No announcement yet.

Solitudes (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite bit in this ep is where Jack says "Its my side arm, i swear." *chuckle*
    Shipper Haven eBay Page --- Shipper Haven Website
    Shipper Haven Facebook Page --- Shipper Haven Twitter Page
    Shipper Haven - A safe haven for you and your TV, Movie and Literary ships.

Comment

This is the one with that famous Macgyver blooper.

Comment

I'd like to offer up for discussion a situation that has been bugging me regarding this episode, which doesn't prevent me from considering it among my very favorites. If you look through the Antarctic gate when it's shown, the kawoosh has obviously dug out a path through several ice "walls" behind the gate. Based on the direction Jack and Sam were thrown, and where the DHD is found, the front is in the opposite direction. Am I correct in understanding that the kawoosh only does its... well... "kawooshing" towards the front of the gate?
        Spoiler:

I was also wondering about a kawoosh situation from season 7's "Death Knell." Since the gate was knocked over face down, it created what Jack called "the perfect foxhole" for them to hide in from enemy fire, if necessary. The only problem is, if they were in this lovely foxhole while doing a manual dial, the same kawoosh that dug the hole would disintegrate them when the wormhole formed!

That's the exact same reason that they gave for NOT being able to dial while Teal'c was digging his way out of the hole the gate made in season 3's "A Hundred Days." They knew dialing again, from either direction, would disintegrate Teal'c with the kawoosh. They did a great job explaining how they could dial in to a buried gate with the melted naquadah shield idea, enabling them to use the kawoosh to excavate a cavern after Sam got rid of the shield. They were very careful not to kill Teal'c by establishing another wormhole, although it's unfortunate they forgot about this entire situation when discussing whether or not it was safe to go to the Alpha site in "Death Knell." I have considered that perhaps it was because Sam wasn't there to remind them... since she's the one they were desperate to go look for. So, I suppose that will do for an explanation for that one.

But can anybody reconcile the problem with the gate in "Solitudes" for me? I like it when the Stargate universe is as believable and as consistent as possible. That's one reason I like the Unanswered Questions, Analysis, Notes, etc at the end of GateWorld's Summaries - they often explain something incongruous to my satisfaction. Even if the explanation is far-fetched, if it's at least theoretically possible, then I'm satisfied and all is right with the Stargate world.

But there isn't even a Summary page for either "Solitudes" let alone any interesting comments at the bottom! There isn't even have any Reviews, just a transcript and 3 measly pictures. What's up with that? For an episode that everybody seems to agree belongs in the top 10, there isn't much info about it. I've read through lots of forum topics, as well as checked for comments or discussion on this topic at other websites, but haven't found anything.

So just what exactly has been established regarding the kawoosh? It kills anyone caught in it, it's only supposed happen at the front of the gate, it can dig holes and melt ice, apparently. What else? Any comments? Suggestions? Ideas that could explain the melted ice walls behind the gate in "Solitudes?" All input and opinions are requested and appreciated. Thanks!
        ---------------------
        MaxMacGyver
        Last edited by Skydiver; 21 March 2006, 06:42 AM.

Comment

ive been thinking, and talking to a friend..
          now according to this episode..
          the Beta gate (antartica one in this episode)
          has a different PoO.
          yet even when they used the beta gate after the alpha fell into the ocean from space [and russians picking it up]
          they used the :
          /\
          symbol.
          id just like to say.. what the hell and any theories on how they can use that PoO and the gate NOT have that symbol on it (say the producers and whatnot changed the model in the gateroom set to show the newen but forgot abou tthat rofl)
          ack comp crash coming lol.. finish later.

Comment

basically, they kept using/showing the original PoO /\ because

a) no one remembered that it'd have a different Poo
            b) they didn't have the time/money/inclination to shoot new stock footage
            c) didn't think any of us would notice a little thing like that
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I was also wondering about a kawoosh situation from season 7's "Death Knell." Since the gate was knocked over face down, it created what Jack called "the perfect foxhole" for them to hide in from enemy fire, if necessary. The only problem is, if they were in this lovely foxhole while doing a manual dial, the same kawoosh that dug the hole would disintegrate them when the wormhole formed!
              They weren't going to Dial the gate whil it was still face down. They pulled it so it was vertical again.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

Another ting about this episode. That if only Carter had thought to dialed a different planet juts once. Then everything would have turn out allrite and we would'nt know about the second gate at all
                sigpic
                Banner By JME2

Comment

I thought that Carter thought they were on a different planet. So that is why she didn't dial a different one.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                    I thought that Carter thought they were on a different planet. So that is why she didn't dial a different one.
                    I know, but ya think she might have realised the problem might have been at the other end, and tried a different address.
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

True, very true but if that happen it would be a very short episode.

Comment

It's not often that a plot-hole that huge (and, it has to be said, daft) can exist without derailing the whole episode. Solitudes was just so great in every other way though that it still stands as a Top Ten one.

Madeleine

Comment

It's a pretty big plot hole. But it doens't change that it's a great episode. One thing I think every time I see it though is, "damn, it's a good thing they weren't on a mission to a warm weather planet" because they could have come back in less clothing

Aside from the obvious problems re: the PoO that continue through the use of the Beta Gate, and the fact that I think Carter should have thought about dialing another planet (at least a warmer planet), I also sort of wonder why Daniel was the only one to notice the shaking. It's not like he was the only one around the SGC, even very early in the morning.

Comment

One of the best, not just cause Sam and jack are to gether, im not a shiper honest, but i consider this Stargate: Atlantis 1.01

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

I'm Anubis

I really like Solitudes but it has been a while since I've seen it.I only saw it once and I'll have to wait unline it comes available in season box then I see one of my favourite episodes back
                              Finally
                              Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                                They found the oldest gate... the are continued to frozen and the lost city.
                                There was a thread on if the Earth's Stargate was the oldest but that isn't true.It is ONE of the oldest but not the oldest.As you are aware there is no naquahdah in our solarsystem and the gate works on naquahdah so you see what I'm tying to say here.
                                Lord Zedd

Comment

Working...
                                X