No announcement yet.

Solitudes (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, that's not what Hammond is implying at all.

Spoiler:
    CARTER
    General, you came through the Stargate for us…
    HAMMOND
    Not exactly, Captain.
    (To one of the rescue team)
    A team from the SGC will be arriving within the hour to secure this area. In the meantime let's get these people home.

It sounds like Hammond and the rescue team got there as fast as they could and another team, probably specialized in securing classified areas or something, was on their way as well. Perhaps they came with Hammond but were still at McMurdo or maybe they left after Hammond had already gone to rescue his people.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
      LMAO oh man...I laughed for a good 5 minutes after seeing that. Thank you for adding the link!!

Comment

Re the joke--I've always loved the way RDA looks over his shoulder at the director and stares.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

This is definitely on the list of favorite episodes of Season 1. I found the frustration and anxiety fro the SGC to find Sam and Jack very moving. You were there clenching your hands and running on coffee and sleepless nights trying to find them. You were also able to see a stronger bond form between Sam and Jack as they tried to survive. Jack told Sam about his botched mission in Iran/Iraq and how the thought of Sara helped him. At the end, I think she answered as Sara to give Jack that last ray of peace before their supposed death. Some of my favorite moments were:

*Jack "Its very hard to sleep with broken ribs when someone is sleeping on you"
          *Sam "um Coronel?" Jack "It's my sidearm, I sear" (I also giggle every time)
          *Jack "Follow my order, please. Please" (probably the first time I ever hear him say please without a sarcastic tone. He wants to make sure she is safe so he can die knowing at least one of them made it out alive)
          *Daniel "What happens when you dial your own phone number?" Turns to Tea'c "Wrong person to ask"
          *Appearance of Siler, including lines, before he becomes "that SGC technitian that is always getting injured"
          *2 Gates!!!! and the reason why they also meet people of different Earth religions and timelines

Comment

This was an EXTREMELY important episode!
            If it wasn't for this episode, the Stargate series would be different :0

Comment

GREAT episode! Especially like the fact that Hammond goes there in person. You don't see him outside the SGC very often.

Jack has some awesome one-liners, of course. The 'sidearm' is one, and of course the line about him not saying anything about...I think it was broken ribs?.....because he thought Carter might try to put a splint on them.

Oh, and that MacGyver outtake! That one kills me. "I'm stuck on a glacier with Macgyver!!!"
              "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

so many many issues with this ep. So I'll condense it down to:

SAM PUT YOUR FREAKING HELMET ON

and

at this point I wonder what their SOP kit is because they are woefully underequipped

and

how the heck do you make the leap to having 2 Stargates on the planet.

a pretty "meh" ep for me.

ETA: forgot to add. Naughty Sam and Jack. The military undergo first aid training each year and the treatment for hypothermia is: get into one sleeping bag and both get naked.

(oh and: General Hammond. GET A FREAKING HAT ON)
                Last edited by Major_Clanger; 30 September 2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I think daniel made the leep cause each time they were trying to dial into the SGC, the gate room shook. Now since they put dampners on the SGC's gate that should not have been happening, so it logically meant there was another gate in operation on earth.

Comment

Why the hell didn't Carter try dialling another planet? Just goes to show how stupid a genius can be, I guess.

Sure, a busy-tone doesn't stop you from trying the same number over and over again until eventually it'll connect, but gates aren't telephones no matter how many paralels there are between the two systems. She didn't have anything to loose from trying.

It'll just be my everlasting peeve with this episode, I guess.

Anyhow, hello Atlantis in the distant future (7 seasons from now anyway)...

I kinda like the look of the gate in the ice, and the hole behind it made by the vortex.

And last but not least... isn't there a blooper somewhere with AT adlibbing something about MacGyvering the DHD back together? Which had RDA rather baffled at the time.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I prefer to think of it as Sam not knowing any "safe" addresses at the time. It's still early in the show, they have no allies yet and the only time she dials the gate is either off-world using the DHD to get home or maybe in the control room, but the latter seems to be handled by enlisted personnel if it's not automated yet. Don't forget they use those strange planet designations "based on a binary code the computer uses for extrapolation" whenever referring to the planet they're going to visit and probably only use that (rather than the actual glyphs) in their mission (de)briefings and reports too.

Now, if it had been Daniel I'd say it would be more likely he knows more addresses but Sam seemed kinda partial to (and defensive about) her designations.

Who knows, maybe this adventure was the reason everyone at the SGC had to start memorizing gate addresses to "safe" planets!
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

The Land of Light seemed like a good place to start... however, I guess you're right somehow that they didn't learn gate adresses until after this mishap.

Comment

For me, it always comes back to: they were trying to get home and had nothing that would indicate that the problem wasn't on their end. Not to mention the effects of stress, cold and sleeplessness.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Standard procedure in further episodes was if Earth was unavailable you dial the Alpha Site or an off world base. Thier may have been no Alpha Site but it seems a gap in logic to not try other gates to see if the problem is Earth or the Stargate Jack or Sam are on.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

All good points. I guess it wouldn't have been the same if they'd dialed elsewhere!

And I do wonder if Sam would have been able to get Jack through the gate with his injuries etc without him dying. She's a trained field medic (or maybe she became one later, she mentioned it at some point) so she probably would have figured he should stay put, while she went through (to another planet) and then dialed Earth to get help... except she wouldn't know where she left Jack! I guess maybe she and/or Daniel would still be able to figure out the thing about the second gate on Earth but would it be in time? Without Sam there Jack probably would have died sooner rather than later, especially when he was already severely hypothermic (no shivering etc anymore) and bleeding internally. No Sam means no sharing of bodyheat so he might have been dead by the time they reached Antarctica...

Not sure if this is a good analogy, but if I have a key and the lock won't open right away I'm not going to try the house/building next door to see if maybe their door will open even though I rationally know keys can open (other) doors/locks...
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                                She's a trained field medic...
                                It didn't show much, if you ask me. I think Jack would agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X