Solitudes (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LHB View Post
    About them potentially dialing out using the 2nd gate and then re-dialing back to Earth:

I think the reason they might not have done it was

1. They might not have thought of it; Carter was convinced it was a DHD problem, not something larger
    2. They didn't have a MALP; I think it was in the same episode but I'm not sure: Daniel mentioned how several of the planets that SG teams had visited were now no longer habitable, so it's safe to assume that they didn't want to get stranded in a place as hostile.
    I think the 1st one pretty much covers why. Sam thought that they were transported to another planet, and that Daniel/Teal'c might have made it back to Earth. So I doubt she would have thought there was a 2nd gate on Earth, which is why she never tried dialing another planet. When they couldn't open the gate to Earth, she was conviced there was something wrong with the Gate and/or DHD.

This is one one my favourite eps through the years, one of the best of the 1st season.

Comment

this ep is cool it's still the first season and they already found a second earth gate

Comment

How far are the two gates seperated from eachother?

I was amazed to see Jackson and Teal'c as part of the rescue team

Comment

Originally posted by DutchCarterLover View Post
          How far are the two gates seperated from eachother?
          I'm not too sure if I understand the question. Do you mean where was the 2nd gate? It was in Antartica so not as far as the other side of the world far but there was quite a bit of distance.

I was amazed to see Jackson and Teal'c as part of the rescue team
          Why? Because of their injuries?

I loved this episode. It was one of the strongest of the first season and it's very integral to the whole series and subsequent episodes.

Wendy
          Hugs
          sigpic
          Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Is the Antartic Gate the one their still using now being as the first one was destroyed.
            STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
            legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

Um, I think so, biut here have been so mny changes, and my brain injury leaves gaps in my memory. Sorry.....
              On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I think Samantha Carter is exceedingly dumb in this episode, she could easily of tried dialing a friendly planet, but no, she had to keep on trying Earth over and over again...

Comment

Up to this point, iirc daniel always did the dialing and lots of times had to look at his note book to do so. SO i am wondering if she actually knew the addresses of some of those 'friendly planets'?

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-v9sCo7xZK0

Comment

I don't know if this has already been discussed somewhere or not, but I just read some of the posts and would like to add my own 2 cents:

a. Carter, even if she had thought of dialling another address, would not have been able to dial out to another planet anyway, as the Antarctic Stargate was inactive at the time - that is why, even though the Antarctic stargate had a DHD and would ordinarily "trump" the SGC gate, offworld SGC teams still came back to the SGC.

b. That the Antarctic gate was dormant is supported by the fact that Ra brought a gate to Earth - why bother if there is already a working one there? Also, Ra's gate wouldn't have worked had the Antarctic gate been working, but his did work.

c. No doubt that the trapped serpent guard at least tried to dial out to another planet, but couldn't - gate was inactive.

d. carter did manage to light up the stargate, but wouldn't have got further - i maintain no matter what she did, she coudn't have dialled out!

e. The NID did actually later get the Anarctic gate and DHD working. It would seem they somehow brought it out of dormancy. However they used it a few times, only to have the DHD run out of power not long after.

I think these points cover holes in the plot?

Comment

nicely put.

Comment

Originally posted by sharnee_1823 View Post
                          I think these points cover holes in the plot?
                          'cept for the HAT thing

ok, I'll get my coat
                          *runs away*
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Wow, great episode! I'm a newbie to the early seasons of SG1, and have been watching the Season 1 episodes thanks to Netflix. About 3/4 of the way through I began to suspect that O'Neil and Carter were on Earth (probably because the premise of SG Atlantis episodes I've watched is an Ancient base in Antarctica).

One of the interesting touches in the set design for this episode was the tunnel under the ice where O'Neil and Carter were stranded. Presumably the tunnel was carved out of the ice over the eons as the glacier moved past the stargate. If you knew how fast the ice was moving, you could estimate when the stargate was erected.

Comment

Welcome RobertF, Great point I never thought of that bit it makes sense now you point it out.

Comment

My favorite episode, what can I say? I just love the feel of it. As much as I hate mushy-gushy stuff, its the first episode that you can clearly see that O'Neill and Carter love each other and I have to say they are meant for each other. Just my thoughts.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Starlover1990

Comment

Working...
                                X