouts, too.
                        Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                        http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                          No kidding? Sweet! It's even closer to home. Good fishing thereabouts, too.
                          Just don't eat any fish with 3 eyes...lol.

Comment

Just don't eat any fish with 3 eyes...lol.
                            Or none. <grin>
                            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                            May we all be so well loved.

Comment

I catch and release. My stepfather loves to eat fish, but I can't stand 'em.

Still... if we happen across any mutants, we may have to explore a bit...
                              Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                              http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

I've heard the phrase 'jumped the shark' several times, but have no clue what it means. Would somebody be kind enough to explain?

Comment

Working...
                                X