No announcement yet.

Fire and Water (112)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he was truly Furling don't you think they could have beaten the Goauld twice over. They didn't show any technology near the level of the others in the four race alliance.
    Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

I agre with Yu the Great. And there has been no hint of the guy being a Furling, but I can see your logic.
      http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

He wasn't a Furling. He belongs to a race known as the Oannes! (From Babylonian mythology) Unless the Furlings changed their name.... Like the Alterans, Lanteans, Gatebuilders, Ancestors, Ancients

The Oannes might have had ships..

From Fire and Water

Oannes: "Remember, Omoroca."

He turns on the machine, and two blue lasers appear to be going into both sides of his head.

DANIEL: "Omoroca." (starts to grunt and sniff. )"Omoroca." (His voice is getting louder, he is in pain). "And in that place there was Omoroca...A women who came forth from the Heavenly egg..." (Starts yelling)..."Ow, Oh…I can't!"

The Oannes turns the beam up higher.
        The Heavenly Egg could be a way of describing a spacecraft of some kind. And in the surviving writings from Babylon there are references to an egg that fell from the sky into the sea.

FRAGMENT OF HELLADIUS preserved by Photius
        (c. A.D. 820-c. 893)
        Preserved in the form of a summary (Codex 279)

Helladius recounts the story of a man named Oe who came out of the Red Sea having a fish-like body but the head, feet and arms of a man, and who taught astronomy and letters. Some accounts say that he came out of a great egg whence his name, and that he was actually a man, but only seemed a fish because he was clothed in 'the skin of a sea creature.'

"Helladius' account is extremely valuable , the more so because it is confirmed by the extant pictorial representations of this wise being (called 'the Egg-Born') who exited in a strange suit from some kind of vessel - likened to an egg - that 'fell' into the sea. Hyginus, Manilius and Xanthus all furnish other corroborating details, speaking of gods in honor of whom the fish-form is sacred, who plunged from the sky into the waters of the Euphrates. In another variant (found in the commentary in Germanicus' edition of Aratus) the power of a holy fish pushed ashore on the banks of the Euphrates near Babylon, the 'egg' out of which the 'deity' appeared. Before it landed in the waters, the egg-like vessel was of a luminous appearance.
        "At Babylon there was a great resort of people of various nations who inhabited Chaldaea and lived in a lawless manner like the beasts of the field. In the first year there appeared from that part of the Erythraean sea which borders Babylonia, an animal destitute of reason, by the name of Oannes, whose whole body was that of a fish. That under the fish's head he had another head, with feet also below, similar to those of a man, subjoined to the fish's tail. His voice too, and language was articulate and human. And a representation of him is preserved even to this day. This Being was accustomed to pass the day among men; but took no food at that season; and he gave them an insight into letters and sciences, and arts of every kind. He taught them to construct cities, to found temples, to compile laws, and explained to them the principles of geometrical knowledge. He made them distinguish the seeds of the earth, and showed them how to collect the fruits; in short, he instructed them in everything which could tend to soften manners and humanize their lives. From that time, nothing material has been added by way of improvement to his instructions. And when the sun had set, this Being Oannes, retired again into the sea, and passed the night in the deep; for he was amphibious. After this there appeared other animals like Oannes."
        Berossus, from Ancient Fragments (Isaac Preston Cory)
        From V. Pakhomov, 1999,
        As you can see, I have way too much free time!

Comment

they weren't furlings, they're called Oannes.
          Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
          sigpic

Comment

I thought the Furling were the fuzzy, Ewok-like creatures in 200. LOL
            sigpic

Comment

He might not belong to the Furlings !
              Indeed, we saw in the " Paradise Lost " (Season 6), that the corpses of the Furlings were human...

He wasn't a Furling. He belongs to a race known as the Oannes! (From Babylonian mythology)
              Indeed

Comment

I thought the fish was a jerk. He kind of blew off Daniel's friendship offer at the end.

Rating: 5/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...and-water.html
                My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
                http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

After watching this episode again, I realize that it wasn't really a bad thing that we never got to see Nem and his kind again. As I said on The Nox Episode Thread the thing that makes these aliens interesting is that they are mystical. If we get to know them to well, they are no longer mystical. It's the questions like was he the last of his kind?, Why was he a jerk?, Or what Omaroca was like? that make Fire and Water interesting.
                  sigpic

Comment

this episode showed how strong the bond is between the team. the others knew deep in their heart that daniel is still alive.

and there's a new interesting alien who is apparently long-lived and highly advanced. and this alien's mate is so nice to go to our planet and try and save us from the goauld. and it's also a good thing that the mate is a reasonable creature who didn't take out his anger on our planet/race.

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post
                      this episode showed how strong the bond is between the team. the others knew deep in their heart that daniel is still alive.

and there's a new interesting alien who is apparently long-lived and highly advanced. and this alien's mate is so nice to go to our planet and try and save us from the goauld. and it's also a good thing that the mate is a reasonable creature who didn't take out his anger on our planet/race.
                      I really liked the part when they went to Daniel's apartment and were packing up his stuff. I would really like to have an apartment like that some day. As a matter of fact my room looks a lot like that as it is. I agree that Nem was an awesome character, his technology was very impressive. I wonder if the energy he shot out of the palm of his hand was naturally occurring or if it came from a device he was wearing.
                      sigpic

Comment

OMG! They killed Daniel! *snort
                        That guy's got to have used up his nine lives (as Miyth's post above outlines).

I also liked Daniel's apartment - the fish tank was cool, but when is he ever there to feed the fish?

Sam, reading his diary like that, tsk tsk.

I think AT and RDM's acting was pretty good in this. Especially when they knew Daniel died but that they "knew" he was alive. It's always interesting to see an actor playing a character questioning their own sanity.

Comment

OMG! They killed Daniel! *snort
                          That guy's got to have used up his nine lives (as Miyth's post above outlines).

I also liked Daniel's apartment - the fish tank was cool, but when is he ever there to feed the fish?

Sam, reading his diary like that, tsk tsk.

I think AT and RDM's acting was pretty good in this. Especially when they knew Daniel died but that they "knew" he was alive. It's always interesting to see an actor playing a character questioning their own sanity.

Comment

I have a weak spot for flash back episodes, where you are shown the end before the beginning and middle - this was similar to those types of episodes.

The flash backs, the doubting and the bubbles/recurring memory was a cool touch.

Daniel's apartment was cool, pretty much how I had imagined it.

The memorial service was a nice touch with the reef going through the Stargate.

We always wondered (up until this point) what/who sparked the uprising interesting to note it was an alien. I guess they were trying to save humans from becoming enslaved and being wiped out like this race seems to have been. Stand up and be counted then run and hide kind of thing.

Hehe I always have to chuckle when General Hammond tells Jack "you know that's my car don't you" after smashing his window, Jack replies "you should get that window fixed".

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

Originally posted by pritnep View Post
                              I have a weak spot for flash back episodes, where you are shown the end before the beginning and middle - this was similar to those types of episodes.

The flash backs, the doubting and the bubbles/recurring memory was a cool touch.

Daniel's apartment was cool, pretty much how I had imagined it.

The memorial service was a nice touch with the reef going through the Stargate.

We always wondered (up until this point) what/who sparked the uprising interesting to note it was an alien. I guess they were trying to save humans from becoming enslaved and being wiped out like this race seems to have been. Stand up and be counted then run and hide kind of thing.

Hehe I always have to chuckle when General Hammond tells Jack "you know that's my car don't you" after smashing his window, Jack replies "you should get that window fixed".
                              He was very calm about his car window being smashed in like that. Cool under pressure, that Hammond.

Was Nem's race wiped out? I didn't catch that. I was wondering why there was never any mention of trying to go back and talk with him about his toys/tech.

Lately I've been resisting the urge to walk up to complete strangers and ask "What fate Omoroca!?!"

Comment

I like fish-people :3 ..and I like Daniel Jackson (23 languages, wtf!?) so this is one of my favourite episodes =)

Comment

Working...
                                X