• Show
Clear All

as in they dont go back
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
      I want that story to be dead.
      And why exactly is that?

I agree with Seshat and jtg, this is one storyline they could have resurrected and probably could have found a lot of stuff to put in that episode. It would have been great in a S4 or S5 storyline, but by now, unfortunately, it is probably too late. Audiences might not remember it, the new watchers from S9 on definitely won't. And we don't want it to seem like a Deus ex machina. "We need something to use against the Ori... Hmm. Wait! Let's go back to Earnest's planet." (They go off in their spaceship and find some cool stuff.) "Look, everything we need to defeat the Ori and all our enemies. What an awesome discovery. All our problems are solved."
      Ok, I'm not saying that would happen. Used wisely, the information could make for a great story. But....
      I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
      Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

The castle is at the bottom of the ocean where it belongs. Ernest would have mentioned anything else of importance and it would be nearly imposible to find the "book".
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with captain jake. Even if the castle wasn't completely demolished when SG-1 left, by now it is definitely gone (nine years, and every year that storm comes? Nothing would survive that). And I think Ernest did say that there wasn't anything else but the castle on the planet.
          Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

I told you so!!! haha just kidding but ya I did not even take into consideration the storm coming every year that would make it even more difficult.(Good point)
            sigpic

Comment

So what did Earnest eat for 30 years? Did he pack thousands of pounds of food, just in case?
              SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

I assume there was vegatation on the planet.
                sigpic

Comment

I just rewatched the episode, and seeing the actor playing Beckett, whoa, surprised me. And he is a hell lot thinner, too!

Going back? Hmm, I don't see the necessity. I guess the repository on that planet would only be a fragment of what is stored inside Atlantis. They could learn more about the Nox and the Furlings (Asgard an Ancients are quite well known by now), but thats all.
                  Free Jaffa

Comment

Ok that just brings up the annoying fact of why haven't we asked the asgard about the furlings.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, this is an episode I really enjoy every time I watch. A wonderful mix of poignant and funny, with some terrific character moments - particularly between Jack and Daniel and Catherine and Earnest. Beautifully constructed with a tight script. Ah, those were the good old days.

I think someone has already mentioned it, but I love that even Teal'c gets in a few good quotes. The 'We know what we've got, so what do we need?"/ "We have a Stargate. We need a DVD." line cracks me up every time. All the funnier for being delivered deadpan.

I didn't know prior to reading this thread that the actor who played Earnest had died. Which perhaps explains the glaring absence of Earnest in Mobius. Although, TPTB have never seemed to balk at revisiting characters with new actors playing them. But I think, on the whole, I'd rather Earnest didn't appear than that he'd been played by someone else. A throwaway line to explain his absence would have been welcome though, instead of ignoring him completely.

Unlike many posters here, I've never thought there was any need to explore the plot in this one further. And I seriously doubt the castle survived - it was already falling apart when they jumped through the gate. I suppose there might be a case for trying to salvage it underwater, but I tend to agree that by this point there wouldn't be much left.

Great episode. Must go watch it again...

Albion
                      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Haha if you do read the past page or so I made most of those points haha great minds think a like.
                        sigpic

Comment

I LOVE this episode. It had all the elements that make - made - SG-1 great.

A Daniel eager to explore and seek knowedlge, a Jack determined not to leave any of his men behind and most importantly - an intelligent Jack.

This episode held so many terrific character moments that it is hard to label them all. The only thing I found hard to believe was that Carter knew Catherine - I found that as unnecessary and on the writer's part a desperate attempt to justify her presence on the show.

Otherwise a wonderful episode. After S3 we rarely had episodes reaching this grandeur and enscapulating what Staragte SG-1 is in 45 minutes.

I think it is too late to go back to Earnest's planet now - the show has grown so far beyond it (and not in a good way) that it would be handled poorly if it was rehased. I believe that they could have revisited the planet and asked the Asgard more about the Furlings in S4 (though S6 may have held the opportunity) but TPTB did not sezie the chance when they had it.
                          The man who opened the way.

The man who led the way.

"It will take you a million light years from home. But will it bring you back?" Stargate the movie

A mystery ... a secret ... a threshold ... to the future. Stargte the movie

The perfect SG-1 team: Colonel Jack, Daniel, Major Ferretti and Jonas

Comment

LOL don't get me started on that subject please!!

(Remember, we dislike what we do not understand)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
                              LOL don't get me started on that subject please!!

(Remember, we dislike what we do not understand)
                              I do not know how to respond as I do not understand what you are referring to in your post.
                              The man who opened the way.

The man who led the way.

"It will take you a million light years from home. But will it bring you back?" Stargate the movie

A mystery ... a secret ... a threshold ... to the future. Stargte the movie

The perfect SG-1 team: Colonel Jack, Daniel, Major Ferretti and Jonas

Comment

The fact you think the show is declining in quality.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X