Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leksa View Post
    Hi all,
    I just found your thread and decided to join you.
    Welcome! As you can see, we're supposed to be discussing Flesh and Blood, right now. But several of us are a bit busy (will watch it tonight!). But you're more than welcome to join our discussion.

What do you like most about season 10? Or about Flesh and Blood in particular?
    Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
    Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I'm Italian and in Italy Sg1 it's aired on satellite and since I haven't satellite you can imagine how I watched the show....I watched the first 9 season of Sg1 in a month and a half, from mid March 2006 to the end of April 2006, but I watched them randomly, beginning with PU and Icon, and then following backward and forward the Daniel arc, but basically I watched almost all season 9 first. Before that I've never had to wait 6 months to watch an ep Flesh and Blood it was the ep that brought me in sync with all of you, allowing me to follow and discuss the show with you, and that show me how much I was addicted to the show since the waiting, 6 months!!!!! it was driving me crazy!!! I've never felt that way about a show. Just for that I love FaB, but I like the ep for the Daniel/Vala relationships, and because Camelot left me really, really hanging on a cliff!!!
      sigpic
      Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
        Welcome! As you can see, we're supposed to be discussing Flesh and Blood, right now. But several of us are a bit busy (will watch it tonight!). But you're more than welcome to join our discussion.

What do you like most about season 10? Or about Flesh and Blood in particular?
        I'll watch it tonight, so I can join in. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hi all,
          I just found your thread and decided to join you.
          Hi, leksa! Welcome!! I'm happy you enjoy season ten! I'll be watching Flesh and Blood soon too.

Originally posted by madaboutdanny View Post
          I'm Italian and in Italy Sg1 it's aired on satellite and since I haven't satellite you can imagine how I watched the show....I watched the first 9 season of Sg1 in a month and a half, from mid March 2006 to the end of April 2006, but I watched them randomly, beginning with PU and Icon, and then following backward and forward the Daniel arc, but basically I watched almost all season 9 first. Before that I've never had to wait 6 months to watch an ep Flesh and Blood it was the ep that brought me in sync with all of you, allowing me to follow and discuss the show with you, and that show me how much I was addicted to the show since the waiting, 6 months!!!!! it was driving me crazy!!! I've never felt that way about a show. Just for that I love FaB, but I like the ep for the Daniel/Vala relationships, and because Camelot left me really, really hanging on a cliff!!!
          I also love Daniel and Vala. I don't think Camelot was the name of the season nine finale was it? I thought Camelot was the episode before it? Am I on crack? *DVDS are across the room.... that's so far away!* LOL.
          sigpic
          Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
          I'm a 60%er!
          ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

I'll watch it tonight, so I can join in. Thanks for the tip.
            You can discuss anything else about season 10, too! We're easy-going here.

Originally posted by Iawen View Post
            I don't think Camelot was the name of the season nine finale was it? I thought Camelot was the episode before it? Am I on crack? *DVDS are across the room.... that's so far away!* LOL.
            Crusade first, then Camelot. So yes, Camelot was the season 9 finale (I just double-checked ).

And I finally got around to watching F&B!

So, I'll start with Stef's general discussion questions:
            1. What is your favorite/best scene?
            I think my favorite scene is when Daniel sneaks up on Vala when she returns to her room. I love their following conversation. Daniel looks a little baffled all the way through their conversation. Vala makes several interesting points about Adria, but Daniel seems to be so taken aback at her honesty and openness, that he's not quite sure what to make of Vala's behavior. Anyway, the scene makes me laugh, but it also serves as a wonderful set up for the way Daniel and Vala will come to trust each other and learn how to be honest with each other as the season progresses (I'm not exactly a die-hard DV shipper, but I do love seeing the way their friendship develops).

My other favorite scene is probably the beginning with Sam floating in space and Cameron slowly regaining consciousness. There's a very bleak feeling to the scene, and the relief Sam and Cam express when they contact each other is so palatable. It's just a powerful scene, and really shows the sense of desperation in the wake of the battle.

2. If you could change one aspect or scene from this episode, what would it be?
            Okay, so now that I've thought about it, I agree with Stef that they should have focused more on the attack on Chulak and drawn out that plot line. I think it would have to have been a three-parter to make it work, but it would have been nice to see the invasion of Chulak in detail. And now I'm sort of fond of my formerly off-handed suggestion that it would have been interesting to have SG-1 involved in a ground defense of Chulak. And if Daniel and Vala had tried to escape like Daniel suggested (instead of trying to capture Adria and then escape as Vala insisted) they could have eventually met up with the Jaffa army and SG-1. It could have shown the desperate plight of the Jaffa, and their determination to stand against the Ori. As a matter of fact, I'm so enamored of this idea, that I'd love to write it as a fanfic. If only I had the time.

The only other thing I would change... I wish that Daniel and Vala would have had a better plan. It sounds like they were planning on stunning Adria with Daniel's ori-zat-like-gun, and then escaping somehow. I find it doubtful that they would have been able to sneak Adria off the ship, so I wish they had explained precisely what they planned to do.

3. How would you rate this episode (from 1-10, 10 being the best)?
            I'll give it an 8.5. I feel like all the characters were served fairly well (even though they were all in different places). The episode was fast-paced, advanced the plot, had an important new twist to the Ori plot line, and adds an even greater sense of jeopardy. All in all, a very solid episode with no serious issues to distract from the story. And I always feel just a bit tense with the suspense at the end, which is a sign of a good episode.

4. Did this episode change your opinions about anything: character-wise, story-wise?
            The first time I watched it, my view of Vala changed. I think she's more open and honest here with Daniel, and she also shows that she's insightful in her dealings with Adria. I see her as a much more serious character in this season, and that starts right in this episode.

On a different note... on this viewing I was very impressed with the writing for Adria. You can see her change with each new actress. Her arguments are initially very childlike. She appeals to Vala's feelings, relies on a belief that "truth" and "justice" are all that matter. She's very idealistic. Then in the last scene, she's less of a cute child and more of a creepy villain with many tricks up he sleeve. Her arguments become more deceptive, and it's more obvious that she's hiding something, that she's trying to manipulate the entire situation. It's a very interesting progression and I think it was played quite well.

By the way, I also like Emerson in this one. I always laugh when he asks, "How about some good news? Anyone?" He makes a nice commander for the Odyssey.
            Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
            Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

You can discuss anything else about season 10, too! We're easy-going here.
              Thanks. But I ended up watching the show, after all...
              I hope you'll find my "two cents" worth of attention.

I think my favorite scene is when Daniel sneaks up on Vala when she returns to her room. I love their following conversation. Daniel looks a little baffled all the way through their conversation. Vala makes several interesting points about Adria, but Daniel seems to be so taken aback at her honesty and openness, that he's not quite sure what to make of Vala's behavior. Anyway, the scene makes me laugh, but it also serves as a wonderful set up for the way Daniel and Vala will come to trust each other and learn how to be honest with each other as the season progresses (I'm not exactly a die-hard DV shipper, but I do love seeing the way their friendship develops).
              Nice choice. Gosh, I need to look the previous season again to remind myself of what was going on...

Okay, so now that I've thought about it, I agree with Stef that they should have focused more on the attack on Chulak and drawn out that plot line.
              Personally, I do not like the battle scenes so I'm not with you on this one.

The only other thing I would change... I wish that Daniel and Vala would have had a better plan. It sounds like they were planning on stunning Adria with Daniel's ori-zat-like-gun, and then escaping somehow. I find it doubtful that they would have been able to sneak Adria off the ship, so I wish they had explained precisely what they planned to do.
              Yeah, I was a tad annoyed with this too.

4. Did this episode change your opinions about anything: character-wise, story-wise?
              The first time I watched it, my view of Vala changed. I think she's more open and honest here with Daniel, and she also shows that she's insightful in her dealings with Adria. I see her as a much more serious character in this season, and that starts right in this episode.
              Good point. I have slightly different view, I'll explain it below.

Actually it was more series of the scenes, all of those when Vala shows her motherly emotions toward her child. I loved to see how this inner fight was shown. She wished to show care for her child, and at the same time she was repulsed by the Ori nature of it. That showed a depth in the character.

The behavior of the alliance. I cannot see that leader of the alliance would be so stupid not to see what is really at stake. To became such a leader he had to be cunning and smart and portraying him as ordinary thug just to keep our "heroes" clean from cooperating with the criminals is silly. Every adult on this planet knows that most of the corporation leaders have similar "modus operandi" as the leaders of the huge criminal organizations. Just take the weapon industry as the example. It seemed to me that the cooperation with the alliance was sacrificed just to keep the "good" guys good.

3. How would you rate this episode (from 1-10, 10 being the best)?

Well, 7. It's not my favorite, although it did give nice development to a several characters in it.

Vala, I stopped seeing her as the comic relief in the show and saw that there are depths within her. I started to see the suffering the character went trough as the main reason of her mistrust and preference towards the con art. The main reason for her behaving as the comic relief in the first place.

Comment

Crusade first, then Camelot. So yes, Camelot was the season 9 finale (I just double-checked ).
                Oh, okay, cool. Thanks for checking!

And I finally got around to watching F&B!

My other favorite scene is probably the beginning with Sam floating in space and Cameron slowly regaining consciousness. There's a very bleak feeling to the scene, and the relief Sam and Cam express when they contact each other is so palatable. It's just a powerful scene, and really shows the sense of desperation in the wake of the battle.
                These are my favorite scenes of the episode too. I adore Sam and Cam's friendship--I loved their relief that each other were okay, and even though it was short, their shared concern and grief that Daniel was likely still aboard the Korlev. Its moments like this that you see just how much of a family SG-1 is.

On a different note... on this viewing I was very impressed with the writing for Adria. You can see her change with each new actress. Her arguments are initially very childlike. She appeals to Vala's feelings, relies on a belief that "truth" and "justice" are all that matter. She's very idealistic. Then in the last scene, she's less of a cute child and more of a creepy villain with many tricks up he sleeve. Her arguments become more deceptive, and it's more obvious that she's hiding something, that she's trying to manipulate the entire situation. It's a very interesting progression and I think it was played quite well.
                ITA with you about the writing of Adria. They handled her age progression really well; I completely believed it. I usually find that magically aging kids like this just doesn't work and shouldn't be done-this is one case where I disagree.

By the way, I also like Emerson in this one. I always laugh when he asks, "How about some good news? Anyone?" He makes a nice commander for the Odyssey.
                LOVE Emerson!
                sigpic
                Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
                I'm a 60%er!
                ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

Personally, I do not like the battle scenes so I'm not with you on this one.
                  I usually don't like space battle scenes, but I find ground battles more palatable. You're right though, if they had focused on Chulak, it would have been hard to sustain the interest unless there was something going on besides just a battle.

The behavior of the alliance. I cannot see that leader of the alliance would be so stupid not to see what is really at stake. To became such a leader he had to be cunning and smart and portraying him as ordinary thug just to keep our "heroes" clean from cooperating with the criminals is silly. Every adult on this planet knows that most of the corporation leaders have similar "modus operandi" as the leaders of the huge criminal organizations. Just take the weapon industry as the example. It seemed to me that the cooperation with the alliance was sacrificed just to keep the "good" guys good.
                  I hadn't really thought about the Lucian Alliance much, but you're right. They did seem to misunderstand the importance (and danger) of the Ori attack. And it always seemed weird to me that he accused Earth of setting them up to be killed in the battle when the Earth ships were also severely damaged or destroyed.

Vala, I stopped seeing her as the comic relief in the show and saw that there are depths within her. I started to see the suffering the character went trough as the main reason of her mistrust and preference towards the con art. The main reason for her behaving as the comic relief in the first place.
                  Good points and I agree. This episode really helped me see Vala differently. Like you said earlier, I think it gave her a new depth that wasn't there before, especially watching her interact with Adria.

These are my favorite scenes of the episode too. I adore Sam and Cam's friendship--I loved their relief that each other were okay, and even though it was short, their shared concern and grief that Daniel was likely still aboard the Korlev. Its moments like this that you see just how much of a family SG-1 is.
                  There are quite a few little moments in this episode that emphasize how much the team cares about each other. Obviously they have bigger issues at stake with the recent battle with the Ori, but I like that they always ask about each other. Sam and Cam have the best reunion, but the others are very nice too. And Sam's determination when she explains to Emerson that they want to see if they can make contact with Daniel... so sweet. As is the relief in her voice when she finally contacts Daniel. So, yes, I totally agree that this episode shows off the family bond between the team.

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I hadn't really thought about the Lucian Alliance much, but you're right. They did seem to misunderstand the importance (and danger) of the Ori attack. And it always seemed weird to me that he accused Earth of setting them up to be killed in the battle when the Earth ships were also severely damaged or destroyed.
                    You know, the whole plot would be more plausible if they show him taking some drug.
                    At least that would explain erratic and illogical behavior.

Comment

You know, the whole plot would be more plausible if they show him taking some drug.
                      At least that would explain erratic and illogical behavior.
                      LOL! Well, they are essentially drug dealers, so who knows? Or maybe he's just paranoid. We do see Netan acting really paranoid later.

I always thought it was interesting that SG-1 often calls in other groups who have ships to try and help them out... even if it's the owner of said ships is someone they would normally be fighting. How many times did they call in Yu to attack someone for them? At least three times (Abyss, Full Circle, and Fallen). So, it's very in-character for SG-1 to try to enlist help from shady characters. It makes sense with the SGC's teamwork mentality. But somehow, it rarely works out as planned.

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

LOL! Well, they are essentially drug dealers, so who knows? Or maybe he's just paranoid. We do see Netan acting really paranoid later.

I always thought it was interesting that SG-1 often calls in other groups who have ships to try and help them out... even if it's the owner of said ships is someone they would normally be fighting. How many times did they call in Yu to attack someone for them? At least three times (Abyss, Full Circle, and Fallen). So, it's very in-character for SG-1 to try to enlist help from shady characters. It makes sense with the SGC's teamwork mentality. But somehow, it rarely works out as planned.
                        Yeah, you're right. There is always something wrong in those situations. As the writers are afraid to show that the there is possible to have a cooperation even with the not-so-good characters. Perhaps, they thought it might damage the overall image of the team.
                        I just have an discussion about the Vala's acceptance in the team on the other thread and that act is consider to seriously damage the team reputation.
                        So perhaps, the same logic can be applied to this cooperation. If the team continued such thing their reputation would be endangered, while the "bad guy" would not be so bad anymore. The contrast would be lost.

Comment

I am so sorry I never watched Flesh and Blood. I might be able to get around to it Thursday or Friday. I definitely meant to do it but real life has been really unkind to me this past week.
                          sigpic
                          I'm a 60%er!
                          ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

i have to say I enjoyed season 10, having gotten into SG1 properly with season 10 I enjoyed it and it made me go back and watch from the movie with KR and JS to the 1st season of SG1 and all seasons plus Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by adamisme View Post
                              i have to say I enjoyed season 10, having gotten into SG1 properly with season 10 I enjoyed it and it made me go back and watch from the movie with KR and JS to the 1st season of SG1 and all seasons plus Atlantis
                              Hi adamisme! Welcome to the thread. I'm glad you enjoyed S10; we enjoy it a lot here too.
                              sigpic
                              I'm a 60%er!
                              ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

I am so sorry I never watched Flesh and Blood. I might be able to get around to it Thursday or Friday. I definitely meant to do it but real life has been really unkind to me this past week.
                                That's okay, we all understand real life issues.
                                Spoiler:
                                And I hope you're doing okay. I've been praying for your family ((HUGS))

Originally posted by adamisme View Post
                                Welcome! Anything in particular you liked about season 10?

Personally, I loved the complexities in the Ori story arc. I think it was thematically a much richer and deeper story line. I simply don't understand the people who claim that season 9 and 10 were too light and filled with over-the-top humor. Did they not notice the dark themes in the Ori storyline? The reason I think it's more complex than the Goa'uld is that the Goa'uld were just pretending. Everyone knew that. It was just manipulation, and the Goa'uld were cruel and selfish, but that was it. They had no other motives. With the Ori, the issues aren't as clear. They are powerful, they are more knowledgeable. So it deal with how power should be used. Can that kind of power be used without being abused? And another interesting question... what if the Ori had been ascending their followers? If that was the case, then it would be harder to say that the Origin was wrong or entirely bad. As it is, they admit that there are good teachings in Origin, it's just the crusading and slaughtering part that's wrong. So basically, I feel like there are a lot more shades of gray with the Ori than with the Goa'uld. And it really helps us look the nature of belief. What does it mean to believe something, and how do you apply your beliefs. Very interesting themes.

Anyway, I think we should still continue our re-watch and discussion here, but for the next two weeks I'm going to be pretty busy, so I might not be stopping by here very often.

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                                X