• Show
Clear All

SEASON 10 rox

sigpic
    Sig made by squirrely1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

So I went the anti-season ten forum first, mostly out of morbid curiosity but also to read opinions that are different than mine, because I always like to see how differently people see things. I couldn't get very far and I had to come over to this thread because season ten is one of my favorite seasons (or possibly my favorite season), with some of my favorite episodes (The Shroud, The Quest, 200). I think that Mitchell and Vala were great additions to the cast and the way they were both written in was very well done. They gave Vala great character growth in season nine before she became a regular in season ten, and even though Ben Browder was a replacement for RDA, Mitchell did not replace Jack. Love that. Love that. Even when characters had their own things going on, the bond of SG-1 was always there and it was always real. Season ten was very well written, IMO, and I think the actors wouldn't have been willing to sign on for a season eleven, or the two movies that they did, if hadn't been.
      sigpic
      Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
      I'm a 60%er!
      ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Iawen View Post
        So I went the anti-season ten forum first, mostly out of morbid curiosity but also to read opinions that are different than mine, because I always like to see how differently people see things. I couldn't get very far and I had to come over to this thread because season ten is one of my favorite seasons (or possibly my favorite season), with some of my favorite episodes (The Shroud, The Quest, 200). I think that Mitchell and Vala were great additions to the cast and the way they were both written in was very well done. They gave Vala great character growth in season nine before she became a regular in season ten, and even though Ben Browder was a replacement for RDA, Mitchell did not replace Jack. Love that. Love that. Even when characters had their own things going on, the bond of SG-1 was always there and it was always real. Season ten was very well written, IMO, and I think the actors wouldn't have been willing to sign on for a season eleven, or the two movies that they did, if hadn't been.
        Hey, welcome! Glad to see someone else who loves S10 (sometimes it feels as if that group is in short supply)! I agree with pretty much everything you said. It always puzzles me when someone says that there is no 'bond' between the team in the later seasons, or that they feel the relationships are 'forced,' because the relationship between the team is one of the reasons I fell in love with the show in S10. I hadn't watched a show since "Farscape" that had such a strong sense of family

ITA about S11. A lot of time actors are very much 'wait and see' if they feel the storylines are iffy or that maybe the show has reached its end, but it really is a testament to the quality of S10 (and the direction of S9) that the cast and crew was ready to sign up for yet another season I think JM even said he was angry and shocked because for the first time they felt like they were good for another season - that's how confident he felt about S10.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hey Stef!

I agree with you in return! The dynamics among SG-1 were definitely different in the later seasons but still definitely there and definitely strong. Mitchell's friendships with everyone do not look like Jack's friendships with everyone, and that's one of the many reasons why the way he was written in worked so well. And as for Vala, well her character was so different from anything Stargate had ever done before, and her dynamic with each character was also very different but very believable, and (for me) very enjoyable.

I'm a very picky person about friendships and family stuff on TV; very few shows satisfy me in that respect, actually. But this show rarely ever disappointed me and season ten would be very far down the list in the places where it did. (And I actually forgive them almost all of those times because I could usually get the reasoning behind it.)
          sigpic
          Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
          I'm a 60%er!
          ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel-Kree View Post
            Merry Christmas to everyone in here
            I second that. I wish everyone a very happy and safe Holiday.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm bumping this up because... well, it's wrong that the anti-season ten thread has more activity, LOL. (Well, in my opinion it's wrong.)

So I'll say something pro-season ten just to legitimize this post. One of the things I love most about The Shroud is that we get to see O'Neill working with SG-1 with Cam and Vala. Having all of them working together like that is awesome. Would love to see that going on in the future movie.
              sigpic
              I'm a 60%er!
              ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

^ The Shroud was an episode that I was looking forward to, but I must admit it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. I feel that TPTB haven't really explored the interaction between Jack & Cam/Vala. I know they lacked the opportunity in S10 and the Movies but it's something I'd like to see in the future.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amaunet View Post
                  ^ The Shroud was an episode that I was looking forward to, but I must admit it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. I feel that TPTB haven't really explored the interaction between Jack & Cam/Vala. I know they lacked the opportunity in S10 and the Movies but it's something I'd like to see in the future.
                  I agree. I think Jack/Cam haven't shared a good 'moment' since Origin...and Jack/Vala never have, which is odd given some of their similarities and all of the fun the writers could have with them. I fully admit that I am not a Jack fan, but I'd still have been (and would be) interested in seeing the relationships between his character and the newer ones explored. I liked the friendship they created between him and Landry at least

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Stef View Post
                    I agree. I think Jack/Cam haven't shared a good 'moment' since Origin...and Jack/Vala never have, which is odd given some of their similarities and all of the fun the writers could have with them. I fully admit that I am not a Jack fan, but I'd still have been (and would be) interested in seeing the relationships between his character and the newer ones explored. I liked the friendship they created between him and Landry at least

-Stef
                    I always expected that the writers would show some sort of interaction between Vala & Jack. I'm surprised they haven't yet, as both characters have vibrant and somewhat eccentric personalities...I think it would be hilarious to see them together
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
                      SEASON 10 rox
                      No argument from me! Thanks for the hit-and-run post!

WELCOME to the thread! And I agree. I think the cancellation was a surprise to the cast 'cause they were all feeling really good about what they'd done in seasons 9 and 10.

I'm stoked that you don't see Cam as "replacing" Jack. I loved RDA's version of Jack and could feel the loss in season 9, but Cam was such a different character I just don't get how people can still claim that he was a "replacement" for Jack.

You're very brave for venturing into an "anti" thread.

I wish they'd done more with Jack and Vala, too. I think it could be very interesting... and quite funny, especially with Daniel around. I'm pretty sure Jack would be wondering why Daniel was letting Vala get away with so much.

I'd also like to see something along the lines of "team interaction" between Cam and Jack. The few times they are on-screen together, it's so static and conversational, it's almost boring.

BTW, I'd green all three of you as welcomes to the thread, but I'm on the 24-hour ban.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I was thinking about it really hard and I just don't really get people's extreme hatred for Cam. He is a very different character from Jack, and his friendships with the rest of SG-1 look very different from Jack's as well.

I suppose I could understand not liking Vala a little more; my best friend thought I might hate her. If you take her too seriously you won't enjoy her, and a lot of people are a lot harder on female characters than they are on male characters (myself included in that I've come to realize). That said, I think she's great.

*Much love for season ten*
                        sigpic
                        I'm a 60%er!
                        ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I was thinking about it really hard and I just don't really get people's extreme hatred for Cam. He is a very different character from Jack, and his friendships with the rest of SG-1 look very different from Jack's as well.

I suppose I could understand not liking Vala a little more; my best friend thought I might hate her. If you take her too seriously you won't enjoy her, and a lot of people are a lot harder on female characters than they are on male characters (myself included in that I've come to realize). That said, I think she's great.

*Much love for season ten*
                          I suppose not every character can be liked, although I think Cam got the short end of the stick in that regard, but everyone has their reasons. I've heard plenty of arguments in regards to early season 9 Cam that I completely understand even if I don't support. Then again, other people give no reason at all for their dislike and just mock him like it's a sport Whatever. I'm in no position to judge, after all, I don't like Jack...an opinion that isn't widely shared. Although I do have MANY reasons for this - one of them being Season 6.

I happen to love Cam and think he was a great addition to the team, as was Vala. In regards to the latter, I think you made a great point about female characters. I've never personally subscribed to the idea that fictional characters should be role models, all I ever look for is a character who is complex and dynamic - and Vala fits that bill for me But like you said, for a character like that it often becomes a love it/hate it kind of thing.

Can't win them all, as they say

-Stef

Comment

Cam was a character that took a while for many people to warm up to and even though he's still not loved by all, I think he's been accepted by the general fanbase
                            I've found that some characters change and you begin to like them more or less...I found that Daniel was one of my favourite characters in earlier seasons, but I never raved over the character in seasons 9&10. Which I always have felt was strange
                            sigpic

Comment

I pretty much liked both Cam and Vala from the very beginning. So, I consider myself a lucky fan. I thought Seasons 9 and 10 added some of the best ever SG-1 episodes.

As for Jack interacting more with Mitchell and Vala, I too would like to see a lot more of it. Actually, that is what I am kind of hoping for in this third SG-1 movie.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Cam was a character that took a while for many people to warm up to and even though he's still not loved by all, I think he's been accepted by the general fanbase
                                I've found that some characters change and you begin to like them more or less...I found that Daniel was one of my favourite characters in earlier seasons, but I never raved over the character in seasons 9&10. Which I always have felt was strange
                                I think some of the anger and bitterness has died down for the latter seasons...perhaps because fans have a new target *cough* SGA *cough* Keller *cough* I've noticed it with D/V, there are obviously still people that'll never like those two together (some probably even on this thread) but it seems like the intense "I'm going to go to every thread and bash them" has died down some in the past year. I haven't kept abreast of the Cam situation, but I know there is a fair number of people who at the very least enjoy some of the Cam/Sam interactions even if they don't love his character. I suppose that's progress. I was actually surprised to see in the Ultimate Ship Tournament that's currently underway that Cam/Carolyn is one of the top couples. So clearly some people must like him in some capacity! Honestly though, I think this board has a tendency to focus on the negatives (which is why there are like 100 anti-X threads in the characters/relationship section) which gives you a distorted sense of the audience's opinions. I bet if you went out there and polled all of the fans and asked them what they thought of characters like Cam and Vala, you'd get a positive reaction. You'll have some that love 'em, some that loathe them, but most would probably fall into the middle somewhere.

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                                I pretty much liked both Cam and Vala from the very beginning. So, I consider myself a lucky fan. I thought Seasons 9 and 10 added some of the best ever SG-1 episodes.

As for Jack interacting more with Mitchell and Vala, I too would like to see a lot more of it. Actually, that is what I am kind of hoping for in this third SG-1 movie.
                                Lucky! Granted, I didn't watch regularly until S10. I tuned in to early S9 to catch my Farscape people but I lost track of the show for whatever reason. I LOVED CB as Vala right away, but BB as Crichton was such a stronger presence in my mind I think, that it took me longer to disassociate him with that character and look at him as Mitchell. Because I think for the longest time I had him pegged as a poor-man's Crichton - but after I watched the show some more that stigma disappeared and I fell in love with Cam for his own merits...and after AOT and Continuum he surpassed Daniel as my second favorite character (after Vala).

-Stef

Comment

Working...
                                X