No announcement yet.

There But For the Grace of God (119)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a while since I actually saw the episode but wouldn't the AU SFs confiscate all his stuff when they arrested/confined him away?
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

It's been a while since I actually saw the episode but wouldn't the AU SFs confiscate all his stuff when they arrested/confined him away?
      Good point! That is almost certainly true, I think. It's possible that he could have gotten them back, but by that time, things were going to hell in a handbasket.
      Last edited by amconway; 12 February 2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I don't remember seeing a handbasket.

Comment

Originally posted by _Ancients_ View Post
          So why didn't Daniel use his video camera to record the alternate reality? The video obviously survives since he was able to show the AU crew what his universe looks like. I think it would have been a lot easier to explain what happened to the people in his reality when he got back. Anyways, I just re-watched the episode and I was curious on why he didn't do it.
          maybe it didn't cross his mind considering what he was experiencing, if that happened to me i would not be like, OH I SHOULD GET THE VIDEO CAMERA THIS IS AMAZING. i'd be like, err i wanna get back to my reality rtfn

Comment

Stargate SG-1 - HULU: Stargate SG1 Season 1 Now On HULU:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....65&postcount=1

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Hmm, what residuals go out to those involved with the production for online content?

Oh, that's right. NONE.

I won't be downloading.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Hmm, what residuals go out to those involved with the production for online content?

Oh, that's right. NONE.

I won't be downloading.
                Well, the production company and MGM certainly get something. I think the writers get something as negotiated in their last contract. The actors may not. If they do get anything, I know they want more. You know it's not a download and that Hulu is entirely legal, right? You're just watching it online.

Comment

So is watching online content on any of the network web sites. Legal, that is. But I won't support something like that unless everyone involved gets their cut of it. The actors, since their contract is currently in negotiation and the AMPTP isn't budging on it, currently don't.
                  sigpic

Comment

This was a good episode, it is hard to 'love' this episode for some reason, but I liked it and thought it was nessecary. I think for me it is so tense and dramatic that I am on edge the whole time, so it is harder to sit back and enjoy more. The alternate reality was much darker and more serious, I see alternate realities as a chance to explore a darker side anyway, even in Star Trek, have they ever really gone to a 'lighter' alternate reality where everything is happy and awesome? It is also a way to show a worst case scenario without having to deal with plot consequences in a normal reality, you simply can't destroy the entire earth in a normal reality, that would be hard to follow up, unless it is magically there in the next episode. So for me, the show was dark and tense but it was supposed to be.

It has been asked earlier, if in the alternate reality Daniel Jackson was still studying the possibility of alien life forms, pyramid ships, etc, why did he refuse to join the stargate program? That would have to be a pretty big reason, not a simple, "study the real versions of my theory or be ignored by the entire scientific community. Ah, I don't feel like dealing with real alien technology, I'll just keep studying this pyramid."

They made it seem like the alternate Jackson just changed his mind because he didn't feel like it. I could speculate as to reasons but the show gave no reasons so I would just be guessing.

O'Niell was very serious in this episode, I think it implied that if he had been completely straight and not such a joker he may have advanced to a higher rank earlier. The reality is that he gets advanced in rank in the original reality too, but the military doesn't always like jokers, and perhaps his superiors would have taken him more seriously if he was constantly serious. I could imagine a completely serious O'Neill running the entire stargate program. Of course, I prefer joking O'Niell, I just think that may be part of it. Total destruction of earth also may have made him more serious than normal.

I like the conversations about what the alternate reality people did that made for a full scale attack. A simple answer could be that instead of doing things to upset the Goa'uld, they just didn't have enough defenses, didn't have the right contacts such as Teal'c, and didn't meet the right people and get the technology at the right time. Alternate reality Jack seemed pretty gung ho with the bombs, maybe they had been too rash or militaristic in their dealings and this resulted in an escalating contact with the Goa'uld. But the reality is, when Daniel goes back, he sees the Goa'uld attack as inevitable in HIS reality, so they can't have done that much different.

Watching it again, to me when he touches the mirror it is a bit annoying. First he completely disobeys Jack's order, not realizing that there is a giant sign saying get out of here and that the surface is a biohazard. He should have just taken Jacks word on this and gotten out, requested to return at a later time with a team of scientests. Then he turns on an alien technology sees something that resembles a portal and touches it. I realize it is curiosity but watching it a second time it is like, what are you doing? Go back and don't touch it! The reality is, he got some good intel, including a gate address, so his trip might have saved his own world.

Comment

Finally, sometime last week, some website put together a list of their favorite episode titles. Alas, Stargate failed to make the list. To rectify that oversight, I’ve decided to put together a list of My Top 10 Favorite Stargate Titles:

**snip**

2) There But For the Grace of God Go I: Best Title For An AU Episode Ever! - because, at the end of the day, this is what is at the heart of every great A.U. story: the path not followed, the road not taken (coincidentally, the title of another SG-1 A.U. episode).
                      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...pisode-titles/
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I think this episode is one of my favorite AU's as well. And I've always loved the title.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry... but writers and actors do get residuals from "new media." Remember that big strike from last year??

Comment

This is one of my favorite Stargate episodes. I think all the Parallel Universe episodes are my favorite! It was cool to see Jack as General, a great way, if it was, to foreshadow O'neills future.

Comment

Originally posted by Butlersgate View Post
                              maybe it didn't cross his mind considering what he was experiencing, if that happened to me i would not be like, OH I SHOULD GET THE VIDEO CAMERA THIS IS AMAZING. i'd be like, err i wanna get back to my reality rtfn
                              I hear ya.
                              sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

the first in many episodes in which we muck around with time and alternate realities. we never learn do we. a really good episode. Top 5
                                Some say that he has only one ear.
                                And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                                All we know is he's called
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X