No announcement yet.

S10: nostalgia, new viewers & the progression of SG1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The air brushing just so overdone on the SG-1 pics- in the Atlantis one of all the group looks great, but the SG-1 pics are just so fake this year, they take away from what makes the actors look so good.

Was I expecting too much?

Funnily it was the reversal for me last year, I thought the SG-1 pics were great but some of the Atlantis ones cringworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
      People don't like them??? What does it take to satisfy this fandom??? Sheesh.

I can understand that you would have liked them in uniform or if you had different hopes, but not to like them??? Seriously, this fandom is frelled-up. Well, okay, not most of them, but how whiney can some people get? Don't like the new bad guys, don't like the new characters, don't like the stories, don't even like the frelling PICTURES???

sorry. I just get so tired of the negativity sometimes...
      Right on!!!! Is there a single thing that people on this board like? If there is, I must have missed that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
        Yeah, I probably overreacted, but it's hard to be excited about something [new pics!] and then go to a thread to gush with others only to find out they don't like the stuff you do. Heh, same thing happens in the episode threads.

I can certainly understand some disappointment and that they weren't necessarily what everyone expected. Yes, the airbrushing was a bit much at times and I can understand that some people hoped they'd be in uniform. I had no problem with what Trek_ Girl42 said. I got the impression that she generally liked them, but found a few faults. That's cool. It's that some people find no redeeming quality in them. But then, to some people the pictures didn't stand a chance unless Ben and Claudia were no where near the camera and RDA was there in their stead. Sigh.
        Some people can't get past RDA gone, and Ben is to blame. I'm tired of it too.

The new photos are obviously airbrushed, no one is in uniform, and Vala's hair is weird, but who cares - most of the pics are fine. Its been such a long drought for info, I'll take anything right now.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
          The air brushing just so overdone on the SG-1 pics- in the Atlantis one of all the group looks great, but the SG-1 pics are just so fake this year, they take away from what makes the actors look so good.

Was I expecting too much?

Funnily it was the reversal for me last year, I thought the SG-1 pics were great but some of the Atlantis ones cringworthy.
          Different strokes -- I flat out disagree. The Atlantis shot is awful -- from the bad lighting, to the camera distance, to the stiffness of the poses. Teyla and Ronan (sorry can't think of the actor's names) look totally out of place and have that deer-caught-in-the-headlights look that says "what the hell am I doing here dressed in costume while the rest of the cast is dressed in casual street attire?" Whatever the thinking is (let's seperate the "aliens") it is just totally idiotic; those actors don't wear prosthetics and if you didn't watch the series you would be unaware that they portray "alien" characters. sheesh. I say lose the costumes and make it a great cast photo. Think of it as cast photos in competition with other casts of other shows. SG1 has an absolutely great looking cast.

The SG1 promo shots -- The poses, clothing and lighting make the cast as a whole look young, modern, and interesting. These are glamourized, idealized shots of the cast meant to be eye-catching and I think they are artistically successful for that purpose. Just add me to the group that appreciates and truly likes the promo shots of SG1 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
            Some people can't get past RDA gone, and Ben is to blame. I'm tired of it too.

The new photos are obviously airbrushed, no one is in uniform, and Vala's hair is weird, but who cares - most of the pics are fine. Its been such a long drought for info, I'll take anything right now.
            Same here. Gets to be too much sometimes. Oh well.

Overall, I really liked the promo pics. Airbrushed, yeah, but I don't really care. I just love seeing the team all together.

By the way, 30 days left until the season premiere. I can't freaking wait.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't mind. Personally, I'd prefer to see less individual storylines. I liked them back when the Goa'uld were always going to be involved, but you just can't involve the Ori as much now, so I'd rather see a whole season where they have to do lots of things involving the Ori.

And, as mean as this sounds, I loved watching us get smashed by the Ori in the season 9 finale. I'd love for a whole season (or just a 3-5 episode arc) to involve Earth and Jaffa ships getting smashed by the Ori. Not just ships though, on the ground aswell. Would be awesome to watch our guys run in, start shooting, only to find that each individual Ori soldier has their own personal shield just as powerful as the Ori warships. Then they just get ripped apart by those lightning rods the Ori soldiers have.

chem

Comment

I have to say while overall I like the new promo pics - I really don't appricate the airbrushing, it's just so overdone. Well, that and the fact that obviously used defused lighting, and I think they had a soft filter on aswell, and in post they sharpened the image which gives the actors a semi 2-dimesional look.

Ohh wait, yes... But apart from the fact they are more glamour shots then anything else, they are still very very nice. I just wish they didn't have to mask them, because they are all so pretty without it.
                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by chemicalNova
                  I don't mind. Personally, I'd prefer to see less individual storylines. I liked them back when the Goa'uld were always going to be involved, but you just can't involve the Ori as much now, so I'd rather see a whole season where they have to do lots of things involving the Ori.

And, as mean as this sounds, I loved watching us get smashed by the Ori in the season 9 finale. I'd love for a whole season (or just a 3-5 episode arc) to involve Earth and Jaffa ships getting smashed by the Ori. Not just ships though, on the ground aswell. Would be awesome to watch our guys run in, start shooting, only to find that each individual Ori soldier has their own personal shield just as powerful as the Ori warships. Then they just get ripped apart by those lightning rods the Ori soldiers have.

chem
                  It's not mean if ultimately you want our guys to win. It would make the win more powerful if they keep losing battles to the Ori throughout much of the season only to find a way to win the war at the end - or to at least seem hopeful for winning the war at the end of season - can't get rid of these bad guys too quickly if we want them back for seasons 11 through 20.

But maybe losing all the battles only to win the war would seem unrealistic, so, I think, win some battles, lose some... it still makes a dramatic victory whenever we make large strides against the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man

Overall, I really liked the promo pics. Airbrushed, yeah, but I don't really care. I just love seeing the team all together.

Time has been flying by. Before you know it, season 10 of SG-1 and season 3 of Atlantis will be here.

Comment

Happy, Happy! Only 30 days left.

I really LIKE the odd little line on Ben's forehead above his eyebrow...he raises the one eyebrow for a puzzled look. Wish they hadn't airbrushed it out.

Comment

I think they airbrushed Claudia the most. She's the only one that has that "plastic" look that some people are talking about. Maybe Chris a little. Ben looks pretty natural. They left in that freckle/whatever on his left cheek. I love that freckle. I think the picture of Ben and Amanda looks very natural. It's my favorite!!!

edited to add: Yeah, I just went back and looked at each one blown up on my 19" screen. Claudia is really the only one that looks bad. Claudia, honey, they did you wrong!!!

Ben? Hot.

Comment

...By the way, 30 days left until the season premiere. I can't freaking wait.
                          Oh, man! I'm with you on that subject!

IMO, one of the elements that made Season 7 so good was the unique situations
                          that the characters were put in, plenty of combat, great
                          character attitudes, humor, spectacular special effects, and even some
                          sex appeal ("Birthright"). All these features really made the audience feel like
                          you were on another planet, or eating donuts with the same people that
                          go to such places. ("Chimera")

I hope that Season 10 has all these elements because Season 7 is hard to compete against!
                          sigpic

Comment

Speaking of dougnuts, I wonder where Teal'c buys his doughnuts from.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                              Speaking of dougnuts, I wonder where Teal'c buys his doughnuts from.
                              Krispy Kreme, of course. I wish I could find the photo, but, a long time ago someone here posted a photo where they inserted a box of Krispy Kreme donuts into Teal'c's hands as he was coming through the Stargate. It was a great photo.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Krispy Kreme, of course. I wish I could find the photo, but, a long time ago someone here posted a photo where they inserted a box of Krispy Kreme donuts into Teal'c's hands as he was coming through the Stargate. It was a great photo.
                                LMAO! That would make a great wallpaper.

Comment

Working...
                                X