No announcement yet.

Solitudes (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite episode, what can I say? I just love the feel of it. As much as I hate mushy-gushy stuff, its the first episode that you can clearly see that O'Neill and Carter love each other and I have to say they are meant for each other. Just my thoughts.
    Don't forget the romantic interlude between O'Neil and Sam in "Broca's Divide"!

The observation that Carter should have dialed another planet is right on - I missed that myself. I guess you could argue that she and O'Neil were malnourished and sleep deprived and so weren't thinking clearly.

Comment

Sam and Jack's snuggle party made this episode. Very well done.

Rating: 9/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...solitudes.html
      My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
      http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is a pretty good episode with a great twist. It's also Siler's first appearance!
        sigpic
        Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

First off let me say that I really like this episode.

However, the fact that daniel is the person who figures it all out is kind of troublesome. I mean i wish they had more experts that could help figure this stuff out like they do in future seasons. It seems like without SG-1 nothing would ever get done. I mean there are a lot of smart people in the world, wouldn't it be prudent to put them at that facility?
          sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed this ep!

Wonderful Jack scenes. What I really like about Jack is that his body may be broken, but his sense of humor is always in tact. And I greatly admire his command of Sam when Sam was panicking. He's so calm. I guess since he's a soldier he has learned accept the consequences of his job.

This the first ep where I really admired Sam. I felt her frustrations and despair.

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post

Wonderful Jack scenes. What I really like about Jack is that his body may be broken, but his sense of humor is always in tact. And I greatly admire his command of Sam when Sam was panicking. He's so calm. I guess since he's a soldier he has learned accept the consequences of his job.

This the first ep where I really admired Sam. I felt her frustrations and despair.
              Good points. Jack shows himself as a strong leader. Sam was so determined to get Jack out of there (injured CO, not shippy, imho) and I think she learned a lot from O'Neill about not giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post

Originally posted by jckfan55
                Good points. Jack shows himself as a strong leader. Sam was so determined to get Jack out of there (injured CO, not shippy, imho) and I think she learned a lot from O'Neill about not giving up.
                You both have mentioned Jack and Sam a lot, but I really thought this episode spoke volumes of Daniel and General Hammond. Daniel's inability to let go of his friends magnifies throughout the entire series. In my opinion Daniel takes the maternal role for Sam, Teal'c, and especially Jack. Hammond on the other hand showed the qualities that every General should have, that being the ability to detach from the men and women under his command.
                sigpic

Comment

An awesome episode, I liked this episode for a number of years and still after not having watched it for awhile it still delivers. An awesome storyline, good character development and acting, nice music and good shots and special effects relating to the stargate.

In regards to Sam not dialling another friendly planet all her scenarios she thought of didn't involve another gate being on earth. So I assume she thought if dialling earth didn't work then dialling another planet wouldn't either. But we all know the real explanation because the plot wouldn't of worked if they got home so quickly - they never would of realised they had a second gate (well at least not until much later).

I like how everyone at the SGC was pulling together, work longer, not sleeping and trying everything they could think of to rescue two of their own. Oh and Sgt. Silar's first episode, he got a pretty good role with a bit of speaking and such. I like how Gen. Hammond told him he had half the time and he said he couldn't class Cap. Kirk and Scotty right there.

I agree with captain jake Daniel just had that couldn't give up attitude and do anything to save his friends, probably especially since in a few episodes back they thought he was dead but still went back and found him.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

That blooper never gets old!

Yes, this is the episode filled with all kinds of warm fuzzy shippy-ness (in an ice cold "gotta-conserve-body-heat" kinda way).

I don't have any worthy comments to add. I agree that it's disconcerting that Daniel is the one to figure it out and that the SGC lacks the number of experts that come in later seasons. I'll just add some of the funniest dialogue btw Sam/Jack:

Sam: What's wrong with your chest?
                    Jack: I think I cracked a rib.
                    Sam: Why didn't you say something?
                    Jack: I was afraid you'd put a splint on it.
                    later...
                    Sam: Uh, Colonel
                    Jack: It's my sidearm, I swear.
                    (Sam laughs.)
                    Jack: No giggling!

Comment

Definitly A great episode. Plus it's the first sign of Jack and Sam's romanticness.

Comment

The sidearm comment is the funniest in this episode. And AT's Macgyver blooper is hysterical. The acting was great, the two of them quite tender toward one another. I think Sam and Jack have a good friendship at this point in the series and this experience just brings them closer together. I don't think they had feelings for one another at this point, but I do think the experience helped those feelings develop.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by RobertF View Post
                          The observation that Carter should have dialed another planet is right on - I missed that myself. I guess you could argue that she and O'Neil were malnourished and sleep deprived and so weren't thinking clearly.
                          That seems to be the most reasonable explanation, one that I have no problem whatsoever accepting - Sam was so desperately intent on getting home that all other possibilities completely slipped her mind.

It occurs to me, however, that the writers could have let her try to dial out without success even without complicated explanations involving inactive gates, buried gates, and/or one gate trumping another.

It's been quite a while now since I watched the first season (I only looked this discussion up to find an answer to a question from a friend, whom I recently introduced to SG-1), but weren't we told early on in the series that the reason why SGC, in the movie, was unable to dial other planets than Abydos was because of planetary drift? The planets, or rather the stars, had moved so much in 10000 years that the address to Abydos, in relatively close proximity to Earth, was the only address that still worked. That is, until the stargate was realigned to account for those 10000 years of planetary drift.

Well, in that case we have an easy explanation for why Sam couldn't have dialed out even if she had tried (and it allows us to imagine/pretend that she did, off-screen): the Antarctic stargate was obviously not realigned, so the only address that would have worked was the address to Abydos (if even that; the Antarctic gate has been buried for even longer, so maybe the drift was too severe for even the Abydos address to work).

Comment

Originally posted by Groundsplitter View Post
                            That seems to be the most reasonable explanation, one that I have no problem whatsoever accepting - Sam was so desperately intent on getting home that all other possibilities completely slipped her mind.

It occurs to me, however, that the writers could have let her try to dial out without success even without complicated explanations involving inactive gates, buried gates, and/or one gate trumping another.

It's been quite a while now since I watched the first season (I only looked this discussion up to find an answer to a question from a friend, whom I recently introduced to SG-1), but weren't we told early on in the series that the reason why SGC, in the movie, was unable to dial other planets than Abydos was because of planetary drift? The planets, or rather the stars, had moved so much in 10000 years that the address to Abydos, in relatively close proximity to Earth, was the only address that still worked. That is, until the stargate was realigned to account for those 10000 years of planetary drift.

Well, in that case we have an easy explanation for why Sam couldn't have dialed out even if she had tried (and it allows us to imagine/pretend that she did, off-screen): the Antarctic stargate was obviously not realigned, so the only address that would have worked was the address to Abydos (if even that; the Antarctic gate has been buried for even longer, so maybe the drift was too severe for even the Abydos address to work).
                            Oh, nice explanation. That gate would indeed have been way off. On the other hand, does anyone remember the "correlative updates" the gates supposedly all did? It was mentioned in Avenger 2.0. Some how Earth went offline and was never able to be correlated, I guess, but I don't remember the explanation for that.

In the initial episodes I remember that they were only able to update one or two addresses a month, so it's possible Sam couldn't even remember any other gates to dial- there was no Alpha site. But I agree that the whole concept of dialing to another world was just not something anyone had ever though of, yet. And she had to keep trying to dial home in order to get the "busy signal" that caused the gate to shake back at the SGC- or else Daniel wouldn't have been able to figure it out.

Comment

So...Someone answer if this could have been a possible solution to their problem.

Instead of having to fly a rescue crew in from McMurdo, could they have done this? Could they have dialed the Alpha site and sent a rescue crew through. Then shut the stargate down at the SGC, then had the rescue crew dial Earth from the Alpha site. Wouldn't the gate at Antarctica been the gate to pick up the dial? If I understand the "gate jumping" theory, wouldn't this work? I was just thinking that it would have saved them some time. Then they could have fired the SGC Stargate back up once they had reached the Antarctic gate.

Anyways, just an idea that crossed my mind.
                              sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Originally posted by _Ancients_ View Post
                                So...Someone answer if this could have been a possible solution to their problem.

Instead of having to fly a rescue crew in from McMurdo, could they have done this? Could they have dialed the Alpha site and sent a rescue crew through. Then shut the stargate down at the SGC, then had the rescue crew dial Earth from the Alpha site. Wouldn't the gate at Antarctica been the gate to pick up the dial? If I understand the "gate jumping" theory, wouldn't this work? I was just thinking that it would have saved them some time. Then they could have fired the SGC Stargate back up once they had reached the Antarctic gate.

Anyways, just an idea that crossed my mind.
                                I'm not sure when the Alpha Site was first established. It existed by the time of "The Serpent's Lair" but it's up for debate when it was created.

However, by any means, it's a valid theory... and even if the Alpha Site wasn't used they could use a friendly planet like the Land of Light.
                                sigpic
                                Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Working...
                                X