No announcement yet.

Solitudes (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes sam realy does show her abilitys on this mission.
    sigpic

Comment

I though this was a kinda rushed ep. I wish it went on for a bit more. Loved the behind the scenes shot where AT does that thing about MacGyver!! I was amazed they stayed conscious for as long as they did considering they were in Antartica. Seriously though, I loved the show, just wish it went a bit longer.
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Well I don't think this had the potential to be a two parter and they only had 45 minutes. Another thing if they were there for much longer they would have been dead.
        sigpic

Comment

i thought it was great to find a second stargate when they took the stargate did they take the DHD who knows i knew the russians have the one from giza

Comment

Well they bring the gate and the DHD back to area 51 where it is used by the NID (see touchstone). SG1 retrieves the gate and takes it back to the SGC where it is sealed back up. After we where forced to beam the Egyptian gate aboard the beliskner we brought the beta gate to the SGC where we used it for 2 years. Until Anubis attacked us which lead to us strapping it onto a glider and flying it far enough away to prevent the explosion from blowing up earth.

to answer your question the beta DHD eventually died simply because it was so old. (we did bring it back for a short while)
            sigpic

Comment

Carter really was the tough one in this episode.
              No matter how tired she was, she kept on fighting.
              It truly showed us how committed she was, and still is,
              to her duty.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06
                Carter really was the tough one in this episode.
                No matter how tired she was, she kept on fighting.
                It truly showed us how committed she was, and still is,
                to her duty.
                Yep that's true!

One question why was Daniel the one figuring all this science stuff out? He figured out the gate jumping to a planet between earth and the planet they came from. He figured out the seismometer detecting the gate operation in Antarctica, that isn't really his area of expertise. I suppose tptb hadn't really figured out who Daniel was at that time.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
                  Well I don't think this had the potential to be a two parter and they only had 45 minutes. Another thing if they were there for much longer they would have been dead.
                  ... weeelllll they would have taken longer to die if only they'd been schlepping proper SOP kit around with them...
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                    I though this was a kinda rushed ep. I wish it went on for a bit more. Loved the behind the scenes shot where AT does that thing about MacGyver!! I was amazed they stayed conscious for as long as they did considering they were in Antartica. Seriously though, I loved the show, just wish it went a bit longer.
                    Yeah, this episode really highlights Sam. Although she eventually fails, it's her determination to Jack and her team.

And plus, who could not like all the Sam/Jack goodness?
                    my lovely avatar is courtesy of Lies, SamJackShipLover

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                      ... weeelllll they would have taken longer to die if only they'd been schlepping proper SOP kit around with them...
                      Yeah but they had presumably not expected to with up on an ice world/Antarctica during that mission therefore, they did not have suitable equipment for the conditions.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

This is also one of my favorite episodes. Haven't seen it in a while but I'll address a few things that people bring up about this episode:

Dialing another address - First, they had just dialed Earth and had an apparently successful connection, so they knew nothing was wrong with the Earth gate. They were in a dire situation and what they knew of the Stargate at that time would lead them to believe it was impossible that there was a second gate on Earth. Second I remember, but it has been a while since I've seen this so I may be wrong, Carter saying something about the DHD might not even work if they could get it dug out. So I think it would be a logical assumption under the circumstances that the gate might not have been able to dial another address.

About the Antarctic gate being the primary gate because of the DHD - If a gate is buried it will not accept incoming connections even if a DHD is connected to make it the Primary gate. This is the chronology that seems to fit with the episode: The ancients left Earth and the gate was buried. The Goa'uld rise to a spacefaring level using Unas as hosts and the stargate network minus Earth. There are other humanoid species out there seeded by the ancients, but they are scattered and the Goa'uld do not encounter them. Ra finds Earth and brings a Stargate there, then we have the rise of the Human Goa'uld empire and the seeding of the stars with true Humans. Then we have the rebellion on Earth and Ra's stargate is lost and the planet is marked Off-limits by Ra. Apophis decides to test this and dials earth but unbeknownst to the Goa'uld the Antarctic gate has become unburied and the serpent guard is sent there. Unfortunately, the gate was buried for so long that the DHD never received a correlative update and could not successfully dial back out leaving the serpent guard trapped. Once the egypt gate was unburied and connected to our dialing computer it was back on the gate network and appeared to have a more up to date coordinate set so it became the dominant gate. We know that the antarctic gate was not able to receive wormholes without using a "gate jump" while the NID was using it because SG-1 discovered that they were using it by screening for the gate jump signature in the gate diagnostic logs. Obviously the guys at the NID were able to fix the dialing out issue but something kept that gate from resuming it's role as the dominant earth gate. We can assume it's a problem with eh DHD.

Well, that is more than I intended to type, but I think that accounts for most of the serious anomolies. The explanations seem to work ok with accepted canon.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                          Yeah but they had presumably not expected to with up on an ice world/Antarctica during that mission therefore, they did not have suitable equipment for the conditions.
                          will it get boring and repetitive if I keep shouting "SOPs"?
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
                            Well they bring the gate and the DHD back to area 51 where it is used by the NID (see touchstone). SG1 retrieves the gate and takes it back to the SGC where it is sealed back up. After we where forced to beam the Egyptian gate aboard the beliskner we brought the beta gate to the SGC where we used it for 2 years. Until Anubis attacked us which lead to us strapping it onto a glider and flying it far enough away to prevent the explosion from blowing up earth.

to answer your question the beta DHD eventually died simply because it was so old. (we did bring it back for a short while)
                            Thank you for your clarification.

Sam rocked in this episode.

And who didn't love the sidearm joke?
                            my lovely avatar is courtesy of Lies, SamJackShipLover

Comment

Oh, the gate never received correlative updates so the Jaffa couldn't dial out! Sam explained that and that's why she reset the DHD isn't it? I'd forgotten or hadn't understood it at that point maybe. That's cool. Thanks Merlin's_Legacy.
                              "Do you people practice being vague?"

Comment

About them potentially dialing out using the 2nd gate and then re-dialing back to Earth:

I think the reason they might not have done it was

1. They might not have thought of it; Carter was convinced it was a DHD problem, not something larger
                                2. They didn't have a MALP; I think it was in the same episode but I'm not sure: Daniel mentioned how several of the planets that SG teams had visited were now no longer habitable, so it's safe to assume that they didn't want to get stranded in a place as hostile.

Comment

Working...
                                X