No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nothing stands in the way of the writers' obsession with 'easy to crank out'...for sg1 s9 and 10 it was the vaniel hour, for atlantis, it's the shep/mckay comedy duo
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's too bad they didn't realize they needed fresh blood behind the cameras not in front of them
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Very true. I feel for the other actors on Atlantis. It cannot be an easy work environment.

Comment

Changes behind the camera? That means breaking up all the fun TPTB are having writing for two characters. That's crazy talk.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
            Changes behind the camera? That means breaking up all the fun TPTB are having writing for two characters. That's crazy talk.

It's too bad also. Beacuse not only it looks like just those two characters are the show, they may also hurt the existing show in the process.

Comment

it's like....owning a restaurant and ONLY cooking what the head chef likes.

great for him, great for those that share his tastes...not great for business because it tells those of other tastes to just bugger off and go away

The key to a successful show is one that has a relatively broad appeal

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                it's like....owning a restaurant and ONLY cooking what the head chef likes.

great for him, great for those that share his tastes...not great for business because it tells those of other tastes to just bugger off and go away

The key to a successful show is one that has a relatively broad appeal
                Is that code for lowest common denominator crap? A successful show isn't necessarily a good one, just look at all the reality TV out there...

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                  Apart from interesting story-lines and characters, what things appeal to both genders and multiple age groups?
                  If the networks knew what they are then no show would ever fail, and no one would ever be surprised by the success of little shows like SG-1.

Looking above, even in a limited circle of "female sci-fi fans who love Stargate and post on Gateworld" there isn't complete agreement on what they want from a show.
                  I read a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine book by Daffyd ap Hugh years ago called Fallen Heroes. He killed off everyone. Not my cup of tea at all...to put it mildly. In fact, I passionately disliked this book. It was well-written, though, and I truly admired the craftmanship of it. I still own the book.

Since this book was written, the rules Star Trek authors have to follow have grown more restrictive. The goal is to appeal to everyone, and there's this fear that someone might not love every book they put out. Their books I now compare to pablum. They're basically Star Trek without much flavor.

Ironically, I would prefer stories not written to appeal to the common denominator. There's a lot I can forgive if it's well-written. I may not agree with it, but I'll be talking about it. In some cases, years later.

By the way, I no longer buy Star Trek books.
                  sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                  May we all be so well loved.

Comment

'reality' shows have no appeal beyond 'these are cheap to make and dude, idiots tune them in'

my point is, great for the writers if they love the shep/mckay comedy hour....but if only 20% of the current viewership enjoys that, they lose ratings whereas if they can break things up with multiple focuses, they stand a chance of more viewers because it'll have a broader appeal

which is my way of saying 'mix it up'

have some shep/mckay, just not ALL the time. Let teyla do stuff, let ronon. break up the pairings. have mckay and ronon on an adventure.

give sam something to do that isnt' all sciency.

Kinda like what they did with cameron and sam in lits.

now sam comforting a hurt cam while trying to make th science work, predictible. but by having cam having to be out of his element, it made it interesting

Break up the predictible
                    Last edited by Skydiver; 01 June 2008, 06:08 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                      What? She isn't a D cup?
                      Now seriously, I was annoyed with Cam getting command of SG-1, but heck if Amanda didn't say anything... *shrug*
                      Why would AT say anything? She's invested in the show (emotionally, not financially), and she supports it, regardless of how much or little she cares for the storylines. She also has a reputation for being a team player and a positive person to work with, and she obviously values her reputation as it is. It may be a feminine point of view, but I think in the long run, it's more effective than being abrasive.

I thought it was very telling that AT said little in public about the show once RDA left, especially in season nine.

Have you noticed she speaks of "Continuum" with more enthusiasm than "Ark of Truth?" I don't think she does it simply because of filming in the Arctic. I think she does it because she feels the story is a better one. Classic SG-1 if you will.
                      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

i agree

i think, PERSONLLY, she enjoyed one more than the other, y et she did her duty to both.

which is why, still my opinion, she's wanted in several projects and rather popular.

once she commits to something, she follows through. and she doesn't piddle in the sandbox she plays in.

she's a pro

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          i agree

i think, PERSONLLY, she enjoyed one more than the other, yet she did her duty to both.

which is why, still my opinion, she's wanted in several projects and rather popular.

once she commits to something, she follows through. and she doesn't piddle in the sandbox she plays in.

she's a pro
                          Such a lovely metaphor...
                          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                            I always found it utterly facinating how those celebs, without a proper education, can have such a huge influence in the US.
                            It's true of politicians, too. It's utterly appalling how many of them are brain dead.

Originally posted by scifithinker
                            I read a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine book by Daffyd ap Hugh years ago called Fallen Heroes. He killed off everyone. Not my cup of tea at all...to put it mildly. In fact, I passionately disliked this book. It was well-written, though, and I truly admired the craftmanship of it. I still own the book.

By the way, I no longer buy Star Trek books.
                            I had an allergic reaction to Vector Prime, but valiantly listened to my inner Star Wars nerd and trudged ahead. By the time I got about halfway through Star by Star, I had sworn off of Star Wars books. "Darker, edgier, nastier" is not better.
                            Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                            http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                              I had an allergic reaction to Vector Prime, but valiantly listened to my inner Star Wars nerd and trudged ahead. By the time I got about halfway through Star by Star, I had sworn off of Star Wars books. "Darker, edgier, nastier" is not better.
                              Nor is more fun if SG-1 is any example. Comedy and screwups, my ass.
                              sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                                Nor is more fun if SG-1 is any example. Comedy and screwups, my ass.
                                <<Iz shockt>>

Scifithinker! (Who almost never uses that language!)

I've given up on the Stargate books too. Almost none are to my liking. I keep trying but rarely get past Ch3. Actually on one, I got to page two. Then our LMAH was was referred to as 'leader' or something similar. I got hives.

I think I'll be making some returns soon, on the ones I haven't read. Sorry authors.

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X